Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:50 AM

5 Reasons Not To Judge People - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 5 Reasons Not To Judge People (4009 Views)

Compare And Contrast These Christmas Wishes And Judge For Yourself.(image) / I Stopped To Judge People After Reading This / Don't Judge People Before U Knw Them. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Not To Judge People by MizMyColi(f): 5:22pm On Sep 22, 2014
5 Reasons Not to Judge People:

1. You don’t know what is going on inside another person.
How many times have you been asked how you are, and said “fine,” even though you weren’t? We all know this is true. We mask our pain. We suffer in silence. We put on the happy/smiley face when we are dying inside. Just because you don’t see it, doesn’t mean another person isn’t hurting. A person’s actions or behaviors may not be any indication of what is going on inside of them.

2. People are doing the best they can.
I know this is sometimes difficult to believe about another person. I get that. It’s hard for me at times to believe that about others. But think about it. You know it’s true. It’s complicated! Life is complicated! People are complicated! There are a lot of moving parts inside and outside a person. Aren’t we all a little off – carrying pain, unhealed wounds, ways we protect ourselves, and other dysfunctions we have picked up a long the way?

3. You don’t have all the answers.
At times we can look at another person’s life and just see all this stupid stuff it appears they’re doing. On the outside looking in, another person’s life seems pretty cut and dry to us in terms of what they should be doing or not doing or how they are handing a situation or whatever. It’s amazing how quickly we turn into the infallible personal life coach when it comes to another person’s life!

4. Being judged hurts.
It’s quite possible that the most painful human feeling is one of being judged. There’s so much involved – silent pain; being misunderstood; rejection in the very moment we most need understanding, love and acceptance.

5. Every human being is worth love and acceptance.
Judging people often leads to objectifying them. People are not objects. A suicide happens every 20 seconds. People will often show up in our lives at the end of their rope… hanging on by a thread. The expression of love, acceptance, understanding and kindness to someone who is struggling or hurting may be the difference between them giving up on themselves and life or finding the courage and hope to keep living.

Give Everyone Grace.

Source

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 22, 2014
Tell that to the self-absorbed!! It's human to judge na. People just like to cast people down for no/many reason(s). Most of which are selfish and annoying.

I always try not to judge, even when I do so, I do it in my head. And most times, it stays there.
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by priscaoge(f): 5:28pm On Sep 22, 2014
-How well do u know the person? Have U walked in his/her shoes? Do u have all the complete information? How sure are u that what u think u know about the person is CORRECT?

-B4 judging someone, make
sure dat u know all facts abt this person. Maybe u don't know d whole story, that’s why it would be better not to make a judgment. It is very important to hold off until you know all facts.

-No body on earth is Perfect!

-Do unto others what u expect them to do unto uundecided

-We all have different taste,One man's food is another dude's poisonwink

-Look beyond appearance cos it might deceive U!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Tallesty1(m): 5:30pm On Sep 22, 2014
When I was in elementary school, I got into a major argument with a boy in my class. I have forgotten what the argument was about, but I have never forgotten the lesson I learned that day.

I was convinced that “I” was right and “he” was wrong – and he was just as convinced that “I” was wrong and “he” was right. The teacher decided to teach us a very important lesson.

She brought us up to the front of the class and placed him on one side of her desk and me on the other. In the middle of her desk was a large, round object. I could clearly see that it was black. She asked the boy what color the object was. “White,” he answered.

I couldn’t believe he said the object was white, when it was obviously black! Another argument started between my classmate and me, this time about the color of the object.

The teacher told me to go stand where the boy was standing and told him to come stand where I had been. We changed places, and now she asked me what the color of the object was. I had to answer, “White.”

It was an object with two differently colored sides, and from his viewpoint it was white. Only from my side it was black.

Sometimes we need to look at the problem from the other person’s view in order to truly understand his/her perspective.

Author Unknown

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by TRADELYN: 5:30pm On Sep 22, 2014
Being judged does not always mean 'WRONG/BAD.'

It's either you are judged right or wrong!

"You shall know them by the fruit of their labour."

Everybody must/will be judged whether you like it or not.
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by MizMyColi(f): 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2014
shoefreak: Tell that to the self-absorbed!! It's human to judge na. People just like to cast people down for no/many reason(s). Most of which are selfish and annoying.

I always try not to judge, even when I do so, I do it in my head. And most times, it stays there.

1 bag of tushly made popcorn for you, and Coke Zero.
I do that too, judging in my head, and staying there.
If it's ever brought to my consciousness that I just judged a person, I just smile and try to think good thoughts towards them and possibly make excuses for them.
I'm consciously working on making it (judging in my head) a thing of the past, or at least, to a bare minimum.
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by dytbabe: 5:33pm On Sep 22, 2014
I don't judge
I reason with every situation

I frigging hate to be judged
*frowns*

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by ALKARULEZ615(m): 5:34pm On Sep 22, 2014
FP material...

Catchu on FP
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by pickabeau1: 5:37pm On Sep 22, 2014
i dont understand the op

Are u talking about the act of having opinions which can be called judging also
Are u talking of praising or condemning people which is also judging
Are u talking of the negative result of judgement

whiich? undecided
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by okotv(m): 5:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
I judge people a lot although it occurs only is my head. I just expect too much from people and if you don't meet up you are gone....I solved this issue because I shared with a close female friend who gave me reasons why I should change...the guide was beautiful and yes shout out to you....blizbenoni even though you are forming hard lady.
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Dygeasy(m): 5:45pm On Sep 22, 2014
The only question I like to ask myself or any judge is, "If you were in the person's shoes, would you have acted differently or done it better?"

2 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 5:49pm On Sep 22, 2014
Dygeasy: The only question I like to ask myself or any judge is, "If you were in the person's shoes, would you have acted differently or done it better?"
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by chibwike(m): 5:52pm On Sep 22, 2014
I dont judge people because i wont like it if anyone judges me(wrongly). Sometime the face or the attitude might not be what the heart says.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
I don't judge people because I don't know what's going on inside anybody. I only know me and I know me like I don't even know me so who am I to judge people when I know how it's going for me....

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by crackhaus: 5:54pm On Sep 22, 2014
I would rather that people develop some level of self-awareness, a meter by which we monitor our thoughts and feelings so we know exactly when we have crossed that line from just knowing a person to judging that person.

I say this because, whether we like it or not and as individuals living in a society comprised of people with differing attitudes, dispositions, and some benign biased objectivity... we all unconsciously judge others and form opinions on them without even realizing it.

Judging others is not the issue really, the problem begins when we deal/act/treat them based on that personal judgment and opinion we already hold them to.

This is where some self-awareness is needed. With it, one can safely form opinions but at the same time be aware that this judgement/opinion may not be as we think it to be.
With this ability on hand and if need be, we can then make an effort in getting to know a person beyond the judgment we hold of them.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 5:58pm On Sep 22, 2014
I remember the days when I was a freaking legalistic, judgemental, self righteous a$&h¤le. I wouldn't even attend FCS in sec school because I felt I was holier than them all. Then I read To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee and God be praised, I was cured of my bull$h¡+. My favourite line in the whole book was where Atticus Finch said this:

" You never really understand a person until you
consider things from his point of view... Until you
climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by MissSlimbody(f): 6:08pm On Sep 22, 2014
I have always have this in my head:
People always have reasons for acting the way they do.
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by AriDsexy(f): 6:10pm On Sep 22, 2014
If u don't know me,don't judge me.....even if u do,don't judge so that u also don't get judged.
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by daveP(m): 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2014
Diff views to judging.

The 'what do you think is the right thing'.

The 'if you were in his/her shoes'

The saying 'the truth regardless of whatever it may be'

Those in the 3rd actually get bashed the most.

'judge not, so you wont be judged' is one of the misquoted/misunderstood bible verses ive seen.

Overall, im nt hasty to do so-unlike me to judge/conclude to easy. But the why question will keep bugging me
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2014
crackhaus: I would rather that people develop some level of self-awareness, a meter by which we monitor our thoughts and feelings so we know exactly when we have crossed that line from just knowing a person to judging that person.

I say this because, whether we like it or not and as individuals living in a society comprised of people with differing attitudes, dispositions, and some benign biased objectivity... we all unconsciously judge others and form opinions on them without even realizing it.

Judging others is not the issue really, the problem begins when we deal/act/treat them based on that personal judgment and opinion we already hold them to.

This is where some self-awareness is needed. With it, one can safely form opinions but at the same time be aware that this judgement/opinion may not be as we think it to be.
With this ability on hand and if need be, we can then make an effort in getting to know a person beyond the judgment we hold of them.

Impressive!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by daveP(m): 6:17pm On Sep 22, 2014
IrishKez:

Impressive!
youre back smiley
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 22, 2014
daveP: Diff views to judging.

The 'what do you think is the right thing'.

The 'if you were in his/her shoes'

The saying 'the truth regardless of whatever it may be'

Those in the 3rd actually get bashed the most.

'judge not, so you wont be judged' is one of the misquoted/misunderstood bible verses ive seen.

Overall, im nt hasty to do so-unlike me to judge/conclude to easy. But the why question will keep bugging me
Hmmmm......
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Swagavillage(m): 6:26pm On Sep 22, 2014
in case
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by daveP(m): 6:36pm On Sep 22, 2014
FrankySnow: Hmmmm......
hmmm embarassed
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 22, 2014
priscaoge: -How well do u know the person? Have U walked in his/her shoes? Do u have all the complete information? How sure are u that what u think u know about the person is CORRECT?

-B4 judging someone, make
sure dat u know all facts abt this person. Maybe u don't know d whole story, that’s why it would be better not to make a judgment. It is very important to hold off until you know all facts.

-No body on earth is Perfect!

-Do unto others what u expect them to do unto uundecided

-We all have different taste,One man's food is another dude's poisonwink

-Look beyond appearance cos it might deceive U!
My sister, the bolded is one reason I try not to judge anybody because even me gan.....you see this thing we call cloth, it covers so many things. If only you can see through to people heart eh, hmmm.

You don't know anybody until you go close to the person. Most people are not the way they look and If you don't go close you won't know them so why judge them?

People act the way they do for many reasons. Here on nl all I know and see are people's monikers but I know nothing about the people behind the monikers i see so judging is a No for me.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
daveP: hmmm embarassed
Its nothing Dave, she just woke up. embarassed
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by daveP(m): 6:40pm On Sep 22, 2014
FrankySnow: Its nothing Dave, she just woke up. embarassed
aha, im nt judging now!! wink
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 6:44pm On Sep 22, 2014
daveP: aha, im nt judging now!! wink
I never said you did. wink

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by priscaoge(f): 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
FrankySnow: My sister, the bolded is one reason I try not to judge anybody because even me gan.....you see this thing we call cloth, it covers so many things. If only you can see through to people heart eh, hmmm.

You don't know anybody until you go close to the person. Most people are not the way they look and If you don't go close you won't know them so why judge them?

People act the way they do for many reasons. Here on nl all I know and and see is peoples monikser but I know nothing about the person behind the monikers i see so judging is a No for me.
My points exactly! Now let me tell u something! I have someone that pretends a lot,if u see her eeh,u will so swear that she's a saint. She gives advice like Mother Teresaundecidedundecided. People judge her base on her appearance n the way she pretends. Mstcheww. Sometimes when they praise her,I will just smile n shake my headundecidedundecidedBut if u spend a day or two with her? OMG u will so hate her character. Cloths indeed covers multitude of attitude. Don't judge anyone until u spend quality time with d person or know their real true story!
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by MizMyColi(f): 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2014
crackhaus: I would rather that people develop some level of self-awareness, a meter by which we monitor our thoughts and feelings so we know exactly when we have crossed that line from just knowing a person to judging that person.

@pickabeau1
Crackhaus has summed up the matter grin and I think that's what the writer was driving at too.
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by pickabeau1: 6:51pm On Sep 22, 2014
crackhaus post is very clear n says judging/having opinions of others is impossible to avoid....

it is ur post that im trying to get albeit quoted from somewhere...

so i ask again ....which is it

Is it judging to form an opinion that is the issue or making decisions based on our judgement of them

MizMyColi:

@pickabeau1
Crackhaus has summed up the matter grin and I think that's what the writer was driving at too.
Re: 5 Reasons Not To Judge People by Nobody: 6:53pm On Sep 22, 2014
priscaoge:
My points exactly! Now let me tell u something! I have someone that pretends a lot,if u see her eeh,u will so swear that she's a saint. She gives advice like Mother Teresaundecidedundecided. People judge her base on her appearance n the way she pretends. Mstcheww. Sometimes when they praise her,I will just smile n shake my headundecidedundecidedBut if u spend a day or two with her? OMG u will so hate her character. Cloths indeed covers multitude of attitude. Don't judge anyone until u spend quality time with d person or know their real true story!
Lmao. Mother Theresa kwa grin cheesy

Have you ever tried to ask her why she behaves like that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Serrapeptase Doctor's Best 120,000 Available-to Unblock Fallopian Tubes. / Nigeria Vs Ghana; World Cup Twitter War / If Olamide Is The Biological Father Of Mehcosa, Then Where Does Yemi Alade Stand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.