Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,235 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals (2153 Views)

2015 Election Shift May Return Military Rule - Ex-Generals / Court Orders Army To Suspend Execution On Convicted Soldiers / NORTH Vs GEJ: Ex-Generals, Tinubu, Others Plot Against GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by dont8(m): 1:01am On Sep 21, 2014

The Convicted Soldiers

ome retired senior military officers have backed the death sentence passed on 12 soldiers of the Nigerian Army for committing mutiny.

The officers told SUNDAY PUNCH that it was necessary for the military to maintain its age-long rules on discipline.

The soldiers were court-martialled for a variety of offences, including firing shots at the General Officer Commanding, 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Ahmed Mohammed, in Maiduguri, Borno State.

The military court, which convicted the soldiers in Abuja, found 13 out of the 18 soldiers guilty of mutiny, criminal conspiracy, attempted murder (shooting at the vehicle of the GOC); insubordination and false accusation.

Twelve of the convicted soldiers were sentenced to death, five were discharged and acquitted, while the remaining one was jailed for 28 days with hard labour.

Those sentenced to death were Jasper Braidolor, David Musa, Friday Onuh, Yusuf Shuaibu, Igonmu Emmanuel, Andrew Ugbede, Nurudeen Ahmed, Ifeanyi Alukagba, Alao Samuel, Amadi Chukwuma, Alan Linus, and Stephen Clement.

In the aftermath of the conviction, some prominent Nigerians and pressure groups have urged the military not to carry out the sentences.

But the retired senior military officers who spoke to our correspondents hailed the judgment and said it would have to be carried out.

A former Commandant of the Nigerian Army School of Infantry, Brig.-Gen. Williams Obene (retd.), said, “I commend the boldness of the Army authorities to follow the terms and conditions of service – the extant laws that established the armed forces, particularly the Army– and for trying to uphold discipline at the highest level.

“When politicians and highly influential Nigerians interfere in the daily administration of the military, things become difficult. That situation is very prevalent under democracy.”

Also, a former Adjutant-General of the Nigerian Army, Major General David Jemibewon (retd.), said the court martial must have considered available evidence and circumstances before reaching its decision on the soldiers.

Jemibewon who is a former Minister of Police Affairs said, “The military does not operate on sentiments or on people expressing either sympathy or lack of sympathy. Most of the things (we do) in the military are based on laws. It is difficult for me to align with people calling for clemency or pardon.

“The court martial has the facts and they have now come to conclusion after allowing evidence.”

In the same vein, retired Colonel Anthony Nyiam also hailed the judgment. Nyiam, was one of those sentenced to death by the regime of former head of state, Ibrahim Babangida, said, “As a soldier, and respecter of the law and tradition, the worst thing a soldier can do is to mutiny. And the penalty, as the law says, should be served. If you interrupt the traditions of the military, you’re interfering with the foundations.”

Similarly, a former military administrator of Bauchi and Osun states, Col. Theophilus Bamigboye (retd.), backed the sentence, adding that it was in line with military rules and regulations.

He said, “The court has followed the laid down procedure and military etiquette. They (the court) must have looked at the entire situations before arriving at the sentence.

“We have our own laws and so many things regulating our conduct in the military. I will not want anybody to die but we are talking of military procedure, which has to be followed.”

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has said it is waiting for the approval of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Kenneth Minimah, on the death sentence given to the soldiers.

In an interview with one of our correspondents, the Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Olajide Laleye, insisted that the military must handle its matters in line with stipulated procedures even in the face of contrary public opinion.

He said, “The issues are these: was an offence committed; did the military follow due process in prosecuting those involved in the offence; were the cases duly prosecuted in a court of law recognised by the law?

“The Army followed standard military procedures, set up a court that is recognised by the laws of the country and carried out the trial in line with the procedures of the military.

“But why are people even jumping the gun. The judgment is still awaiting confirmation by the Chief of Army Staff.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/convicted-soldiers-deserve-to-die-ex-generals/
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by dont8(m): 1:03am On Sep 21, 2014
It's unfortunate this guys let their emotions get the better of them, I pray they get pardoned soonest and be given jail term in place.
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by LordMecuzy(m): 1:08am On Sep 21, 2014
Really Sad.

Mutiny is a Serious Offence in the Army Tradition

1 Like

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by dont8(m): 1:10am On Sep 21, 2014
You're right, they should have known better in what they were getting themselves into.
LordMecuzy: Really Sad.

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by Nobody: 1:16am On Sep 21, 2014
The Law Must be served!!! Mutiny is a serious offence... God bless the Military
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by nairalife2013(m): 1:32am On Sep 21, 2014
If they are guilty and they are pardoned, it will affect d military foundations. Mutiny? Were they insane? They had already decided to die for sure. Fire a gun at an officer? a GOC for dat matter? Well I don't want any1 to die but dis is military not boys'scout. They should hav known better. Freeing dem will set an antecedent, datz d established theory and fear dat wil ensure they go six feet down. God be wid dem. They used their own hands to make their own wives and kids widows and the fatherless, not even in battlefield warfront! but wid their own leader. Oh insurbodination where is thy pride? Oh death where is thy sting?
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by dont8(m): 1:35am On Sep 21, 2014
It is, but considering what their agitations was, I think their sentence should be lessen. I can't imagine those guys be shot dead and their pictures pasted here in Nairaland as ''Last known Pictures Of Famous Dead People''.
barcanista: The Law Must be served to the latter!!! Mutiny is a serious offence... God bless the Military
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by dont8(m): 1:38am On Sep 21, 2014
What if the sentence is turn to, say life imprisonment and they get pardon later considering they were protesting for what is genuine, their welfare?
nairalife2013: If they are guilty and they are pardoned, it will affect d military foundations. Mutiny? Were they insane? They had already decided to die for sure. Fire a gun at an officer? a GOC for dat matter? Well I don't want any1 to die but dis is military not boys'scout. They should hav known better. Freeing dem will set an antecedent, datz d established theory and fear dat wil ensure they go six feet down. God be wid dem. They used their own hands to make their own wives and kids widows and the fatherless, not even in battlefield warfront! but wid their own leader. Oh insurbodination where is thy pride? Oh death where is thy sting?
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by nairalife2013(m): 1:47am On Sep 21, 2014
dont8: What if the sentence is turn to, say life imprisonment and they get pardon later considering they were protesting for what is genuine, their welfare?
it was established by creditable witnesses, backed by hard evidence, dat they fired shots at d GOC and his Car. Datz enoff, no matter d motif.
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by sheniqua: 2:41am On Sep 21, 2014
Southerners and Christians rebelled against a Muslim General working in cahoots with boko haram and they are now sentenced to die

3 Likes

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by Honadeadek(m): 3:35am On Sep 21, 2014
God be with their Souls
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by tit(f): 4:16am On Sep 21, 2014
I do not know what "rules of evidence" the military uses.
I read in daily Trust (?) some details of the trial.
The prosecution is so sorry, they did not even attempt to prove their case of mutiny.

1)The GOC had no gunshot wounds to evidence that 20 of his trained marksmen tried to gun him down.
(Did he train them so badly they could not hit the target at stone throw distance?)
2) The GOC's vehicle had no bullet holes. .
(Did Mr. GOC Mohammed train his men so badly they could not hit an elephant across a room? Or where they not shooting at him?)
The car was not even brought before the tribunal as evidence
The Judges should have dismissed the case if Mr GOC Mohammed had no bullet wounds (maybe him get juju) and his car had no bullet holes.
We like to think of the Army as a unit, but even they have disagreements among themselves.

3)Soldiers and policemen have been known to shoot their guns in celebration and on other occasions. the shootings at the barracks should not be misconstrued as attempt to kill mr GOC!
He should not take it too personal that his orders were not understood by these men who were affected by the fog of war!

Maybe the trial officers are taking the drugs we expect them to give to the boys so they can face boko haram without fear or favor but if this case is appealed and gets before a competent civilian court, the judgement will be thrown into the dust-bin where it belongs.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by dont8(m): 5:40am On Sep 21, 2014
I get you but, there are many questions to be asked and Tit has done justice to that below, can you answer any?
nairalife2013: it was established by creditable witnesses, backed by hard evidence, dat they fired shots at d GOC and his Car. Datz enoff, no matter d motif.

Good questions raised, God bless you for this.
tit: I do not know what "rules of evidence" the military uses.
The prosecution is so sorry, they did not even attempt to prove their case of mutiny.

This might be the reason the Genaral was fired.
1)The GOC had no gunshot wounds to evidence that 20 of his trained marksmen tried to gun him down.
(Did he train them so badly they could not hit the target at stone throw distance?)

1 Like

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by asadike(f): 5:50am On Sep 21, 2014
Gej,abeg tender justice wit mercy.

3 Likes

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by Exjoker(m): 6:02am On Sep 21, 2014
I have always said that the military is no place for coward. Desertin or abandonin ur duty post nd putin ur collegues nd the civilians at risk is like commit a murder esp in a situation like the one we re in...
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by BlackTechnology: 6:14am On Sep 21, 2014
Kill those soldiers and Nigeria will see the worst forms of desertion and cowardice

In short our soldiers will start acting like police men

3 Likes

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by Exjoker(m): 6:15am On Sep 21, 2014
tit: I do not know what "rules of evidence" the military uses.

2) The GOC's vehicle had no bullet holes. .
(Did Mr. GOC Mohammed train his men so badly they could not hit an elephant across a room? Or where they not shooting at him?)
The car was not even brought before the tribunal as evidence
The Judges should have dismissed the case if Mr GOC Mohammed had no bullet wounds (maybe him get juju) and his car had no bullet holes.
We like to think of the Army as a unit, but even they have disagreements among themselves.

3)Soldiers and policemen have been known to shoot their guns in celebration and on other occasions. the shootings at the barracks should not be misconstrued as attempt to kill mr GOC!
He should not take it too personal that his orders were not understood by these men who were affected by the fog of war!

Maybe the trial officers are taking the drugs we expect them to give to the boys so they can face boko haram without fear or favor but if t:his case is appealed and gets before a competent civilian court, the judgement will be thrown into the dust-bin where it belongs.
My friend uncle who is now receivin treatment from a gunshot wound(battle wound) nd who was also present at the barack on the incident day told us that they actually fired at the GOCs car. Buh he said they didnt intend to kill him knowin well that his car is armoured(bullet proof) buh to show him there anger
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by fr3do(m): 6:17am On Sep 21, 2014
Think you can just join the military and do any how?
Being in the military comes with some responsibilities.

It is funny sha, hardly have any soldier been court martialed for maltreating a civilian, ogas at the top are protecting themselves.
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by mabeni(m): 6:25am On Sep 21, 2014
LordMecuzy: Really Sad.

which one is MUTINY now; Can somebody explain it better?
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by Nobody: 6:25am On Sep 21, 2014
Mutiny in the world over alway's attract's the death penalty. I think if the judgement is carried out it will go along way in maintaining army descipline. God forbid just imagine soldier's abadon their duty post or refuse to take order's when bh are trying to take a place like maiduguri. They would have delibrately put more than 2million civilian's at the mercy of bokoharam due to their indescipline.
But In recent times the army has been hit by lot's of controversie's and by executing this soldie'r's it would cause a lot of uproar. And even considering the fact that their commanding officer was left to go scot free even when it was glaring that he was the cause of the mutiny. I think the death sentence should just be commuted to lengthy jail term's in other to deter other's from following the part of these mutineer's.

1 Like

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by tit(f): 6:54am On Sep 21, 2014
What is the evidence they "mutined"?
So each time soldiers say "Oga, we no gree", it is mutiny?
Bullet proof cars have bullet mark.
We all saw Buhari's bomb proof car with scars to show projectile hit it.
The prosecution's inability to present the car as evidence flaws their presentation.
Photographs are not admissible in a capital case. When photographs are to be accepted, they have to be taken with film roll cameras. Digital video evidence is a no-no.Digital photographs can be easily doctored for an unsuspecting audience. the "military intelligence" judge erred t have admitted photographs and hearsay from the GOC, LT col emmanuel and the RSM who could not backup their verbal accounts with any hard evidence.

How can you say they "mutined" when you cannot even prove conspiracy?
These guys work for us civilians, we should not let them descend to depravity!
We should hold them to a higher standard of conduct and accountability.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by Ayomi088(m): 7:08am On Sep 21, 2014
I hope they get pardoned sha
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by nairalife2013(m): 7:10am On Sep 21, 2014
dont8: I get you but, there are many questions to be asked and Tit has done justice to that below, can you answer any?

Good questions raised, God bless you for this.

This might be the reason the Genaral was fired.
well dont8, to be sincere, I am not sure d hard evidence witness story came from credible sources. I only got it from a colleague at tea break recess time at my work place. I catch ya point. Thanks for yur ardent follow up. U must be a good man. I hereby giv up on d issué for those Well-informd to comment, lest I contribute(God 4bid) indirectly to d spillage of innocent blood.

1 Like

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by Nobody: 7:21am On Sep 21, 2014
And when are they going to court marshall all the coupists?

All coupists committed treason, an offence far more than mutiny

1 Like

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by dont8(m): 7:24am On Sep 21, 2014
As it's said, ''It is not good to punish the innocent or to beat leaders for being honest''. Thanks too for the meaningful contributions and have yourself a pleasant Sunday ahead.
nairalife2013: well dont8, to be sincere, I am not sure d hard evidence witness story came from credible sources. I only got it from a colleague at tea break recess time at my work place. I catch ya point. Thanks for yur ardent follow up. U must be a good man. I hereby giv up on d issué for those Well-informd to comment, lest I contribute(God 4bid) indirectly to d spillage of innocent blood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by donphilopus: 7:25am On Sep 21, 2014
sheniqua: Southerners and Christians rebelled against a Muslim General working in cahoots with boko haram and they are now sentenced to die

Pathetic!

Those sentenced to death were Jasper Braidolor, David
Musa, Friday Onuh, Yusuf Shuaibu, Igonmu Emmanuel,
Andrew Ugbede, Nubrudeen Ahmed, Ifeanyi Alukagba, Alao
Samuel, Amadi Chukwuma, Alan Linus, and Stephen
Clement.

I guess those names in bold are also Southern Christians?!

1 Like

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by ebucha: 7:25am On Sep 21, 2014
Christian and southern soldiers uncover plots by muslim general to betray them to bokoharam, they were sentenced to death.little wonder it takes the grace of God for a christain to make it through the Nigerian Defence Academy while muslims plan and protect themselves through. During muslim fasting NDA is usually peacefull, but during christain fasting before easter NDA is usually on fire(shake up). Well ......
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by GowonAbacha: 7:32am On Sep 21, 2014
mabeni: which one is MUTINY now; Can somebody explain it better?
Usually in the military, refusing to obey military commands and neglecting your call of duty..

1 Like

Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by GowonAbacha: 7:40am On Sep 21, 2014
barcanista: The Law Must be served to the latter!!! Mutiny is a serious offence... God bless the Military
I can't really blame these people sha..they have a life to live and they can't imagine being butchered by an islamic sect. Its not even like the government will take care of their families after their death. Many of them are poorly equiped and yet, still sent into the war front. They had no choice but to think twice. Some military officials once said it, "give us good weapons and we'll fight boko haram with our whole heart".
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 21, 2014
GowonAbacha:
I can't really blame these people sha..they have a life to live and they can't imagine being butchered by an islamic sect. Its not even like the government will take care of their families after their death. Many of them are poorly equiped and yet, still sent into the war front. They had no choice but to think twice. Some military officials once said it, "give us good weapons and we'll fight boko haram with our whole heart".
we are talking of mutiny here and not AWOL..
Re: Convicted Soldiers Deserve To Die — Ex-generals by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 21, 2014
Easier to say,when you aren't at the receiving end.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Let’s Break Down This Presidential Election Into Simple Mathematics. / FG Approves Nine(9) New Private Universities / How Buhari Became A Nigerian Army Officer Cadet And Not Amere Recruit In 1961

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.