Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,687 members, 7,809,597 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? (733 Views)

An Understanding Of The Story Of The Man Beating His Wife Because Of A Dog / Dad Begs For Forgiveness For Defiling His Daughters. / A Touching Story Of True Love And Genuine Forgiveness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by mcdreeezy: 1:30am On Sep 30, 2014
As I went through this thread www.nairaland.com/1925336/woman-wrong-man-being-overly I was reading the comments when something crossed my mind.

Some people said that the man should forgive the wife, that it was an accident and it could have happened anywhere. It is true. But what really does forgiveness mean? Does it mean he should forget the fact that something bad happened despite the measure he took to prevent it? Does it mean he should do away with any grudges he has against the wife and they should continue living as before? What if he says he has forgiven the wife but can't continue the marriage, is that really forgiveness? There are many scenarios one can use.

If your friend hurts or betrays you and after pleading for your forgiveness, you finally forgive him/her but choose to keep your distance from that person, is that really forgiveness? Personally, I believe forgiveness is when you do away with grudges you have against someone (maybe the person hurt you badly) and then relate with the person on a clean slate (not too friendly or too mean).

What is your understanding of "forgiveness"?
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by Nobody: 1:59am On Sep 30, 2014
Overlooking things,and pretending as if it never happened.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by mcdreeezy: 2:09am On Sep 30, 2014
Yomieluv: Overlooking things,and pretending as if it never happened.
If that man in the other thread says he has forgiven the wife but can't continue the marriage, is that really forgiveness?
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by naturally: 3:39am On Sep 30, 2014
One should learn to forgive, but its not that easy to forget cos we are human
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by Nobody: 3:43am On Sep 30, 2014
mcdreeezy:
What is your understanding of "forgiveness"?
It simply implies the ability to leting go the feelings of being offended and move on as if you have never been wronged !!! .....

It is powerful not to forget sha !!
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by Nobody: 3:50am On Sep 30, 2014
mcdreeezy: If that man in the other thread says he has forgiven the wife but can't continue the marriage, is that really forgiveness?
No, he has not fulfilled Forgiveness in its entirety !! ... Forgiveness is like an eraser which clean an unwanted lines and makes the sheet looks like the strokes never happened !
To me, ''Forget'' is a core attribute of forgiveness but we are human , we may let go but we will still remember and easily feel hurt once again !!!
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by Nobody: 7:10am On Sep 30, 2014
mcdreeezy: If that man in the other thread says he has forgiven the wife but can't continue the marriage, is that really forgiveness?
no,that isn't forgiveness,in forgiveness,old things will pass away,and everything would be restored to default mode.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by mcdreeezy: 7:20am On Sep 30, 2014
donroxy: It simply implies the ability to leting go the feelings of being offended and move on as if you have never been wronged !!! .....

It is powerful not to forget sha !!
True talk
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by mcdreeezy: 7:24am On Sep 30, 2014
donroxy: No, he has not fulfilled Forgiveness in its entirety !! ... Forgiveness is like an eraser which clean an unwanted lines and makes the sheet looks like the strokes never happened !
To me, ''Forget'' is a core attribute of forgiveness but we are human , we may let go but we will still remember and easily feel hurt once again !!!
Hmm.... But I believe if one has put away the grudges he has, then it's forgiveness. He doesn't necessarily need to continue the marriage if he feels he can't cope with the memory of what happened
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by mcdreeezy: 7:37am On Sep 30, 2014
Yomieluv: no,that isn't forgiveness,in forgiveness,old things will pass away,and everything would be restored to default mode.
Somethin happened to me some months back, a lecturer sent me out of his class bcuz I had earphones plugged to my ears while he was in class and he said he didn't want me in his class for the next 3 weeks. I later went to apologize to him in his office and he said there's no problem but I must serve the punishment. Tho I didn't like it, I saw it as a fair punishment bcuz somethin worse could have happened.

So are u sayin bcuz he didn't revert the punishment, then he didn't forgive me?

We are humans and we're not perfect, forgiving is somethin we have to do but forgetting is the hardest to do bcuz the memory will always be there as we can't really choose what to remember or to forget. In the case of marriage, I believe one can forgive the spouse and still file for divorce.

I stand to be corrected tho
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by Exjoker(m): 7:44am On Sep 30, 2014
Followin
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by mcdreeezy: 7:59am On Sep 30, 2014
Exjoker: Followin
Kindly share your opinion
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 30, 2014
mcdreeezy: Hmm.... But I believe if one has put away the grudges he has, then it's forgiveness. He doesn't necessarily need to continue the marriage if he feels he can't cope with the memory of what happened
That shows the difference between Man and God !

When you forgives someone , your memory must have erased the entire issues leading to the offence and that phase of their life would be skipped as if it never happened but you can't continue to live with such person so offended you , then you haven't let go totally then you haven't forgive totally but :

Partially !!
Re: What Is Your Understanding Of Forgiveness? by mcdreeezy: 9:56am On Sep 30, 2014
donroxy: That shows the difference between Man and God !

When you forgives someone , your memory must have erased the entire issues leading to the offence and that phase of their life would be skipped as if it never happened but you can't continue to live with such person so offended you , then you haven't let go totally then you haven't forgive totally but :

Partially !!
Ok then

(1) (Reply)

Is It Too Early To Demand Money From Your Uncle? / Must Read For All - Agony Of Being A Man / See The Baby Born With No Eyes (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.