Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,192 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:01 PM

Constructive Criticism - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Constructive Criticism (647 Views)

Exclusive Breastfeeding: Challenges, Criticism, Experiences & Temptations / Dilemma--constructive Criticism Only. / Constructive Counsel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Constructive Criticism by Nobody: 2:01am On Sep 13, 2014
I first started out as a teacher after the one year mandatory service, because I was not ready to sit at home. I have been applying for jobs but most often it always a dead end despite the fact that am 29years and in Nigeria, once you are thirty years of age getting a job becomes harder, tougher and chances of you getting a job becomes slimmer.... sometimes maybe because am not Chartered and many times I have no experience.

I left the teaching job after I got an offer from an Audit or Accounting firm, they pay is two thousand below the teaching job (27k) with no allowance or pension or even productivity bonus.... it look like a company that is still finding it's feet, salary is not paid in full rather a certain percentage(usually about 40 or 60% of the monthly salary) is given at the beginning of the next month for the previous month worked, that is, salary is paid in arrears and we hope they pay up, Moreso, when going for field work your transportation is taken care of and you spend more than that you will be re-imbursed. I took the job because I needed experience in my choosen profession(Finance/Accounting). I have learnt a few things in this firm couple working with the team. One ofthete am member is chartered and exposing me to many things. I plan on continuing my ICAN programme but with this type of pay, I doubt if I would be able to pay for exam fees. Did mention I spend 800nairs a day for transportation when going to office, although we do not go to the office unless need be or we are asked to come, but will be in the office on Fridays.

On one of the days we went out for field work, I got a msg inviting me for a test in a trading company that has diversified into haulage and properties.... I pass the test, oral interview, but the pay is times two of my present place less ten thousand for a start and upon confirmation I will be paid times two plus ten thousand of my present pay in my former work place Saturday inclusive......Pension, health Insurance scheme and KPI bonuses. Now, they want me to be in charge of the Accounts of the haulage and properties business.... for that amount is quite small.... did I mention that I do not have experience and they offer to train me on Peachtree which I have no knowledge about?

Now, the question I ask is
1.which one should I take?
2. The first one is not paying but afford me ample time for other interviewe.
3.The second one pays not so much but can give a little savings for ICAN.

WHATDO I DO
Re: Constructive Criticism by eleojo23: 1:02pm On Sep 13, 2014
The posters below me have made valid points.
Re: Constructive Criticism by nat138: 4:25pm On Sep 13, 2014
I will advise you go for the second job, reason being that they are offering to give you some professional training that will be useful in the future and also enabling you save money for professional development as well, and there is the assured financial benefit as well as other fringe benefits (such as health insurance and a pension, which at this point are very crucial factors to be considered in any job offer).

Let me quickly add though, set your goals and also a time limit ie how long you will want to stay on the job and with the company, it also seems like it is a company that will easily afford you opportunities to progress career wise. So you can tell yourself for eg, I will work with these people for like 3 years, and see how you can progress from there, I will reckon that by then you would have also progressed career wise and in your professional development as well.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Constructive Criticism by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 13, 2014
No matter what you take, make sure you choose the one that will give you much needed experience and time for your ICan exam.

Even if it means you burrowing money just to make up.

With time and experience you will move further in life.

Experience first, money comes later.
Don't let 10 thousand naira make you a slave

1 Like

Re: Constructive Criticism by EfemenaXY: 4:37pm On Sep 13, 2014
^^ Well said, Chilli.

With relevant experience and expertise, you have a solid leg on which to bargain for better pay.
Re: Constructive Criticism by egopersonified(f): 9:19pm On Sep 13, 2014
The second. More experience for your career. More money for your ican. All you have to do is create time for studying.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Staying With Daddy / German Ethics Council Calls For Incest Between Siblings To Be Legalised / Respect And Fear

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.