Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,313 members, 7,954,252 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:25 PM

What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? (11149 Views)

Is Culture And Tradition Idol Worshiping? / How Do You Define African? How Is It Determined? / How Do You Define A Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 5:04am On Jul 29, 2012
How do we define Culture in Nigeria?

At about 1:30 pm today, I walked into the student center at UIC to get me a snack, and I came upon a placard announcing a meeting in Cardinal room, organized by a 100 Igbos USA, INC and Umu Igbo Alliance entitled "Amandigbo". I was sure the words seemed Ibo so I went downstairs to the information desk and was told it was an african meeting. Being the curious person I am, I decided to check it out.

As I approached I saw a lady speaking at the podium, so I stood outside the door rather than walk in to get a good look at what was going on inside.
From the brochure, I learnt that the gathering was an Ibo gathering and the theme was cultural. However,flipping through the pages, I realized that more than 50% of it was filled with pictures of people/families who I have never heard of, and probably never seen too(no stories of them included--seemed more like some show off magazine lol ), and on the last two pages, the name of a bunch of medical practisioners who, again, I have never heard of before. Got me wondering what of culture they were all gathered to talk about, here in the United States. I admit I have not spent much time researching the organizations in question but if any of you have, please feel free to inform us on what it is exactly they each stand for.

We tend to talk a lot about culture in Nigeria, in a seemingly abstract manner by the way. And it seems individuals have their own idea of what culture is and what it applies to. My question is, apart from attires and dances, is culture still alive in Nigeria? If yes, in what form does it exist? What is culture to you?
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by tpia5: 5:44am On Jul 29, 2012
culture is what defines a group apart from blood ties.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by antitpiah: 6:08am On Jul 29, 2012
So Kobo is Ibo. Anyway, so that was you? I was at UIC today . . . wow you are so gorgeous. When next are you coming? Maybe we can hang out?
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by odumchi: 6:15am On Jul 29, 2012
There's a difference between culture in Nigeria and culture in the diaspora.

In Nigeria a cultural event is an event in which people of the same sub-ethnic group congregate and practice their tradition. However in the diaspora (especially in the United States), the gathering of members of a particular ethnic group (for whatever reason) usually passes as a cultural event.

Nonetheless, [in this case] the culture and traditions of the Igbo are still well and alive.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 3:01pm On Jul 29, 2012
What is Culture to you? Is Culture about the way you eat? What is it? How do you define it in your own life? Is it in the way you breath? Or is, like the African Americans mostly assume, in the way you dress, and wear your hair? What is it?

A lot of Organizations that pretend to stand for Cultural Representation tend to do so by having people dressed in certain attires. Is that what Culture now is about? Dressing up in huge headscarves and wrapper? Wearing Aso Ebi and the lot? Is that what your cultural identity is about? And this question is not just for those in the diaspora.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 3:09pm On Jul 29, 2012
odumchi: There's a difference between culture in Nigeria and culture in the diaspora.

In Nigeria a cultural event is an event in which people of the same sub-ethnic group congregate and practice their tradition. However in the diaspora (especially in the United States), the gathering of members of a particular ethnic group (for whatever reason) usually passes as a cultural event.

Nonetheless, [in this case] the culture and traditions of the Igbo are still well and alive.

Practice what tradition? Dancing? Pouring wine to the gods? To the dead? What tradition do they practice that is widely accepted as a part of that culture? If we are on talking to other gods ,and the dead, what happens to those from the same who do not subscribe to those beliefs . . . are they less CULTURAL as a result?

Just the other day, I was at a meeting of Yoruba's in diaspora as well . .. again, I went there to scope out the meeting, and I kept hearing the same thing over and over . . . OUR CULTURE . .. half of the people were dressed in traditional attire, and I wondered then too what particular aspects of culture they were referring to.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by odumchi: 5:53pm On Jul 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Practice what tradition? Dancing? Pouring wine to the gods? To the dead? What tradition do they practice that is widely accepted as a part of that culture? If we are on talking to other gods ,and the dead, what happens to those from the same who do not subscribe to those beliefs . . . are they less CULTURAL as a result?

Just the other day, I was at a meeting of Yoruba's in diaspora as well . .. again, I went there to scope out the meeting, and I kept hearing the same thing over and over . . . OUR CULTURE . .. half of the people were dressed in traditional attire, and I wondered then too what particular aspects of culture they were referring to.

A people's culture is a combination of all the things that make them a people: their language, their tradition, their history, their etiquette, and their worldview.

All of those things that you listed are all part of a people's culture. Tradition is known as the repitition of anything that one's ancestors did, therefore it varies from place to place. Nowadays, people have grown liberal and not all practice everything that their ancestors did, however it does not mean that they are not involved in their culture.

Any meeting in which members of a specific ethnic group congregate to; discuss matters of social significance to them [and their group]; speak their language; exhibit their cultural attire; and practice their tradition is a cultural event.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 9:31pm On Jul 29, 2012
odumchi:

A people's culture is a combination of all the things that make them a people: their language, their tradition, their history, their etiquette, and their worldview.

All of those things that you listed are all part of a people's culture. Tradition is known as the repitition of anything that one's ancestors did, therefore it varies from place to place. Nowadays, people have grown liberal and not all practice everything that their ancestors did, however it does not mean that they are not involved in their culture.

Any meeting in which members of a specific ethnic group congregate to; discuss matters of social significance to them [and their group]; speak their language; exhibit their cultural attire; and practice their tradition is a cultural event.

You are still speaking in an ABSTRACT manner of what culture is. How many Nigerians in the Diaspora do you know of that gather to speak only their language anywhere? How many of them raise their kids to speak this language of theirs? How many of them make sure to teach their kids of this history, you speak of? How many of them bother these days to worry about etiquette and all those ideas.

I guess one could ask this of Nigerians in Nigeria as well. I don't know any of those close to me who teach their kids of their ethnic history or even the language. Many right there in Nigeria strive to have their kids speak English and many don't even know how to write a full sentence in their native tongue.

Tradition, according to you, repetition of anything that one's ancestors did. If my kids were to repeat what they saw my grandmother did(not really to do with culture) while she was alive, can I conclude then that my Children are traditionalists in their own way?
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:22pm On Jul 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Pagan/Tribal Culture and religion is inseparable. because most cultural events have religious undertones and significance.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by odumchi: 10:22pm On Jul 29, 2012
Kobojunkie:

You are still speaking in an ABSTRACT manner of what culture is. How many Nigerians in the Diaspora do you know of that gather to speak only their language anywhere? How many of them raise their kids to speak this language of theirs? How many of them make sure to teach their kids of this history, you speak of? How many of them bother these days to worry about etiquette and all those ideas.

I guess one could ask this of Nigerians in Nigeria as well. I don't know any of those close to me who teach their kids of their ethnic history or even the language. Many right there in Nigeria strive to have their kids speak English and many don't even know how to write a full sentence in their native tongue.

Tradition, according to you, repetition of anything that one's ancestors did. If my kids were to repeat what they saw my grandmother did(not really to do with culture) while she was alive, can I conclude then that my Children are traditionalists in their own way?

Well since you asked, I know many Nigerians who regularly attend cultural events and are fluent in their languages. My siblings and I regularly attend our hometown meetings with our parents in addition to masses held in our native language. We are opportuned to observe the practices, tradition, and language of our people even though we live abroad.

Events like these have helped us to adequately learn our culture and tradition, and are the reasons why we are fluent in our native language. One's perception of the health of culture in the diaspora is based largely on the people you affiliate with.

I don't want to get into anything technical regarding the meaning of tradition. Let's just say that it is the practices of your people.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Nobody: 1:34am On Jul 30, 2012
To me, culture is both practical and technical.
Culture defines traditions, languages, habits, and livelihood specified to a particular. The way we dress, the way we rationalize, the way we tolerate others around us.

Sometimes we separate ourselves from our society to build our own identity, but our culture is still part of that identity.

As for me, I can speak my language, I can cook my food, I wear my cultural attires, and I identify with my people. No, I do not follow very tradition, and yes, I've built my own identity.
I am not affiliated with any Nigerian social group or cause. No, I do not want to be affiliated with any Nigerian group or cause.

I've began individualizing myself a few years ago. I'm less cultural than I was 5 years ago. I'm more open-minded about Non-Nigerian groups. I do not seek out any Nigerian affiliated groups. I select which cultural attributes I want to support. As long as I get support from the most important woman in my life (my mother), I do not need to fear social disapproval. Infact, I do not care for any Nigerian social approval. Infact, if i was scorned by any Nigerian social group right now, I'll jump for joy lmao.

Some people think going to a Nigerian event to sit through 4 hrs of boring lectures introduces and re-introduces them and their children to their culture. ROTFLMAO! At the end of the day, everybody goes back home to their American house, to cook with their American utensils, to eat their Americanized version of Nigerian food, to talk in their American english to their Americanized children, then to their American bed where they dream their American dream lmao.

1 Like

Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 2:22am On Jul 30, 2012
odumchi:

Well since you asked, I know many Nigerians who regularly attend cultural events and are fluent in their languages. My siblings and I regularly attend our hometown meetings with our parents in addition to masses held in our native language. We are opportuned to observe the practices, tradition, and language of our people even though we live abroad.

Events like these have helped us to adequately learn our culture and tradition, and are the reasons why we are fluent in our native language. One's perception of the health of culture in the diaspora is based largely on the people you affiliate with.

I don't want to get into anything technical regarding the meaning of tradition. Let's just say that it is the practices of your people.

You do realize that I can say just about the same you have above, of my person as well. It may not mean the same thing but I can basically classify myself as a culturally minded person is all that is required is what you have above. Even many African American will tell you that they also qualify going by what you have above.

So, again, this is about being technical here. What makes you more culturally-minded than the next guy?
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by MrsChima(f): 2:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
It's like trying to define commons between apples and oranges.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by odumchi: 6:30pm On Jul 30, 2012
Kobojunkie:
So, again, this is about being technical here. What makes you more culturally-minded than the next guy?

I'm not attempting to be more culturally minded than anyone. I think Ileke defined it best:

"Culture defines traditions, languages, habits, and livelihood specified to a particular. The way we dress, the way we rationalize, the way we tolerate others around us."

Whether or not we choose to dress, speak, and think as our people is what determines our participation in our culture.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by gst101: 12:04am On Jul 31, 2012
culture is the customes and the custumes, the characters and the characteristics, the manners and mannerisms, the orient and the orientation, the philosophy and the ideology of our people. Culture is the totality of the people's experiences. Culture is the way of life of the people. ---Amb Yusuf Maitama Sule.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Tolaaaaannni(f): 12:38am On Jul 31, 2012
Culture to me is identity.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Blyss: 12:49am On Jul 31, 2012
LOL @ these responses. Ironic. cheesy
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 1:03am On Aug 01, 2012
odumchi:

I'm not attempting to be more culturally minded than anyone. I think Ileke defined it best:

"Culture defines traditions, languages, habits, and livelihood specified to a particular. The way we dress, the way we rationalize, the way we tolerate others around us."

Whether or not we choose to dress, speak, and think as our people is what determines our participation in our culture.

The way we rationalize? the way we tolerate others around us? Are you suggesting that the high levels of racism in Africa is CULTURAL? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 1:05am On Aug 01, 2012
*Ileke-IdI:
To me, culture is both practical and technical.
Culture defines traditions, languages, habits, and livelihood specified to a particular. The way we dress, the way we rationalize, the way we tolerate others around us.

Sometimes we separate ourselves from our society to build our own identity, but our culture is still part of that identity.

As for me, I can speak my language, I can cook my food, I wear my cultural attires, and I identify with my people. No, I do not follow very tradition, and yes, I've built my own identity.
I am not affiliated with any Nigerian social group or cause. No, I do not want to be affiliated with any Nigerian group or cause.

I've began individualizing myself a few years ago. I'm less cultural than I was 5 years ago. I'm more open-minded about Non-Nigerian groups. I do not seek out any Nigerian affiliated groups. I select which cultural attributes I want to support. As long as I get support from the most important woman in my life (my mother), I do not need to fear social disapproval. Infact, I do not care for any Nigerian social approval. Infact, if i was scorned by any Nigerian social group right now, I'll jump for joy lmao.

Some people think going to a Nigerian event to sit through 4 hrs of boring lectures introduces and re-introduces them and their children to their culture. ROTFLMAO! At the end of the day, everybody goes back home to their American house, to cook with their American utensils, to eat their Americanized version of Nigerian food, to talk in their American english to their Americanized children, then to their American bed where they dream their American dream lmao.

So are these people still culturally Nigerians? Cause it seems Culture stops at the door for many of us, if we define it by the way we dress, eat, mannerisms, etc. Most folks don't wear their Aso Ebi when they are at home or at work. Matter of fact, that is majorly limited to cultural events and church, on thanksgiving days and what nots.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by antitpiah: 1:05am On Aug 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

The way we rationalize? the way we tolerate others around us? Are you suggesting that the high levels of racism in Africa is CULTURAL? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

There is racism in Africa?
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by odumchi: 1:06am On Aug 01, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I never in any way hinted to this.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 1:08am On Aug 01, 2012
gst101: culture is the customes and the custumes, the characters and the characteristics, the manners and mannerisms, the orient and the orientation, the philosophy and the ideology of our people. Culture is the totality of the people's experiences. Culture is the way of life of the people. ---Amb Yusuf Maitama Sule.

So, what culture would a Nigerian who can speak his language, and visits home(Nigerian) every year, but hangs out with Caucasians, eats western foods more than Nigerian foods, Loves his tee-shirt and baseball hats,dates foreigners, and brushes his teeth with a mechanized toothbrush? Is he non-cultural or less cultural or what? Would you consider him someone who has given up on his 'culture'? I am trying to understand how we define and measure this thing called culture?
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 1:08am On Aug 01, 2012
odumchi:

I never in any way hinted to this.

But that has to do with the way people rationalize and tolerate others.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Blyss: 2:56am On Aug 01, 2012
You people are confused. You seem to lack a genuine understanding of what you're culture is, and you call us lost. Humm, how ironic. cheesy
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by gst101: 7:23am On Aug 02, 2012
@kobojunkie if you take a good look at my def of culture and put it up against your reply to my post, you will come to see that you have deviated from your people's culture if your orientation, customs, custume, manners and mannerisms etc are not the same with that of your people. But i understand why you may be asking all these questions. We back home tend to see you abroad in a particular light when it comes to culture. But that you have taken on another orientation, manners and mannerisms, philosophy and ideology etc dosent mean you are a bad person although its good if you stay in touch with your root. Culture is shaped by experiences and your experience changes when you change location. So its ok if you take on another way of life.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Kobojunkie: 12:03pm On Aug 02, 2012
gst101: @kobojunkie if you take a good look at my def of culture and put it up against your reply to my post, you will come to see that you have deviated from your people's culture if your orientation, customs, custume, manners and mannerisms etc are not the same with that of your people. But i understand why you may be asking all these questions. We back home tend to see you abroad in a particular light when it comes to culture. But that you have taken on another orientation, manners and mannerisms, philosophy and ideology etc dosent mean you are a bad person although its good if you stay in touch with your root. Culture is shaped by experiences and your experience changes when you change location. So its ok if you take on another way of life.

Who are "we back home" you speak of? I hate to break it to you but millions of Nigerians back in Nigeria, some even in the many villages, fit the description I gave you there. They can speak their native language with no problem but that is usually where it stops for them. They probably wear their cultural attire on Sunday or when heading to the mosque, and maybe eat local food, not necessarily that from their particular ethnic group, and have friends who are probably like them. They are no much different from the Nigerians who are not "back home" in their choices to live their lives and not according to someone else's definition of culture. But here you are attempting to suggesting that they are LOST. Are you sure they are the lost ones?

Also, your definition is not concrete. You claim Culture is shaped by experiences yet you attempt in the beginning to tell me that I have deviated from my people's culture, leading me to ask you again, what culture? If culture is really shaped by experiences, and you really don't need to change locations for your experiences to change really, what makes you think we can make concrete statements on what culture is then?
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by MrsChima(f): 1:34pm On Aug 02, 2012
antitpiah:

There is racism in Africa?

Yes. For example....a Somalian monkey on this site suggested Bantu are beneath horn of Africa be ause of hair texture and skin tone. That is not racist to you?

Last time I took African history and geography....Somalians are African.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by MrsChima(f): 1:43pm On Aug 02, 2012
To think someone has to live a specific location or bornex by a specific parents to be considered cultural or tradition is asinine. I have seen many fresh of the plane Africans whom have rdpped their country only to later adopted white people culture.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by anonymous6(f): 2:02pm On Aug 02, 2012
It is your identity to a extent, the customs and traditions, foods, clothing, music, language that you share with another group 75% or 100% of the time. For me even though I was born and raised in America, I have some American mannerism that are inevitable but I understand the language(yoruba), cook the nigerian cuisines, know the history, customs and traditions, listen to the music plus other music(including movies), I wear the clothes in functions like weddings, and etc or sometimes in the house, but since I am in the western world I don't wear that 24/7. Also it can be what community you assimilate to for example even if you are not part of it by heritage(but they are not the majority).

It is basically what a group or community of people practice with each other that are similar in, like Indian culture, Jewish Culture, and etc. Your parents, location, what you assimilate to and etc molds that.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Recs(m): 2:58pm On Aug 02, 2012
Culture is simply morality in mind.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by zicobaba(m): 3:00pm On Aug 02, 2012
Tiv culture is to organise a beautiful daughter or wife for a visitor to f*u*c*k till the visitor decide to leave. From Tiv land Nigeria.
Re: What Is Culture To You? How Do You Define It? by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 02, 2012
Culture to me is a level of consciousness that's inborn in every individual in our subconscious minds. It's there in our subconscious minds - we just need the knowledge of self to discover it... Language and dressing are superficial cultures to me...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Learning Igbo Language Online? / African Gods: IGBO DEITIES / 30 Awesome Old People With Tattoos, How Will Your Tattoo Look (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.