Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,304 members, 7,954,209 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:18 PM

The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) (40806 Views)

Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past / Somali Nomadic Culture / Lions Killing Hyena's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by knightsTempler: 2:49pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hyena men feeding hyena in Harare Ethiopia

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Nov 14, 2014
ResourceMan:

A hyena can bite off the laps of an elephant like a biscuit bone. Hyena's have the strongest jaws among all animals in the whole wide world.
Yes they can! They are very strong, but they are scavengers: they (hyenas) only feast on dead meat, carcasses.

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by ugotuf(m): 2:56pm On Nov 14, 2014
Hyenas are deadly beasts with about the strongest jaw grips. Three of them will take on and make a minced meat of an adult lion.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 14, 2014
MadCow1:
Pick which person pocket?! angry When the Money dey inside socks.. grin

Lol! Sharp guy! Badt guy!
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 14, 2014
knightsTempler:
Hyena men feeding hyena in Harare Ethiopia
Harare is the capital of Zimbabwe. The capital of Ethiopia is Addis Ababa.

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Matttthew(m): 3:18pm On Nov 14, 2014
bestestgirl:
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
One day monkey go go market, e no go return
Lol....Don't make me laff..... Dem no be monkey naw. dem be human.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 14, 2014
If only I could be given a puppy(don't know wat their offsprings re called).. I really need me sm dangerous aniimal like dis as a pet..Oh Yea!!
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Gudiza(m): 4:06pm On Nov 14, 2014
EmpressaDelRei:
Yes they can! They are very strong, but they are scavengers: they (hyenas) only feast on dead meat, carcasses.
........except they're verrrry hungry. One Chance!
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 14, 2014
MadCow1:

White Man puts a Tiger on a Bicycle.. Makes a Bear jump through hoops.. Make Dolphins do synchronised swimming its called the Circus, Performers, Animal whispering, e.t.c..

White Man takes his Baby into a Crocodile pit.. its interesting..

Black Man does same - Desparate, Child Abuse, Animal abuse..

grin

WHY ALWAYS THE BLACK MAN?

I call things the way I see them. No apologies for my opinion making you uncomfortable.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by dasphinx1(m): 4:20pm On Nov 14, 2014
ResourceMan:

A hyena can bite off the laps of an elephant like a biscuit bone. Hyena's have the strongest jaws among all animals in the whole wide world.

True!!!!!! smiley
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 14, 2014
Gudiza:
........except they're verrrry hungry. One Chance
lol!
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by ElFenomeno1: 4:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
Smh.
Words fail me.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by MadCow1: 4:51pm On Nov 14, 2014
CityNG:

I call things the way I see them. No apologies for my opinion making you uncomfortable.

Your opinion making me uncomfortable? ! grin

You got jokes son..

3 Likes

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by prewtyjulie(f): 4:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
Wow, so dis guys r still around? I Remembad wen i was small used 2 c dis guys wit dia hyena n sum odas wit monkies n dis oda particular group dat use knives sharpnd in our presence to cut diffrnt parts of dia body n yet no blood cums out.
P.s i saw all in kad nt lag
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by 1stola: 4:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
HYENAS ARE THE MOST FASCINATING ANIMALS IN THE WORLD.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 14, 2014
My question is: who is the mother of that little girl? Is she an almajiri as well, or a ghost? Na waya oh!
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by maxtamazin: 7:20pm On Nov 14, 2014
Seldom did anyone express strong concern for the well-being of the creatures. Europeans invariably only ask about the welfare of the animals but this question misses the point. Instead, perhaps, we could ask why these performers need to catch wild animals to make a living. Or why they are economically marginalised. Or why Nigeria, the world’s sixth largest exporter of oil, is in such a state of disarray.

http://globalthots..com/2014/09/the-nomadic-hyena-handlers-of-nigeria.html?m=1
[/quote]

I disagree totally with the end of this report and the last paragraph. Why cant we look into the amazing skills required to handle and domesticate these animals. Skills passed down from generations. Am sure is not all about black magic.

The western world has their circus and trust me not all animals in the circus r treated fairly.

2 Likes

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 7:50pm On Nov 14, 2014
MadCow1:

Your opinion making me uncomfortable? ! grin

You got jokes son..

Be careful who you call Son, I may be old enough to father your Dad grin

And it was no joke. You and I are not friends so I see no reason to joke with you.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by corlin2(m): 8:06pm On Nov 14, 2014
#hyenanowadomesticdog
if you get the message
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by naturefellow(m): 9:03pm On Nov 14, 2014
"I agreed to travel with the animal wranglers to Kano in the northern part of the country. One of them set out to negotiate a fare with a taxi driver; everyone else, including myself and the hyenas, monkeys and rock pythons, hid in the bushes.

When their companion signalled that he had agreed on a fare, the motley troupe of humans and animals leapt out from behind the bushes and jumped into the vehicle."

I love this part. It plays out in my mind like a scene from a wild comedy :-)
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by knightsTempler: 9:27pm On Nov 14, 2014
EmpressaDelRei:

Harare is the capital of Zimbabwe. The capital of Ethiopia is Addis Ababa.

I meant to write Harar , auto spell changed it to harare.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by MadCow1: 9:48pm On Nov 14, 2014
CityNG:

Be careful who you call Son, I may be old enough to father your Dad grin

And it was no joke. You and I are not friends so I see no reason to joke with you.

Ahah!!!

Even when u are not joking, you are still funny!! grin

You are a natural.

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 14, 2014
MadCow1:

Ahah!!!

Even when u are not joking, you are still funny!! grin

You are a natural.

Groan...
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by psp2pc(m): 11:03pm On Nov 14, 2014
they robbed me once in ketu market lagos
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Pecca: 11:08pm On Nov 14, 2014
sherif4owo:

when was that??

LAST YEAR IN NASSARAWA STATE.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Pecca: 11:19pm On Nov 14, 2014
ugotuf:
Hyenas are deadly beasts with about the strongest jaw grips. Three of them will take on and make a minced meat of an adult lion.

I DISAGREE WT U. IT'D TAKE ABOUT TWO TIMES OF THAT TO SCARE A MALE LION FROM ITS KILL AND THAT'S IT. BUT FOR THEM TO WANT TO MAKE A MINCE MEAT OF A MALE LION WILL MEAN THEY ARE READY TO TAKE HEAVY CASUALTY. THEY ARE A LOT MORE WISER THAN THAT.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Pecca: 11:23pm On Nov 14, 2014
EmpressaDelRei:

YES, THEY ARE SCAVENGERS BUT THEY ARE WELL EQUIPPED FOR THE KILL. THEY LACK SPEED WHICH COMES QUITE HANDY IN THE SAVANNAH...BUT THEY ARE PATIENT JUST LIKE PAINTED WILD DOGS. THE ALPHA-FEMALE IS THE MATRIARCH.
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by MrDoGood(m): 12:28am On Nov 15, 2014
Liekiller:
Very unique and fascinating! I have seen these pictures before, but I think they are a few years old? Anyone know if these guys are still around, and where?

d last time i saw them was in 2011 at gwagwalada (agwandodo) in fct.

then i was a student at the university of abuja.

don't know their were about now

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 12:47am On Nov 15, 2014
knightsTempler:

I meant to write Harar , auto spell changed it to harare.
OK! Cheers
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by Nobody: 12:47am On Nov 15, 2014
Pecca:

YES, THEY ARE SCAVENGERS BUT THEY ARE WELL EQUIPPED FOR THE KILL. THEY LACK SPEED WHICH COMES QUITE HANDY IN THE SAVANNAH...BUT THEY ARE PATIENT JUST LIKE PAINTED WILD DOGS. THE ALPHA-FEMALE IS THE MATRIARCH.
Hmmmmmmm!
Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by AspDrone(m): 12:52am On Nov 15, 2014
Liekiller:
Very unique and fascinating! I have seen these pictures before, but I think they are a few years old? Anyone know if these guys are still around, and where?
Them dey my room na..o ga gann

1 Like

Re: The Nomadic Hyena Handlers Of Nigeria(Amazing Pictures) by tuetaraya(m): 9:37am On Nov 15, 2014
Krak:
The following are the accounts of photographer Pieter Hugo on his trip to Nigeria to investigate the Hyena Handlers.

The Naraative and pictures are from his book The Hyena and Other Men

[img]http://4.bp..com/-C3Tlj4UG1Fg/VCFXzIfZLMI/AAAAAAAACg0/sYifLvcN9MU/s1600/the-hyena-and-other-men-pieter-hugo-6.jpg[/img]

It all started with the picture above. A friend had emailed photographer Pieter Hugo this bizarre image taken on a cellphone in Lagos, Nigeria. The caption read, ‘The Streets of Lagos’, and a newspaper publishing the photo reported that the men were bank robbers, body guards, drug dealers and debt collectors.

The image went viral online and the myth of these street toughs in Nigeria with Hyenas grew. Pieter was captivated and knew he had to learn more.

Through a journalist friend, Hugo tracked down a Nigerian reporter, Adetokunbo Abiola, who said that he knew the Gadawan Kura as they are known in Hausa (a rough translation: ‘hyena handlers/guides’). A few weeks later, Pieter was on a plane to Lagos.
please I have seen that picture several times, it's not Nigeria. That journalist is lying.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Osun Lady Raised And Impregnated By Ghosts / Prince Eheneden Erediauwa Moves To Uzama Palace For Coronation Ritual (Pics) / The Ooni Of Ife Wearing The Aare Crown As He Parades The Ancient Ife Town

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.