Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? (2248 Views)

Richard Quest: Okonjo-Iweala Was Nigeria's Best Finance Minister / Nigeria Independence Day Celebration In Kaduna (photos) / Nigeria's Independence In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Sep 29, 2014
Some people believee Nigeria would Have been a better country if only we gave the British more time to Rule and govern us..
See the case of South Africa, they gained independence in 1991 which allowed the Whites to establish and develop the country in terms of Infrastructure, health,education and Other Social amenities before they left in 1991..
We are living witnesses to the Fact that most of the Infrastructure and amenities provided by the British are still existing due to the quality and durability of the materials and accountability present in their administration.. Nigeria was not yet mature when we a asked for independence some 54 years ago.
Do you think if Nigeria had gotten independence later and extended the stay of the Whites perphaps till the 1980's ,it would have been the best for Nigeria
Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by marieolae(f): 9:48pm On Sep 29, 2014
Definitely I can agree with this in a way.I think if we were colonized more, we would have been reaping the benefits countries like UK, USA and south africa are reaping now. But on the other hand I totally disagree with this. I think u are suffering from modern slavery! Do u think its only the white man that can do great things for you? All the things that the british introduced was for their benefits. They milked our country of money, people etc and tried their best to erradicate our traditional forms and laws. Mehn I just think u should look at ur history.
Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by tosyne2much(m): 10:06pm On Sep 29, 2014
Wisely said marieolea.. In addition, we were in haste to fight for independence when we were still crawling as a nation.. I believe if the Britains colonized us for a length period, Nigeria would have been developed to a reasonable extent.. However, we refer to colonization as enslavery and I can tell you that those who tolerated the enslavery are now reaping in abundance..

2 Likes

Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by Dbestmax(m): 10:54am On Sep 30, 2014
Op...do u think if the whitemen stayed longer in dis Nation dat u wud still find ur so called petroleum that u boast of....How much of natural resources do you think S.A is still left of...SouthAfrica never intentionally left the White to rule dem...Listen the Whites in SouthAfrica almost outnumbered their own native citizens...S.Acans lacked Cohesion in their midst and were never able to come to a consensus cos of the various tribes present in the country both with the Bantu immigrants ...dey wia rada afraid of wat d outcome might be If they started d fight for independence...I put it to u dat if dey had d chance dey wud hav sought independence earlier..
Our Independence never came too early...cos d earlier we begin 2 learn that we responsible for our own growth..the better for us...
Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by McLove(m): 12:05pm On Sep 30, 2014
It was not early, just that we got it on a platter of gold
Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by harrwix(m): 12:36pm On Sep 30, 2014
This same question has been on my mind for so long now. there is a saying that goes "it's the bad workman who always complain of his tools". Nigeria never got their independence too early.

Reason why I say so is because we already had a form of leadership before the whites came in and imposed their structure on us

Our problem is not d "timing" it's in "ourselves". even if the whites had ruled us till the late 90's and we refuse to be united, patriotic, honest, hardworking e.t.c , we will still find ourselves in the mess we are today.

Bottom line is, lets change our mentality as Nigerians and do the right thing and our fortune is bound to change.
Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by hushmail: 2:29pm On Sep 30, 2014
happy dat all posters above r united their opinion dat our independence was not early

bottom line is colonialism is slavery n shld b abolished.

Our problems r 9jarians, if we all can change 4 d better we will ve a better con3

happy independa 9ja cheesy
Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by agriboom: 2:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
Ans: not really but the breakup is too late angry
Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
Iamsynord:

Some people believee Nigeria would Have been a better country if only we gave the British more time to Rule and govern us..
See the case of South Africa, they gained independence in 1991 which allowed the Whites to establish and develop the country in terms of Infrastructure, health,education and Other Social amenities before they left in 1991..
We are living witnesses to the Fact that most of the Infrastructure and amenities provided by the British are still existing due to the quality and durability of the materials and accountability present in their administration.. Nigeria was not yet mature when we a asked for independence some 54 years ago.
Do you think if Nigeria had gotten independence later and extended the stay of the Whites perphaps till the 1980's ,it would have been the best for Nigeria

The problem with people like you is that you are so colonized mentally, with such racial inferiority complex, that it turns you stup.id, and you start seeing ''infrastructure provided by the whites'' where NONE exist. If they do, tell us the infrastructure they left. Don't bother mentioning the railway. It was a network built from north to the southern ports as a means to evacuate your resources abroad, not to integrate the economy. What roads did they build? Expressways? Power plants? Hospitals? NAME ONE. Between 1897 and 1960 they built not one university in the entire country, even as they were evacuating your resources and getting paid. So what change of heart were you expecting would have occurred from 1960 till date among the colonial rulers? Stop looking at South Africa. Even by 1950 South Africa was already a developed nation. Unlike in Nigeria and their other black territories, the whites re-invested the proceeds of SA exports in the country, for the simple reason that they took it to be ''their home'' having settled there in large numbers. So stop assuming that merely having white faces at the helm in your country means they will work magic. If they do not consider it in their interest, they will do nothing. And it was because they were doing precisely nothing, that the founding fathers - Zik, Awo, Enahoro and co fought so hard to chase them out!

The labours of our heroes past shall never be in vain.

2 Likes

Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 30, 2014
@Donnike shld I start mentioning the infrastructures
Re: Was Nigeria Independence Too Early ?? by philantoxx(m): 9:43pm On Sep 30, 2014
probably question should be.is Nigeria really independent?the carrot given to us was political freedom,while the salient economic independence still dangles in the hands of the colonialist.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: 5 Pdp Govs To Visit Obj, Ibb / What Many Nigerians Don't Know About Asari Dokubo / How Goodluck Jonathan Destroyed APC's Momentum - A Nairalander's Analysis.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.