Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Overheating – All You Need To Know - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Overheating – All You Need To Know (23047 Views)

Overheating Headache With Honda Accord 1997 Model / What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented / Help! My Car Is Overheating (Nissan Maxima 2000) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by kayswag100(m): 8:34am On Sep 18, 2014
BTT:

and

A dislodged/cut fan belt

This happened to me. An Altima 2006 2.5l

All warning lights on dash board came on and engine temperature rose to heaven

this caused coolant reservoir to start leaking too.

I burnt my while fingers trying to uncap radiator cover.

Thank God I fixed everything with just n1200

1 Like

Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by gbaskiboy: 8:39am On Sep 18, 2014
The last time it occurred to me was Radiator leakage. Omo mechanic takes me chop no be small as i be learnee
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by tutaboi(m): 8:57am On Sep 18, 2014
automedicsnig: Those who have experienced it (overheating) before will definitely tell you that it is one incident that they don’t pray to witness again.

OVERHEATING is one word that has been on the lips of many people, it doesn’t knock before sweeping right through and when it does come in, it can be very tricky to diagnose.

Now for the benefit of those who have not witnessed the scenario before, I will give a quick description of what overheating is.

Overheating is a condition in which your engines temperature rises to a very critical level, usually above the middle of the gauge and towards the red line.

It arises as a result of a problem in the cooling system.

In one of our previous write-ups, we discussed the job of the cooling system in the vehicle and why it is important to take proper care of it.

The issue of overheating is actually not a fault, it is a symptom and it is at this junction that many mechanics and DIY’s get it wrong because they always try to solve the symptom instead of looking for the fault.

There are a whole lot of things that can cause overheating but we will be treating only one in this article, other causes will be treated in subsequent articles.

The very first on the list of causes that i will be discussing will be low coolant.

In the cooling system article, I discussed about coolant and its importance.

It is the lifeblood of the cooling system as it is the one that absorbs the heat from the engine. In a case where you have insufficient coolant, then the efficiency of the system is reduced and when this happens heat absorption becomes low thereby leaving this heat to build up in the engine.

A low coolant level can be caused by a leak either external or internal or from outright carelessness, although the latter is not all that common.

An external leak in the cooling system will be found around areas like the water hoses, the water pump, a leak in the radiator, or can even come from a leak in the coolant reservoir.

Sometimes a bad radiator cap will also result in this because it can no longer hold pressure so the coolant will keep flowing freely into the reservoir.

An internal leak will be a little more difficult to diagnose because it’s something you cannot see and it could be coming from anywhere in the system.

One good way to know that you have a leak is when you have to top your coolant every day. The very tricky thing about a leak in the system (especially an external leak) is that you will not notice the leak.

This is because the leak will only occur when the system is under pressure (except it is a very big one) and this pressure will be achieved when the engine is hot and coolant like any other fluid will evaporate at that temperature.

So what you will have is a case where as the coolant is leaking out it is evaporating and this is what at times confuses most mechanics and DIYs. Now someone must be wondering –“if I need pressure to detect the leak and I can’t do it while the engine is hot, then what do I do?”

Its pretty simple –a cooling system pressure test.

Those who are conversant with the radio program would have heard this phrase a couple of times. It is an automotive test that involves pressurizing the cooling system to a certain pressure, so as to simulate a driving condition.

When this happens it becomes easy to detect whether there is a leak and where it is coming from.

Coolant leak is just one of the many causes of overheating and now you know that checking your coolant is very important. When next you have an issue of overheating, you can go ahead to perform the test on your vehicle.

Other causes will be treated in subsequent articles.

Nice one....pls I'm not trying to divert ur topic, but just that this issue has been disturbing me for a while now. I'm using Honda saloon car, when ever my car AC is on and I intend to take a sharp turn or say round and about my engine will go off but if the car AC is off I will make the turn freely without my car engine stoping.
Pls what could be the cause? Thanks
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by PAINGAIN: 9:16am On Sep 18, 2014
@op, thank u for this. I am presently going through this, my car overheats anytime I am on the highway/freeway. I have changed d water pump,did engineering on d top,changed d top gasket, had my radiator serviced, I have done basically everything but still d car still overheats. Sometimes water will flow from d radiator and fill up d reservoir. I am confused as to what else could be the cause. Any hints? Thanks in advance.
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by erico2k2(m): 9:19am On Sep 18, 2014
tutaboi:

Nice one....pls I'm not trying to divert ur topic, but just that this issue has been disturbing me for a while now. I'm using Honda saloon car, when ever my car AC is on and I intend to take a sharp turn or say round and about my engine will go off but if the car AC is off I will make the turn freely without my car engine stoping.
Pls what could be the cause? Thanks
Does it create a sharp squawky noise?, well also try this test, when your car is on and stationary turn your wheel to the extreme end in either direction see if your car goes off and come bck here to give result,.
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by erico2k2(m): 9:21am On Sep 18, 2014
PAINGAIN: @op, thank u for this. I am presently going through this, my car overheats anytime I am on the highway/freeway. I have changed d water pump,did engineering on d top,changed d top gasket, had my radiator serviced, I have done basically everything but still d car still overheats. Sometimes water will flow from d radiator and fill up d reservoir. I am confused as to what else could be the cause. Any hints? Thanks in advance.
What kinda cooling fan system do you have? fan driven or motor driven?
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by chuksmarvin(m): 9:28am On Sep 18, 2014
Op please I want or find out if there is difference between coolant fluid and water...
In the car I ve been driving for a while now...There is a small plastic case labelled coolant fluid which is connected to the radiator..
Can they be used interchangeably or what?
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by inze(m): 9:44am On Sep 18, 2014
PAINGAIN: @op, thank u for this. I am presently going through this, my car overheats anytime I am on the highway/freeway. I have changed d water pump,did engineering on d top,changed d top gasket, had my radiator serviced, I have done basically everything but still d car still overheats. Sometimes water will flow from d radiator and fill up d reservoir. I am confused as to what else could be the cause. Any hints? Thanks in advance.

Sometimes a bad radiator cap will also result in this because it can no longer hold pressure so the coolant will keep flowing freely into the reservoir.

The answer to your car's problem might have been discussed as above, kindly check on that.
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by tutaboi(m): 9:51am On Sep 18, 2014
erico2k2:
Does it create a sharp squawky noise?, well also try this test, when your car is on and stationary turn your wheel to the extreme end in either direction see if your car goes off and come bck here to give result,.

It doesn't make any noise at all, and if it's on both the AC stationary, I can turn it to extreme end without the engine going off
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by erico2k2(m): 10:03am On Sep 18, 2014
chuksmarvin: Op please I want or find out if there is difference between coolant fluid and water...
In the car I ve been driving for a while now...There is a small plastic case labelled coolant fluid which is connected to the radiator..
Can they be used interchangeably or what?
In 9ja terms it same thing that where yyou are meant to put your water, however in the west we just don't put water into the cooling system, there are coolant sold for diff seasons winter and summer, one has higher level of Anti freeze the other has the ability to slow the molecular heating of the fluid. So if you can get your hands on proper coolant for summer, that would be ideal for you car in Nigeria. or you can do 50-50

1 Like

Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by erico2k2(m): 10:05am On Sep 18, 2014
tutaboi:

It doesn't make any noise at all, and if it's on both the AC stationary, I can turn it to extreme end without the engine going off
Hmm ok, this is going to be difficult without physically seeing your veh. Well try inspect your belt and check your tensioner, I'm hoping too others would suggest something too.

1 Like

Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by Oskilala: 10:11am On Sep 18, 2014
Following
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by kajoula(m): 10:15am On Sep 18, 2014
tutaboi:

Repeat what ERIKO2k2 told you "when your car is on and stationary turn your wheel to the extreme end in either direction,observe if the engine speed increase/decrease in sound....

if it changes,then it might be ..

1. Your car AC Compressor might be a lil bit stiff .....( ie you need change it before it weakens your car engine )

2. check your compressor/engine tie belt.....(Maybe it needs re-positioning/tightening)

3. Though your car engine might be weak...

Hope you'll find this helpfull.
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by jonced(m): 10:33am On Sep 18, 2014
Thanks OP

Please where in Lagos can this pressure test be done (preferably around yaba) n how much does it generally cost.

Thanks
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by piagetskinner(m): 10:35am On Sep 18, 2014
nice one @OP. I have two questions that have been bothering me. My 2004 toyota camry always makes squeaky noise when I turn the steering,the car vibrates seriously when I put on the A/C,and when I put it off the vibration reduces by 70%...and just yesterday one of the fans stopped working and the temp rose to half on the temp scale....I drove it around town 4 an hour or so,and when I got home it took more than 2hours before it finally cooled...what solutions can u proffer?thanks
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by starlingbawa(m): 10:39am On Sep 18, 2014
Good Thread... I say 'THUMBS UP'.

Please, does anyone have an idea of the most effective coolant to use on 'Toyota Camry' 2001 model?

I had an issue with my water pump and subsequently lost the original coolant that came with the camry from America. Is it possible to get it here in Nigeria? what's the name of the coolant and where can one purchase it?

Any suggestions out there
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by jidowu84: 10:40am On Sep 18, 2014
I love learn auto medics
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by Giftedstan(m): 10:59am On Sep 18, 2014
From experience, test using anoda working(functioning) radiator and nt ur serviced one o... Like u said , have ur gasket changed wh was d solution 2ma ish then, check ur fan belt if weak. Ma 2cent
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by watchindelta(m): 11:06am On Sep 18, 2014
even lost of viscosity of oil can cause overheating.
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by DaBullIT(m): 11:33am On Sep 18, 2014
BTT:

and

A dislodged/cut fan belt

= fan stopped working. Could be electrical fault , dirt / mud , fan belt
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by DaBullIT(m): 11:38am On Sep 18, 2014
starlingbawa: Good Thread... I say 'THUMBS UP'.

Please, does anyone have an idea of the most effective coolant to use on 'Toyota Camry' 2001 model?

I had an issue with my water pump and subsequently lost the original coolant that came with the camry from America. Is it possible to get it here in Nigeria? what's the name of the coolant and where can one purchase it?

Any suggestions out there

I have a suggestion but please admin don't ban me o. A beg. I'm trying to help. OK ?

Your coolant's tank cover should have the name of preffered products if you can't find that in Lag .P.H or Abuja. Try myafricanstore. I purchased goods with them and it was delivered
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by DaBullIT(m): 11:40am On Sep 18, 2014
piagetskinner: nice one @OP. I have two questions that have been bothering me. My 2004 toyota camry always makes squeaky noise when I turn the steering,the car vibrates seriously when I put on the A/C,and when I put it off the vibration reduces by 70%...and just yesterday one of the fans stopped working and the temp rose to half on the temp scale....I drove it around town 4 an hour or so,and when I got home it took more than 2hours before it finally cooled...what solutions can u proffer?thanks

Check your steering oil , but if it sounds when you turn to limit look for another belt.

Your compressor is probably weak
Re: Overheating – All You Need To Know by DaBullIT(m): 11:43am On Sep 18, 2014

Alternatively look for a brand new double / triple celled radiator

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Six Areas To Check Before Buying A Used Vehicle / 2005 Nissan Altima Vs 2005 Toyota Camry / Advice On First Car To Buy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.