Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,645 members, 7,955,350 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:38 PM

Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. (2135 Views)

The Best Of The Atheists In Nairaland So Far / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 29, 2014
There is nothing to defend. Im not the one making a case for an invisible skydaddy that can only be heard nd accessed in the 'spirit'..
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by chibwike(m): 12:31pm On Sep 29, 2014
Ymodulus:

I never said I believe in religion of God did I?

Or sorry please am not getting your question
You making this religion thing look like thats wat God is all about.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Dbestmax(m): 12:34pm On Sep 29, 2014
chibwike: am not saying i dont care to know bout my believe, am just saying that we shud stop condeming some religion or God or even atheism coz we dont believe in it..just keep ur believe to ur self...and dont give me any reason why i shud serve God or why i shud belive in science...coz we end up saying the same thing everyday
No no no...brother nobody is doin dat here..
Its about expansion...No Arguments...jst tell me wat u believe in and y..and I tell u mine aswell...Any1 dat can't defend his or her belief was probably led there either by parents or peer group..its abt self actualization..To know wether ds is realy what u want to be in..I bet u afta this talk people must consider a change of heart from any dimension
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by MizMyColi(f): 12:35pm On Sep 29, 2014
Dbestmax:
Lol...hmmm...Then U need to go back to your first Love....And seek forgiveness for u've gone astray

My first love?
The one I talked and danced with this morning?
Even when I can't see his form with these eyes?

Oh, I forgot,
I see him everyday, he lives in me.
Is that the one I should go back too.

Why would I do that seeing as he never left me, seeing as I'm always welcomed, seeing as I'm not beefing him tongue

Lolest Hun.

I'm actually in a mood to confuse and be confused.

Catch my drift?
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by MizMyColi(f): 12:49pm On Sep 29, 2014
"We are like islands in the sea, separate on the surface but connected in the deep."
- William James
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Javanian: 3:33pm On Sep 29, 2014
chibwike: whats the difference between believing in God, and believing in religion, hope u knw they re two diff tinz.

religion - /rɪˈlɪdʒ(ə)n/
noun
1. the belief in and worship of a
superhuman controlling power, especially a
personal God

Until you write your own dictionary, they remain the same.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by chibwike(m): 3:41pm On Sep 29, 2014
Javanian:

religion - /rɪˈlɪdʒ(ə)n/
noun
1. the belief in and worship of a
superhuman controlling power, especially a
personal God

Until you write your own dictionary, they remain the same.
so u literally saying that God is religion and religion is God
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Javanian: 3:45pm On Sep 29, 2014
chibwike: so u literally saying that God is religion and religion is God

Yes, if that is how the holy spirit interpreted that dictionary definition to you.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Ymodulus: 7:36pm On Sep 29, 2014
Javanian:

Yes, if that is how the holy spirit interpreted that dictionary definition to you.

My javanian

1 Like

Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Sep 29, 2014
Dbestmax: If u call yourself an Atheists defend yourself here by letting us know what you believe in since you believe there is no God... #Ymodulus and #Mizmycoli

I believe in intelligence, curiosity, questioning every ideas,teachings and philosophies before accepting them.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Nobody: 8:54pm On Sep 29, 2014
Macelliot: I am fed up with all these atheists.

Buhahahahahahahahahahahaha!! Kill us all!

Abeg na joke I dey joke wo. Atheists have only one life.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Nobody: 8:59pm On Sep 29, 2014
I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

1 Like

Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Dbestmax(m): 10:19am On Sep 30, 2014
ifeness:

I believe in intelligence, curiosity, questioning every ideas,teachings and philosophies before accepting them.
So wats ur point Exactly....
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Dbestmax(m): 10:21am On Sep 30, 2014
MizMyColi:

My first love?
The one I talked and danced with this morning?
Even when I can't see his form with these eyes?

Oh, I forgot,
I see him everyday, he lives in me.
Is that the one I should go back too.

Why would I do that seeing as he never left me, seeing as I'm always welcomed, seeing as I'm not beefing him tongue

Lolest Hun.

I'm actually in a mood to confuse and be confused.

Catch my drift?
Lol....Mycoli wat u nid is a Hot sex in a jaccuzi...Fly jor
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by logicboy01: 10:55am On Sep 30, 2014
Dbestmax:
Lol....Mycoli wat u nid is a Hot sex in a jaccuzi...Fly jor

I concur grin grin
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Impulse80(m): 2:11pm On Oct 01, 2014
MizMyColi:

Lolest

If it makes more sense to you, I'd say God gave me life.

But then, come to think of it, how am I supposed to know exactly where my life comes from, where exactly does all life come from.

I believe there's a creator, but how much do we even know about this creator?
Apart from the bible and those voices in our head, how do we get to know this creator, like really believe in Him because we see and hear him?

Eiiishhhhhhh, I'm confused already cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Look Hun.

I believe in the creator, but I like to think of myself as religionless.
My beliefs are still evolving wink
seems there is one who shares my opinion. I am not an atheist yet I know the religions practiced today are too warped and distorted.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by MizMyColi(f): 2:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
Impulse80: seems there is one who shares my opinion. I am not an atheist yet I know the religions practiced today are too warped and distorted.

Does this resonate?

Just check out his blog when you can wink @ www.jimpalmerblog.com/

Here's an excerpt from there. Just got to see it this morning. I TOTALLY Relate.

[size=14pt]5 things that may happen on your spiritual journey that you don’t need to feel guilty about:[/size]

As people shed religion and walk in freedom, they can
feel guilt about the changes they are going through.
Thinking about this I identified 5 things not to feel
guilty about on your spiritual journey.

1. You may discontinue your active involvement in a
church or religious organization.
This doesn’t
necessarily have to be some sort of judgment
or condemnation against the church or organization
you were part of, but a choice you make because your
involvement no longer relates to or supports where
you are on the journey, or may be an obstacle and
hindrance to it.

2. You may grow weary of incessant God talk. It’s
possible there will be times when you grow sick of the
constant theological discussion and debate, and the
never-ending wheel of new and improved concepts,
beliefs, understandings, teachings, etc. At some point
it all might sound like, “Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah…”

You might fall dead to the need to be constantly
figuring out things with your mind or in your head.
One day you might wake up and say, “Okay, I’m done!”
Don’t feel bad about this. It actually may be a very
important milestone in your spiritual journey. In my
view, theology is not even the best way by which God
and spiritual truth is known. It may be that subject of
“God” as a whole feels a bit overdone and boring, but
this is only because you were taught to equate God
with all that blah blah blah stuff.

3. You may find that the very people your religion
judged and condemned are the people you find the
most interesting and enjoyable.

[Ditto: Apatheist, Xcapist, Goofyone Phillip wink]

Once you come out
from under the judgmental labels, views and
stereotypes you learned through religion, you start
realizing how much you truly like and enjoy the
people you were taught to hate. This is a good and
liberating aspect of shedding religion. For too long
you were shut yourself off from a lot of beautiful and
extraordinary people in this world to enjoy and learn
from.

4. You may find and express a rebellious or defiant
part of you that has been dormant.
Don’t feel bad
about this. Too often religion turns people into nice,
compliant, repressed, timid, inhibited, mannerly,
obedient, fearful, amiable, submissive people. By the
way, I would not use any of these words to describe
Jesus. Here’s the deal, you can be a loving,
compassionate, respectful and kind person AND be a
rebellious, defiant, passionate, disobedient,
subversive, nonconformist, mischievous, self-willed,
fully expressed, freethinker, heretic, and free spirit
human being.

5. You may find less fulfillment in religious things, and
more satisfaction in human things. It’s okay and good
to be human, and to enjoy each moment of your
human journey. Religion caused many people to
create a false division between “sacred” things and
“secular” things. There is no such line. All of life is
sacred, spiritual, and divine. There’s no need to
defend, theologize, or spiritualize your human
experience. Just live it! That is enough. Life is made
complete by you living each moment. There’s no need
to maintain a running commentary about how God is
part of it. God IS part of it. Life and God are
inseparable. End of story. It’s okay to enjoy life,
experience delight and pleasure, do the things you
enjoy doing, and that breathe life into you, whatever
those things may be.

Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by davien(m): 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2014
hmmm.... i have no belief...that's it....
Religion...gods...spirits...and the supernatural i found out were figments of a time when human beings were scared and confused about a lot of things....namely death...
So after realizing such i began studying every bit of information i possibly could to weed out anymore inaccuracies of reality for my best interest.....
I often try to also let people come to such a realization on their own....most are emotionally attached to their dogma to question themselves....
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by plaetton: 7:02pm On Oct 01, 2014
Dbestmax: If u call yourself an Atheists defend yourself here by letting us know what you believe in since you believe there is no God... #Ymodulus and #Mizmycoli

What are your beliefs regarding Zeus, Santa Clause and the Mighty Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM)?

Therein lies your answer to your Op.

1 Like

Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
Nobody can disprove the existence of the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!! tongue You wanna try? Let's go there...
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by BodyKiss(m): 9:57pm On Oct 01, 2014
I believe that this life is the only life we have, that the universe is a natural phenomenon with no supernatural side, and that we can live ethical and fulfilling lives on the basis of reason and humanity.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Impulse80(m): 2:45pm On Oct 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

Does this resonate?

Mostly. you are one of a kind actually, women don't Argue against religion that much they prefer being told what God says by pastors and imams. I know there's a creator because it's the only way you can appreciate science. But the religions today are just too nebulous or maybe "too much book don scatter my brain".
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by MizMyColi(f): 2:49pm On Oct 16, 2014
Impulse80:
Mostly. you are one of a kind actually, women don't Argue against religion that much they prefer being told what God says by pastors and imams. I know there's a creator because it's the only way you can appreciate science. But the religions today are just too nebulous.

Well, everyone differs.
We just give them grace.

Exactly @TheEmboldened
I wonder what the fuss is all about, really.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Impulse80(m): 10:41pm On Oct 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

Well, everyone differs.
We just give them grace.

Exactly @TheEmboldened
I wonder what the fuss is all about, really.
Just out of curiosity are you in Nigeria? If yes where are u based?
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by MizMyColi(f): 10:48pm On Oct 16, 2014
Impulse80:
Just out of curiosity are you in Nigeria? If yes where are u based?

yeah, I live in Nigeria, Lagos precisely.

Why?

Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Impulse80(m): 11:19pm On Oct 16, 2014
MizMyColi:

yeah, I live in Nigeria, Lagos precisely.

Why?

Nothing really just can't believe there is a female in Nigeria who doesn't paint just her face.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by MizMyColi(f): 11:22pm On Oct 16, 2014
Impulse80:
Nothing really just can't believe there is a female in Nigeria who doesn't paint just her face.

lol

Thank you. Thanks.
There're many of us, I think.
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Nobody: 8:05am On Oct 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

lol

Thank you. Thanks.
There're many of us, I think.
many? I've only seen two so far. Have you met any?
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by MizMyColi(f): 8:30am On Oct 18, 2014
Xcapist:
many? I've only seen two so far. Have you met any?

shocked shocked

Plus me, that's 3!

*dancing azonto*
*singing*
We gon set the world on faya o, o o o grin grin

Are they NLers?
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 18, 2014
MizMyColi:

shocked shocked

Plus me, that's 3!

*dancing azonto*
*singing*
We gon set the world on faya o, o o o grin grin

Are they NLers?

ah! 2 including you ni o. There's one other lady in this section, I can't even remember her moniker now because you hardly see her jostling among us guys, but sha when she speaks... nna menh, that geh over gather common sense and I think she's even a teenager. I wish I saw more of her around here.

Then there's another one but she's not based in naija and I think the post is about naija based heathen ladies, abi?

Anyways these are the ones I've seen, but I'm also a newbie on this section so I may not know all of them.

Toh, oya, Naija based heathen babes come and answer ur rokol oo...
Re: Atheists In Nairaland "Defend Your Belief".. by MizMyColi(f): 9:04am On Oct 18, 2014
Xcapist:

ah! 2 including you ni o. There's one other lady in this section, I can't even remember her moniker now because you hardly see her jostling among us guys, but sha when she speaks... nna menh, that geh over gather common sense and I think she's even a teenager. I wish I saw more of her around here.

Then there's another one but she's not based in naija and I think the post is about naija based heathen ladies, abi?

Anyways these are the ones I've seen, but I'm also a newbie on this section so I may not know all of them.

Toh, oya, Naija based heathen babes come and answer ur rokol oo...

I would give anything to find one who is exactly like me or close to.
Anything!
I've only met guys so far #SadFace

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Humans Still Going To Have Freewill In Heaven? / Today Is Advent Sunday in Catholic & Anglican:Church Calendar Begins Today / Donald Trump(US Presidential Aspirant) Calls Jesus "A Loser"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.