Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

What Exactly Is The Relevance/importance/function Of Our Monarchs? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Exactly Is The Relevance/importance/function Of Our Monarchs? (383 Views)

Caution Fayose - APC To Yoruba Monarchs / Adamawa's SSG, Umar Bindir's Phone Spotted At A Function (pic) / What Exactly Is Rochas Doing In Imo State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is The Relevance/importance/function Of Our Monarchs? by myads890(m): 4:56pm On Sep 18, 2014
I personally can't put a finger on it. Some might argue that they are there to preserve our culture and tradition but seriously, a museum can do better than that.

Recently in my area, Likosi/Labori Oloja in Sagamu Ogun state, I heard a story about how the GO of The Redeemed Christian Church of God offered to repair the main roads(the roads are terrible) out of his own pocket. He approached the Oba, baales and other elders only to be asked to pay N5m for only God know what.

Now, ill repeat my question. What exactly is the use of our Monarchs? I grew up in Lagos and recently moved to where I am now and I can honestly say that I've never seen any project by the Obas and co in the state. The only time you hear of them is when the Oba dies and they need heads for his burial. In 2014! Totally ludicruos!

I'm sure this is the same trend throughout the nation. Honestly, I believe that whatever it is they are there for, the governors, local chairmen etc should be able to fill and fulfill the purpose. Our traditional rulers never get involved in the development of the communities they live in and are basically being given long overdue respect.

Some might say we need to preserve our culture but what really makes it OUR culture when its obvious that these laws and practices all started at a time when they felt that those ways favoured THEM. Our generation really needs to sit down and decide what is best for US instead of giving room to old beliefs that are majorly tribalistic and have aided in dividing our nation.

What's your opinion? Do you think our monarchs are necessary?
Re: What Exactly Is The Relevance/importance/function Of Our Monarchs? by hertz9te(m): 4:58pm On Sep 18, 2014
funny question.......even heaven is still asking
Re: What Exactly Is The Relevance/importance/function Of Our Monarchs? by myads890(m): 5:03pm On Sep 18, 2014
hertz9te: funny question.......even heaven is still asking

Let me know when they've gotten an answer
Re: What Exactly Is The Relevance/importance/function Of Our Monarchs? by Lumyboi(m): 5:09pm On Sep 18, 2014
To collect money from govt and every company dt wants to invest in dia community ...den mari many wives

(1) (Reply)

You Can Now Advertise For Free At Globaldirects.com / Insurgency Tearing Nigeria Apart – Monarch / The So-called Abia Elders And Charlatanism - PROF. OKEY ECHENWA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.