Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,654 members, 7,809,478 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. (20922 Views)

‘asari Dokubo Was Arrested In South Africa In $9.3m #cashforarms Deal’ / Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor Opens Up On $9.3m Arms Deal / Oritsejafor Owns Seized Jet With $9. 3m In S / Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by ralphcrown1: 10:32am On Sep 20, 2014
South Africa has seized the $9.3 million Nigerian cash flown abroad a private jet into its capital, Johannesburg, from Abuja early this month. Two Nigerians and an Israeli were travelling with the plane’s crew at the time the cash, which was not declared, was found on the plane.South African security and Nigeria have launched an investigation into what transpired.The explanation from Nigeria that the money was meant for arms purchase for the Nigeria intelligence agencies, has been rejected by South Africa’s Asset Forfeiture Unit (AFU) and the National Prosecuting Authority of South Africa (NPA).The NPA, in a statement, according to online publication Premium Times, said the manner in which the money was brought into the country breached the laws that deal with the transfer of foreign exchange of such proportion.
“The money was initially detained by the South African Revenue Service (SARS) as it was not disclosed or declared at customs, and was above the prescribed legal limit for the amount of cash that may be brought into the country,” it said in a statement.
The NPA, according to the medium, said its investigation showed that Tier One Services Group, the firm the Nigerian government claimed it wanted to procure the arms from, is not authorised to sell or rent military hardware.
“In court papers, the NPA submitted evidence that Tier One is not registered with the National Conventional Arms Control Committee and is thus not authorised to enter into any agreements regarding the sale and/or rental of military equipment,” the statement read.
Tier One has apparently issued an invoice to a Cyprus based company, ESD International Group Ltd, ESD, in respect of the procurement of armaments and helicopters to be delivered to Nigeria.
However, South African investigators said the time when the invoice was prepared and the time the money was brought in threw up some serious issues of its true intent.
The money was ferried to South Africa less than a week from the date the invoice was prepared (September 8, 2014). The involvement of a Cyprus based company also heightens the suspicion that this may be a case of classical money laundering. Cyprus is known for its secretive banking system.
The NPA added that the transaction did not follow normal procedure in the procurement of the kind of equipment it was alleged to have been meant for.
The Senate yesterday summoned National Security Adviser (NSA) Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshall Alex Badeh and Chief of Army Staff Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah over the smuggled $9.3 million cash.
Chairman, Senate Committee on Defence, Senator George Sekibo, said those invited to appear before his committee on Tuesday would brief members on the incident.
He said: “ I don’t want to pre-empt issues because I have not heard details about the issue but they will be here on Tuesday.”
On the soldiers sentenced to death, Sekibo said he was not surprised that death sentence was passed on the 12 soldiers because before they joined military, they were aware of the implication of being involved in mutiny.
He added that before the judgment was passed, the army must have carried out their investigation on the matter.

source:http://www.ralphcrown.com/2014/09/south-african-court-okays-seizure-of.html

3 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Mynd44: 11:12am On Sep 20, 2014
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Mynd44: 11:14am On Sep 20, 2014
So now the Nigerian government is "laundering" money....just great

31 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by stevolinkon40: 11:18am On Sep 20, 2014
Thinking if I should comment or just book space here
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Neduzze5(m): 11:19am On Sep 20, 2014
angry
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 20, 2014
pls dnt book space....
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by datguru: 11:20am On Sep 20, 2014
I have said it before and I'm saying it again, forget say I dey support this Gej sef, this recent event is questionable. I think if those APC niggas on nairaland start pointing fingers to him as been part of BH, I will have to keep my mouth shut. Our Muslim brothers might as well say the christians know of BH because of the involvement of one of their prominent leaders, I will still shut up

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by oathman(m): 11:20am On Sep 20, 2014
They will just seize our money just like that....when most people in Nigeria is complaining about the level of poverty yet we have $9.3billion being seize in south africa...i hate this country

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by ayukdaboss(m): 11:20am On Sep 20, 2014
I'm not surprised one bit....As the Giants of Africa every country would want to run us down whether there's evidence or not. Even Ghana tries running us down at the slightest opportunity.

But this is a totally different case as the Otuoke Master and his cabal have finally displayed their brains full of dirt once more to the whole world just when the #BringBackOurJonathan sack of poo was almost getting forgotten.

The Federal Government should be really ashamed of this show of shame.

39 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by sibepoc(m): 11:21am On Sep 20, 2014
Make them give us our money oo. We no buy ammunition again

17 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by rattlesnake(m): 11:22am On Sep 20, 2014
Good luck to all u future voters

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by honeyad(m): 11:22am On Sep 20, 2014
Who will own the money now? See stupid talk...SA Una sha won run us down by force by fire .. I smell hatred!

1 Like

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Simpsonrocket(m): 11:22am On Sep 20, 2014
The Kingdom of God is liken unto three market women who went to the market to buy goods. The first went to the market and bought all her goods and return to the bus-stop where the bus will pick her. The second went likewise and on getting to the seller, she started gossiping and discussing earthly matters. While the third went also and bought her goods, and on getting to the bustop, she remembered that she had forgotten to buy some other goods, so she went back to the market. Finally the bus arrived and pick up the first market woman, but the other market women were left behind. Will you be ready and well prepared when Jesus comes back? How have you been preparing for eternity?

36 Likes 6 Shares

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by sage2(m): 11:23am On Sep 20, 2014
Yeye dey smell
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by xp17(m): 11:23am On Sep 20, 2014
woe to that nation whose king is a baby
Ecclesiastes 10:16

how does this stops Durella from seeing Goldie in his dreams?

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by gift01: 11:24am On Sep 20, 2014
After una don waste nearly 100 SouthAfricans, una wan collect una money. Who send una message. Oya Na swap deal: Nigeria- #bringbackourpeople vs SouthAfrica- #bringbackourmoney

4 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by gift01: 11:25am On Sep 20, 2014
honeyad: Who will own the money now? See stupid talk...SA Una sha won run us down by force by fire .. I smell hatred!
when a nation is too big for nothing, this is what happens. The only greatness we can claim is Population size

20 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 20, 2014
#bringbackourmoney

1 Like

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by olumuyiolaoluwa: 11:25am On Sep 20, 2014
Hmm,They have the Western backing. Jus saying oo This is enough slap to revive AJAOKUTA STEEL.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by ginajet(f): 11:25am On Sep 20, 2014
naija I hail thee my mother land
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by henrinity(m): 11:25am On Sep 20, 2014
ok.heard
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by aktolly54(m): 11:25am On Sep 20, 2014
$9.3m cash?I can't imagine how i will feel if i see such cash....RAW CA$H

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by OkaiCorne(m): 11:26am On Sep 20, 2014
Space booked
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Gombs(m): 11:26am On Sep 20, 2014
Well then...if they don't wanna accept our explanation, we have one choice and that is use our diplomatic strength. Cash for arms deal by most government is done, wonder why this one is blown out of proportion, I think it's because Oritsejafor is a pastor and PDP is the government.

2 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by Ksslib(m): 11:26am On Sep 20, 2014
Buoyantic: #bringbackourmoney
our?
If dem release am e go reach we mouth?

4 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by 3rdeye1(m): 11:26am On Sep 20, 2014
Pls let them hold on to it! If it is returned, it will sure go into some alien account and nothing will heard of it. It is so bad that we have come to this level of 'dashing' out money to other countries in the face of abject poverty in our land. God bless Nigeria! Btw...have u noticed that our legislators can summon a dead person?

6 Likes

Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by gift01: 11:27am On Sep 20, 2014
aktolly54: $9.3m cash?I can't imagine how i will feel if i see such cash....RAW CA$H
You will surely slump. Won't be surprised if you don't wake up again but I'd rather have it in bonds, precious metals or other sensible means.
Re: South African Court Okays Seizure Of Nigeria’s $9.3m. by ObiOkpor(m): 11:27am On Sep 20, 2014
My country is a big SHAME to the world.
#SMH# cry

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Sucked Aged Woman's Breast To Celebrate Mother's Day / 9 Little Things That Ruin Our Mood Every Damn Time / IQ Test: How Many Triangles Can You Find?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.