Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,440 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? (3044 Views)

How Do I Overcome This Deceit? / How Can You Overcome The Death Of A Spouse? / I Have This Phobia Of Getting Killed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by pxjosh(m): 1:38pm On Sep 21, 2014
NLnders, I'm having an issue with public speaking; anytime I try to talk maybe in an event or even in class; my heart will just start beating fast; and I start to stutter. I also somehow talk too fast. in no time I'd be a health professional, and definitely I'd have to address a group of people one time or another. how do I overcome this fear of public speaking? if you've been in my shoes before and you've changed, your comments will be very much appreciated.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by HisSexcellency(m): 1:51pm On Sep 21, 2014
pxjosh: NLnders, I'm having an issue with public speaking; anytime I try to talk maybe in an event or even in class; my heart will just start beating fast; and I start to stutter. I also somehow talk too fast. in no time I'd be a health professional, and definitely I'd have to address a group of people one time or another. how do I overcome this fear of public speaking? if you've been in my shoes before and you've changed, your comments will be very much appreciated.
quickest and sure way is to always is to be high on sometime. But since cocaine or heroine or dope is scarse around here and also expensive, and as a student i suggest you take weed, its very cheap and available 24/7 if look around. Or you think say all those celebrities both male and female wey dey take am na for fun?
A little alomo will also do the trick and its not addictive also, so enjoy... Cheers, thank me later very important.
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by pxjosh(m): 2:07pm On Sep 21, 2014
HisSexcellency:
quickest and sure way is to always is to be high on sometime. But since cocaine or heroine or dope is scarse around here and also expensive, and as a student i suggest you take weed, its very cheap and available 24/7 if look around. Or you think say all those celebrities both male and female wey dey take am na for fun?
A little alomo will also do the trick and its not addictive also, so enjoy... Cheers, thank me later very important.
if you don't have any meaningful comment to give then save your limited data

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by ULSHERLAN(m): 2:14pm On Sep 21, 2014
It depends, the poster abv gave you ways to improve but you rejected. Anyways it depends on the kind of person you are and from your post I guess you dont take stimulants. The best way for you is to talk more in public, probably you are scared not to make blunders but if you take that out of your mind, then you are good to go
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 21, 2014
pxjosh: NLnders, I'm having an issue with public speaking; anytime I try to talk maybe in an event or even in class; my heart will just start beating fast; and I start to stutter. I also somehow talk too fast. in no time I'd be a health professional, and definitely I'd have to address a group of people one time or another. how do I overcome this fear of public speaking? if you've been in my shoes before and you've changed, your comments will be very much appreciated.
; the best way to defeaat ur fears; is by confronting it; bro I could say I use to be like u; but now I 'm a public speakerj dat; u'll like to listen speak... wink I employed dat ; I confronted my fears; I just started doing it; making mistakes learning from them; refusing to be deterred; Now I'm better!!! Good luck bro!!!

(Public speakers rule d world; historial archives; will lay credence to dis)

1 Like

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by phabulous88(m): 2:26pm On Sep 21, 2014
The only way to overcome this phobia is to start speaking, start practicing in front of a mirror. Don't cram, jot down key points and be very knowledgeable about the subject you will be speaking about. Engage your audience by starting with something funny, something they can relate with and progress from there. Your voice will probably be shaky in the first few seconds (mine still does) but it will become stable before the minute runs out, trust me. The worse that can happen is people laughing at you, nobody can slap you. When you are with your peers always say something, even if it means summarising their points, don't just concur. I wish you the best.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 2:49pm On Sep 21, 2014
I used to have this issue...i made up my mind to speak up in public more often...and i took apart @impromptu speech...with time, the ekwensu disappeared.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 21, 2014
If you are to give a speech, good preparation will give you self-confidence.
It also helps me to look people in the eyes when I talk to them. Focus on friendly faces.

The excitement you feel at the beginning, vanishes after a few minutes. Remember! Feel it and then it will leave. It is normal.
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 21, 2014
...@Poster.....I understand how you feel...I also understand that you might have gone through or tried numerous ways to improve yourself....

I was once in your shoes...lol...still wearing it anyway....I noticed my phobia when i was in 200 level..Twas very embarrassing for me....I started working on myself...

I discovered that i had little confidence in myself, i discovered that i wasn't prepared enough, I discovered that I needed to do lots and lots of practise....I discovered that i usually look at my mates whenever i present or talk...

At first, I made sure that my supervisor was aware of my phobia....She helped me alot...encouraged me alot...She would always tell me that she knows i can do better...

WHAT TO DO??..
1. Let someone know about your weakness.
2. Make sure you prepare yourself....read extensively..
3. Do lots of rehearsals with your friends, alone...
4. Be calm and have confidence

7 Likes

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 21, 2014
U could register with "toast masters". That's what they do; U'll be engaged, n dey train u in public speaking; dats if u a worker n can pay their yrly dues.
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 21, 2014
I suffer from debilitating anxiety.. To the point of almost fainting if I'm required to talk in public.No matter how well prepared I Amy heart beats too fast,I start shaking so hard and feel short of breath.
Only thing that has helped me is medication.
I hope somehow you find a way round this
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by ChideraFavour(m): 5:02pm On Sep 21, 2014
Me too o! Bt my case is different I think I hv a vry poor academic background which make me lag behind in English speakn though am trying my best sha! If I would hv a good English skills I dnt mind I can even hold a crowd as large as a state

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 21, 2014
Try switching on your television with a very low volume and then stand in front and practice your speech..Also try standing in front of a mirror to practice..

Knowing your audience is a good tip to help you prepare well

Try to get used to filler words(things to say when you go out of point or when you are overwhelmed with the audience) like"hello,are you with me?" or"Am I communicating?"

Also,try to look above the faces of the people you would be addressing cos some faces might make you start laughing grin (talking from experience)

And lastly,hold a biro or a tissue paper when speaking to prevent you from fidgeting
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 21, 2014
I'm still struggling with the same problem , it was worse b4 it's getting better though.
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 21, 2014
ChideraFavour: Me too o! Bt my case is different I think I hv a vry poor academic background which make me lag behind in English speakn though am trying my best sha! If I would hv a good English skills I dnt mind I can even hold a crowd as large as a state

It can be worked on wink
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by OnyeEgo1(m): 5:27pm On Sep 21, 2014
I started addressing d public as little as 7yrs not to my age mate alone but also to dose far more better, older and experienced dan me pronto times....

As it were i av govern and presidented several groups even in my present institution, current H.O.C of Biology dept. Eksu Nig.

But i started a very Long tym ago, due to consistency i av perfected my skills, i now look forward to talks, more pple keep sending me I.V to m.c dia programme and it earn me tins u knw na lol.

The key word is ''Consistency and Persistency''...

I have to adress some large crowd tomoro.... U can come around and watch tho

try throwing jokes it keep ur audience alive.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by ChideraFavour(m): 8:59pm On Sep 21, 2014
carefreewannabe:

It can be worked on wink
thanks bt I stil need a guidline 4 dt. Lik I sed if I can improve on my English 2 hold crowd is neva a problem 2 me

1 Like

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by marieolae(f): 9:52pm On Sep 21, 2014
HisSexcellency:
is this meant to be advice?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Chubhie: 10:26pm On Sep 21, 2014
Do these things. You have to have an in-depth knowledge of the subject matter you want to discuss. Take bullet points with you to keep you within the subject matter and scope so you won't blab off. The morning to d day, do a light exercise, eat light, dress smart paying attention to details, smell nice, wear nice perfume, wear a smile and play your fav music on your way to the venue. As you are stepping into the venue drop all your worries at the entrance. Once you are live configure your mindset that you are the only brilliant person in that room and the rest are fools-common, all are sitted and you are the one they are waiting to hear from! This is your moment to show them what you've got!!!!!! Dazzle them!!!!! Since you are new to public speaking, don't make eye contact just look em @ their foreheads. You gonna win some ladies heart once you are done. I'm rooting for you.
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 25, 2014
Know yourself.
Know the subject.
Know the audience.
Give yourself the permission to make mistake.
Remember, not all men are orators but the art of fine speech can be learnt.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Ezibless: 10:40am On Sep 25, 2014
If the aforementioned points are not enough,get Dale Carnegie books. It helped me too.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by olu4life(m): 11:29am On Sep 25, 2014
Well it has been all said. Had to face crowd from 200L due to my post as an Executive in my fellowship of over 1000 students. When given microphone,hand will be shaking and start stammering and also sweating profusely. Later on,I caught up with it and now a pro when given the chance to speak.
1. Try rehearsing in front of a mirror. Composure matters a lot and also ur gestures
2. U can also rehearse in front of ur friends and family members. They will correct and make jest where needed
3. Don't look in the eyes of the audience for a start. Especially if ur friends are in d audience. Just look above their heads
4. Lastly,relax as much as possible. Be comfortable also

Confidence is the key
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by 2good(m): 11:55am On Sep 25, 2014
The only solution from my own experience is by doing it often then it becomes a part of you.
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by mentorandfriend(m): 12:09pm On Sep 25, 2014
I want to talk with you because

1) I can relate to your problem. I was a very shy person growing up. I cant face a crowd. As little kids, if I get involved in a fight and I'm called to explain, I'll start crying, even if I won the fight. It was that bad.

2) I'm a health professional too. Ok. That's it.

I read in the comments above how people were telling you to have confidence in yourself, but how?
1) Discover who you really are from the manufacturer's manual. God made you, the manual is the bible. That manual says you can do all things. So the first step to self confidence is knowing who you are.
2) Start small. Dont wait for a big break. When I desired to break into public speaking as a medical student, I sent out invitations to all the primary and secondary schools around our area. I talked about four times every week on values for living, academic success, etc. At the end of three years, I had a huge experience above a proffessional speaker who got a speaking engagement of once a week.
3) Be knowledgeable about what you want to talk about. Knowledge is reflective; it causes a man's face to shine. When you know above average on what you want to talk about, your confidence will grow. Spend time reading quality books in your area of interest.
4) Decide early in life not to associate with people who doubt your abilities. They will continuously limit you.
I remember one girl who did not believe me, yet I publicly refer to her as my best friend. One morning, I woke up and decided I will reduce communication with her. I never shared my dreams with her anymore. Did it pay off? Yes it did. Better people entered my life.
5) Dont attempt to speak from your head so as to impress. Once your desire is to impress others rather than to express your originality, you will be hooked up in the process. Nobody will kill you if you marshal out your points from a small hardcover slip in your hand.
Cheers bro.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by pxjosh(m): 5:59pm On Sep 27, 2014
mentorandfriend: I want to talk with you because

1) I can relate to your problem. I was a very shy person growing up. I cant face a crowd. As little kids, if I get involved in a fight and I'm called to explain, I'll start crying, even if I won the fight. It was that bad.

2) I'm a health professional too. Ok. That's it.

I read in the comments above how people were telling you to have confidence in yourself, but how?
1) Discover who you really are from the manufacturer's manual. God made you, the manual is the bible. That manual says you can do all things. So the first step to self confidence is knowing who you are.
2) Start small. Dont wait for a big break. When I desired to break into public speaking as a medical student, I sent out invitations to all the primary and secondary schools around our area. I talked about four times every week on values for living, academic success, etc. At the end of three years, I had a huge experience above a proffessional speaker who got a speaking engagement of once a week.
3) Be knowledgeable about what you want to talk about. Knowledge is reflective; it causes a man's face to shine. When you know above average on what you want to talk about, your confidence will grow. Spend time reading quality books in your area of interest.
4) Decide early in life not to associate with people who doubt your abilities. They will continuously limit you.
I remember one girl who did not believe me, yet I publicly refer to her as my best friend. One morning, I woke up and decided I will reduce communication with her. I never shared my dreams with her anymore. Did it pay off? Yes it did. Better people entered my life.
5) Dont attempt to speak from your head so as to impress. Once your desire is to impress others rather than to express your originality, you will be hooked up in the process. Nobody will kill you if you marshal out your points from a small hardcover slip in your hand.
Cheers bro.
thank you very much. I now try to ask questions in class and also contribute when necessary. I'm becoming better little by little.
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Jaygrl(f): 6:15pm On Sep 27, 2014
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by mentorandfriend(m): 6:52pm On Sep 27, 2014
pxjosh: thank you very much. I now try to ask questions in class and also contribute when necessary. I'm becoming better little by little.
That's goodnews. This is the way to find your voice my guy.
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 27, 2015
pxjosh:
if you don't have any meaningful comment to give then save your limited data
hahaha
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by erne: 5:16pm On Jan 09, 2016
Unlock Your Education
Enhance Your Public Speaking Skills
Conquer Your Fear & Speak with Confidence

Join our 1month intensive
PUBLIC SPEAKING CLASS:
Call: 08139458588
Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by erne: 5:17pm On Jan 09, 2016
Unlock Your Education
Enhance Your Public Speaking Skills
Conquer Your Fear & Speak with Confidence

Join our 1month intensive
PUBLIC SPEAKING CLASS:

Re: How Do I Overcome The Phobia Of Public Speaking? by Queenlovely(f): 6:16am On Oct 31, 2017
J

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Abortion Story / Of Shocking Sexual Advances From Men / I Fear I Won't Have A Marriage As Good as My Parents' Own

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.