Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,564 members, 7,816,380 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:26 AM

Who Pays For The Wedding? - Events (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / Who Pays For The Wedding? (11383 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 11:23pm On Nov 02, 2008
The ex-boyfriend and the ex-girlfriend!!
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by presido1: 11:26pm On Nov 02, 2008
tope2000:

it is but don't say it everytime there is an argument
Aww Chakal she pleads grin grin grin
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by tope2000(f): 11:27pm On Nov 02, 2008
MrCrackles:

The ex-boyfriend and the ex-girlfriend!!
presido1:

Aww Chakal she pleads grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by presido1: 11:29pm On Nov 02, 2008
why grin grin grin grin am on urside now.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by tope2000(f): 11:31pm On Nov 02, 2008
presido1:

why grin grin grin grin am on urside now.

U lie, u are not my side oo
u support sauron angry
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by agaba123(m): 11:35pm On Nov 02, 2008
Again me
and me alone
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 11:52pm On Nov 02, 2008
agaba123:

Again me
and me alone

u just dey seek attention by force agaba!! grin
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by Nobody: 12:25am On Nov 03, 2008
It depends on who wants to foot the bills, not gender specific.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by fyneboi(m): 3:13am On Nov 03, 2008
I thought its the bride's family that fund the weeding with the support of the groom.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by TOYOSI20(f): 3:17am On Nov 03, 2008
@ Topic

Which ever party that happens to be financially boyant at the time. . . . . . . . .  .

and if it happens that both are then both might as well pay for the wedding wink
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by bigboyslim(m): 6:25am On Nov 03, 2008
Engagement ceremony -
Venue - bride's house - should be arranged by the bride.
Food - bride's family - groom's family can optionally bring additional food and drink to support.

Wedding reception -
Venue - to be decided by both bride and groom and mutual agreement reached on how to split the bill or how a single party will foot the bill depending on fiancial standing
Food - groom's family - supported by bride's family (typically both parties provide food to ensure that their guests do not go home hungry)

Anything after wedding reception.
Groom's family.

This is my understanding of the yoruba tradition.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by naijababe2(f): 7:53am On Nov 03, 2008
i will agree on that.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by naijababe2(f): 7:56am On Nov 03, 2008
i will agree on that.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by presido1: 8:48am On Nov 03, 2008
Is it not awkward for your family to get involved financially in your wedding.
It should be you and you alone as par the finance, ur bride can contribute out of her own magnanimity.
Believe it or not when your family get involved your bride won't like how the organisation will go cuz
orders will be coming from all angle after all its family/community effort.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by spikedcylinder: 9:16am On Nov 03, 2008
As I said before, it is usually the richer side. . . . if you want to be realistic and see what actually happens in real life. Not all this mouth you people are making here. undecided
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by Nobody: 9:22am On Nov 03, 2008
Its not just about the richer side. What if both families were rich The question is, whose responsibility is it?? I think its the groom's family. Engagment/Traditional marriage's the bride, but I think the wedding's the groom's responsibility.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by spikedcylinder: 9:54am On Nov 03, 2008
From what I have seen and experienced, the richer side usually foots the bill. If both families are rich then both families usually try to out do each other.

Personally, I think the responsibility should fall on both the bride and the groom. Not their families.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by Nobody: 11:20am On Nov 03, 2008
Well I dont know about that, but I think culture comes into play in all these things. In the Yoruba Culture, I think its the Bride's family but for the Ibos, I know its the groom's family. Infact I've seen cases where weddings has been below standard of the bride's family because the groom's family refused to be asissted. Its their responsibility and most men prefer to leave it that way.

Dosent mean the bride/or her family cant help if their help is required, but basically, a white wedding is the groom's responsibility in Ibo land.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by presido1: 11:41am On Nov 03, 2008
Nothing like the grooms family, its the responsibility of the groom. If you can't take care of your wedding then you are not worthy to have one.
Once your family takes responsibility of it have it at the back of your mind that they will somehow want to interfare in many things you will have to do with your wify. The Groom and the bride chose their standard and not the standard of both family. Its our wedding and our parents can't tell us who to invite and who not to.

Why can't we be independent for once?
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by Exstar(f): 3:52pm On Nov 03, 2008
It's the GROOM of course!!! What the heck has he been
saving for if he can't foot his wedding bills!
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Nov 03, 2008
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by MsLurker(f): 6:36pm On Nov 03, 2008
Both should contribute.

I plan to not have a big wedding/party so hopefully the bill splitting shouldn't be a problem. smiley
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by ibroman(m): 7:51pm On Nov 03, 2008
Na me jo cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by lucabrasi(m): 8:06pm On Nov 03, 2008
Exstar:

It's the GROOM of course!!! What the heck has he been
saving for if he can't foot his wedding bills!
so in effect the groom is "purchasing the bride" if the wedding,bride price everything is his responsibility, be careful what you wish for so u wont come back saying a man disrecpected you or physically abused you,

@presido1

judging by your comments,im sure you think the man /husband is the alpha and omega and must be taken care of by the wife, so for the man to be worthy of a wife,he must be solely responsible for the wedding even if the bride earns more e.t.c
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by fyneboi(m): 8:24pm On Nov 03, 2008
I think both should be responsible for the wedding. Both the White and Traditional wedding could run from $15,000 - $40,000.

I think the bride and her family should  definitely give a helping hand.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by presido1: 11:30am On Nov 08, 2008
lucabrasi:

@presido1
judging by your comments,I'm sure you think the man /husband is the alpha and omega and must be taken care of by the wife, so for the man to be worthy of a wife,he must be solely responsible for the wedding even if the bride earns more e.t.c
Did not understand your post.

fyneboi:

I think both should be responsible for the wedding. Both the White and Traditional wedding could run from $15,000 - $40,000.
I think the bride and her family should definitely give a helping hand.
Giving a helping hand does not mean they are responsible for it. Its a help.

As a man you are responsible for it. If you think the family is responsible, what in a situation where your family did not approve your bride. Will they still be responsible for your wedding? You family can only help in that case they are not responsible for it.
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by nicolac1(f): 11:42am On Nov 08, 2008
I´m getting married in 6 days in Nigeria. I am Irish & in our tradition it should be my father that pays for the wedding day but i would not feel right asking either him or my mum to splash out their hard earned cash on a party. His parent could not afford it either so i definitely wouldnt ask them. I am initally paying for our day (as i earn a lot more than my boyfriend) as he is SUPPOSED to be paying me back, however we are keeping it to family & close friends so the cost will be much less than if we got married in my home country.

Even if he wanted to pay for it all (yeah right!) i would feel bad & offer to apy for at least some of it - maybe im a fool but thats just my way!
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by MrCrackles(m): 11:45am On Nov 08, 2008
nicola c:

I´m getting married in 6 days in Nigeria. I am Irish & in our tradition it should be my father that pays for the wedding day but i would not feel right asking either him or my mum to splash out their hard earned cash on a party. His parent could not afford it either so i definitely wouldnt ask them. I am initally paying for our day (as i earn a lot more than my boyfriend) as he is SUPPOSED to be paying me back, however we are keeping it to family & close friends so the cost will be much less than if we got married in my home country.

Even if he wanted to pay for it all (yeah right!) i would feel bad & offer to apy for at least some of it - maybe I'm a fool but thats just my way!

no you are not a fool

itz a nice thing to do wink
Re: Who Pays For The Wedding? by Nobody: 12:35am On Sep 28, 2018
Depends on your culture. In India, the ladies family pays, but in Nigeria here the mans' family does pay for most of the wedding expenses, cooking and some other stuffs - probably excluding wedding dresses though.

But what self? Anyone should pay jare grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ladies, you may check out this related post on the latest ankara styles for your coming wedding.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures From Nse Nkpe Etims Birthday At Club Deuces / Clearance Prices- Quality Wines At Discounted Prices, For Celebrations/Gifting! / Infinix Joins Davido, Zino, Ayra Star, Badboy timz, Skibii To Host Fans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.