Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,390 members, 7,815,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React (792 Views)

Nigerians React To Martin Onovo's Interview On Channels Today - Video / 54 Incredible Facts That You Might Not Know About Nigeria / Diezani Funny Memes Trends On Twitter - See How Nigerians React (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React by Sirniyeh(m): 10:10am On Sep 28, 2014
This is from punch newspaper. Now let's Nairalanders react

The future is bright
The state of the country is what you and I make of it.
Obviously, it has had its ups and downs. It has had its
many challenges. The future is still so bright, but the
politics of now is so wrong and threatening that future. My expectation and hope, is that politicians can stop thinking about themselves and think of their
grandchildren for a change.
— Prof. Pat Utomi, former presidential aspirant and
economic expert

No democracy, no development
Progress is not comparable with the opportunities in the country. The achievements are far behind the
possibilities. Up till now, even after 54 years, we can’t
have stable power and Internet connection. These
problems are rooted in the issue of democracy and
development. Without free, fair and transparent
elections, there is no way we can achieve democracy
and development.
— Alhaji Balarabe Musa, elder statesman

No progress
When you look at how old Nigeria was as an
independent nation, and compare it to other African
nations, even South Africa, you will see clearly that
Nigeria has issues. The issues that Nigeria has, I think,
are critical. The issues border on development as a
country. Nigeria is a huge country that was brought
together 100 years ago, not for the purpose of
developing Nigeria, but for the purpose of making
economic sense to the country that brought Nigeria
together. Almost 60 years after independence and
having stayed together as a country that was put
together, I do not think Nigeria has made any progress.
— Annkio Briggs, Niger Delta activist

It’s worth celebrating
At 54, we have come a long way. The experience of civil war, ethnic clashes, military regimes, religious crisis, bad and good governance to still remain as one entity is worth celebrating. I implore our leaders to do everything possible to make sure we progress as a
nation and also make our country a better place for all. I believe in one Nigeria.
— Nazareth Jesse, Nollywood actress

Long tale of frustration
On October 1, 1960, the British left the shores of Nigeria and eventually handed over the reins to Nigerians to govern themselves. But quite disappointingly, between 1960 and now, it has been a tale frustration and disappointment, because we have not been able to establish good governance in Nigeria. It has been a tale of various crises, including a civil war that we had to endure. We have not shown enough capacity to deliver the type of government that the colonial masters ran in Nigeria. We have not been able to replicate those types of government.
— Festus Keyamo, lawyer and human rights activist

Nigeria has lost track
God wants to help Nigeria. But that is not to say we must not recognise our predicament. Our predicament is that we have lost track of what nation-building is all about. Our situation about nation-building and unity is pathetic. We have forgotten about the history and geography of our country. The history and geography of a country that their colonial masters taught them are significant in the development of that country.
— Mohammed Adbulrahman, Arewa Consultative

Forum spokesperson

An under-achieving nation
Nigeria is a lamentable example of an under-achieving nation. It is tragic to see a country so richly blessed being unable to elevate to greatness. For those of us who love this country, it is heartbreaking to see the country seemingly eternally bedevilled by corruption, tribalism, religious conflicts and bad leadership. Only God can save Nigeria.
— Gbenga X-Adebija

Nigerians should believe in Nigeria
The songs we create encapsulate what our message to Nigerians should be. There is need for Nigerians to
believe in Nigeria just as we keep advocating in the
songs we sing. We must arise as a nation and stand
together as one.
— Collins Enebeli, President, Artiste Manager
Association of Nigeria

Progress in governance
There are areas in which we have laid some foundation for progress. Fifty-four years is short in the history of a nation. In spite of the challenges, there are areas where we can say some successes have been made like consolidating democratic government-the military to civilian transition. I think we’ve been okay since 1999. That is apparent, in spite of the challenges inherent in the system. But, we might not have done well in terms of building structures that would help democracy, especially with regards to political parties.
— Ledum Mitee, Niger Delta activist

Nigeria will remain one
God loves our country, even with the ups and downs the citizens face. Nigeria will remain one. We celebrated our centenary this year and I believe there is a great future ahead of us. We have patriotic and loyal citizens that would never do anything to harm the people. Our youths should shun illicit drugs as we celebrate 54 years as country.
— Wilson Ighodalo, anti-drug abuse crusader

Nothing to be happy about
There are other African countries that gained
independence the same year we did. We are supposed to be leading them. If at 54 we are still toddling, there is nothing to be happy about. The way forward is to diversify the economy and encourage more development. Elections should also be free and fair.
— Ibuchukwu Ezike, Civil Liberty Organisation

A great country
I wish Nigeria well at this point of our life. For those who try to pull this great country down, I pray they would be brought to justice sooner. Nigeria is a great country.
— Lancelot Imasuen, Nollywood director
Re: NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React by AKMoney1(m): 10:20am On Sep 28, 2014
HBD my beloved country.
Re: NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React by Nobody: 10:23am On Sep 28, 2014
Nigeria @54 is yet another opportunity for this country,another chance for nigerians to react positively.
We must take responsibility for the wrongs we have done to one another.
There is no more time for us to continue living in tribalism,nepotism,violence and corruption.
The time for change is now,the time to change the face of this country and for this change to come,we must unite and work together.
Hausa,yoruba,igbo and all other ethnic groups in this country and even foreigners in this beautiful land must work together with us.
We must no longer be referred to as a country of 'criminals'.
We must no longer be an epitome of corrupt practices.
We must no longer be divided.
A united Nigeria is the pride of africa, a united nigeria is the pride of the world and yes!
As we celebrate our 54years as an independent nation,i wish nigeria independence from violence,independence from tribalism,independence from crime,independence from corruption,independence from terrorism and independence from division.
GOD BLESS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA @54...........kasyn paulsyn
Re: NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React by Sirniyeh(m): 11:01am On Sep 28, 2014
Kasynpaulsyn1997: Nigeria @54 is yet another opportunity for this country,another chance for nigerians to react positively.
We must take responsibility for the wrongs we have done to one another.
There is no more time for us to continue living in tribalism,nepotism,violence and corruption.
The time for change is now,the time to change the face of this country and for this change to come,we must unite and work together.
Hausa,yoruba,igbo and all other ethnic groups in this country and even foreigners in this beautiful land must work together with us.
We must no longer be referred to as a country of 'criminals'.
We must no longer be an epitome of corrupt practices.
We must no longer be divided.
A united Nigeria is the pride of africa, a united nigeria is the pride of the world and yes!
As we celebrate our 54years as an independent nation,i wish nigeria independence from violence,independence from tribalism,independence from crime,independence from corruption,independence from terrorism and independence from division.
GOD BLESS THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA @54...........kasyn paulsyn

You fit a governorship seat! Your article reveals who you are within. Can I sponsor your election on bargain? Happy Independence

1 Like

Re: NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React by chibwike(m): 11:14am On Sep 28, 2014
books space, in case
Re: NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 28, 2014
As a Nation we have failed to grow.
As a people we have remain resilient
Irrespective of our challenges
I use these medium to SALUTE Nigeria services personnels who have made sacrifices continuously to keep these Nation as One entity
Your labour & sacrifice well not be in vain
21 Gun salute

Re: NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React by Sirniyeh(m): 12:21pm On Sep 28, 2014
Ibnsultan: As a Nation we have failed to grow.
As a people we have remain resilient
Irrespective of our challenges
I use these medium to SALUTE Nigeria services personnels who have made sacrifices continuously to keep these Nation as One entity
Your labour & sacrifice well not be in vain
21 Gun salute

Amen. I shall remember you when I get to other side of the planet
Re: NIGERIA @ 54: Nairalanders React by Nobody: 1:16pm On Sep 28, 2014
Sirniyeh:

Amen. I shall remember you when I get to other side of the planet
lol. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Islamic Council Says Women Existance Is Against The Will Of Allah / New Ekiti Governor Fayose To Appoint Special Adviser On Stomach Infrastructure / 2015: Ladoja, Alao-akala Take Battle To Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.