Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,752 members, 7,809,884 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

The JOB - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The JOB (4822 Views)

My Experience In The Job Hunting World! / The Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 6:58pm On Sep 21, 2014
LogoDWhiz: Nice
cool
Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 7:00pm On Sep 21, 2014
CHAPTER 5

"Sweetheart, I'll be going to see Vivian today. We have some things to talk about." Susan said and kissed him on the forehead the following morning. "Good morning my love."

"Good morning to you too." He responded yawning. "Vivian? Andrew's wife?"

Susan nodded.

"You're dressed already." He observed.

Susan nodded again. "You were tired."

"Susan! You're trying to get me fired when I haven't even started. What's the time abeg?" David said throwing away the covers, scrambling out of bed.

"10am." Susan responded.

"Haa!" David exclaimed grabbing his towel which was hung on the door and racing into the bathroom.

Susan chuckled mischievously.

"There's no water running here baby. Why?" He said from the bathroom.

"I don't know. I think I finished the water." I'll be going now. When you're done with your drama, check your text message inbox." She said and closed the door behind her.

David walked out with his towel wrapped around his waist and picked his phone. He had two missed and a received call from Andrew. Susan had already read a text message stating that the whole of COLE Consolidated would mourn Frank Otor for a whole week starting from that day. He shook his head. "I'll get Susan for this." He placed a call to Andrew.

She alighted from the cab and the door of the Limousine was opened for her by a rather handsome driver. He saluted as she stepped in. Vivian looked even more beautiful than the day before and she was dressed in an exquisitely designed long gown with slit running the length of her right leg up to her thigh. She had her legs crossed holding a half-filled cup of wine. A bottle of CIROC stood opened in the mini bar which has been installed in the car. Susan wore just a mini-gown and a pair of loafers with her hair cropped into a bun on top her head. Vivian gave her a smile as she entered the car and the door shut immediately. She felt the car start to move.

"How's David doing? Vivian asked.

"He's fine. Sorry about Frank's death." Susan said.

"His family needs the condolence more not the compnay. Too bad what's done has been done."

"He was a fine artiste." Susan said.

"By fine, you mean by talent of looks?" Vivian asked with a smile.

"Both."

"I agree." Vivian said. "So has David said anything about your job? Are you still going to continue with it?"

"He doesn't want me to continue actually. He says he's going to be making more than enough money so there's no need."

"Most of the wives of the company employees don't work." Vivan said.

"Is it like a policy or something?"

"No. What is the need really? Their husbands make more than they should and they're all millionaires."

"I see. But I really don't want to sit at home all day doing nothing." Susan said.

Vivian chuckled. "I bet you'll see no reason to continue with your job after a year."

Susan smiled.

"When is your wedding?" Vivian asked.

"David wants it at the end of this week when we would have moved into the house but I haven't gotten word from my father. He hasn't learned of David's new job. He doesn't like David much."

"Why?" Vivian asked. "He's a fine young man."

"He always wanted me to marry a rich man and all of that."

"David is now a rich man now." Susan responded smiling.

"Yeah right. Maybe he's gonna like him now." Susan said.

"He definitely will. Have you given a thought to having kids after your wedding?" Vivian asked her.

"Not really. But we sure will put a resonable time to planning before having kids. What's the rush about? We're both 24. Only David's mum is always dreaming about a house full of kods running around a huge country home." Susan responded laughing. "Very funny woman."

"She's right. Have the kids pretty quickly and enjoy your money."

"We'll give it a thought." Susan responded and the continied the ride in silence.

He had never seen a coffin so expensive-looking in his life. It looked too beautiful to be buried in the ground till eternity. But then it was Frank Otor's burial. It had to be the best of the best. The undertakers were out of this world. They were accompanied by young 'sexy' female models who threw roses on the ground as the procession moved from inside the church to the church's burial ground not too far from the church. The biggest people attended the burial. Every musician and actor came including all members of staff of COLE Consolidated. The best cars were used and even the presiding priest, one of the most respected. Fans were not left out either and everybody looked sad. So many people had cried their eyes out including Susan. That would be the second burial service he would attend after his father's own. At his father's burial, it was only him, his mother, a distant cousin of his who was living with them and some priests. The thought made him cry that he vowed never to attend any burial for as long as he lived except his mother's if he lived long enough to bury her. He had kept his vow for 17 years and Frank Otor's burial was different. It was more like a duty. An official one. Frank was part of the family he just joined so it's an obligation for him. No questions about that.

Angela was in the midst of her celebrity colleagues and obviously had cried her eyes out. No one looked differently. Tears flowed freely while although some people might be glad but no one showed it. Nathaniel and Andrew Cole and every other top executive at COLE Consolidated were present with their wives. The church was filled to the brim and a federal road was closed for the procession to take place. The dust to dust service took a long while as lots of people wanted to pour dust on the coffin. The state's police department had a hard time maintaining order. Frank's body was laid to rest and everybody got into their cars and left.

Newspapers and magazines made huge sales the following day and for the rest of that week with different headlines and photo captions. Frank's mother who had vehemently insisted that her son should be buried soonest was labeled as a conspirator in his death. In the woman's words "My son's body will not be a specimen for practicals. I want him buried soon. He died a celebrity, his corpse should be treated as such and not to be subjected to chemical and biological tests. I don't care who or what killed him, we leave that to God to judge." David felt nothing but pity for the poor woman. He shifted his attention from all the hoolabaloo surrounding Frank Otor and focused on his first official week as the Chief IT Manager at COLE Consolidated.

He and Susan moved into their new house during the week. A duplex of 6 rooms with a spacious enough car-park to contain two of his Mercedes. It had a grass lawn and the flower beds were excellent. It was all he never dreamed to own and the house cost them Ten Million. The company made good its promise. Half of the money was paid which means David only had five million to pay for as long as he wished. Susan picked out all the furnitures and decor except the one in David's personal study. Susan insisted they installed a bed in the study. "A baby made in the study would grow up to be smart." She said.

"Are you this superstitious?" David asked.

"No. Just to convince you to put a bed there."

"Fine. You can put a bed there. A really strong one you know." David said and they both burst into laughter.

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 7:03pm On Sep 21, 2014
Special shoutout to Jeanfortune!
Re: The JOB by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 21, 2014
Nice one!! Dygeasy smiley

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 7:43pm On Sep 21, 2014
mayapop: Nice one!! Dygeasy smiley
*screams*

Ooooohhh,.. Maya!!!

I'm glad you're here smiley. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Jeanfortune(f): 9:20pm On Sep 21, 2014
Dygeasy: Special shoutout to Jeanfortune!

awww!! thanks a whole lot, didnt know this story has started, one of d best before d nairaland problem, Dygeasy, thanks a lot, i appreciate

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Nobody: 1:48am On Sep 22, 2014
Dygeasy: *screams*

Ooooohhh,.. Maya!!!

I'm glad you're here smiley. Thank you.
you're welcome wink carry on sailor!

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 7:52am On Sep 22, 2014
mayapop: you're welcome wink carry on sailor!
Aye Aye! smiley
Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 6:58pm On Sep 22, 2014
CHAPTER 6

"Good Morning Abdul." He greeted the security man as he drove in through the huge gate.

"Good Morning Dave." Abdul Bosco replied smiling. "You're up early."

"Yeah. It's my first day, I might as well be the first person." David responded.

"Have a nice day."

David drove in and went around the tall building to the back where the parking lot was. There was no car there which meant he was the first to arrive. He smiled to himself and killed the car engine after he had found a space. He got out of the car, picked up his briefcase and buttoned his new Armani suit jacket. He felt too good with himself and walked with the swagger of a rich executive towards the large glass-door at the main entrance into the building. He brought out his identity card which also serves as his keycard which grants him access into anywhere in the building which he ought to have access to. He had clearance level 3. Only the CEO had access to every part of the building and that was Clearance level 5. Andrew and other senior executives had level 4 clearance. The door swung open after he had inserted his card and he walked into the spacious reception hall. He decided to use the stairs which took him to the second floor where his office is located. The IT department faced the row of offices of the personnel managers. He walked into his secretary's office which was separated by a wall of glass from his. He walked through into his office, a well decorated office with the best of furnitures. The room smelled of fresh paint and wood polish. He sat down in his huge swivel chair behind the huge mahogany table and switched on the desktop computer on his table where he had to log into his account with his staff details. He found out everything was easy enough and he needed no orientation for him to know he had the major control to the information system of the whole building including staff details, financials and general information on every sub-division of COLE Consolidated. He was awed. He got up and opened the adjoining door leading to where he assumed would be another office. He opened the door and found himself climbing onto a small podium which had a protective pulpit-like glass from which he could address a number of people. The room was long and wide with lots of cubicles which had a desktop computer in each of them. Clearly he was the boss here.

He went back into his office and sat down in his chair and rotated it. He smiled to himself. Someone walked into his office. He hadn't closed the door while he was busy inspecting everywhere. David looked at him with questioningly. A bald-headed man with grey hair on the little part of his head that had hair. He had eyes so menacingly cold and mouth that looked set like he had never smiled with it.

"I see you're resuming early." The man said.

"Yeah. I want to get started pretty quick."

"Typical. I'm Professor (Dr) Charles Cole." The man said. "Professor of psychology and philosophy." He added proudly.

"What a weird combination." David thought. "David Osho. The new IT Manager." David said, deliberately leaving out the 'Chief'.

"I know. I've heard pretty much about you. Not important stuff though." Charles said with a scoff.

David remained silent.

"I'm used to being the early riser here. It's good you want to make an impression early enough. I'll just give you a run down of what's expected of you."

"Okay?" David said and motioned for him to sit down.

"I'm usually more comfortable in my own office." Charles said and leaned against the door.

David pursed his lips and said nothing.

"Asides your normal duty which you know already. You're going to write a professional exam in the next couple of months; The National Institute of Technology (NIT) and you can't afford to fail it. You'll be tested on your field and aptitudinally. You're going to have to study really hard for it. We usually throw the test in the way of new employees to test their knowledge and mental state. No one has failed before, you shouldn't be the first.

"And if I don't fail?" David asked.

"You'll get a 10 percent raise."

"If I fail?"

"You'll be thrown to the cubicle in there." Charles said pointing to the adjoining door between David's office and the large room.

David nodded. "But I wasn't told before."

"Are you scared already?" Charles asked with a smug smile sitting comfortably on his face. "There are many things you're going to find out in the coming days which you weren't told before."

David said nothing and sat back in his chair. He loosened his tie. "Fine."

"I'll be your personal tutor on psychology. It's part of the test." Charles said and dropped a stack of books on psychology on David's desk. All written by him.

David just kept staring at the books. Charles turned and walked out of the office like a robot low on battery. David watched him say something to his secretary who had arrived.

"Good Morning Sir. I've had your schedule for the week prepared." His secretary, a young lady who looked like she's in her late teens but in reality in her late twenties walked in. She looked pretty and wore no wedding or engagement band. She had a pair of glasses on and her gown emphasized the slight curves she had in her hips. Her legs were straight like a model's and her nose like a kettle's. Light make-up, attractive face, kept simple.

"You haven't even told me your name." David observed.

"I'm used to people calling me different names; Pouty Mouthed, Rosy eyes. Are you going to give me a new one sir?" She asked with a seductive yet professional smile.

David chuckled, "No. I'll prefer your name."

"Are you gonna be much fun at all? Call me Beth."

"Beth as in Macbeth?" David asked.

"Holy _shit! You're boring. That's dry. Elizabeth. Lizzy, Beth. I'll answer either."

"I like Lizzy more. You walk like a lizard you know." David said.

She laughed a bit too hard than David expected. "My new boss here is a very funny man."

"So my schedule looks like what?"

"Like you're not gonna be able to have lunch for the whole week." Lizzy said handing him a sheet of paper.

"Did you prepare this off your own discretion?"

"No. From different sources throughout the whole of this building. Here is the source of every information so I pulled out everything that has to do with you for the week."

"I see." David said slowly, reading the paper in his hand.

"I'm brilliant, I know." Lizzy said smiling satisfactorily with herself.

"Would you just cancel every meeting that will take place in this office today?" David asked. "I think I'm going to be too busy to see anybody today. Tell anybody I'm not in.

"I know I'm not gonna make heaven if I keep this job. I lie every day." Lizzy said.

"Would you rather quit?"

"Not even for heaven's sake." She said and did the money counting sign with her left palm and right fingers and walked gingerly out of David's office.

"What a girl." David said in his head. He got up and pulled the dark curtains over the glass wall and rolled up his shirt sleeves. He had work to do.

By 9am the whole building was filled with activities. The large room was fillied up in no time and his phone rang incessantly. It's either one of the IT guys was calling to request for his permission to access some files or someone from the finance department was logging in some exhorbitant amount of money which had be wired out or recieved. His staff account was queued up with messages waiting for action. He had a lot to cover within the shortest possible time. A time which would be more than his 8-hour work schedule. He plunged deeply into his work and took no notice of time passing. Susan called twenty-one time. He was oblivious of the fact that his phone was ringing. Lizzy brought him lunch of chicken and chips and she had a good laugh when he pointed to the food and pointed to his mouth. She practically fed him with the whole food. In fact he drank the ketchup.

By 9pm, David was still in his office working. Andrew peered in through the door. "How was your first day?"

"Fine Fine Fine." David said exhaling heavily."

"It's hard work here. Andrew said.

"Seeing is believing. I'll survive."

"Charles was here today no?"

"Yes he was."

"Pretty odd character isn't he? The worst uncle I have. Do not mind his acts."

"I've gotten over it already. He mentioned a test."

"Yes. He was right. We were going to tell you but events over the week didn't let us. We're sorry. It's nothing really but it is important."

"I know how important it is. It could cost me this chair. I'll prepare for it." David said straight-facedly.

"You're going to have to do some studying. You're mainly going to be tested on your course of study. The psychology aspect is going to be tutored by Charles. He volunteered. Its not my doing." Andrew said absolving himself from anything that had to do with marrying David and Charles because he could tell the obvious dislike David had for Charles.

"Fine. Okay."

"Here are some books you might need." David Andrew said and dropped the bag he was holding on David's table.

"I didn't have this much in my undergraduate days."

"I trust you won't disappoint." Andrew said.

"Don't worry about me."

He was in the car backing out of the parking lot when he noticed the LED light on his phone blinking and then he found thirty-two missed calls from Susan. He almost lost control as the car sped dangerously into reverse. The number of calls was outrageous and he had never had that much number of missed calls in his entire life. Since he had met Susan, they had barely spent ten hours apart. David's first day at work would be the first time. He left home before 6am and he was going home some minutes to midnight. He drove out of the gates and got on the road leading to his new home. Susan would still be awake he thought. Was she going to be angry? She'll understand it was his job. But he should have called her. But he hadn't seen her missed calls. He made the ten minutes drive home in seven minutes. He held his jacket and briefcase and unlocked the frontdoor. The lights and the television were still on. Susan sat quietly on a couch in a transparent nightgown staring at the television. "Babe I'm sorry." He said as he walked into the living room and joined her on the couch.

"Is this how it's going to be everyday? You should have at least called."

"I'm sorry. I didn't know you called."

"And you didn't bother to call to check on me all day."

"I'm sorry baby. It won't happen again." He said and kissed her neck. "Did you just have your bath?"

Susan nodded.

"_Naked?" He asked.

"If only you were home in time." Susan said getting up. "And don't even think about it. You can get your food from the kitchen." She pulled her night robe around her and climbed the stairs leading to their bedroom.

David said nothing but relaxed in the couch and shut his eyes and mind off the worries of the day and the days to come.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The JOB by olashas(f): 7:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
cool

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 8:04pm On Sep 24, 2014
Whew! Sorry guys. I'm having a 'tech-crisis' here. I'll update by midnight.

The story is just gonna get better and better.
Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 12:29am On Sep 25, 2014
CHAPTER 7

David was awake as early as five AM the following morning and with him spending the night in the living room, there was no alarm to wake him. He felt a sharp pain in his neck as he had it bent all through his sleep. He shook off the remainder of the sleep in him while he massaged his neck. He slowly threw away the covers on him. He wondered how he got himself covered. He didn't go ups tai last night did he? He wondered. Susan must have done it. She didn't wake him up. The thought alone made him smile. She had carried his briefcase, shoes and suitjacket upstairs. He dragged his legs across the living room casting an admiration glance around. He admired everything he called his and smiled. He yawned lazily and started his ascent up the stairs. Susan was still in bed sleeping. He got out of what was left of his clothes and went into the bathroom. He got out in less than five minutes and got dressed. Susan was still sleeping by the time he was ready. He leaned down to kiss her on the forehead but Susan met his mouth with hers. They kissed for about a minute. "Sorry I ruined your mouth." She said giggling.

"I'm more worried about my shirt." David responded with a smile. "I love you babe."

"I love you too." Susan said and they kissed again. The sound of the alarm borough them back to life. It was 5:45am."

"I've got to go honey. I'll see you in the evening."

"Okay. Thou shall not leave my calls unanswered." Susan said with a warning tone."

"Aye Aye." David said.

"I made you tea in the flask in the kitchen."

"You're a darling" David said and walked out.

He was seated in his huge chair before the clock struck 6:30am. Work had piled up already for him which needed his authorization. Some branches of operations of COLE Consolidated offer 24-hour services so it was normal for him to have so many requests to sign off on. His secretary wouldn't resume until 7am so he set to work alone. After almost one hour of intensive clicking and typing he could feel activities resuming from where they stopped the previous day. Elizabeth walked into his office at 7:10am.

"Good Morning Sir."

"Morning Beth. How was your night?" David responded taking his day's schedule from her. "You're okay?"

"Me? Oh yeah. Just had a rough night. I'll be fine." She responded.

"No, sit down and have some tea." David said getting up and opening his thermoflask. He poured some tea into a mug and handed it to her. Elizabeth had barely pit the cup to her mouth when she burst into tears. She placed her head on David'as lap. "it's okay. Talk to me."

"I disappointed my best friend and now she doesn't want to talk to or see me any more."

"Is that all?" David asked.

Elizabeth nodded"

"Don't worry. You just freshen up and we'll talk about it during lunchtime. We have a lot of work to do at the moment. We'll sort everything out but first things first no matter what. Our survival lies in where we earn. Let's survive first." David said patting her.

"Thank you very much sir. I'm sorry about that. I ruined your trousers."

David smiled. "Tears dry don't they?"

Elizabeth nodded.

"It will dry and never return for the same reason. Let's make the same happen to your face." David said. His desk telephone rang. Elizabeth went into the restroom.

"I'll be right back Beth." He called out to her after placing the telephone back in its cradle.

"David used the elevator and climbed up to the tenth floor whrich housed the entertainment branch of COLE CONSOLIDATED. The call he had received earlier had summoned him to get to the film studio immediately. He had never been there and once he stepped out of the elevator, he felt like he was in a new world. Everything looked beautiful with colourful pictures of popular actors and musicians ardoning every where. He remembered Angela Okor at that moment and he really wished to bump into her. Her picture graced the wall directly across the elevator door. He walked into the studio which looked too big to be inside the building. There were no lights and it seed lifeless but then at one corner of the elevated stage he saw a group of people. Some he recognized, others he didn't. He recognized Andrew from the lot and he walked towards them. He got the shocker of his life when he saw what they were crowded upon. She lay there sprawled on the ground, her neck bent. She looked lifeless. Of course she was lifeless. David missed a step as he climbed up the stage. He was speechless and before he could utter a word, Andrew spoke, "David I'm sorry for bringing you into this but we need you to unlock this computer." Andrew said pointing to a laptop computer. David knew that wasn't right as he disn't see any law enforcement agent around. A murder took place and should be reported and hanged by law experts.
David hesitated a bit. "I'm going to need some time?" He mmanaged to say. The looks on the faces of everyone around told him he wasn't going to get such time. He sighed heavily and took the laptop. It took him less than ten minutes to unlock. restore the computer back to the inter session before its last shutdown. The most active chat was disturbing. There was a hot exchange of words and the name David could rhead made his mouth hang open. ELIZABETH EKWENSI... His one day old secretary. David remained speechless. The whole studio remained silent...

They all stood looking at the body. They crowded round him reading the exchanged chats between the last user of the computer and Elizabeth Ekwensi. Angela Orlu had threatened to kill Elizabeth and talked of how she would never forgive her. She also threatened to expose what Elizabeth Ekwensi and Frank Otor had together. Nobody spoke. The realization of what he just witnessed was getting difficult for David to process or sink into his head. The number one person he wished he'd bump into was lying dead in front of him and the one whose tears his trousers had dried minutes earlier was the first suspect.

"What did these two share in common?" An old man, one of the rich executives asked.

"They were best friends." Andrew answered.

"When did they fall out?"

"A few days ago after Frank's death. Pictures got out confirming Frank and Elizabeth having an affair against company rules."

"And Angela's problem with that is?" Another executive asked.

"She was Frank's girlfriend." Andrew answered.

"The company approved?"

"No but we couldn't do anything about it. They were indispensable at the time. We could only warn or threaten them and they knew how important they were."

"Let's hold a meeting soon and let's get out of here. You can call the police now. David, lock the computer back." Charles Cole who had been quiet all the while gave out the last orders and they all filed out of the studio. David felt uneasy. Andrew was sweating. None of the old men felt moved. David did well to remind himself of the veiled warning in Charle'as last statement, "You shall not mention this to anyone until the police arrive."

David thought of going to his office but decided against it. He couldn't possibly face his secretary. He opted to allow Andrew instead. "I'm really sorry man." Andrew said as they stepped into his secretary's office.

"Shhhh!" David cautioned d him.

"What are you two gossiping about?" Brenda, Andrew's secretary asked.

"Nothing. He beat me at a scrabble game yesterday." David said.

Brenda raised her brows. "Andrew hates puzzles and games like that."

"He's learning. He loves it now." David stammered and he walked as fast as he could past the woman through Andrew's office doors.

The two men sat down without talking to each other. "What exactly is happening?" David asked after what seemed like eternity.

"I don't know." Andrew sighed.

There were noises outside and they could feel people bustling with extra energy. Everywhere was noisy and loud. David and Andrew looked. at each other and stood up at the same time. "What's happening Brenda?" David asked his secretary feigning ignorance.
"I don't know. You're almost out, check yourself." Brenda responded standoffishly.

David and Andrew ignored her and went out of the office into the long passage. They watched as people made their way to the elevator all heading to the tenth floor.
"Sir Angela Orlu is dead." A young boy said to Andrew. He looked breatheless.

"Where? How?" David asked. He was learning the art of lying already.

"In the studio. One of the interns found her."

"Lets go." He tugged Andrew and they got into the elevator.

4 Likes

Re: The JOB by Nobody: 2:53am On Sep 25, 2014
What's killing 'em? lipsrsealed.

NEXT CHAPTER PLEASE!
Re: The JOB by creamyanne: 10:25am On Sep 25, 2014
Intresting!
Re: The JOB by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
Very intriguing n captivating. Weldon
Re: The JOB by jedalorh: 12:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
The suspense is killing me...next chapter pleeeeaaaase
Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 6:46pm On Sep 25, 2014

The police were questioning Elizabeth when they both entered the studio. Her face looked swollen than ever and tears kept streaming down r cheeks. Every worker wanted to get into the studio and the police had a hard time blocking the entrance. David watched the whole thing from afar ile Andrew went to have discussion with one of the policemen. David felt his phone vibrate. "Hello"

"Hello brother." The voice on the other end said.

"Hello," David responded.

"it's your cousin, Williams. I'm calling from Mexico and please don't hang up."

David's lips trembled. "What do you want?"

"I want to help you."

"I don't need your help. I'm fine."

"I know you're fine. You're rich now. Cole Consolidated isn't it?" Williams asked.
David was silent
"You need to know lot of things about that company. You're not safe and I can help you."

"I'm fine. Fvck off!" David yelled into the phone and everyone around looked at him. "Don't ever call me again Will." He added whisperingly.

"I won't. I'll show up at your house tomorrow. Be nice when I come. I heard you're engaged to a pretty girl. I'd like to meet her." William said and hung up.

David boiled inside himself with rage. He became restless.

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 6:49pm On Sep 25, 2014
CHAPTER 8

By 5pm David was driving on the road leading to his house. "Just drive past your house," William had told him. "Drive at 20km/h and observe carefully for any unusual activities around. Don't make your presence too obvious. Go as slowly as possible." David found the orders ridiculous. He wouldnt have heeded had William not once been the most trusted person in his life. Even though William had committed lots of atrocities even against David in the past, David still had a soft spot reserved for his cousin. William usually had always been the wild and adventurous one. All the years of their growing up, William got into more trouble than was in the 'Pandora's Box of 'Trouble'. He got locked up more than ten times for gambling. He got two girls pregnant before he was 19, was expelled twice from the same high school for tapping a teacher's 'ass as he called it. David was highly surprised when William declared he wanted to study Intelligence and Security as a course. William had finished his bachelor's degree one year before David finished his and they were both planning to go for their Masters degree. William wanted to go to either America or Europe while David was fine with anywhere. They both saved to further their studies but William spent more than half gambling while he used the rest to smuggle himself illegally to Egypt and then to Spain before eventually ending up in Mexico. For almost two years David had not wished to speak with him and he hadn't. William calling David at the time he did gives David a kind of feeling and a sense of foreboding. He hadn't forgiven him. He delayed his furthering of his postgraduate studies.

David drove for 8 minutes before he reached his house and directly in front of his house were two service vans. One of them labelled laundry services and the other, water delivery services. David drove past slowly as instructed and some seconds later his phone rang. "Park your car five houses from yours. In front of the green house." It was William. David did as instructed. David waited for about 5 minutes before William opened the passenger's door and got into the car.

"David what's up?" William who looked older and more matured said as he opened the door to David's car.

David didn't say any thing. He just turned sideways and sized William up with his eyes.

"I know you're crossed with me man but we gotta save you and others first. Follow me." William said and got out of the car.

David followed him and they both got into a van similar to the ones David had seen earlier. It was an environmental sanitation van.

"You see those service vans? They aren't what they seem to be."

"How do you mean?" David asked.

"Just like this one, does this look like it's gonna go around to collect garbage." William asked.

David looked around him and observed the lush leather settee, high-tech recording equipment, high-definition screens. He slowly shook his head."

"Did you order for any of the services they render?"

"No. My wife might have."

"Call her and ask?" William put in.

"What exactly is happening?" David asked bringing out his phone to make a phone call.

William pointed to one of the screens. "I've been watching for hours on end now."

"That's my house isn't it? You've been spying on me?" David angrily asked putting the phone back in his pocket.

"Yes I have. It's to protect you." William said.

"You run off to some distant part of the world after you almost ruined my life and now you come back telling me how you want to protect me." David ranted.

"Just relax. I'll tell you everything. It's about the company you work for." William said.

"I don't care and I need you to stop right now." David shouted and then his phone rang again. It was Andrew. He wanted David back at the office. It was some minutes to 6pm. "I've gotta go man." David got out of the van.

The news had spread all round the country about the death of Angela Orlu. It was shocking and even as Susan laid on his chest while they both watched the news he could feel she had questions to ask about the deaths at his workplace. "Your company sent some people to come install a washing machine today. Are you aware?" Susan asked.

"No. I didn't know. One of my bosses told me this evening though."

"Okay. I'm just surprised you never mentioned it."

"I didn't know myself."

"I'll be visiting my parents next weekend. It's their wedding anniversary."

"That's cool and be sure to bring home your dad's blessings. I want to get married."

"You know it'd be nice if you'll come with me. Maybe you two can connect that way."

"No, I'm not going anywhere. He'll be the one to come to my house. He once told me he doubts I can own a house remember?." David said.

Susan chuckled. I know you two will make friends soon."

"Of course." Since I'm now the rich son-in-law he dreams for his beautiful daughter."

"Shut up." Susan poked him. "It's my dad you're talking about like that."

"I know. Anyway William is back in the country."

"Your cousin?" Susan asked. "The one that ran away?".

"Yes." David answered.

Susan's facial expression changed. "What does he want this time?"

David's phone rang and he picked it.

"Even in my own house?" David said with an expression of disbelief and shock."

Susan couldn't hear what the person on the other end said.

"Let's go for a walk?" David said.

At the topmost floor of the COLE Consolidated Building in a sound-proof dark glassed room were Professor Charles Cole and three other men. One of them, pot bellied and too large for the chair he was sitting in. The other, a young slim guy wearing glasses and staring intently at the screens in front of him. Charles Cole stood with the third man, a rather heavily built hefty man with a scar across his face running perpendicular to his nose. In the room were watching and listening equipment.

"Anything so far Eddie?" Charles asked the fat man.

Eddie cleared his throat before answering. "His wife bought the washing machine story and you called him at the right time. He didnt think twice about it."

"What have they talked about so far?"

"Nothing serious. Just family talks. Neither of them discussed Angela's death even though we heard them watching the news. He didnt mention it at all." The slim man responded.

"Good. Are they still talking?" Charles asked.

"No. It seems they went out. He got a call and he told her he wanted them to go for a walk." Eddie responded.

"What was the call about?" The hefty man, Maxwell spoke for the first time.

"He said something like 'Even in my own house' and the call was off then he told her to go with him for a walk."

"Do you think he's suspecting? I wish we could watch them." Charlie said facing Maxwell.

"Oh yeah and watch them have _sex too. I know you like those scenes." Maxwell sneered. "What's that style you like most?"

Eddie stiffled a laugh. Charlie went purple in the face.

"Good job guys. Keep listening." Max said and went out of the room.

2 Likes

Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 6:53pm On Sep 25, 2014
mayapop: What's killing 'em? lipsrsealed.

NEXT CHAPTER PLEASE!
That is why we are reading cool
creamyanne: Intresting!
Candis009: Very intriguing n captivating. Weldon
Thanks guys.

I really do appreciate your comments.
jedalorh: The suspense is killing me...next chapter pleeeeaaaase
Stick around Jedalorh.
Re: The JOB by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hmm. Interesting smiley

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Timothy3113(m): 7:13pm On Sep 25, 2014
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 25, 2014
I knew it.... how could one get such a job just like that.. I knew dere was more to it

Good job man

1 Like

Re: The JOB by Jeanfortune(f): 10:27pm On Sep 25, 2014
good, now we are getting to d part where we stopped...
Re: The JOB by Numerouuuno: 11:10pm On Sep 25, 2014
looks like this was were we stopped before the 'Hurricane' wiped of NL database.
Good to be back Officially.
thumbs up baba
Re: The JOB by Dygeasy(m): 7:22pm On Sep 28, 2014
CHAPTER 9

Exactly two weeks after Angela Orlu's death, David got to work as early as usual at 6:00am and sat in his chair. He just stared into space all through his first hour in his office. He was thinking about so many things- His new job, the outrageous salary and bonuses, the deaths, William's return and his offer to help keep him safe. Keep him safe from who or what? Elizabeth's involvement in Angela's murder. Could she have done it? Could she have done it and still act so saintly as she had the other day? He had no answers to the questions. The two biggest celebrities under the company just died under mysterious circumstances which gave him or anyone enough reasons to be wary. He tried getting himself to get to work but he just found it hard to concentrate. One hour later and he had not still done anything other than stare into space and think. Some minutes past seven AM, Professor Charles Chole peered in and walked into David's office.

"Good Morning sir." David said standing up.

"Morning." Charles mumbled and nodded. "How are you preparing for your examinations?"

"Errmm.. I don't know. Fine. I've been distracted by the happenings around but I'll cope." David said.

"Distracted? How? How are they any of your business?"

David raised his eyebrows. He kept silent.

"Better get properly prepared. You wouldn't want to break the record would you?"

David still kept quiet.

"Good." Charles said and walked towards the door.

"David got up and headed for the door. He walked out of his office towards the elevator. He got in and noticed the button for the tenth floor had been pressed. Apparently the beautiful young lady beside him was going to the tenth floor too. "Hi," David said to her.
She was dressed in tight black leather pants which emphasized all of her features and David had almost never beheld a pair of stilletos that high. She flipped her head backwards and her hair flung to the back to form a beautiful mane while she stood with her head high. "Hi." She said to David.

"You're new here?" David said trying to strike a conversation with her.

"Yes. I'm about to sign a movie contract."

"You're an actress? I don't know you.

"You've probably been watching the wrong movies."

"I'm David. You are."

"Stay updated with movie news. I'm sure you'll find out what my name is and you're gonna bless this day." She responded and stepped out of the elevator which had stopped on the tenth floor.

David got out too. Richard and Moni Aji were standing outside the elevator. Moni gave him a smile while he forced himself to smile back. He veered to his right towards the movie studio. Posters and wallpapers bearing the photos of Angela Orji still remained on the walla but they instead bore mournful messages and there was a sad tone to the colours of everything around him. He kept walking and entered into the studio. It was dreadfully silent And dark. He looked at the stage and he came to a stark realisation of what his business really was in there. Investigations were ongoing and here he was at a murder or death scene as the case may be. He strode round the large room looking for nothing in particular. Everywhere was cleaned up and there really was nothing to find even if he was looking for anything. He decided he was going to leave afterall then something struck his attention. A leather-jacket was on the floor well out of view. It was right under the director's seat. Which explains why nobody took any notice of it. The cops must have concentrated mainly on the stage where Angela's corpse was found. "Dumbos." Davod muttered to himself. He bent down to pick it but straightened himself. Common sense told him if the jacket was some sort of evidence, he'd better pick it with gloves and keep it in an evidence bag or polythene bag. He looked around and could find nothing that would suffice for the items he needed. He dashed out at once towards the elevator bumping into a cleaner outside. "Sorry." He managed to say and walked as fast as he could towards the elevator which took him straight down to the second floor.

In the topmost floor of COLE Consolidated Building, Charlie and Eddie were relaxing in their chairs before the numerous screens where the watched people real time. A young man dressed in cleaner robes got into the room half-breathing half-gasping. "I got it." He said raising a leather-jacket up for the duo to see.

"Great." Eddie said.

"But I found the new guy snooping around. Do you think he might be suspecting something?" The cleaner asked.

"There is only one way to know." Charlie said and pressed some buttons and David's office came into view on one of the screens. "There." He said smiling satisfactorily. David was seen holding a bag and heading out of his office.

"-Bleep! He was coming back for the jacket."

"Thank your stars. And hope the boss doesn't know about the mistake." Eddie said.

"What's going on here?" Max, the heavily built man bellowed as he came in. "And why are you watching David Osho?"

"He was in the studio today. I don't know what he was looking for but he was there." The cleaner said.

"Okay." Get back to work. "Richard and Moni Aji have been taken care of." He said and went out back the way he came.
Re: The JOB by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 28, 2014
Piquant and Saucy

I recommend for Naijaboiy, herald9, pr0ton, An0nimus, Rilwayne001, UjSizzle etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The JOB by Pr0ton: 8:10pm On Sep 28, 2014
FrancisTony: Piquant and Saucy

What's the book all about?
Re: The JOB by Nobody: 8:15pm On Sep 28, 2014
Pr0ton:

What's the book all about?

Which book? Read the literary piece of OP nau.

It's a story. We are in Chapter9. Start from first page(0)
Re: The JOB by naijaboiy: 9:19pm On Sep 28, 2014

For
Re: The JOB by Iolite(f): 10:33pm On Sep 28, 2014
Whoa! This is getting more dangerouse for David.
Re: The JOB by An0nimus: 1:40am On Sep 29, 2014

I'm a lazy reader these days embarassed
Re: The JOB by HumbledbYGrace(f): 5:25pm On Sep 30, 2014
Hmmmm, I am enjoying this, dear please don't starve us with delayed updates.

I encounted some errors; are you writing in past tense or future tense? Please decide on that and there were some ommitted words, I think its just writing typos, please try to proof read before posting, and you used "the" instead of "they" several times too in the first few lines.

That aside, this feels like I am reading John Grisham, I love the story line.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kiss Me One More Night - Episode 2 / Audio Books / I Wanna Win (A Us-based Story)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.