Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say (1040 Views)

Court Dissolves 18-year-old Marriage Over Incest / Why Incest Is On The Rise In Nigeria / Have You Got Any Reason Why You Think Incest Is Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by deflover(m): 7:20am On Sep 27, 2014
MAINZ, Germany -- An advisory board to Germany's government has called for a revision of the country’s incest law, which would end the criminalization of sex between siblings. The 26-member German Ethics Council's recommendations follow a controversial incest case, in which a brother and his half-sister had four children together — including two who are disabled. Patrick Stuebing, who met his half-sister when he was 24 and she was 16, served more than three years in prison after authorities deemed the relationship unlawful. “The majority of the German Ethics Council believes that it is not appropriate for a criminal law to preserve a social taboo,” Dr. Michael Wunder, a psychotherapist and member of the council, told NBC News. “But the ethics council does not recommend decriminalizing sex between parents and children.”

In its 90-page analysis [link in German], the council concluded that "the right of adult siblings to sexual self-determination in a consensual relationship weighs heavier in these cases than the abstract good of the family." It added that “neither the consequences for the family nor the possibility for descendants from such incestuous relationships can justify a ban under criminal law.” The panel's members include experts in "scientific, medical, theological, ethical, social, economic and legal concerns." German lawmakers were quick to voice concern over the recommendation. Elisabeth Winkelmeier-Becker, a member of Angela Merkel’s conservative CDU party, wrote on her website that "the legalization of incest among siblings would send a wrong signal."
- Andy Eckardt

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/incest-taboo-shouldnt-be-illegal-german-experts-say-n211391

hehehe na the oyinbo people wey Nigerians they like quote be this when it comes to culture or how to train pikin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by cutieberie1(f): 7:41am On Sep 27, 2014
can u imagine.hmmmmm.no. comments
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by ernie4life(m): 7:49am On Sep 27, 2014
so what the are saying is that brothers should marry sisters, medicaly it's not good, I read it somewhere, please if there is any medical expert in the house, he should help us with the medical implications
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by bennyrazz: 7:52am On Sep 27, 2014
Inbreeding is a taboo but it shouldn't be illegal.. I think the members of the advisory board are all committing incest thus their advice. You call something a taboo and you now went ahead to say it shouldn't be illegal? so a taboo is now legal? I know this can never happen in Nigeria.
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by deflover(m): 8:03am On Sep 27, 2014
yes these are the same people who want us to allow man to man or woman to woman marriage...you see that they are fuc..ked inside out angry angry angry

they dont have culture....they are more clueless than what they call us... angry angry angry angry angry

later if we no agree them go say them go withhold grants and Aids to africa grin grin grin grin
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by Nobody: 8:04am On Sep 27, 2014
deflover: yes these are the same people who want us to allow man to man or woman to woman marriage...you see that they are fuc..ked inside out angry angry angry

they dont have culture....they are more clueless than what they call us... angry angry angry angry angry

later if we no agree them go say them go withhold grants and Aids to africa grin grin grin grin

Can you even read?

Learn to read.

2 Likes

Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by cococandy(f): 8:15am On Sep 27, 2014
I think that law should be upheld.
One can argue that they are both adults and should decide for themselves who they want to spend their lives with.
That's ok as long as their decision doesn't affect anyone else.
But unfortunatley it will.
So no. They don't have the right bear offspring who have a high chance of being genetically deformed.
Just like it should be unlawful for two AS people to wed.
Unless they all agree to sterilzation before marriage.
That way their marriage will be between them alone and not involving innocent kids who didn't ask to be born with defects.
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 27, 2014
cococandy: I think that law should be upheld.
One can argue that they are both adults and should decide for themselves who they want to spend their lives with.
So no. They don't have the right bear offspring who have a high chance of being genetically deformed.
That way their marriage will be between them alone and not involving innocent kids who didn't ask to be born with defects.

Who is talking about marriage?
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:23am On Sep 27, 2014
Orisirisi!
Soon, it ll be mother to son & father to daughter.
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by deflover(m): 8:24am On Sep 27, 2014
carefreewannabe:
Can you even read?
Learn to read.

for real i cant read.....another one of the so called sitting on the fence people until they take over your men and culture....

[/quote]
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 27, 2014
deflover:

for real i cant read.....another one of the so called sitting on the fence people until they take over your men and culture....

Learn to read.
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by deflover(m): 8:28am On Sep 27, 2014
cococandy: I think that law should be upheld.

really are for real here.... born wont be affected ba as long as they dont put it in your face.....oya go mess ya brother na angry angry angry.....i can really see through your jellyfish of a brain angry angry angry angry >:....so instead of government to spend the limited funds on better things we should help they check which kid will not be deformed.....i can see you are not so much a reader like you claimed to be......and as long as they dont affect others with their decision.....i see....so the kids
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by cococandy(f): 9:13am On Sep 27, 2014
Haven't you heard of first cousins getting married?
Anyway inbreeding is within the context of marriage.
carefreewannabe:

Who is talking about marriage?
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by cococandy(f): 9:15am On Sep 27, 2014
Kai. You need to sleep off yesterday's wine from the club.
deflover:

really are for real here.... born wont be affected ba as long as they dont put it in your face.....oya go mess ya brother na angry angry angry.....i can really see through your jellyfish of a brain angry angry angry angry >:....so instead of government to spend the limited funds on better things we should help they check which kid will not be deformed.....i can see you are not so much a reader like you claimed to be......and as long as they dont affect others with their decision.....i see....so the kids

1 Like

Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 27, 2014
cococandy: Haven't you heard of first cousins getting married?
Anyway inbreeding is within the context of marriage.

In this case, inbreeding has nothing to do with the context of marriage.

Consenting adults in Germany are not prosecuted for having sexual intercourse if they are not married.
Consenting adult siblings are.

Nobody is discussing marriage between siblings, just whether consenting siblings should be prosecuted for having sexual intercourse.
The current government's stand is that they should.
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by cococandy(f): 9:26am On Sep 27, 2014
Well marriage or not, my opinion is that they should be prosecuted.
For obvious reasons as I've stated above.

What's your opinion and why?

carefreewannabe:

In this case, inbreeding has nothing to do with the context of marriage.

Consenting adults in Germany are not prosecuted for having sexual intercourse if they are not married.
Consenting adult siblings are.

Nobody is discussing marriage between siblings, just whether consenting siblings should be prosecuted for having sexual intercourse.
The current government's stand is that they should.
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by nwaobitex: 9:43am On Sep 27, 2014
Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 27, 2014
cococandy: Well marriage or not, my opinion is that they should be prosecuted.
For obvious reasons as I've stated above.

What's your opinion and why?

I just wanted to make sure that we all understand the discussion.
Nobody was discussing marriage between siblings in Germany.

I am very much against it. To remove the law that makes such unions / encounters illegal would make incest less of a taboo and this would have severe consequences for children and the society as a whole.

Sexual intercourse between siblings is very dangerous because they have a much higher risk of having disabled children. This would not only affect the children but also the society, which has to cover the costs for health treatment and education of such children.

Moreover, children need to have the security that se.x in families is illegal. A family must be a place of protection and the law has to ensure it. To allow se.x within families would open doors to se.xual abuse within families.

1 Like

Re: Incest Is 'taboo' But Shouldn't Be Illegal, German Experts Say by cococandy(f): 11:01am On Sep 27, 2014
Ok
carefreewannabe:

I just wanted to make sure that we all understand the discussion.
Nobody was discussing marriage between siblings in Germany.

I am very much against it. To remove the law that makes such unions / encounters illegal would make incest less of a taboo and this would have severe consequences for children and the society as a whole.

Sexual intercourse between siblings is very dangerous because they have a much higher risk of having disabled children. This would not only affect the children but also the society, which has to cover the costs for health treatment and education of such children.

Moreover, children need to have the security that se.x in families is illegal. A family must be a place of protection and the law has to ensure it. To allow se.x within families would open doors to se.xual abuse within families.

(1) (Reply)

Ladies, Whats Your Definition Of Sexy? / Young Girl Kills Mother After Telling Her To Cook / Marriage Proposal In A Marriage Reception. Ideas Needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.