Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Disaster; Pastors Wife And 4 Kids Died In A Fire Outbreak - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Disaster; Pastors Wife And 4 Kids Died In A Fire Outbreak (903 Views)

How This Lady Nearly Died In Her Bed (photos) / See What A Woman Did To Save Her Child From A Fire Outbreak(photo) / Pastor Snatch Another Pastors Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disaster; Pastors Wife And 4 Kids Died In A Fire Outbreak by bebek: 7:14pm On Sep 26, 2014
Pastor John Kayode of the Christ Apostolic Church (CAC), Otumara, Warri in Delta State has lost his wife and four kids to a midnight fire believed to have been caused by an electrical fault. The fire engulfed the mission building and part of the main church building, destroying property worth millions of naira

The entire three-bedroom mission house closely attached to the church auditorium was raised down, with no item recovered from the rubbles including the pastor’s wife and four children - two boys and two girls - all within ages eight and 18. The cleric was said to be at the church’s national programme, holding at Ikeji-Arakeji in Osun State, when the incident happened at about 12.30am on Thursday.

A neighbour, Bright December, who narrated the tragedy to journalists, said all rescue efforts of those who came early enough were fruitless because of the iron protectors on their door.

According to him, the general belief was that the fire must have been caused by an electrical fault in the area, which had forced people to work tirelessly the previous night, to solve the fluctuating power supply.

“Last night at about 11pm, some men were going around, it was like they noticed there was light problem, they were like trying to trace where the fault could have come from. On the long run, they came like three times and since they couldn’t get where the fault was coming from, they left. At about midnight to 12:30am, I heard the woman screaming for help, so we came out.

“When I got there, I saw the last daughter of the pastor, standing very close to the louvers, banging on them. There was no way I could help, I saw one rubber out there with which I started scooping water to put out the fire. Later on I saw the woman (pastor’s wife), struggling with the door, like a middle wooden door, she was shouting for help while she was trying to open it.

The three other children could not be seen struggling at all, it was like they had been choked with the smoke in the house because where they slept was where we found them."

He said the creams emanating from the mother and the last daughter were intense, but later waned until they gave up the ghost.

An eyewitness and church member, Mrs Stella Osama, said the remains of the pastor’s wife and four children were burnt beyond recognition.

Mrs Margeret Ichibo, a church member, who spoke to journalists said “I left the Church after prayers with her (Kayoda) on Wednesday. That was in the day. I rushed back few minutes to 1a.m., and fire fighters were just labouring to break in, but it was too late. “The bodies have been deposited at the Warri Central Hospital Mortuary.”

It was gathered that fire fighters and members of the Nigeria Police could only access the scene at 2.45 a.m, after the five had given up the ghost. Our correspondents also learnt fire fighters and NEMA officials arrived the scene about an hour after a neighbour alerted them.

Meanwhile, the Area Commander of Warri Area Command of the Nigeria Police, Hussein Rabiu, confirmed the incident, but said he was away in Asaba for a meeting. SOURCE: AIT
Re: Disaster; Pastors Wife And 4 Kids Died In A Fire Outbreak by EfemenaXY: 7:17pm On Sep 26, 2014
This is so sad.

RIP to the departed.
Re: Disaster; Pastors Wife And 4 Kids Died In A Fire Outbreak by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 26, 2014
So the eye witnesses could not break the louvres and the burglaries? sad sad

RIP to the dead
Re: Disaster; Pastors Wife And 4 Kids Died In A Fire Outbreak by EfemenaXY: 7:28pm On Sep 26, 2014
^^ I think he was referring to thick iron bars. Those can't be easily sawed into / broken.

So it seems the fear of armed robbers visiting has led to a lot of folks compromise fire safety (exits) in favour of "solid protection", which is no different from jailing yourself in your own home...
Re: Disaster; Pastors Wife And 4 Kids Died In A Fire Outbreak by breathless(m): 9:28pm On Sep 26, 2014
Turns out the people involved in this tragic incident is my cousins and their mum. I'm so deeply grieved since I heard this morning.
Re: Disaster; Pastors Wife And 4 Kids Died In A Fire Outbreak by toofine765: 9:44pm On Sep 26, 2014
breathless: Turns out the people involved in this tragic incident is my cousins and their mum. I'm so deeply grieved since I heard this morning.
so very sorry about that. May the good Lord accept their soul and grant the family the fortitude to bear the loss. Take heart.
Re: Disaster; Pastors Wife And 4 Kids Died In A Fire Outbreak by Nobody: 10:39pm On Sep 26, 2014
RIP to the deceased

(1) (Reply)

A Hilarious Phone Conversation With A Scam Artist (aka 419) / 23-year-old Father Tells His 24 Children To 'study Hard' / Here's Why You Dont Need To Panic About Bedbugs Prt 1 By Chogon Fumigation &pest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.