Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Only In Africa! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Only In Africa! (1978 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Only In Africa! by DavidDylan(m): 7:11am On Nov 05, 2008
President Mwai Kibaki of Kenya has just declared Wed 5th Nov a national public holiday in Kenya! shocked

What a gross misplacement of priorities!
Re: Only In Africa! by Morenike3(f): 7:12am On Nov 05, 2008
It wouldn't be a surprise if Nigeria names a street after Obama
Re: Only In Africa! by AKO1(m): 7:15am On Nov 05, 2008
*Morenike:

It wouldn't be a surprise if Nigeria names a street after Obama

There is already a "Senator Obama Nur/Pry School" somewhere in Lagos, saw it in the news yesterday.

I guess they can now change the name to "President Obama Nur/Pry School" undecided

I'm really looking forward to the end of the euphoria.
Re: Only In Africa! by Morenike3(f): 7:16am On Nov 05, 2008
Nigeria is so predictable. hiss
Re: Only In Africa! by Sammy107d(m): 7:17am On Nov 05, 2008
damn
Re: Only In Africa! by tpia: 7:37am On Nov 05, 2008
Re: Only In Africa! by WesleyanA(f): 9:18am On Nov 05, 2008
DavidDylan:

President Mwai Kibaki of Kenya has just declared Wed 5th Nov a national public holiday in Kenya! shocked

What a gross misplacement of priorities!

people worship Obama everywhere it's disturbing. undecided. He is pretty much a demi-god for the liberals and a lot of ppl around the globe.
I support Obama but I don't think this kind of reception is good for him. It might be detrimental in the future since the ppl's expectations are WAY too high. I don't know what's going to happen next,
Re: Only In Africa! by Blackcat(f): 9:57am On Nov 05, 2008
Let him be praised!
Let streets be named after him!
Let kids be name after him!
Let the Black race go wild because of him!
Because he has achieved a fit that no Black man has ever achieved!
Give honour to whom honour is due!
Re: Only In Africa! by GoldCircle: 10:27am On Nov 05, 2008
Blackcat:

Let him be praised!
Let streets be named after him!
Let kids be name after him!
Let the Black race go wild because of him!
Because he has achieved a fit that no Black man has ever achieved!
Give honour to whom honour is due!
well said Blackcat!He deserves all of this & even more!
Re: Only In Africa! by DeepSoul(f): 10:29am On Nov 05, 2008
@Black Cat
No1 is trying to steal honour away from him

Even before the honour was gotten, the noise was just too much

I seriously thought I was the only one with these thoughts.

What happens if this man ends up performing below people's expectations?

The guy na human beign o!

Na the same red blood dey pass thru his veins.

Make we dey watch,
Re: Only In Africa! by rotimy(m): 11:04am On Nov 05, 2008
Deep Soul:

@Black Cat
No1 is trying to steal honour away from him

Even before the honour was gotten, the noise was just too much

I seriously thought I was the only one with these thoughts.

What happens if this man ends up performing below people's expectations?

The guy na human beign o!

Na the same red blood dey pass through his veins.

Make we dey watch,

PLS LET US CELEBRATE HIM.
JEWS IN AMERICA ARE THE BACKBONE OF AMERICA YET THEY ARE YET TO MAKE IT TO WHITE HOUSE.
SAME WITH THE LATIONOS, ASIANS AND THE ARABS.
A BLACK MAN IN A WHITE HOUSE? A DAY HOLIDAY IS NOT ENOUGH!
Re: Only In Africa! by merald(m): 11:18am On Nov 05, 2008
I heard that he is related to Ndi- Okereke, that his native name is Obioma grin

www.undergraduatesinbusiness.com
Re: Only In Africa! by favcom(m): 11:20am On Nov 05, 2008
It's cool to congratulate someone who just won an election. But we have the habit of overdoing things here.
Na wa o angry angry
Re: Only In Africa! by spikedcylinder: 11:27am On Nov 05, 2008
merald:

I heard that he is related to Ndi- Okereke, that his native name is Obioma grin

cheesy cheesy

Who else got the "I am Clement Obama, younger brother of Barack Obama" emails? cheesy
Re: Only In Africa! by JustGood(m): 11:31am On Nov 05, 2008
Only stupidity will make you declare a national holiday over the election of the president of another nation. Moronic goats
Re: Only In Africa! by Blackcat(f): 12:42pm On Nov 05, 2008
JustGood:

Moronic goats

JustGood you are one of the few people I admire secretly on nairaland (I also secretly admire lucabrasi )but to see you insult people because they are happy? wow!

Don't change my impression of you please!
Re: Only In Africa! by spikedcylinder: 12:55pm On Nov 05, 2008
Blackcat:

JustGood you are one of the few people I admire secretly on nairaland (I also secretly admire lucabrasi )but to see you insult people because they are happy? wow!

They are happy? Really? So to these people, happiness means they have to declare holidays when a President has been elected in another country? Why?

I see that Africans don't understand that Obama isn't after African interests but AMERICAN interests. I foresee lots and lots of dissapointment. undecided
Re: Only In Africa! by JustGood(m): 12:57pm On Nov 05, 2008
@ Blackcat,

It's not about their happiness. My wife is also over the moon with the Obama victory - I've actually known no peace in the house for the sake of Obama because almost every conversation has to have an Obamaish ending.

My grouse is that the idiots declared a Bank holiday shocked How much will their impoverished country lose as a result of the bank holiday for a foreign nation?
Re: Only In Africa! by JustGood(m): 1:00pm On Nov 05, 2008
Blackcat:

JustGood you are one of the few people[b] I admire secretly on nairaland [/b] (I also secretly admire lucabrasi )but to see you insult people because they are happy? wow!

Thanks kiss

I appreciate that
Re: Only In Africa! by MrCrackles(m): 1:04pm On Nov 05, 2008
This is one reason why African nations would never move forward

The consequences of the stupid national holiday would have an overall impact on the country's economy

Very soon, they would be begging American to help them

America didnt declare holiday, Kenya did, what a joke!

Misplaced priorities, lack of constructive vision, corruption and backwardness would continue to afflict African nations unless,

Kenya's president should bury himself in a pit latrine for being a big dumbo!
Re: Only In Africa! by Nobody: 1:33pm On Nov 05, 2008
Instead of declaring public holidays, Africans have a lot to learn from this victory. Only in America with less than a 15% black population can a black man be elected president. It shows the degree of civilization of the electorate. It's such a wonderful day to be black in America, and I am glad I voted and am alive to witness this. Think about this - with all the ethnic differences in Africa, can one dominant group unanimously elect a minority to lead them? Imagine a Hausa man from Kano married to an Urhobo woman, live in Delta State and winning the governorship election there. When do we look past our differences and work to make Nigeria great?

I am still not over the celebration of last night, and I am sure the excitement will linger for a long time but each time, I stop and think about my home country, Nigeria, and hope this helps to bring our people closer together and learn to see good in people who may be ethnically different from us.

- Gabriel (Texas, USA)
Re: Only In Africa! by Raymond88(m): 1:41pm On Nov 05, 2008
@Poster

Obama has his roots in Kenya, he has Kenyan blood in his vains and he just became president of the most powerful nation in the world, what's wrong with giving the people a day off on his behalf?
Re: Only In Africa! by MrCrackles(m): 1:42pm On Nov 05, 2008
Raymond88:

@Poster

Obama has his roots in Kenya, he has Kenyan blood in his vains and he just became president of the most powerful nation in the world, what's wrong with giving the people a day off on his behalf?

everyone is entitled to his or her own views but i think it is utter madness getting a day off just because Obama won an election!!
Re: Only In Africa! by Raymond88(m): 1:46pm On Nov 05, 2008
Not Obama! a son of the soil, it shows a unique unity most Africans possess ( or so i thought till i saw this thread sad)
Re: Only In Africa! by maedan(f): 1:53pm On Nov 05, 2008
Obama is not just the American president, he's everyone's president. At least, in our hearts smiley
Not just in Africa, but all over Europe. The goodwill here is amazing. Even Gordon Brown is claiming "Me and OBAMA have a lot in common."
Bruther, pleease! grin
Re: Only In Africa! by Moves: 1:56pm On Nov 05, 2008
No Big Deal; He is one of them; He acknowledges the kenyan in Him; He took time when he was nobody to seek them out, so giving people a holiday is not a bad thing as they celebrating him as one of them; whether he gives aid to africa or kenya will not make him less or more kenyan. Atleast they are celebrating something worth celebrating unlike we nigerians that tend to celebrate mediocrity and thieving leaders.
Re: Only In Africa! by arramyjay: 2:02pm On Nov 05, 2008
It is too much.
Re: Only In Africa! by tpia: 2:48pm On Nov 05, 2008
Re: Only In Africa! by spikedcylinder: 3:13pm On Nov 05, 2008
tpia:

Africans possess a unique unity?

Yes na, with Soccer. tongue undecided
Re: Only In Africa! by JustGood(m): 3:15pm On Nov 05, 2008
maybe i'm being naive here. Does it mean they should lose revenues? Have they calculated how much is lost as a result of a full working day declared a bank holiday?

Is this kind of mentality right especially for a nation that should be aspiring to better it's lot economically?
Re: Only In Africa! by ogwumgbe: 4:17pm On Nov 05, 2008
A day off for only kenyans is not enough. The whole black race suppose to declare a week holiday for this historic victory. I know that most of you that are negative about this victory have not being in an air plane not to talk of leaving your country to another place. If you've ever travelled, you will know what this victory means. Keep wallowing in your ignorance you ungrateful fools and enemies of progress.
I am even surprised to see what you people wrote about samuel Peters just because he lost to a ukranian man. Ungrateful elements, enemies of progress. You' ll never see good till u start acknowledging good.

1 Like

Re: Only In Africa! by ogwumgbe: 4:18pm On Nov 05, 2008
Bastards

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Israel vs Iran, Possible Scenario / Bin Laden Died Five Years Ago”- Cia Agent / Jose Mujica: The World’s ‘poorest’ President • Donates 90% Salary To Poor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.