Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos (31912 Views)

What Is The Situation In Your School On Resumption? / List Of Schools & Their 2012/2013 UTME Cut-off Marks / Federal Government Postponed Resumption Of Primary And Secondary Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by topeorekoy(m): 5:27am On Sep 13, 2014
1. Concerning the resumption of all public and private nursery, primary and secondary schools for the 2014/2015 session, Lagos State Government supports the September 22, 2014 date, which was announced by the Federal Government after a national consultation on efforts to contain the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in Nigeria.

2. Although this resumption date is advisory, as education is a concurrent matter to be regulated by the respective Federal and States Authorities, Lagos State Government considers it eminently justifiable, in view of the fact that there is currently no known carrier of EVD in our State at the moment. Furthermore, the last individual suspected to have been exposed to the virus will be discharged from observation on September 18, 2014, if he tests negative for the virus. All public and private educational institutions in the State are therefore directed to schedule their resumption accordingly.

3. Considering the current situation report, it is clear that the risk of infection with EVD in Lagos State has been significantly reduced. Health professionals working on the outbreak are also in agreement that there is no reason why schools should remain closed beyond the 22nd of September, 2014.

4. In spite of the foregoing, the State Government has now developed and will deploy all resources necessary to sustain the capacity to promptly take into custody any person suspected to be infected with EVD, as well as safely test, monitor and isolate such a person for treatment as may be found necessary without endangering other members of the public.

5. We also acknowledge the need for everyone to remain very vigilant, as the disease still remains in other countries within the sub-region. The following steps will therefore be taken in all schools, whether public or private, before and after resumption of schools:

(a) Training and sensitization of students, vendors, teachers and non academic staff on EVD and how to avoid it;

(b) Identification of EVD Focal Persons in schools who would be responsible for surveillance and health monitoring;

(c) Provision of adequate environmental sanitation, including clean toilets and premises;

(d) Provision of running water and soap and encouragement of frequent hand washing;

(e) Sensitisation of students on other personal hygiene habits, like the use of handkerchiefs when sneezing or coughing; and

(f) Arrangement for prompt referral of any sick person to the nearest health institution for treatment.

7. In spite of the foregoing, the State Government reiterates that the health of all its residents is a matter of utmost importance and, if any reasons emerge for a reconsideration of the school resumption date, a well-considered decision will be taken and the general public will be informed accordingly.

8. The State Government salutes the health personnel and health institutions that have done their best to ensure the containment of EVD. Government officials will meet presently with those health institutions, which might have suffered adverse economic consequences as a result, and will find ways of assisting them to mitigate their loses and safely reopen for business as soon as possible.

Signed:

Lateef Raji

Special Adviser On Information And Strategy

September 12, 2014

http://www.channelstv.com/2014/09/12/full-text-press-statement-on-resumption-of-all-schools-in-lagos-state/
http://topeorekoya..co.uk/2014/09/lagos-state-release-press-statement-on.html

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by seunlayi(m): 5:40am On Sep 13, 2014
very impressive move

5 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by kayboy4y(m): 5:59am On Sep 13, 2014
Lovely. Hope the teachers and school authority will adhere to the stated preventions.
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by nwaobitex: 6:21am On Sep 13, 2014
ok
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by Ismahill(m): 6:47am On Sep 13, 2014
boshe ma je niyen

4 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by CoCoLav(f): 7:03am On Sep 13, 2014
Lagos state government is working.

Fashola for president

Donald duke for vice president.

Mad combo!

18 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by wallex1983(m): 7:07am On Sep 13, 2014
Bi mo ba ni eegun mi ma jo, bi mo ba tun ni ko ni jo mo, ewo ni tie nibe? (If I say ♍Ɣ masquerade will dance, and I later say it won't dance again, what's your own there?"

I actually believe this iڪ †ђξ best time for the schools to resume. Let the govt take serious measures now to ensure that all schools put the right facilities in place for EVD spread prevention
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 13, 2014
Nice point though.
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by egopersonified(f): 7:34am On Sep 13, 2014
The gods have spoken.
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by hushmail: 7:48am On Sep 13, 2014
good move by Lagos govt

but ebola no get part 2

i suggest January for resumption

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by Pasca07: 8:48am On Sep 13, 2014
hushmail: good move by Lagos govt

but ebola no get part 2

if possible next year august

12 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 13, 2014
hushmail: good move by Lagos govt

but ebola no get part 2

or they should not even resume at all

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by Pasca07: 10:02am On Sep 13, 2014
april17:
or they should not even resumed at all
u are right they shd cancelled both primary and secondary schools resumption till they eradicate ebola completely in naija...even if it takes 20 years no problem

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by datguru: 11:46am On Sep 13, 2014
Nice one
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by stevolinkon40: 11:46am On Sep 13, 2014
Am still reading dnt put on fp yet o
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 13, 2014
cry
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by bunmioguns(m): 11:47am On Sep 13, 2014
hmmmm
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by chaloner(m): 11:47am On Sep 13, 2014
Oya bimbo and hakuma (BH) oya oya make una dey prepare for school , I don tire for una ....... Kaiii

2 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by adeoladrg(m): 11:47am On Sep 13, 2014
Oshey!
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by satowind(m): 11:47am On Sep 13, 2014
That God news

If Only U knew how many of ya BF's Frnds are aware he's Cheating on U, U'll Regret hw many times u served dem jollof rice w/o poisoning it

5 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by pabon(m): 11:47am On Sep 13, 2014
My first day to appear on frontpage and I've commented on the frontpage of three threads already.

Shout out to the guy who created that Nairaland notification app!

2 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by ayukdaboss(m): 11:48am On Sep 13, 2014
I just respect the way the LASG has handled this Ebola outbreak. If all the precautions listed will be duly adhered to, then I don't see any reason why schools shouldn't resume by 22nd.

Eko Oni Baje O grin
Hay Pee See!! tongue

2 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by understatement: 11:48am On Sep 13, 2014
ol boy wen last i be on 1st page
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by iceberylin(m): 11:49am On Sep 13, 2014
You must be in Js1 angry
Kids on NL
april17:
or they should not even resumed at all

2 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by ignis: 11:49am On Sep 13, 2014
The government and NMA are confused.

imagine , they are just shifting the date forward and backward.
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by Bryan12(m): 11:49am On Sep 13, 2014
Anytime I won book space like this ma hand go dey shake.why?
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by Nobody: 11:50am On Sep 13, 2014
Nice move. i pray schools should not resume until ebola virus vaccine is available.
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by Bryan12(m): 11:50am On Sep 13, 2014
ignis: t
Even you?

2 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by ochon: 11:50am On Sep 13, 2014
Even you? shockedshockedshocked
ignis: t

Which news are we to believe then? Fashola is saying the resumption of schools are not yet known.
lekanolas: Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola, has said that resumption of schools in the state would be determined after the results of those still under surveillance for Ebola Virus Disease would have been known by next week Thursday.

Speaking after Friday’s Jumaat prayer at the state secretariat mosque in Alausa, Fashola explained that there were still about 19 people under surveillance, adding that the 21 days set aside for the surveillance would end on September 18, 2014.

His words: “Even though the number of Ebola cases has reduced and most of the contacts are out of the 21-day quarantine, we should avoid any complacency. Until the last case is over and surveillance completed, we should not relent in the effort at tackling the disease.”

Fashola added that members of the State Executive Council, SEC, and other stakeholders’ held a crucial meeting on how to contain the virus and the feasibility of September 22, resumption date set by the Federal Government .

He said by the time results of those under surveillance are known, the state would meet with stakeholders in the education and health sectors to determine when the schools would be resuming.

http://www.newsday.com.ng/ebola-resumption-schools-still-uncertain-fashola/

Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by bercarray(m): 11:50am On Sep 13, 2014
gud one,bt stdnts sha dm no one enter
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by DGKN: 11:50am On Sep 13, 2014
Ok.. Non of my bizz..
Re: Press Statement On Resumption Of Schools In Lagos by 9jahubcom(m): 11:51am On Sep 13, 2014
better

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yabatech Ond/hnd Part Time/hnd Full Time Form Is Out: Apply Now / See What Yabatech Looks Like Whenever There Is Rainfall. / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.