Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,900 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:40 PM

Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters (2140 Views)

Photos: Fashola Meets With SA Govt Officials, Approves Repatriation Of Dead Sout / Soyinka Denounces Jonathan Support Group Over Fabricated Report / Jonathan’s Support Groups Now 8,000 – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:07am On Sep 21, 2014
LAGOS (Reuters) - Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan offered condolences to a popular preacher on a visit on Saturday to a church guesthouse that collapsed a week ago, killing at least 80 people.

His support for popular preacher TB Joshua could widen a diplomatic rift with South Africa, which has expressed dismay at the Nigerians' reluctance to criticise the church for what looks like shoddy construction work.

South Africa has called for an investigation into the collapse, in which it says 84 South Africans, comprising three church groups that were on tour and staying in the guest house, died. The Nigerian emergency services put the confirmed death toll at 80.

Joshua and his supporters say the collapse was an "attack" somehow linked to a mysterious aircraft they claim flew over the building before it went down.

"My coming here is to express condolences to Prophet Joshua, the Synagogue of all Nations (his church) and of course the bereaved families," Jonathan said.

T.B. Joshua's church draws thousands of followers from all over Africa and many other parts of the world, attracted by claims that he and his "wise men" can cure almost any affliction by "casting out demons" they say are responsible for everything from madness to HIV/AIDS to normally irreparable spine damage.

The regular influx of visitors from abroad for church services that can last up to a week creates demand for accommodation that the church's own guest house has been unable to meet, and often spills over into local hotels.

Analysts say Nigeria's megachurch leaders are so influential that few politicians dare upset them, especially just before a national election, which Nigeria is due to hold in five month

http://af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFKBN0HG05W20140921

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by DickDastardly(m): 11:08am On Sep 21, 2014
Irrelevant! cool
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 21, 2014
Fashola the ball is in your court. Charge TBJ for involuntary manslaughter
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:16am On Sep 21, 2014
jonadaftt playing politics with people's lives and Nigeria integrity! Smh!
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:18am On Sep 21, 2014
T.B. Joshua's church draws thousands of followers from all over Africa and many other parts of the world, attracted by claims that he and his "wise men" can cure almost any affliction by "casting out demons" they say are responsible for everything from madness to HIV/AIDS to normally irreparable spine damage.

Only in Nigeria grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 21, 2014
Its so sad that up till now, TB Joshua, Fashola and Jonathan have not sent a condolence message to the south african government.

That's too bad o!

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:20am On Sep 21, 2014
If nothing is done to TB Joshua by Fashola, I may reconsider my support for Him!

---Ngene
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Jmain: 11:24am On Sep 21, 2014
useless threat
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by itsmine: 11:34am On Sep 21, 2014
Oga jona hasn't done any wrong here, its his duty. when he didn't visit chibok despite d initial cloud on d kidnap, we all booed him. his synagogue visit doesn't suggest attempt to shut out necessary investigations, its human lives dt are lost here, nigerians included pls!
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Johnnoah1st: 11:40am On Sep 21, 2014
to hell with south africa , who do they tink dey are self

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Chubhie: 11:59am On Sep 21, 2014
NgeneUkwenu: If nothing is done to TB Joshua by Fashola, I may reconsider my support for Him!

---Ngene
LOL. You are planing to set fashola up for political suicide and open to spiritual attack. A shrewd politician will stick his neck out in this if it in no way affects his self interest. Is it not in order to say that both Fashola and oga jona are both shrewd politicians and never worth all the hype afterall? Perhaps, it is yet too early to conclude?
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by JuanDeDios: 11:59am On Sep 21, 2014
itsmine: Oga jona hasn't done any wrong here, its his duty. when he didn't visit chibok despite d initial cloud on d kidnap, we all booed him. his synagogue visit doesn't suggest attempt to shut out necessary investigations, its human lives dt are lost here, nigerians included pls!
Our government has done a lot of wrong-
(1) Condoling with Joshua and stopping there, making this appear to be all about the "man of God".
(2) Not coming out firmly to declare this a law and order issue, which it apparently is, rather than some accident.
(3) Not compelling Joshua to be open - release the list of everyone who was known to be in the building.
(4) Not sending a direct message to South Africa condoling them and assuring them that full investigations will be carried out and anyone found culpable will be punished.
(5) Allowing Joshua to remain in business in the main church after disclosing that that building also has question marks.

We should be ashamed of our governments - federal and Lagos State. I heard Fashola even went there to hold a "closed door meeting" Joshua! Shame. Till date the man has not been questioned by the police. They will sweep everything under the carpet as usual. The law is not meant for powerful people in Nigeria. Messed up country.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nobody: 12:10pm On Sep 21, 2014
JuanDeDios:
Our government has done a lot of wrong-
(1) Condoling with Joshua and stopping there, making this appear to be all about the "man of God".
(2) Not coming out firmly to declare this a law and order issue, which it apparently is, rather than some accident.
(3) Not compelling Joshua to be open - release the list of everyone who was known to be in the building.
(4) Not sending a direct message to South Africa condoling them and assuring them that full investigations will be carried out and anyone found culpable will be punished.
(5) Allowing Joshua to remain in business in the main church after disclosing that that building also has question marks.

We should be ashamed of our governments - federal and Lagos State. I heard Fashola even went there to hold a "closed door meeting" Joshua! Shame. Till date the man has not been questioned by the police. They will sweep everything under the carpet as usual. The law is not meant for powerful people in Nigeria. Messed up country.
Abeg chill with that slave mentality. It's sad that lives were lost in the accident but as far as I'm concerned South Africa is taking the matter to far. Nigeria doesn't owe her any apology because the Nigerian Govt didn't force the South Africans to come to SCOAN.Besides how many times has the SA govt offered condolence message to the Nigerian govt and families of Nigerians killed in SA. My cousin was killed last month by an armed gang in Johannesburg and till today SA hasn't in any form condoled with our family.
While I call for a full investigation into the matter we should stop making it a Nigeria South Africa row.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 21, 2014
APContherun:
Abeg chill with that slave mentality. It's sad that lives were lost in the accident but as far as I'm concerned South Africa is taking the matter to far. Nigeria doesn't owe her any apology because the Nigerian Govt didn't force the South Africans to come to SCOAN.Besides how many times has the SA govt offered condolence message to the Nigerian govt and families of Nigerians killed in SA. My cousin was killed last month by an armed gang in Johannesburg and till today SA hasn't in any form condoled with our family.
While I call for a full investigation into the matter we should stop making it a Nigeria South Africa row.
Nonsense!

So you're using your cousin's death to justify the reason why Nigerian government shouldn't send condolence message to SA? Did SA also force your cousin to live in their country?

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by JuanDeDios: 12:18pm On Sep 21, 2014
APContherun:
You're the one who appears to have a slave mentality since you can't read well.

Show me where I asked for an apology!

So if you're the president of Nigeria and more than 50 Nigerians die in a single incident in another country you will not expect a direct statement by the government of that country assuring the families of a thorough investigation - especially where there is an apparent malfeasance? Why are you comparing the death of possibly close to 100 people with the your one cousin? Did our own media not report that Joshua's people initially obstructed rescue operation with the government's rescue people seeming helpless instead of calling in the police immediately? Is this how governments function?

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by free2ryhme: 12:20pm On Sep 21, 2014
berem: Nonsense!

So you're using your cousin's death to justify the reason why Nigerian government shouldn't send condolence message to SA? Did SA also force your cousin to live in their country?

the same reason Nigerian govt did not force the SCOAN SA congregations that got killed to come to synagogue

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Richhommie(m): 12:26pm On Sep 21, 2014
These Sourh Africans. Dont accidents happen in their country. What of the Nigerians that hav died in SA. what did they do about it.
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by bennyrazz: 12:54pm On Sep 21, 2014
there is God o

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by tinkinjow: 12:55pm On Sep 21, 2014
Who's this SA slave here
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 21, 2014
JuanDeDios:
You're the one who appears to have a slave mentality since you can't read well.

Show me where I asked for an apology!

So if you're the president of Nigeria and more than 50 Nigerians die in a single incident in another country you will not expect a direct statement by the government of that country assuring the families of a thorough investigation - especially where there is an apparent malfeasance? Why are you comparing the death of possibly close to 100 people with the your one cousin? Did our own media not report that Joshua's people initially obstructed rescue operation with the government's rescue people seeming helpless instead of calling in the police immediately? Is this how governments function?
My cousin had as much right as the over 60 South Africans to live but his life was cut short at just 32 and the South African govt never offered any condolence message to my family even after repeated calls on Union Building. My cousin is one of many Nigerians who have suffered death in the hands of South Africa and her death gangs. I don't support Joshua because I don't even believe in him but the South African govt should allow the Nigeriangovt do what it feels.
berem: Nonsense!
Two wrongs don't make a right but the SA govt should also remember how shabbily it has treated Nigerians inthe past.
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 21, 2014
if your cousin was a member of drug trafficking gangs probably he was killed by his colleague ....may his soul rest in peace

APContherun:
My cousin had as much right as the over 60 South Africans to live but his life was cut short at just 32 and the South African govt never offered any condolence message to my family even after repeated calls on Union Building. My cousin is one of many Nigerians who have suffered death in the hands of South Africa and her death gangs. I don't support Joshua because I don't even believe in him but the South African govt should allow the Nigeriangovt do what it feels.
Two wrongs don't make a right but the SA govt should also remember how shabbily it has treated Nigerians inthe past.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by ikaboy: 2:19pm On Sep 21, 2014
If Fashola is your dad, will you advise to dare closing down TB's church? Who know fear e life. Please allow them to use wisdom on this case. TB is a mysterious person that know one understands.
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 21, 2014
While we are in a hurry to criticise government and show our political leaning, let us not forget the following facts;

1. T. B Joshua is an 'ambassador' of Nigeria. He markets this country to the international community. Many people who ordinarily would not have anything to do with this country had had course to come here for one favour or the other from (his?)God. He is an unofficial Minister of foreign Affairs.

2. The large number of foreigners and Nigerians that throng his church is a good source of revenue to LASG in particular and Nigeria in general. Some foreigners who visit here, tend to discover business opportunities that bring them back for investments. This has made him the unoffocial Minister of trade and investment.

3. He has provided hope and entertainment to many Nigerians. Giving them the hope or illusion that they are the next miracle to happen, thereby making people less dependent on government. This has been to the advantage of the rulers cos they ask us to hope on God while they hope on their looting, unquestioned.

Now, to the meat of the matter. President GEJ or Fashola did nothing wrong in visiting the scene to condole with the deceased, injured, their relatives, T. B. Joshua, Nigerians and the rest of the world. It is their duty to do that. The problem is with the LASG that have refused to do their duty by, monitoring and supervising the building during construction, sanctioning Synagogue church and bringing T. B. Joshua and the LASG officials that colluded with him to book.

South Africa does not know that in Nigeria the law is the command of the supreme backed by sanctions and is applicable to the masses.
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by moneybag100: 2:29pm On Sep 21, 2014
Useless post...FUC....k South Africa did TB force anyone to come to his church.
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 21, 2014
EroZA:
if your cousin was a member of drug trafficking gangs probably he was killed by his colleague ....may his soul rest in peace

So where the many South Africans flocking to Lagos in droves seeking fake miracles. It pains stop making me say ill of the dead. My cousin was a victim of xenophobic attack which I'm sure you know is very rampart in South Africa.
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Amanwulu1(m): 3:23pm On Sep 21, 2014
until it gets to fp, if it does.
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nonybb: 3:27pm On Sep 21, 2014
He is afraid of attacking TB Joshua because 2015 Election is around the corner, perhaps the man might prophecy against his victory. TB Joshua behaves like an Occultic prince. Even if my own case pass Jim Iyke' own I can never step foot on that shrine called Church or abi na Synagogue
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by JuanDeDios: 3:33pm On Sep 21, 2014
APContherun:
No, they won't, and they shouldn't. If our government does not feel to do the right thing, right-thinking people everywhere have a duty to call them out.

Yes, your cousin had as much rights as each of the over 60 South Africans that have died. But what were you people calling the Union Buildings for - to demand for proper investigations or for condolences? Are you sure the Union Buildings was the appropriate department to call? Many Nigerians, such as, unfortunately, your cousin, have died in foreign lands. Many foreigners have also died in Nigeria. When a foreigner dies in Nigeria the Nigerian government does not owe the family of the foreigner any special attention or messages. But the Nigerian government owes them a proper investigation and if this is not done, the family ought to insist on it. It doesn't matter whether the RSA government wrote you letters or not. What they owed you was a proper investigation into the death of your cousin.

Yes, I have read stories of Nigerians treated badly in South Africa and it's a shame if our government did not stand up for them. But again you conflate issues when you compare the death of your cousin to the death of 60 or so people. That fact that the president of the republic came down to the scene should tell you something big happened here. In this case, special attention and condolences are necessary. In fact, when you have incident of this magnitude, the government takes over, rescuing, investigating, announcing deaths and their nationalities, etc. The announcement of how many South Africans died ought to have come from the Nigerian government.

What some of you don't seem to understand is the danger this incident poses to our economy. The problem is not that a building collapses - that happens anywhere. It is our government's response to it. Our government is acting as if a building collapse that kills close to 100 is no big deal - no serious investigations, nothing. The next time some folk in some country wants to come to Nigeria to invest, the advisory he will get will include, apart from Boko Haram and Ebola, collapsing buildings.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by RockMaxi: 4:02pm On Sep 21, 2014
We will weather the storm. So what?
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 21, 2014
Note that t.b joshou have Agents all over SA who visit churches and invite people to visit Joshua s church in Lagos,people don't just come,they are invited....as for your cousin only your gods know why he died in SA soil..dont rule out the drug trafficking "gangsterism" though

APContherun:
So where the many South Africans flocking to Lagos in droves seeking fake miracles. It pains stop making me say ill of the dead. My cousin was a victim of xenophobic attack which I'm sure you know is very rampart in South Africa.
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Gorrbachev: 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2014
smiley wink cheesy angry grin sad tongue
Re: Jonathan's Support For TB Joshua Could Widen Diplomatic Rift With SA-Reuters by Gorrbachev: 4:22pm On Sep 21, 2014
smiley grin angry angry undecided kiss cry tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Elechi Kicks As Low Turnout Mars Pro-jonathan Rally In Ebonyi / What Will U Do If Your Bank Deducts ₦1500 From Ur Account For Buhari’s Campaign / Y Did GEJ Wait For Election Period To Mount An Offensive Against Boko Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.