Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,533 members, 7,826,994 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility (1247 Views)

Anxiety Grips PDP Chieftains Over Buhari’s Extradition Plan / Nigerians Want Supreme Court To Be Scrapped / El-Rufai, Buhari & Other APC Chieftains Laughing (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Sirniyeh(m): 7:52am On Sep 21, 2014
2015: PDP Chieftain Wants Supreme Court To Determine Jonathan’s Eligibility

A former gubernatorial candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Adamawa State, Dr Umar Ardo has, once again, stressed the need for the supreme court to, once and for all, determine the eligibility of President Goodluck Jonathan to contest for another 4-year term in 2015.

The PDP chieftain, who stated this in an open letter addressed to the chairman of the party, Alhaji Ahmadu Adamu Mu’azu, insisted that he is ready to go to the court of appeal on the issue.

Ardo said that is the only way to ensure smooth operation of Nigeria, avoid lawlessness, political crises, social anarchy, and guarantee the country’s democracy and wellbeing.

According to him if the president contests and wins the 2015 presidential elections, or at any other time later, he will exceed the cumulative tenure of 8 years maximum period as interpreted by the supreme court.

Ardo cited four judgments of the supreme court: INEC Vs Boni Haruna, Peter Obi Vs Chris Ngige, Ladoja Vs INEC and INEC Vs 5 PDP Governors to support his argument.

He said, “This argument is premised on the fact that what constitutionally applies to the governor on the issue of eligibility or otherwise to contest elections is ipso facto applicable to the president.

“In those judgments, the apex court had established the relationship between the governor and his deputy on the issue of succession (Boni Haruna); determined the holding of office in a term at four years (Peter Obi); affirmed that a governor can stay less but not more than four years in a term (Ladoja).

#‎LEADERSHIP‬

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Sirniyeh(m): 7:56am On Sep 21, 2014
Under the federal constitution of Nigeria, no one under any circumstances should be sworn-in three times into presidential and governor seats. If president wins 2015, he would be sworn-in third time which is not constitutional

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 21, 2014
I know this will come up. It is just a matter of time before cases arguing against Jonathan's eligibility floors the APpeal and Supreme Courts. Truly, a person can not spend more than 8 years in office of Governor/President. Jonathan was sworn-in as substantive President on May 6, 2010. However, he will argue that the SC ruling on Peter Obi and others was premise on the fact that they stood as Gov candidates in both elections, unlike him that only stood for one. The argument will be countered that Boni Haruna was vice to Atiku in 1998, he only contested as guber candidate in 2003.

One thing is certain, there will be another constitutional amendment after the Court's ruling

Let the Legal battle Begin!!!

2 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by egift(m): 8:17am On Sep 21, 2014
Jonathan is not eligible to even start with. He is just buying and muscling his way with the National Purse. God will help Nigerians defeat Jonathan before he polish this country with corruption to a point of irredeemable.

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Sirniyeh(m): 8:35am On Sep 21, 2014
Gbam! Well said.

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by tinkinjow: 8:41am On Sep 21, 2014
And Nigerians as usual will waste their time debating this till Gej is sworn in by 2015. Keep wasting una time that all I came in here to say.
I'm out!

4 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Rawani: 8:42am On Sep 21, 2014
I want those PDP chieftains to follow up closely on this case. We have been surreptitiously hood-winked to accept that Jonathan is eligible for the next elections, forgetting it's an issue that was left in murky waters. Nice analysis barcanista.

3 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Nobody: 8:58am On Sep 21, 2014
Rawani: I want those PDP chieftains to follow up closely on this case. We have been surreptitiously hood-winked to accept that Jonathan is eligible for the next elections, forgetting it's an issue that was left in murky waters. Nice analysis barcanista.
One Mr. Shuaibu Lili and another person once instituted a Suit in a Federal High Court Kaduna against Jonathan's 2015 eligibility, the Court struck out the case on the ground that the 1st defendant(Jonathan) has not declared yet. Howver, such will not be the case should Jonathan officially declare his intention. though the Court ruled that Jonathan enjoys immunity, the immunity is for criminal and civil case and not electoral. Jonathan is only buying time, once he declares...legal war will commence.

2 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by ISpiksDaTroof: 9:06am On Sep 21, 2014
bloodyklller: the fear of Gej landslide victory is the begining of wisdom.
keep whining while gej keeps planing his wining formular.
all you all can do is to
Go and die

tinkinjow: And Nigerians as usual will waste their time debating this till Gej is sworn in by 2015. Keep wasting una time that all I came in here to say.
I'm out!

You think?

Oh, because you assume nobody in PDP will wake up on the eve of the election and decide they can do a better job thereby plunging the party into disarray. You just relax and keep watching the movie going on.

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Sirniyeh(m): 9:12am On Sep 21, 2014
barcanista: One Mr. Shuaibu Lili and another person once instituted a Suit in a Federal High Court Kaduna against Jonathan's 2015 eligibility, the Court struck out the case on the ground that the 1st defendant(Jonathan) has not declared yet. Howver, such will not be the case should Jonathan officially declare his intention. though the Court ruled that Jonathan enjoys immunity, the immunity is for criminal and civil case and not electoral. Jonathan is only buying time, once he declares...legal war will commence.
Barca Man, I enjoy your analysis. Ride on

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Rawani: 9:13am On Sep 21, 2014
barcanista: One Mr. Shuaibu Lili and another person once instituted a Suit in a Federal High Court Kaduna against Jonathan's 2015 eligibility, the Court struck out the case on the ground that the 1st defendant(Jonathan) has not declared yet. Howver, such will not be the case should Jonathan officially declare his intention. though the Court ruled that Jonathan enjoys immunity, the immunity is for criminal and civil case and not electoral. Jonathan is only buying time, once he declares...legal war will commence.

Yeah, and thats the reason it's possible he is delberately _pussy-footing around expressly making his declaration. As it is now, his candidacy is implied, and is technically admissible by INEC as he is his party's sole candidate. Pressure should therefore be put on him to expressly declare his candidacy for the next general elections in order to block the legal loophole.

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by CyberWolf: 10:08am On Sep 21, 2014
All this APC goons are clowns I swear cheesy cheesy cheesy..If he is not eligible constitutionally, why wait for PDP to challenge him?..Why not head to court straight? ...sore loosers grin grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Rad1cal: 10:15am On Sep 21, 2014
CyberWolf: All this APC goons are clowns I swear cheesy cheesy cheesy..If he is not eligible constitutionally, why wait for PDP to challenge him?..Why not head to court straight? ...sore loosers grin grin cheesy

Dont mind those clowns . The fear of GEJ is the beginning of afraid grin

2 Likes

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Sirniyeh(m): 12:47pm On Sep 21, 2014
Rad1cal:

Dont mind those clowns . The fear of GEJ is the beginning of afraid grin

by your posts we know people like you. The CowBell milk you were fed with is intoxicating your oblangata

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Rad1cal: 1:46pm On Sep 21, 2014
Sirniyeh:

by your posts we know people like you. The CowBell milk you were fed with is intoxicating your oblangata

Your kunu dead brain is affecting you.

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 21, 2014
The brave and mighty are afraid of the "clueless" and "kindergarten"! If this is how the clueless and kindergarten succeed in life, God please make me one. What IBB, Atiku, Ekwueme, Etc sweated to have but could not get, this man gets on a platter. Rose from deputy governor to become Governor. Then from Governor to VP. As if that was not enough, he was promoted to President to complete Yardua's tenor. Still as if not enough, like little known David, he defeated well known great Nigerian political Goliaths - GMB, Ciroma and co. Then got a full four years term. Still not enough PDP BOT and Governors endorsed and adopted him for another four years as their sole candidate without a primary. I won't be surprised if God is already making room for him on higher ground after 2019.

God please, give me such 'cluelessness' but make me the Head over all the 'clueful', the 'wise', the 'intellects', so that they would continue to wish they were in my position! Please, let the same grace upon this man be upon me and my family.

As a Christian I am told that the grace / virtue you do not respect does to benefit you. With the little I have seen about GEJ's rise to prominence from a humble "shoeless" (obscurity) beginning, I am sure that the same grace would be of great benefit to me.

GEJ TILL 2019!!! FELLOW NIGERIANS PLEASE, LEARN TO APPRECIATE GOD'S GRACE!

1 Like

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:18am On Sep 22, 2014
barcanista: I know this will come up. It is just a matter of time before cases arguing against Jonathan's eligibility floors the APpeal and Supreme Courts. Truly, a person can not spend more than 8 years in office of Governor/President. Jonathan was sworn-in as substantive President on May 6, 2010. However, he will argue that the SC ruling on Peter Obi and others was premise on the fact that they stood as Gov candidates in both elections, unlike him that only stood for one. The argument will be countered that Boni Haruna was vice to Atiku in 1998, he only contested as guber candidate in 2003.

One thing is certain, there will be another constitutional amendment after the Court's ruling

Let the Legal battle Begin!!!

You forgot to state that Boni Haruna was sworn in for 2 tenures if 4 years each.
Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Sirniyeh(m): 6:12am On Sep 22, 2014
Xetima: The brave and mighty are afraid of the "clueless" and "kindergarten"! If this is how the clueless and kindergarten succeed in life, God please make me one. What IBB, Atiku, Ekwueme, Etc sweated to have but could not get, this man gets on a platter. Rose from deputy governor to become Governor. Then from Governor to VP. As if that was not enough, he was promoted to President to complete Yardua's tenor. Still as if not enough, like little known David, he defeated well known great Nigerian political Goliaths - GMB, Ciroma and co. Then got a full four years term. Still not enough PDP BOT and Governors endorsed and adopted him for another four years as their sole candidate without a primary. I won't be surprised if God is already making room for him on higher ground after 2019.

God please, give me such 'cluelessness' but make me the Head over all the 'clueful', the 'wise', the 'intellects', so that they would continue to wish they were in my position! Please, let the same grace upon this man be upon me and my family.

As a Christian I am told that the grace / virtue you do not respect does to benefit you. With the little I have seen about GEJ's rise to prominence from a humble "shoeless" (obscurity) beginning, I am sure that the same grace would be of great benefit to me.

dont be deceived! Nebuchadinesarr received such grace as king but you as christians know what eventually happened to him. Truly gej has same unprecedented grace but he has misused it like Nebbuchadinessarr. He should rather use that same grace to a betteradvantage of submission to the will of common man. Obstinacy turned nebbuchaddinessar's life a regret. Gej should learn from it because a struggle beyond 2015 could lead to ridicule. The grace ends 2015
Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Nobody: 6:36am On Sep 22, 2014
Sunnybobo3:

You forgot to state that Boni Haruna was sworn in for 2 tenures if 4 years each.
in the case btw Rasheed Ladoja Vs Inec/pdp, Ladoja argued that he was illegally impeached for 11months and he prayed the Court to rule that his tenure as Governor is not expiring May 29, 2007 but April 2008 so as to enable him complete his constitutionally required 4years. The SC ruled that the 4year term was a joint term between Him and his Deputy, Otunba Alao Akala. And that the term was still valid since Akala was at the helm of Affairs, and there was no room to grant his prayers. His case was struck out!!!!! That ruling also applied to Mr. Peter Obi of Anambra State during his first term in office.
Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 22, 2014
Xetima: The brave and mighty are afraid of the "clueless" and "kindergarten"! If this is how the clueless and kindergarten succeed in life, God please make me one. What IBB, Atiku, Ekwueme, Etc sweated to have but could not get, this man gets on a platter. Rose from deputy governor to become Governor. Then from Governor to VP. As if that was not enough, he was promoted to President to complete Yardua's tenor. Still as if not enough, like little known David, he defeated well known great Nigerian political Goliaths - GMB, Ciroma and co. Then got a full four years term. Still not enough PDP BOT and Governors endorsed and adopted him for another four years as their sole candidate without a primary. I won't be surprised if God is already making room for him on higher ground after 2019.

Point of correction, there is nothing like "helping a late/impeached President or Governor to complete his term". Such is alien to the Constitution.
2. Jonathan is following the footstep of King Saul. They both had similar story, from obscurity to prominence. Like Jonathan failed to heed the aspiration of the people and the promises he made, Saul also failed to meet the promises he made to God and his people. He even patronised a witch/witches. You know what hapened next? Saul's kingdom was taken away from him and given to someone he hates-David. For Jonathan, the Presidency will be taken away from him and the MAN he hates Politically and has always blackmailed-Buhari will be given the Presidency come 2015!!!!! grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PDP Chieftains Want Supreme Court Determine GEL Eligibility by Mogidi: 8:02am On Sep 22, 2014
This joke is real, what the APC can't get through the ballot box they intend getting through courts/terrorism, another DOA plan.

PDP are preparing vigorously for 2015 election, APC are hoping the courts/boko haram would deliver Aso rock, bunch of losers.

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Police Force Is Improving. / A Honest Description Of Some APC Cheiftains / Abeg This Osibanjo And Buari Kolagbo, How Una See Am?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.