Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,676 members, 7,809,570 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? (961 Views)

What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? / Does Culture Define The Way Nigerian Men Act In Relationships To A Large Extent? / How Do You Define A Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by freeafrica365: 7:04pm On Sep 17, 2014
What do you consider as African?

Is it simply being born on our continent?

Explain your thoughts, curious: what determines your Africanness, so to speak?

HERE IS WHY I ASK

BACKGROUND: This lady put the following on my facebook page (she claims that she got this from somewhere else in England); she knows I always talk about the definition of African

Again...
An African from Zimbabwe defined African as follows:

Re: How do you define the term African?
The only people I consider African are:
- Those who were born in an African country and have African family members and know which ethnic group they're from and follow some customs.
- Those born outside of Africa but have African family and know which ethnic group they're from and follow some customs.

For example: my cousins were born in England but to Zimbabwean parents, they consider themselves Zimbabwean first before British and eat Zimbabwean food and understand our language.

I don't consider Caribbeans or Afro Americans African though.

Even though I live in England I am African, it would be a joke for me to call myself European so why is it okay the for the other way round (white people).
Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by pweedyuz(f): 7:17pm On Sep 17, 2014
confused

1 Like

Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by freeafrica365: 8:36pm On Sep 17, 2014
pweedyuz: confused

Oh ok. Sorry sista. It started with my post on facebook. I said whites / european in South Africa are NOT African. So it got real heated. A lady said someone else just discussed this matter on a different forum, and she thinks that definition would suit us best...as to what is really African and what isnt.
Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by Laya(m): 12:42pm On Sep 18, 2014
freeafrica365:

Oh ok. Sorry sista. It started with my post on facebook. I said whites / european in South Africa are NOT African. So it got real heated. A lady said someone else just discussed this matter on a different forum, and she thinks that definition would suit us best...as to what is really African and what isnt.

I hope most of the people who got heated wasn't Blacks or African Blacks themselves, in support that "Europeans in South Africa
are Africans"

1 Like

Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by freeafrica365: 5:01pm On Sep 18, 2014
Laya:

I hope most of the people who got heated wasn't Blacks or African Blacks themselves, in support that "Europeans in South Africa
are Africans"

Yup! They were bruddah!

I have since deleted a few, estimate 12.

I dont think whites that are in South Africa, Kenya or anywhere else are African
I count those that are black in skin as African.

They debated me on naturally born there. My argument? They are NOT indigenous nor are their ancestors.
Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:16pm On Sep 18, 2014
you are African if your ethnic group is indigenous of the African continent ad is not found anywhere else
white, arabs , Asians &co are not Africans

Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Zulu,Xhosa, Baka, Khoisan Etc are Africans
this is our home, our homeland and we decide who is from here

I also don't see Caribbean and black American as Africans, they are westerners in "Black skin"

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by freeafrica365: 10:54pm On Sep 18, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: you are African if your ethnic group is indigenous of the African continent ad is not found anywhere else
white, arabs , Asians &co are not Africans

Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Zulu,Xhosa, Baka, Khoisan Etc are Africans
this is our home, our homeland and we decide who is from here

I also don't see Caribbean and black American as Africans, they are westerners in "Black skin"

Good on bruddah!

I agree.

But, I count afro american and afro caribbean as African; they really didnt have a choice in the matter. <~ slight disagreement but thats probably because I live in their country.

But I am more so concerned with the europeans coming to our continent, buying our land and calling themselves African.

Yes! We decide!!!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by traware(m): 12:38am On Sep 19, 2014
freeafrica365:

Good on bruddah!

I agree.

But, I count afro american and afro caribbean as African; they really didnt have a choice in the matter. <~ slight disagreement but thats probably because I live in their country.

But I am more so concerned with the europeans coming to our continent, buying our land and calling themselves African.

Yes! We decide!!!
Sir,there are sixth generation people of Lebanese,Syrian and Indian descent who reside in Nigeria and I have also met Phillipino,French,Italian,Chinese and English nationals who have stayed in Nigeria for so long,they now speak English with a West African accent and understand various Nigerian cultures.Correction,not all Africans are 'black'/'dark-skinned'.I consider an African, a person born and raised in continental Africa or surrounded by continental African culture and understands the mindsets of the inhabitants of Africa despite how heterogenous we are.That means the Indians in East Africa,the whites in Southern Africa and the mixed race population in a country like Angola,are all Africans by my standards.I consider 'Afri-Americans' as westerners though.I've actually heard many say they prefer to be called 'Black' because they aren't 'Africans'.I don't really know much about 'Caribbeans' but from what I've seen, they also try to be too 'western'(not pointing fingers because Nigerians are also guilty of thesame mindset).So...there it is

1 Like

Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 12:42am On Sep 19, 2014
uncle tom go away ^
your post doesn't make any sense , why do you bring skin color here? where did he say only dark or whatever are Africans
being African is more than speaking with a so called west African accent

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by traware(m): 1:01am On Sep 19, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: uncle tom go away ^
your post doesn't make any sense , why do you bring skin color here? where did he say only dark or whatever are Africans
Sir,take it easy.You seem to be too quick to rush to judgment.I raised some very good points in my post apart from the ones you stated(which I also believe are good points).Whether you like it or not,we share the world,our continent and states with other races.There's nothing you and I can do about it.African nationalism doesn't mean racial hatred thesame way feminism doesn't automatically imply men-hating.Once again,calm down and take a deep breath before replying posts and throwing labels around.I am not on Nairaland to impress you or tally to your 'o so high standard'

1 Like

Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by Laya(m): 2:40am On Sep 25, 2014
freeafrica365:

Yup! They were bruddah!

I have since deleted a few, estimate 12.

I dont think whites that are in South Africa, Kenya or anywhere else are African
I count those that are black in skin as African.

They debated me on naturally born there. My argument? They are NOT indigenous nor are their ancestors.

Yep, sad indeed!

I agree, like you I don't see "white" people born in Africa as Africans.
The closest they come is "European-African"

1 Like

Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by freeafrica365: 2:44am On Sep 25, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: uncle tom go away ^

He is an uncle tom.
Re: How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? by freeafrica365: 3:59am On Sep 25, 2014
Laya:

Yep, sad indeed!

I agree, like you I don't see "white" people born in Africa as Africans.
The closest they come is "European-African"

THANK YOU

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Expose Unfriendly Friends / Happy Chocklet Day Messages Sms Greetings / Stop Demonizing Urhobo Culture -DELSU Dons To Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.