Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,509 members, 7,826,935 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Thread for South Korea prospective students - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Thread for South Korea prospective students (537673 Views)

Nigerians In South Korea / Any Prospective Students For University Of Essex, Southend On Sea Campus? / South Korea Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (189) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by acadollar(m): 7:42am On Apr 16, 2015
joesandy:
Greetings bosses,
I will like to find out whether I can use my medical laboratory science license to find a hospital work over there and can I work in the hospital while doing my masters over there?
You can't get a medical job here with it unless u further ure education here..Like doing ure Masters and Phd here
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by wiseworld: 11:03pm On Apr 18, 2015
Good work acadollar

1 Like

Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by acadollar(m): 2:47pm On Apr 20, 2015
Here are some of culture shocks you may encounter(and I have encountered) when you go here in Korea. Whether you’ll come here to visit, to work or to live, you can take note of this list for your own perusal in the future.

1. Wreaths

I think one of the first few culture shocks I encountered was seeing wreaths in various celebrations. In Philippines, you can only see wreaths during a funeral. In fact, it symbolizes death or mourning in our culture. However, I was so shocked when I saw people displaying wreaths when a new business is opened, or if there’s a wedding, or if somebody is celebrating an anniversary. Just try to take a walk along Myeongdong or Namdaemun or any big markets in Korea and you will more likely see wreaths display all over the places. Don’t make the same mistake I made, don’t think somebody is mourning over a death because it could just be an opening of new business.

2. The Korean men affection

Guys wrapping each others arms while walking is a common scenario in Korea

I am from a culture where seeing two women holding hands or giving each other a kiss on the cheek is pretty normal and acceptable. But, that won’t give the same impression for men. Like the western culture, a guy being touchy-feely to other guy maybe suspected to be gay. Guys could just shake each other hands or pat each other in the back, but as far as experience is concerned, Korean men tend to be touchy. How many times a Korean ahjussi(adult male) held my hand feeling it as if we were close? Here in Korea, exchanging of sweet nothings and putting arms around another guy’s body are extremely common. A guy can be intimate with another guy as a sign of deeper friendship. They are even comfortable seeing each other naked. I once tried going to a public bath and I was shocked when I saw guys cleaning each other naked body, or play around with group of friends in a bath tub naked! Then I learned later on that it was pretty normal and in fact significant in Korean culture.

3. The squatter

Korea has an advance technology. Their buildings are made of modern designs and the people are so techie. Almost everything in Korea is automated and very sophisticated. But if there’s one thing in the past that made its way through to this generation, I’ll say it’s the squatty potty. A squatter is a small basin made of porcelain where you need to literally squat over to “do your thing”. The first time I saw this kind of toilet bowl was in a subway station. I was shocked because I don’t know what to do. So I decided to not let my stomach upset if I go around Korea especially if I am in an old building because the odd of having a squatty potty in the bathroom is big.

An example of squatty potty
Photo credit to Kaleena's Kaleidoscope

For some reason, some Koreans especially the old ones are more comfortable using this than the usual toilet bowl we have today. Apparently, it’s good for the health when you do squat position during the “you know what I mean”.

4. Free hugs! Anyone?

Free hugs is becoming a big trend in Korea nowadays. You can see them teenagers, boys and girls, holding big placard offering Free hugs to anybody. This maybe not new to some culture because I can see some of this trend especially in the Western Culture, but I guess Koreans are taking it to a higher level because they don’t only stand to offer free hugs, they also go around offering to anybody like selling hot cake in the market. To some extent, they go to public transportations and subways to ambush everybody with hugs. It’s weird but sweet. One time, I tried to join these two boys offering free hugs to the public. I hugged a lot of ahjummas (adult women).

Free hug in the subway

5. Pali Pali culture

This is for those who want to come here to work. When you are new to working in Korea, you may need to give it more time to adjust because you don’t only need to adjust to people or the working environment, you also need to adjust to this pali pali culture or “Hurry culture”. Don’t get intimated when your boss will tell you to work as fast and as hard as you can because for them, this is customary. If you can slack off to work in your own country, here in Korea, you’ll probably find it hard to do that same habit of yours. They are so workaholic and every single moment at work is important. For them, productivity is essential. No wonder why they are so progressive. I can’t even count how many times I was told the magic word “pali pali”. At first, it really annoys me, but it somehow makes you more effective and productive.

These are just 5 of the many culture shocks you may encounter when you go here in Korea. I’ll tell you, there are still hundreds of those weird customs and they are inevitable. Whether you like it or not, you’ll get to encounter it once you’re here. But I guess that’s where the fun comes.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by PURITYMYPRIDE(m): 5:47pm On Apr 20, 2015
My oga acadollar you are doing a wonderful job here.please i am having problem trying to get to you.i didnt understand this pm of a thing on nairaland.how do i get to you.i have serious thing to discuss with you.Remain bless dear brother.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by wiseworld: 11:48pm On Apr 20, 2015
Pali pali word,just make me remember one of my foreign Boss in comp that used to abuse english whn talking. Smile smile
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by acadollar(m): 12:38am On Apr 21, 2015
PURITYMYPRIDE:
My oga acadollar you are doing a wonderful job here.please i am having problem trying to get to you.i didnt understand this pm of a thing on nairaland.how do i get to you.i have serious thing to discuss with you.Remain bless dear brother.
i sent u a mail ..check
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by PURITYMYPRIDE(m): 2:05am On Apr 21, 2015
My oga i sent you a reply.hope you get it.please let me know.thank you.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by Artorius(m): 5:40am On Apr 21, 2015
acadollar:

Here are some of culture shocks you may encounter(and I have encountered) when you go here in Korea. Whether you’ll come here to visit, to work or to live, you can take note of this list for your own perusal in the future.

1. Wreaths

I think one of the first few culture shocks I encountered was seeing wreaths in various celebrations. In Philippines, you can only see wreaths during a funeral. In fact, it symbolizes death or mourning in our culture. However, I was so shocked when I saw people displaying wreaths when a new business is opened, or if there’s a wedding, or if somebody is celebrating an anniversary. Just try to take a walk along Myeongdong or Namdaemun or any big markets in Korea and you will more likely see wreaths display all over the places. Don’t make the same mistake I made, don’t think somebody is mourning over a death because it could just be an opening of new business.

2. The Korean men affection

Guys wrapping each others arms while walking is a common scenario in Korea

I am from a culture where seeing two women holding hands or giving each other a kiss on the cheek is pretty normal and acceptable. But, that won’t give the same impression for men. Like the western culture, a guy being touchy-feely to other guy maybe suspected to be gay. Guys could just shake each other hands or pat each other in the back, but as far as experience is concerned, Korean men tend to be touchy. How many times a Korean ahjussi(adult male) held my hand feeling it as if we were close? Here in Korea, exchanging of sweet nothings and putting arms around another guy’s body are extremely common. A guy can be intimate with another guy as a sign of deeper friendship. They are even comfortable seeing each other naked. I once tried going to a public bath and I was shocked when I saw guys cleaning each other naked body, or play around with group of friends in a bath tub naked! Then I learned later on that it was pretty normal and in fact significant in Korean culture.

3. The squatter

Korea has an advance technology. Their buildings are made of modern designs and the people are so techie. Almost everything in Korea is automated and very sophisticated. But if there’s one thing in the past that made its way through to this generation, I’ll say it’s the squatty potty. A squatter is a small basin made of porcelain where you need to literally squat over to “do your thing”. The first time I saw this kind of toilet bowl was in a subway station. I was shocked because I don’t know what to do. So I decided to not let my stomach upset if I go around Korea especially if I am in an old building because the odd of having a squatty potty in the bathroom is big.

An example of squatty potty
Photo credit to Kaleena's Kaleidoscope

For some reason, some Koreans especially the old ones are more comfortable using this than the usual toilet bowl we have today. Apparently, it’s good for the health when you do squat position during the “you know what I mean”.

4. Free hugs! Anyone?

Free hugs is becoming a big trend in Korea nowadays. You can see them teenagers, boys and girls, holding big placard offering Free hugs to anybody. This maybe not new to some culture because I can see some of this trend especially in the Western Culture, but I guess Koreans are taking it to a higher level because they don’t only stand to offer free hugs, they also go around offering to anybody like selling hot cake in the market. To some extent, they go to public transportations and subways to ambush everybody with hugs. It’s weird but sweet. One time, I tried to join these two boys offering free hugs to the public. I hugged a lot of ahjummas (adult women).

Free hug in the subway

5. Pali Pali culture

This is for those who want to come here to work. When you are new to working in Korea, you may need to give it more time to adjust because you don’t only need to adjust to people or the working environment, you also need to adjust to this pali pali culture or “Hurry culture”. Don’t get intimated when your boss will tell you to work as fast and as hard as you can because for them, this is customary. If you can slack off to work in your own country, here in Korea, you’ll probably find it hard to do that same habit of yours. They are so workaholic and every single moment at work is important. For them, productivity is essential. No wonder why they are so progressive. I can’t even count how many times I was told the magic word “pali pali”. At first, it really annoys me, but it somehow makes you more effective and productive.

These are just 5 of the many culture shocks you may encounter when you go here in Korea. I’ll tell you, there are still hundreds of those weird customs and they are inevitable. Whether you like it or not, you’ll get to encounter it once you’re here. But I guess that’s where the fun comes.
Here in Europe, I saw the free hugs thing for the first time. It's so annoying, but thanks a lot Bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by Arnoldo(m): 10:39am On Apr 21, 2015
hello acadollar.pls the transcripts you used was it your students copy or did your school mail it instead. I am planning on applying to 7 schools for their scholarships so I am considering the costs of sending my transcript separate from my application package.
someone mentioned using EMS post office for my postages, I didn't get the cost estimate of sending my application package to a school in south Korea. I also want to know what specific documents you had to notarize. You also stated that most scholarships are offered after the first semester.. does it mean I can't get a full scholarship before going like Gwangju institute of science and technology ( GIST) or KAIST.
Did you have to take TOFEL before getting admitted
thanks.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by Arnoldo(m): 10:53am On Apr 21, 2015
please how much is a straight flight from Nigeria to south Korea and what air system is better .... I am asking because I saw where it was stated that for language course, you can leave with #500k. I am wondering if it includes flight fee too.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by acadollar(m): 12:29pm On Apr 21, 2015
Arnoldo:
hello acadollar.pls the transcripts you used was it your students copy or did your school mail it instead. I am planning on applying to 7 schools for their scholarships so I am considering the costs of sending my transcript separate from my application package.
someone mentioned using EMS post office for my postages, I didn't get the cost estimate of sending my application package to a school in south Korea. I also want to know what specific documents you had to notarize. You also stated that most scholarships are offered after the first semester.. does it mean I can't get a full scholarship before going like Gwangju institute of science and technology ( GIST) or KAIST.
thanks.
Get a letter stating that your previous studies have been in English, the easiest way to get scholarship here is to have a good grades after ist semester

1 Like

Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by acadollar(m): 12:33pm On Apr 21, 2015
Arnoldo:
please how much is a straight flight from Nigeria to south Korea and what air system is better .... I am asking because I saw where it was stated that for language course, you can leave with #500k. I am wondering if it includes flight fee too.
The best way to check flight fee is by checking airlines website..check ethiopian airline and also note that the present naira dollar rate will increase flight fee in naija
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by pompido: 1:06pm On Apr 21, 2015
Arnoldo:
thanks.

I hail all the bosses in the house most especially acadollar.

@Arnold: The first question is what program are you looking at? BSc,MSc or P.Hd? As far as i know, in GIST if admitted as an MSc student you automatically qualify for free tuition, monthly stipend amongst other things. If your CGPA is over 3.0 or 3.5 after the first semester, you can get additional scholarship. I have just completed my application process with GIST and gotten the final receipt number so awaiting application decision so I can give a few insights to the process for GIST as i have been following the school since 2008 while in school. I simply got my school to send my transcript to my office saying it is for employment purposes and paid for courier to make it faster. I then made copies, notarized the copies at the ikeja high court and sent to all the schools i applied to. Please do not use EMS for anything ooo. Instead use the regular Nipost mail or worse case scenario, the nipost registered mail (better to use the nipost office at international airports like MMIA in lagos arrival lounge). My Nipost registered mail to GIST took about 3 weeks to get there and the school informed me when they got it. It is actually required to write TOEFL so you really cant hide from that. Some schools actually request for a letter from your school's HOD as cover for your ability in english but better to confirm the exact requirements before you send your documents. GIST also has a matriculation fee of an equivalent of 70k -80k naira which can be waived if you get a letter from your HOD supporting the waiver and you also write an essay explaining why you should be considered for the waiver (I accepted to pay the waiver (even after they mailed me to confirm) because i hope that will allow them evaluate my credentials objectively without the bias of someone coming to depend completely on their opportunities. at least that is how i look at it for now and the money isn't that much compared to paying $12k smiley ) I hope I have thrown some light on some of your questions. All the best in your endeavors.

@Acadollar: As you already know (from my comments above), I am looking at attending GIST for my M.Sc only (I no get time for P.Hd o) and would like to know what the economy is like in Cheomdan, Oryong-Dong Buk-Gu,Gwangju Area for an ICT person like me. it would indeed be helpful if you can enlighten me on what is obtainable in this area for computer networks and IT professionals in general after M.Sc programs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by Arnoldo(m): 11:02pm On Apr 22, 2015
pompido:

@Arnold: The first question is what program are you looking at? BSc,MSc or P.Hd? As far as i know, in GIST if admitted as an MSc student you automatically qualify for free tuition, monthly stipend amongst other things. If your CGPA is over 3.0 or 3.5 after the first semester, you can get additional scholarship. I have just completed my application process with GIST and gotten the final receipt number so awaiting application decision so I can give a few insights to the process for GIST as i have been following the school since 2008 while in school. I simply got my school to send my transcript to my office saying it is for employment purposes and paid for courier to make it faster. I then made copies, notarized the copies at the ikeja high court and sent to all the schools i applied to. Please do not use EMS for anything ooo. Instead use the regular Nipost mail or worse case scenario, the nipost registered mail (better to use the nipost office at international airports like MMIA in lagos arrival lounge). My Nipost registered mail to GIST took about 3 weeks to get there and the school informed me when they got it. It is actually required to write TOEFL so you really cant hide from that. Some schools actually request for a letter from your school's HOD as cover for your ability in english but better to confirm the exact requirements before you send your documents. GIST also has a matriculation fee of an equivalent of 70k -80k naira which can be waived if you get a letter from your HOD supporting the waiver and you also write an essay explaining why you should be considered for the waiver (I accepted to pay the waiver (even after they mailed me to confirm) because i hope that will allow them evaluate my credentials objectively without the bias of someone coming to depend completely on their opportunities. at least that is how i look at it for now and the money isn't that much compared to paying $12k smiley ) I hope I have thrown some light on some of your questions. All the best in your endeavors.

@Acadollar: As you already know (from my comments above), I am looking at attending GIST for my M.Sc only (I no get time for P.Hd o) and would like to know what the economy is like in Cheomdan, Oryong-Dong Buk-Gu,Gwangju Area for an ICT person like me. it would indeed be helpful if you can enlighten me on what is obtainable in this area for computer networks and IT professionals in general after M.Sc programs
pls thanks a lot for this response it was very helpful. I feel like I have had a blessed day by stumbling upon this response. thanks.
I still have a few questions though.
please about how much did notarizaton cost you?? secondly what other documents did you notarize
thirdly some schools require that the transcrips be in a sealed envelope. do I overlook that
lastly please how much did postage by NIPOST cost per package
Thanks.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by pompido: 11:31pm On Apr 22, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]
Arnoldo:

pls thanks a lot for this response it was very helpful. I feel like I have had a blessed day by stumbling upon this response. thanks
I still have a few questions though.
please about how much did notarizaton cost you??
secondly what other documents did you notarize
thirdly some schools require that the transcrips be in a sealed envelope. do I overlook that
lastly please how much did postage by NIPOST cost per package
Thanks.

You are most welcome. We are all here to help eachother.
Notarization at the Ikeja High Court, Lagos cost me between 200naira and 250naira per page depending on the negotiations.
Documents to be notarized depends on the school's requirements but in my case i notarized just my BSc Certificate and Transcripts
If the school explicitly states that they only accept transcripts directly from your school then you have no choice but to have your school send it directly. In my experience, most schools will accept notarized copies.
Using Registered Nipost Mail cost me less than 500naira to South korea

P.S: Had to confirm the matriculation fee because of the instability of our currency and discovered that it is about 120-130k now. it is a one time fee and still a lot better than paying $12k. Besides, GIST will refund your one way flight bill upon landing and registration so it kind of covers for the matriculation fee.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by Arnoldo(m): 11:42pm On Apr 22, 2015
acadollar:

The best way to check flight fee is by checking airlines website..check ethiopian airline and also note that the present naira dollar rate will increase flight fee in naija
Thanks dear
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by Arnoldo(m): 11:48pm On Apr 22, 2015
pompido:
[color=#006600][/color]

You are most welcome. We are all here to help eachother.
Notarization at the Ikeja High Court, Lagos cost me between 200naira and 250naira per page depending on the negotiations.
Documents to be notarized depends on the school's requirements but in my case i notarized just my BSc Certificate and Transcripts
If the school explicitly states that they only accept transcripts directly from your school then you have no choice but to have your school send it directly. In my experience, most schools will accept notarized copies.
Using Registered Nipost Mail cost me less than 500naira to South korea

P.S: Had to confirm the matriculation fee because of the instability of our currency and discovered that it is about 120-130k now. it is a one time fee and still a lot better than paying $12k. Besides, GIST will refund your one way flight bill upon landing and registration so it kind of covers for the matriculation fee.e
OMG thanks a lot...pls can I send you a private message.. I'd like to known of your progress...
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by Arnoldo(m): 11:51pm On Apr 22, 2015
pompido:

please didn't you have to notarize copies of your birth certificate and do you know if i can do it at any high court.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by pompido: 1:33am On Apr 23, 2015
Arnoldo:

OMG thanks a lot...pls can I send you a private message.. I'd like to known of your progress...

Yes you can by all means
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by pompido: 1:35am On Apr 23, 2015
Arnoldo:

please didn't you have to notarize copies of your birth certificate and do you know if i can do it at any high court.

submission of copies of birth certificate wasn't on the list so i didn't send that. What i did include in all my applications is my CV.

@Acadollar: still waiting on your analysis of life after MSc in Gwangju area and environs ooo. Many thanks

1 Like

Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by judith989(f): 10:14am On Apr 23, 2015
pompido:

submission of copies of birth certificate wasn't on the list so i didn't send that. What i did include in all my applications is my CV.

@Acadollar: still waiting on your analysis of life after MSc in Gwangju area and environs ooo. Many thanks
hello Pompido please I am trying to send you a private message.thanks
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by acadollar(m): 4:42pm On Apr 23, 2015
judith989:

hello Pompido please I am trying to send you a private message.thanks
Pls submit your birth cert

1 Like

Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by pompido: 8:03pm On Apr 23, 2015
acadollar:

Pls submit your birth cert

Maybe I did or didn't. cant remember but I got a confirmation of complete documentation from them so I must have done something right.

2 Likes

Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by pompido: 9:34am On Apr 27, 2015
@Acadollar: what is the latest update on the potentials for proper sustainability after MSc in Gwangju area? This information will go a long way in helping one decide oo.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by jummygo(f): 4:58pm On Apr 27, 2015
@ace dollar. Been following with keen interest. For a young man. Dutch National. 18yrs old. wishes to study animation related courses. Which university would be OK for either an associate degree or degree course? Approx fees? How many hours a week will he be allowed to work? What can he earn? Aside from here, u Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by Nobody: 7:07am On Apr 30, 2015
Acadollar , please what is the nature of factory work in S.Korea.. How hard is it? Is there any qualification one should have before get employed?

Thanks
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by judith989(f): 8:21am On Apr 30, 2015
please, after going through the housing plan of so many schools, I am wondering if students are allowed to remain in the hostels even during summer break...because coming back to Nigeria is totally out of the question...
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by CeceezKollecti: 1:59pm On Apr 30, 2015
[quote author=jummygo post=33167595]@ace dollar. Been following with keen interest. For a young man. Dutch National. 18yrs old. wishes to study animation related courses. Which university would be OK for either an associate degree or degree course? Approx fees? How many hours a week will he be allowed to work? What can he earn? Aside from here,

Go through the thread u will get all d basic info u need den u can follow up. Have been doing that. @ acadollar have been so helpful here a lot Tnx man nd keep keeping it real man. Stay blessed
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by yemzyray01(m): 3:28pm On May 01, 2015
@acadollar most schools I found online for language course in Korean are most for 10 to 15 weeks which is like 3 to 4 months, I want to go thru the language course first b4 I apply for masters and most of the schools made mention of a placement test can u please explain, and since the language program is 3 to 4 months would I be issued a 3 to 4 month student visa and can one apply for extension of visa there in SK.
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by Chrizizon: 11:05pm On May 01, 2015
acadollar:

Is it business or conference Iv? scan the IV, let me see, but next time if u need IV, ask me i can send it to u

@acadollar..plz I need a business IV for sk, how can u help?
Re: Thread for South Korea prospective students by nirJP(m): 1:22am On May 02, 2015
well well well brother I must tell you nice one from you I muct also think all those who did ask a question too brother how much can it talk to do a business visa and how long can it talk and hmm one think I see most guy have not ask here is what are the type of house there have there for Nigeria but I know some nija do go to good house and what are the number of guy that can be in a room because I have see some gust be in a room 10 ,12, 8 guys in one room you can ask anyone in Qatar. budai or any Arabic counry you know hmm when you talk abour factory jog what type do you talk about, and the police how are they when You dont have your papers and gat to meet You where you are work and I know you say they are good Koreans do the Guy get angry when you go out with their girl do they work on week end

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (189) (Reply)

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.