Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,168 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 (1920 Views)

Catholics, How Do You Reconcile Exodus 20:4 And Your Statues?? / Why Do Catholics Pray With The Rosary, And Bow To Mary's Statue? / Does Family Planning Contravene God's Injunction That We Should Multiply : ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 by dragunov: 1:37pm On Sep 18, 2014
Ukutsgp: Sadly, our Catholic friends and family
members have been indoctrinated to believe that
the use of statues, relics, and other articles is
acceptable and even necessary for worship. They
have been taught by the Roman Catholic Church
that the images and icons used in the church are
not actually “worshiped” but are simply “visual
aids” to worship.
The Catholic Church long ago began making
allowances for the idolatrous use of images by
the way they reference the Ten Commandments .
In the Catholic catechism and in most official
Catholic documents, the first and second
commandments are combined and then
summarized with “I am the Lord your God. You
shall not have other gods beside Me.”
Suspiciously absent is what comprises the second
commandment in the Protestant numbering of the
Ten Commandments: “You shall not make any
graven images.”
While it is understandable for “you shall not make
any graven images” to be considered an aspect of
“you shall not have other gods beside me,” based
on the history of idolatry involving graven images
throughout biblical and extra-biblical history, it
seems unwise to not include “you shall not make
any graven images” in every listing of the Ten
Commandments. The omission seems especially
suspicious in light of the fact that the Roman
Catholic Church has long been accused of the
idolatrous use of graven images.
There are good reasons for not using images in
worship. First of all, the use of physical images to
“aid” worship violates the command to worship
God “in spirit and in truth” ( John 4:23-24 ). Also,
no one knows what God looks like, and John 1:18
is clear concerning this truth: “No one has seen
God at any time; the only begotten God who is in
the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him.”
And, because God is Spirit ( John 4:24a ), it is
irreverent to delineate Him as an iconic
representation. No one alive knows what Jesus
Christ looked like in the flesh, and, since there
were no cameras when He walked the earth, the
only description of His appearance is found in
Isaiah 53:2-3 , which says that He had “no stately
form or majesty.”
The lack of a physical description of Christ has
not stopped the Catholic Church from depicting
Him. Throughout Catholic churches, institutions,
convents, monasteries, and every other Catholic-
affiliated building and shrine, there are paintings
of God the Father, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Mary,
Joseph, and a myriad of canonized saints. There
are statues in abundance; there are relics, such
as bone fragments, said to have belonged to
certain saints. Some shrines even contain pieces
of wood purported to be part of Jesus’ cross. All
of these things are held to be sacred objects
worthy of high regard. The idolatry is rampant
and fairly obvious to non-Catholics, yet Catholics
do not believe they are committing idolatry. They
have been cleverly taught to believe that they do
not worship these idols; they simply “venerate”
them. The problem is that “veneration” still gives
honor and reverence to something and/or
someone other than God; therefore, veneration is
idolatry.
Yes, Catholics do practice a form of idolatry, in
violation of God’s command. The best way to
reach our Catholic friends with the gospel of
grace is to pray that the Holy Spirit will draw
them and that they will respond to the Spirit’s
leading. Their eyes and hearts are blinded by the
false teaching they are continually hearing, and,
until they begin to seek the truth, we must leave
it in God’s capable hands. As we pray, we must
keep loving them and trust that God will prepare
the soil of their hearts ( Luke 8:11-15 ). Never give
up hope; the Holy Spirit does miracles every day.
another false teachings from these folks is the assumption that peter was the first pope. There was nothing like pope in jerusalem after the gospel started to spread. The favourite scripture these dudes use to confirm the popeship of peter is that in which jesus said: 'niether flesh or blood has revealed this......you are simon peter which means rock....... And upon this rock I will build my church....... Jesus was not refering to peter as the foundation of his church, but he was referring to the revelation that peter saw and uttered in reponse to jesus' question:who do you say I am. It is upon the revelation of christ that the church is built, not on any man or institution. Jesus was not endorsing the institutionalization of peter. He was basically referring to himself, the eternal rock. Rcc is false.
Re: Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 by Ukutsgp(m): 2:08pm On Sep 18, 2014
dragunov: another false teachings from these folks is the assumption that peter was the first pope. There was nothing like pope in jerusalem after the gospel started to spread. The favourite scripture these dudes use to confirm the popeship of peter is that in which jesus said: 'niether flesh or blood has revealed this......you are simon peter which means rock....... And upon this rock I will build my church....... Jesus was not refering to peter as the foundation of his church, but he was referring to the revelation that peter saw and uttered in reponse to jesus' question:who do you say I am. It is upon the revelation of christ that the church is built, not on any man or institution. Jesus was not endorsing the institutionalization of peter. He was basically referring to himself, the eternal rock. Rcc is false.
100% correct. those guys are so hardhearted and stubborn.
Re: Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 by felixzo1(m): 2:45pm On Sep 18, 2014
Ukutsgp: 100% correct. those guys are so hardhearted and stubborn.
cry as much as you want, you will not change anything. the catholic church will remain and continue to grow, the pope the successor of saint peter will continue to guide the church for ages to come. we have survived 2000 years of trials , and stood solid on a rock christ instituted and will continue for centuries to come. funny enough the population of catholic world wide is more than the all the pentecostal and protestant denomination put together, the pentecostal movement is less than a 100 years and the protestant movement less than 400 years, the catholic church has existed as a body for more than 1500 years, well well documented events, miracles, and healing, in all countries of the world

1 Like

Re: Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 by Ubenedictus(m): 5:18pm On Sep 18, 2014
dragunov: another false teachings from these folks is the assumption that peter was the first pope. There was nothing like pope in jerusalem after the gospel started to spread. The favourite scripture these dudes use to confirm the popeship of peter is that in which jesus said: 'niether flesh or blood has revealed this......you are simon peter which means rock....... And upon this rock I will build my church....... Jesus was not refering to peter as the foundation of his church, but he was referring to the revelation that peter saw and uttered in reponse to jesus' question:who do you say I am. It is upon the revelation of christ that the church is built, not on any man or institution. Jesus was not endorsing the institutionalization of peter. He was basically referring to himself, the eternal rock. Rcc is false.

the bible says,

"simon bar jona flesh and blood didnt reveal this to you but my father in heaven.... You are peter and on this rock i will build my church.... I give you the keys of the kingdom..."

so since you have lied and said that the church wasn't built on peter, let me ask you, who did Jesus give the keys of the Kingdom

Tell me!

1 Like

Re: Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 by Rich4god(m): 7:44pm On Sep 18, 2014
Ubenedictus:
so since you have lied and said that the church wasn't built on peter, let me ask you, who did Jesus give the keys of the Kingdom

Tell me!
Expect them to start spewing rubbish over this...
Re: Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 by clem305D(m): 8:46am On Sep 19, 2014
don't blaspheme please...say what you know and stop giving interpretations you cannot defend. Is that what you were told by your pastor to keep you in his church. Mind you, see the cases of Chris and TBJ...FAKE pastors being visited by God
Re: Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 by clem305D(m): 8:48am On Sep 19, 2014
nice one bro...
felixzo1: cry as much as you want, you will not change anything. the catholic church will remain and continue to grow, the pope the successor of saint peter will continue to guide the church for ages to come. we have survived 2000 years of trials , and stood solid on a rock christ instituted and will continue for centuries to come. funny enough the population of catholic world wide is more than the all the pentecostal and protestant denomination put together, the pentecostal movement is less than a 100 years and the protestant movement less than 400 years, the catholic church has existed as a body for more than 1500 years, well well documented events, miracles, and healing, in all countries of the world
Re: Do Catholics Contravene The 2nd Commandment Of Idolatry In Exodus 20:4 by clem305D(m): 8:52am On Sep 19, 2014
As regards the authenticity of the RCC, there is no doubt that it reamins the agbanwe-agbanwe...unchanging church founded by Jesus Christ Himself. All other churches sprouted from the RCC...well some were called but most of them came about as a result of greed and internal rancor
Rich4god: Expect them to start spewing rubbish over this...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out This Mosque!! / 7 Principles Of Godly Dressing / Spiritual Men, Seekers And Others, I Need Your Opinion On This.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.