Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped (15427 Views)

Differences Between An Entrepreneur And A Hustler / GTBank's Internet Banking Services...totally OVER-HYPED! / Lamido Sanusi's Performance - Brilliant, Over-hyped, Or Mediocre? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Awho(m): 1:14pm On Sep 15, 2014
2sExy1: sorry to say.... you lack common sense. I know your idea of an entrepreneur is in the class of Bill Gates, Dangote et al but you fail to realise that these guys also started from scratch and therefore, it means that anyone who does not start big isn't an entrepreneur.

What is your definition of Entrepreneurship?

Entrepreneurship is the process of starting a business or other organization. The entrepreneur develops a business model, acquires the human and other required resources, and is fully responsible for its success or failure--Wikipedia

I don't waste time on folks like you... so where there are no jobs, people should still fold their hands and wait for manner to fall from heaven or you will feed them?

Rubbish!
thank you and God bless you #myopinion too#
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 15, 2014
angry angry angry

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by GodMode: 1:21pm On Sep 15, 2014
INDESTRUCTABLEX: And to those calling me dumb, you are entitled to your opinion.

I never said being Bill Gates makes you an entrepreneur. But you will agree that these men are risk takers and innovative.

Go to universities, you will lose count of the number of "be your own boss seminars". While these may motivate you to act, the truth is that not everybody will act. The number of those that act and quit afterwards because things don't come easy is relatively high. Does this make you an entrepreneur?

IMO sitting down and doing nothing doesn't make you an entrepreneur, neither does being skeptical and sitting on defence make you one.

And like one of the comments, the definition is subject to personal interpretation.

You are very dull... U're probably a teenager cos your mind set is messed up.

Steve Jobs was someone who only sat down and brought ideas. He never created anything. People brought his ideas to life for him but as long as it was his idea he took all the praises.
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 15, 2014
Quora

Just Another Founder

Seriously, Don't Start a Business.

Dennis Liu41 upvotes by Vivek Pathak, Quora User, Emil Stolarsky, Giorgos Stefanou, Quora User, (more)So you want to start a company? Do you feel like you're smarter than everyone else? Think you got the chops to make millions of dollars? Congratulations, you sound like every other person I've talked to. 

I would not recommend starting a company for 99% of the people I know. The truth is, starting a company is hard, really fucking hard. Anyone who tells you differently either won the startup lottery or is lying to you. Here's some reasons why starting a company sucks:

You're always stressed out
It seems like there's always something wrong. The company is either running out of money, having servers crash, getting sued, or being yelled at by an angry customer. The freedom you acquire is not real, in fact, you now have more responsibilities than ever before. I have to manage employees, appease shareholders, compromise with co-founders, and somehow still make time for my personal life. I'm pretty sure I just cut my lifespan short by 15 years by doing a startup.

You have no friends
With work eating up like 110% of my time, I've pretty much stopped being social. On occasion, I'll try to make plans and realize that everyone on my Facebook is a complete stranger to me. I guess I skipped that lesson in Startup 101 where they talk about how you become a social outcast and a recluse especially after working 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. Yep, didn't get the memo. 

Your GF hates you
Occasionally, I'll try to spend time with my girlfriend, and I will feel guilty while doing so. My iPhone will be glued to my palms as I constantly refresh the mail app. Dinner discussions inevitably lead to the Series A crunch or about how some new startup is completely overvalued and raised a ridiculous round and how I'm 10x better than they are. My GF, as supportive as she is, often wishes she was dating an account executive at Google who works normal hours and makes a solid 6 figure salary. 

You still have bosses
The VC's are my bosses. When they call, I answer. When they say jump, I say how high, and how much will you pay me and at what valuation? I even dress up and do my hair for board meetings, a task that's usually reserved for wining and dining the sexy ladies. When people talk about freedom, and the ability to do whatever you want, they often forget to mention the VCs and shareholders who happen to write your checks and who happen to have a slightly uncomfortable grip on your balls.

You will most likely fail
Most businesses fail, that's a fact. Being good isn't good enough, being the best makes you about average. Success not only comes from intelligence, hard work, and connections, but a fair amount of luck as well. Sometimes, I imagine that I'm driving a bus full of people down an uncharted road with a steep cliff at the end. We might not make it out alive, but I still have to put a smile on my face everyday and tell everyone how great things are. smiley

So really, don't do it!
I'm not lying, this shit isn't easy, as Elon Musk so eloquently phrased it, it's like "eating glass and staring into the abyss". What makes an entrepreneur great however, is being able to look at all the negativity, and all the stacked odds, and still feel absolutely confident that they can change the world. So listen to all the advice people give, both the positive, and especially the negative, and if you still feel like doing a startup is irresistible, than by all means don't let me stop you.

http://justanotherfounder.quora.com/Seriously-Dont-Start-a-Business

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by GodMode: 1:25pm On Sep 15, 2014
Jarus: I shared same sentiments in an article I wrote last year, titled: Excuse me, Mr Self Employment Advocate. http://www.jarushub.com/excuse-me-mr-self-employment-advocate/

Some people make it seem as if being in salaried job is a crime. I don't believe that trash. We are called names such as "slaves", only that some of these "entrepreneurs" will come back to beg you doing "slavery jobs" for money at the end of the month.

I don't have any problem with self-employment, entrepreneurship or whatever it is called, but the advocates overdo it. Not everyone is cut out for self-employment. There will always be people doing salaried jobs.

you are wrong... because of your naija mentality cos in naija when the term entrepreneur is brought up only "one person" comes to mind.

You should know that most companies are started by a group of people with "one person" as the public and media figure.

Get your facts right...
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by GodMode: 1:26pm On Sep 15, 2014
Ontarget: Why you guys bothering yourselves entrepreneur ko entrepreneur ni? Just find a way and put food on table and survive. Simple.

Your definition of "Surviving" is for broke people...
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by honeric01(m): 1:28pm On Sep 15, 2014
Who's an entrepreneur?

In a layman's language:

honeric01 got an idea of how to solve the problem of mosquitos in okomaiko, on his own, he builds a mosquito repellant product (sample), he tries it on some mosquitos, gbammmm gbammmm, they fall and dies within 14 seconds with just the perfume oozing out from the product, he jumps up woooooh. he shouts! yes I just solved a problem, then it dawns on him that:

he doesn't have the money, enough manpower, location and publicity to move to the next level.

Then, he goes out to find how to solicit for cash from people by showing them how his product works, he gets some financial help in form of dash, loan and investment (capital), with that he goes further to get a location for the biz (land), he needs a team to get the ideal rolling (labor/Hr). once he gets them up and running, he starts producing, then he goes ahead to make his product public (publicity).

If whatever you are doing now does not include any of these steps, then you are not an entrepreneurer.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by persius555(m): 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2014
Op, if u are not doing well as an entrepeneur or business man as u call it, dont discourage others. Get a job and stop complaining.
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Olutola88(m): 1:44pm On Sep 15, 2014
OP didn't do justice to this topic. I was about to start typing an article on this particular topic before I saw this on front page. I got the inspiration to write on the topic after my “Why you must graduate with a 2.1” article; www.nairaland.com/1896298/why-must-finish-least-2.1 Too bad! I'll probably look for another means to publish my piece. *sobbing*
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Bigcake: 1:54pm On Sep 15, 2014
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Not everybody is meant to be an entrepreneur. And a lot of people that call themselves entrepreneurs are sellers and hustlers. The title is so being misused, that's my point.

So how does the nonsense you ve typed affects the wellbeing of Nigerians?
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 1:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
GodMode:

You have a dull mindset... Been an entrepreneur gives u control of your time and life.

read meaning into what i wrote before u start embarrassing urself
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by semochendo1(m): 2:02pm On Sep 15, 2014
INDESTRUCTABLEX:
Not everybody is meant to be an entrepreneur. And a lot of people that call themselves entrepreneurs are sellers and hustlers. The title is so being misused, that's my point.

So, they should describe themselves like a layman right? If they can't package what they do out of frustration as graduates, then you tell me what differentiates them from the uneducated ones in the market/business. Until you understand the essence of packaging in business, you will never appreciate these people's approach to their businesses.

Like you rightly said, they may not have a good website, they may not have a business logo, but in their heart is that stubborn passion for making it in life, which is a basic requisite for success/greatness.

When I started my company about 2yrs ago, I was mocked and discouraged by people in your class of thought. But today, some of them are here stylishly lobbying to work in a company they've once mocked, when they see how well I treat my staff and how smooth we are moving forward.

Conclusively, be reminded everything big starts small, and if you refuse to build your dream, another person will hire you to build their's.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by onome710(m): 2:02pm On Sep 15, 2014
i think the OP is misinformed.
its a fact that the richest people on planet earth right now are Entrepreneurs.
And everyone someday dreams to get to that point.
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by rozayx5(m): 2:10pm On Sep 15, 2014
2sExy1: sorry to say.... you lack common sense. I know your idea of an entrepreneur is in the class of Bill Gates, Dangote et al but you fail to realise that these guys also started from scratch and therefore, it means that anyone who does not start big isn't an entrepreneur.

What is your definition of Entrepreneurship?

Entrepreneurship is the process of starting a business or other organization. The entrepreneur develops a business model, acquires the human and other required resources, and is fully responsible for its success or failure--Wikipedia

I don't waste time on folks like you... so where there are no jobs, people should still fold their hands and wait for manner to fall from heaven or you will feed them?

Rubbish!

cool cool cool
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by MyIncorp: 2:14pm On Sep 15, 2014
Olutola88: OP didn't do justice to this topic. I was about to start typing an article on this particular topic before I saw this on front page. I got the inspiration to write on the topic after my “Why you must graduate with a 2.1” article; www.nairaland.com/1896298/why-must-finish-least-2.1 Too bad! I'll probably look for another means to publish my piece. *sobbing*

Don't be discouraged! Please, go ahead and create a new thread! I'll like to read it!

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 15, 2014
lol

There is nothing wrong even if 150million Nigerians call themselves entrepreneurs.

What is Entrepreneurship?
It is a state, quality, or condition of being an entrepreneur, an organizer or promoter of business ventures.

There is nothing wrong in running a business without logo/website. What do you call those who do not depend on the internet for profit?

What's the big deal about webiste/logo? Why should you complain about people posting adverts on nairaland; when the same is applicable to all online fora and social media. How much is website, biko? and Logo? These days one can easily get cheap and perfect designs, and even in some cases, free. lol

What would you say about OLX? What do you call those advertising their businesses on the site? Are you aware we have special threads on Nairaland for advertisement?

Are you aware Nigerians make millions via the "st.upi.d adverts" you see on Nairaland?

Do not be intimidated sir. A Businessman isn't different from an entrepreneur. Read this on wiki

A businessperson (plural businesspeople) is someone involved in business, where in particular undertaking of activities, commercial or industrial, for the purpose of generating revenue from a combination of human, financial, and physical capital that further fuels economic development and growth. An entrepreneur is an example of a
business person

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Businessperson

You don't have to go to a univeristy to become an entrepreneur. smiley So the word can never be & will never be over-hyped smiley

All I see on this thread is INTIMIDATION. Entrepreneurship is the reason we have terms like SMEs. Have you ever seen a country without SMEs? Can your banks survive without SMEs?

Entrepreneurship is for all those who can grab an idea. Even if all you can offer is "agbo" and groundnut. You do not need an office space or a laptop to become an entrepreneur.

What I expect you to say, is advise people on the need to package their businesses to make it more attractive, and yield more returns.

More so, entrepreneurship is a broad term. An entrepreneur must be known for something. A self-employed fashion designer is an entrepreneur.

He is a fashion designer by training, and by self development; in the same vein, an entrepreneur by virtue of the fact that he or she makes money/fame/joy from his/her idea. smiley

Stop feeling intimidated. I understand how it feels to be called 'civil servant', 'employee' etc. So long people choose to do what they want, desire or forced to do, then let them be.

We have many employees who make much more than CEOs/owners of some large corporations; but that won't change the title since the terms existed long before we were born.

Live and Lets Live smiley
You cannot over-rate Entrepreneurship and the term Entrepreneur since most don't even know what it takes to become one. You can become one with as little as N1000.
cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Bizibi(m): 2:30pm On Sep 15, 2014
my dream is to more entrepreneurs in Nigeria....every single person want to be an employee,just hope we reach there
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by DAVE5(m): 2:32pm On Sep 15, 2014
francleanflexy: some Nigerians are so dumb right ?
There are millions n millions of jobs opportunities in nigeria which are just waiting to be filled n yet someppl want to stress themselves by being Entrepreneurs.
#sarcasm

d nigerian situation is such that you sit and wonder; are we moving forward at all or are tinz jst gettin worse...
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by larryshow4(m): 2:33pm On Sep 15, 2014
semochendo1:
So, they should describe themselves like a layman right? If they can't package what they do out of frustration as graduates, then you tell me what differentiates them from the uneducated ones in the market/business. Until you understand the essence of packaging in business, you will never appreciate these people's approach to their businesses.
Like you rightly said, they may not have a good website, they may not have a business logo, but in their heart is that stubborn passion for making it in life, which is a basic requisite for success/greatness.
When I started my company about 2yrs ago, I was mocked and discouraged by people in your class of thought. But today, some of them are here stylishly lobbying to work in a company they've once mocked, when they see how well I treat my staff and how smooth we are moving forward.
Conclusively, be reminded everything big starts small, and if you refuse to build your dream, another person will hire you to build their's.

#WORD

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by continentalceo(m): 2:34pm On Sep 15, 2014
Bros! Entreprenuership is the Solution to Unemployment in Nigeria. If we had enough entrepreneurs in Nigeria like advanced countries in the Manufacturing, Agricultural, Education, transportation, etc, sectors we won't be a dumping ground for the west. Instead we will produce what we use and by so doing create a lot of Job oppotuinities for ourselves and even for foreigner.... So brother join the message to promote Entreprenuership, for that is the only way unemployment can be successfully tackled...

"Do not think of what you country can do for you, instead think of what you can do for your country" John F kennedy
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 15, 2014
Apparently, the OP and his likes understands little or nothing pertaining the term "entrepreneur".

Entrepreneur is simply another name for a "Business-Owner".

If you are a mango seller, tea-seller, carpenter, shop-owner, farmer, shoe-maker, cobbler, plumber, shoe-shiner, akara seller, hair dresser, cement dealer, you are an entrepreneur.

You remain an entrepreneur for as long as you offer a service or product in return for money plus own the business you do, no matter how small or big.

Of course not everyone is destined to be an entrepreneur, same way as not everyone is destined to be the president of Nigeria. Besides, if everyone becomes an entrepreneur, who will work for who.

#Last Bullet: in life, its either you become an entrepreneur or you work for an entrepreneur, or you are a dependant on an entrepreneur or someone that works for an entrepreneur.

That's as simple as it is.

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by BizBloke(m): 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2014
quest003:
wére lè lèyi o! You, u no vibrant? You are an animal somebody . SEXTREPRENEUR, èran ko.

Lmao cry cry
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by BizBloke(m): 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2014
MadCow1: Not overhyped... But rather under explained. .

Not everyone has what it takes to be one, and I am not talking about money.
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by DAVE5(m): 2:51pm On Sep 15, 2014
Olutola88: OP didn't do justice to this topic. I was about to start typing an article on this particular topic before I saw this on front page. I got the inspiration to write on the topic after my “Why you must graduate with a 2.1” article; www.nairaland.com/1896298/why-must-finish-least-2.1 Too bad! I'll probably look for another means to publish my piece. *sobbing*

sorry to say, but your type is dangerous cos you keep on discouraging people with your creepy threads, like indirectly telling people that not making 2:1 up is not god enuff and you were going to create a thread abt why entrepreneurship is overhyped, get a life and do somthing positive for once pls....

The country is not not helping, so please instead of putting fear in people, try to alleviate their problems even if it means putting a smile on someone's face....
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 2:55pm On Sep 15, 2014
agonbello: Apparently, the OP and his likes understands little or nothing pertaining the term "entrepreneur".

Entrepreneur is simply another name for a "Business-Owner".

If you are a mango seller, tea-seller, carpenter, shop-owner, farmer, shoe-maker, cobbler, plumber, shoe-shiner, akara seller, hair dresser, cement dealer, you are an entrepreneur.

You remain an entrepreneur for as long as you offer a service or product in return for money plus own the business you do, no matter how small or big.

Of course not everyone is destined to be an entrepreneur, same way as not everyone is destined to be the president of Nigeria. Besides, if everyone becomes an entrepreneur, who will work for who.

#Last Bullet: in life, its either you become an entrepreneur or you work for an entrepreneur, or you are a dependant on an entrepreneur or someone that works for an entrepreneur.

That's as simple as it is.
Basic fact

All I see is people feeling intimidated. You can't separate Entrepreneurship and Business. Entrepreneurship means Entreprise cheesy

How do we define Entreprise? It means

Micro Businesses
Small "
Medium "
Large "

Now OP is mad at the Micro and Small owners who cannot afford the luxury of Medium and Large who are known for developing and hiring employees.
smiley

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 15, 2014
DAVE5:

sorry to say, but your type is dangerous cos you keep on discouraging people with your creepy threads, like indirectly telling people that not making 2:1 up is not god enuff and you were going to create a thread abt why entrepreneurship is overhyped, get a life and do somthing positive for once pls....

The country is not not helping, so please instead of putting fear in people, try to alleviate their problems even if it means putting a smile on someone's face....

True Talk
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 15, 2014
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 15, 2014
PStylish: @OP

You are mixing things up!

Being an entrepreneur is different from being a businessman.

An entrepreneur is an innovator. He sells something quite strange and different from the usual. He may take time to amass clientele but they'll surely stick and be loyal eventually.

Seun is an entrepreneur while the owners of , naijapals, naira bla bla and naija bla bla bla are business people.
shocked

Sir; nor talk dis kain thing oustide ooo

Educate yourself:
"An entrepreneur is an example of a business person"

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Businessperson
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 15, 2014
PStylish: @OP

You are mixing things up!

Being an entrepreneur is different from being a businessman.

An entrepreneur is an innovator. He sells something quite strange and different from the usual. He may take time to amass clientele but they'll surely stick and be loyal eventually.

Seun is an entrepreneur while the owners of , naijapals, naira bla bla and naija bla bla bla are business people.

Please back-up ur claim by differentiating between the definition of a business-man and an entrepreneur . A dictionary definition for the two terms will suffice.
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by alphawg(m): 3:24pm On Sep 15, 2014
I had a good laugh when someone here said the op sounds like a hater.

An entrepreneur generally converts a source, an idea, into a resource.
Why should it hurt that the word is being "over hyped"?
It's high time we started proferring solutions to everyday problems bedeviling this country, as everyone cannot be an employee.
Still respect the op's opinion. Nice thread.
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by Kooldude01: 3:25pm On Sep 15, 2014
GodMode:

You have a dull mindset... Been an entrepreneur gives u control of your time and life.
Bro don't u get it? it's sarcasm
Re: Why I Think Being An Entrepreneur Is Over-hyped by vickiechi: 4:04pm On Sep 15, 2014
Op please, we all love comfort but can't afford it. If a scavenger goes about his business daily, fends for himself and dependants, pay his bills and decides to call himself an entrepreneur because it makes him feel good, pls let him be.

We are hoping people can encourage others to be useful to themselves decently, at least those people you think shouldn't call themselves entrepreneurs are not causing trouble.

They are not killing, maiming and robbing others hopefully. They are investing their time positively so in my opinion if being called Senator makes them feel good so be it.

A hausa water vendor in my area is popularly known as ambassador and he does his job happily. D guy dat fixes my generator introduced himself as engineer when we first met and Dats what I call him. (you should see his face whenever I say "MY ENGINEER" after a job weldone)_

Btw, I am an entrepreneurial enthusiast, let's meet at oentre.com. God bless your hussle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Old Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender Indefinitely – CBN / 7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business / 276,852 Pos Transactions Failed On Christmas Eve —NIBSS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.