Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,694 members, 7,955,626 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:10 AM

The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) (40809 Views)

Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past / Somali Nomadic Culture / Lions Killing Hyena's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by MadCow1: 11:38am On Nov 14, 2014
frodobee:
If they never picked your pocket while watching these performers then you never had a childhood in the Nigerian streets- you be ajebo!

If they ever picked your Pocket whilst watching these Hyena performers, Snake handlers and the Knife handlers wether as an adult or a Kid, then you no get STREET CREDIBILITY.. grin

Pick which person pocket?! angry When the Money dey inside socks.. grin

8 Likes

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Oblion(m): 11:42am On Nov 14, 2014
Them over plenty for here, come hausa land, katsina and zamfara to be precise, every blessed day, this guys de play with hyenas and snake's like na same mama born them all
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 11:42am On Nov 14, 2014
I spent part of my childhood in Northern Nigeria and believe you me, these hyenas are younger brothers to the ones in the remote parts of Kaduna, Gombe, Kebbi, Niger, Zamfara states.
Oyibo sef wan buy juju from us? Chai... Ife n'eme! Which kain using herbs to protect themselves from the animals they handle? Oyibo wan learn how naija dey mix juju now abi? Isalrite o!
There's no "herb" involved, it is juju/magani/ogwu (voodoo is junior to the Nigerian stuff).
These handlers are even kind not to unleash their animals on the wicked politicians that make our youth run away to Libya in order to cross over to Spain by boat and they drown.. All in the quest for greener pastures!

2 Likes

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Kimoni: 11:46am On Nov 14, 2014
I feel for all the wild animals that have turned to household pets overnight, how can man think of chaining hyenas, which man will agree to live in the wild?? sad
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by oluwasegun007(m): 11:49am On Nov 14, 2014
Dronedude:
booked stay clear

*Modified*

There are two things I can explain that makes this possible, which is jazz and guts. This wild animal have a mind of their own, which is not a friendly intent, believe me. #Whenstuntsgoesbad.
Why must we attribute any african success to jazz...am sure you've not heard & watch 'the LIoN ranger'....let appreciate our creativity

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by 1goodman: 11:50am On Nov 14, 2014
juju at work..naija I hail o.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by delman88(m): 11:51am On Nov 14, 2014
Krak:
The following are the accounts of photographer Pieter Hugo on his trip to Nigeria to investigate the Hyena Handlers.

The Naraative and pictures are from his book The Hyena and Other Men

[img]http://4.bp..com/-C3Tlj4UG1Fg/VCFXzIfZLMI/AAAAAAAACg0/sYifLvcN9MU/s1600/the-hyena-and-other-men-pieter-hugo-6.jpg[/img]

It all started with the picture above. A friend had emailed photographer Pieter Hugo this bizarre image taken on a cellphone in Lagos, Nigeria. The caption read, ‘The Streets of Lagos’, and a newspaper publishing the photo reported that the men were bank robbers, body guards, drug dealers and debt collectors.

The image went viral online and the myth of these street toughs in Nigeria with Hyenas grew. Pieter was captivated and knew he had to learn more.

Through a journalist friend, Hugo tracked down a Nigerian reporter, Adetokunbo Abiola, who said that he knew the Gadawan Kura as they are known in Hausa (a rough translation: ‘hyena handlers/guides’). A few weeks later, Pieter was on a plane to Lagos.

these guys are thieves, and dat is why they were chased away from festac town.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by BlackBaron: 11:51am On Nov 14, 2014
I remember seeing this in Lagos.

Things took a nasty turn later though when someone alleged they used the animals to intimidate and steal from people.

The guys had to abscond, but one of the hyenas was cornered, then killed with sticks and stones. It had a mouth guard on.

This happened in Festac.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Nov 14, 2014
All I see is desperate Men, child abuse and animal abuse.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by calddon(m): 12:04pm On Nov 14, 2014
The way Hyenas laugh ennh, very irritating.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by MadCow1: 12:05pm On Nov 14, 2014
CityNG:
All I see is desperate Men, child abuse and animal abuse.

White Man puts a Tiger on a Bicycle.. Makes a Bear jump through hoops.. Make Dolphins do synchronised swimming its called the Circus, Performers, Animal whispering, e.t.c..

White Man takes his Baby into a Crocodile pit.. its interesting..

Black Man does same - Desparate, Child Abuse, Animal abuse..

grin

WHY ALWAYS THE BLACK MAN?

13 Likes

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by calddon(m): 12:07pm On Nov 14, 2014
BlackBaron:
I remember seeing this in Lagos.

Things took a nasty turn later though when someone alleged they used the animals to intimidate and steal from people.

The guys had to abscond, but one of the hyenas was cornered, then killed with sticks and stones. It had a mouth guard on.

This happened in Festac.
Ya ur on point, i caught my first glimpse of the hyenas and their handlers in festac around 51 road just opposite NITEL office.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by menesheh(m): 12:08pm On Nov 14, 2014
Pretty amazing
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by waveskaaya(m): 12:08pm On Nov 14, 2014
Krak:
I started looking for situations where these contrasting elements became apparent. I decided to concentrate on portraits. I would go for a walk with one of the performers, often just in the city streets, and, if opportunity presented itself, take a photograph. We travelled around from city to city, often chartering public mini-buses.

I agreed to travel with the animal wranglers to Kano in the northern part of the country. One of them set out to negotiate a fare with a taxi driver; everyone else, including myself and the hyenas, monkeys and rock pythons, hid in the bushes.

When their companion signalled that he had agreed on a fare, the motley troupe of humans and animals leapt out from behind the bushes and jumped into the vehicle.

The taxi driver was completely horrified. I sat upfront with a monkey and the driver. He drove like an absolute maniac. At one stage the monkey was terrified by his driving. It grabbed hold of my leg and stared into my eyes. I could see its fear.
amazing

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Fairgodwin(m): 12:11pm On Nov 14, 2014
I didn't see this on TV. I wasn't told the story. I never read it on newspapers.
I witnessed it LIVE!! If you've lived in Lagos or from Lagos, things like this are common occurrence to us.
I was in secondary school back then, and if you've lived or schooled in a place called Agege before (in Lagos) you will know what I'm saying.
We used to go watch these guys perform with their hyenas after school hours; with their many dreaded looking hyenas and snakes. But the only bad thing is, your things could get missing right there in your pocket when you're carried away; whether it was charm or pick pockets, we wouldn't know. Phones and other things like wallets easily gets missing; and since phone was such a luxury I couldn't afford back then, I would go with just #20 or #50 in my pocket (my transport fare, if e like make e miss, I go trekk). It was so much fun and 'fear' at the same time, back then. Because sometimes they deliberately release the animals to chase you. And you know what? those guys could make the snakes disappear and reappear; but in most cases, they usually seal the mouths of the hyenas with a kind of metal protector.

#mytruestory

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by sherif4owo(m): 12:13pm On Nov 14, 2014
Pecca:
I'VE SEEN 'EM AT CLOSE QUARTERS MYSELF. YES! THEY ARE VERY MUCH AROUND AND AMONGST US!

when was that??
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by MadCow1: 12:16pm On Nov 14, 2014
Fairgodwin:
I didn't see this on TV. I wasn't told the story. I never read it on newspapers.
I witnessed it LIVE!! If you've lived in Lagos or from Lagos, things like this are common occurrence to us.
I was in secondary school back then, and if you've lived or schooled in a place called Agege before (in Lagos) you will know what I'm saying.
We used to go watch these guys perform with their hyenas after school hours; with their many dreaded looking hyenas and snakes. But the only bad thing is, your things could get missing right there in your pocket when you're carried away; whether it was charm or pick pockets, we wouldn't know. Phones and other things like wallets easily gets missing; and since phone was such a luxury I couldn't afford back then, I would go with just #20 or #50 in my pocket (my transport fare, if e like make e miss, I go trekk). It was so much fun and 'fear' at the same time, back then. Because sometimes they deliberately release the animals to chase you. And you know what? those guys could make the snakes disappear and reappear; but in most cases, they usually seal the mouths of the hyenas with a kind of metal protector.

#mytruestory

Has the thought that the performers and the pick-pocketers are not in the same crew?!

Thats the Pick-pockets are just opportunists that use their street shows to strike.

2 Likes

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Fairgodwin(m): 12:26pm On Nov 14, 2014
MadCow1:

Has the thought that the performers and the pick-pocketers are not in the same crew?!

Thats the Pick-pockets are just opportunists that use their street shows to strike.

I agree.

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by menesheh(m): 12:28pm On Nov 14, 2014
scary but cute
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by zonax(m): 12:43pm On Nov 14, 2014
Liekiller:
Very unique and fascinating! I have seen these pictures before, but I think they are a few years old? Anyone know if these guys are still around, and where?
Saw them along Gwarimpa in abuja two weeks ago.

2 Likes

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by deolu2000(m): 12:45pm On Nov 14, 2014
Well this act has been around for several years,in the late 90's i saw a wolf for the first with those hausa ppl(don't know their specific tribe),which they used for display of submission of the animals to them,the displays fascinates onlookers who in turn give them money,so i am not surprised one bit by this report.they are only our own version of that S.A man called lion ranger on Nat geo wild.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by zonax(m): 12:54pm On Nov 14, 2014
Kimoni:
I feel for all the wild animals that have turned to household pets overnight, how can man think of chaining hyenas, which man will agree to live in the wild?? sad
That's man doing what he was ordained to do-to dominate, have dominion. That was the first oder from God to man.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by zubby29(m): 12:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
did u see dat mans last paragraph."Nigeria sixth largest producer of oil yet in such dissary" hmm
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 12:57pm On Nov 14, 2014
Thank you white man. I never would have known, since we don't like to appreciate our own culture undecided

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by 9jatatafo(m): 1:17pm On Nov 14, 2014
Had the opportunity once seeing these wild animals handlers in Lagos, I was so shocked and I didn't wait a minute to watch them because I know how deadly and dangerous these animals are. OP nice pics though.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by spartacuz: 1:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
smileyI don chop hyena b4, my papa kill am 4 bush(soldier), I gt 3tooth of hyena, python d evrwer nau, monkey sha; ebola sha. cool
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by bukarmada: 1:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
See this one!

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 2:10pm On Nov 14, 2014
Interesting ...TGIF
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 2:25pm On Nov 14, 2014
used to see many of the hyenas and their masters in Benin city back then when coming back from school at the market...very fascinating.. hyenas look so small on tv like a dog are actually larger than the average human and very lethal..
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 2:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
PAGAN9JA:
[size=18pt]The Hyena (KURE) is a sacred animal in Hausa Religion. (white Hyena)[/size]

[size=20pt] @ bolded: it's Kura not Kure [/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Osun Lady Raised And Impregnated By Ghosts / Prince Eheneden Erediauwa Moves To Uzama Palace For Coronation Ritual (Pics) / The Ooni Of Ife Wearing The Aare Crown As He Parades The Ancient Ife Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.