Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,441 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:56 PM

I Have No Hand In $9.3m Seized In South Africa, Oristejafor Insists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Have No Hand In $9.3m Seized In South Africa, Oristejafor Insists (574 Views)

Senate Rules: I’ve No Hand In Alteration — Ekweremadu / We Have No Hand In Ekweremadu’s Invitation By Police – APC / Buhari Has No Hand In Impeachment Crisis – Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Have No Hand In $9.3m Seized In South Africa, Oristejafor Insists by OlusolaWarrior: 2:03pm On Sep 30, 2014
The President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, yesterday broke his silence over the controversy surrounding the $9.3 million involving his private jet, saying he had no hand in the deal.

Oritsejafor, who spoke during the National Executive Council (NEC) meeting of CAN at the National Christian Centre, Abuja, regretted that there had been attempts in the media to link him with the incident by mischievous elements, adding that he had kept quiet all the while because he needed to explain his position to the church which is his primary constituency. This came as a group, Stop Impunity in Nigeria (SIN), yesterday called on members of the National Assembly to put aside partisan political considerations and political party differences and act in unison in the national interest to ensure a thorough investigation into the US$9.3 million cash seized by South African authorities early this month.

Oritsejafor in his address at the meeting, a copy of which was e-mailed to THISDAY in Kaduna, the CAN President who had come under serious attack over the incident declared that he was not a party to the movement of $9.3 million from Nigeria to South Africa to purchase arms and ammunition.

“I wish to assure you that I will not do anything to tarnish the image of Jesus Christ or compromise the divine standard of the church.
“As you are all aware, the media has been awash in the past few days about an unfortunate incident involving the movement of funds from Nigeria to South Africa. In the unfortunate news reports, attempts have been made to link me directly with the transaction.

“So far, I have refrained from making any direct public response pending the time that I would brief the leaders if the church and explain my position on the issues to them.

“I believe that the primary institution that I owe any explanation is the church,” he said.

Oritsejafor explained further that “at the risk of being seen to be defending myself, I wish to confirm to the distinguished leaders if the church that the Bombardier Challenger 601 aircraft in question is mine. The aircraft was presented to me as a gift by members of our congregation and ministry partners world wide at the 40th anniversary of my call into the ministry.

“May I be permitted to stress that the aircraft was not given to me by the President of Nigeria, neither was it a settlement for any political favour or patronage.

“With the benefit of hindsight, it is because the president of the country was a guest in our church during the anniversary celebration when the Jet was presented to me that it was construed to imply that it was a gift from the President of the country.”

He declared that “the President of Nigeria has nothing to do with the gift of the aircraft. By the way, I still wonder why all those saying this still cannot come out to show proof so that the matter can be put to rest once and for all. Let me say that this might be an issue of the courts in the near future.”

Explaining the circumstances that led to the involvement of his aircraft, the CAN president said: “In order to ameliorate the cost of maintenance of the aircraft, I sought and got permit to allow the aircraft fly in and out of Nigeria.

“Based on this, I leased the aircraft on August 2, 2014, to a company to run it. It was the leasee that entered into an agreement with the people who carried out the transfer of funds. Having leased the aircraft to the Green Coast Produce Company Limited, any transaction undertaken with the aircraft can no longer be attached to me.

“In as much as I am shocked and distressed by the incident, I wish to appeal to Christians in Nigeria to remember that a war has been waged against the Nigerian church. This war is being fought on many fronts and this unfortunate incident is another dimension in the assault against the church.

“It is clear that those who manipulated this conspiracy desire to create a schism in the church.”

According to him, “the media hype and the deliberate distortion of information that followed it confirmed that forces that desperately desire to cause division and disunity in the church are at work. Even the devil knows that a house that is divided cannot stand.

“As Christians, we need unity in the church now more than ever. We are witnessing inhuman attacks by religious extremists against Christians in the northern part of the country, while Christian infrastructure is being destroyed in hundreds.

“If we permit the enemy to divide us, our chances of corporate survival shall be severely threatened.
“Distinguished leaders of the church, please permit me to state clearly before God and before all of you here present today, that I am not a party to the movement of $9.3 million from Nigeria to South Africa to purchase arms and ammunition. I am not part of the deal. I know nothing about it.”

The CAN president commended the Catholic Church for its support, particularly in refuting a distorted news item by mischievous elements in the media.

He appealed to heads of blocs that constitute CAN and head of denominations and Christian leaders at different levels and spheres of influence to use their good offices to caution and control their subordinates and followers from making public statements that will further polarise the church and strengthen the arms of enemies of the church.

Quoting Matthew Chapter 18 verses 15 to 20, Oritsejafor said: “If I offend you or you offend me, instead of talking to media, let us talk to each other within the house of God.”

Meanwhile, in a statement issued in Lagos, SIN condemned the disruption of proceedings at House of Representatives where some legislators blocked attempts to initiate an investigation into the matter.

The Executive Director of Media Rights Agenda (MRA), Mr. Edetaen Ojo and a member of the Campaign’s Steering Committee, said: “Any attempt by the National Assembly acquiesce to sweeping such a horrendous scandal under the carpet would amount to a brazen act of impunity which would only further damage the image of Nigeria as well as the credibility of the National Assembly.”

He contended that from the information available so far, it was clear that laws had been broken, in Nigeria and in South Africa, and therefore called on both chambers of the National Assembly “to immediately institute an independent and transparent investigation into the matter and use their enormous powers to ensure that those found culpable are brought to justice.”
Citing Section 88(1)(b)(ii) and (2)(b) of the Constitution, the campaign noted that the National Assembly was empowered by the Constitution to direct an investigation into the conduct of affairs of any person, authority, ministry or government department charged, or intended to be charged, with the duty of or responsibility for disbursing or administering moneys appropriated or to be appropriated by the National Assembly, provided the investigation is for the purpose of exposing corruption, inefficiency or waste in the execution or administration of laws within its legislative competence and in the disbursement or administration of funds appropriated by the National Assembly.

The campaign argued that it would amount to an unjustifiable negligence of a key constitutional duty of the National Assembly for it to ignore the matter and, by so doing, endorse impunity and lack of accountability in governance, as the Executive has no incentive to investigate its own conduct and hold itself accountable in the matter.

South African authorities on September 5, 2014 at the Lanseria International Airport, in Northwest Johannesburg, seized a private jet that conveyed the $9.3 million cash in three suitcases from two Nigerians and an Israeli. They claimed the cash was meant for the procurement of arms and ammunition from South Africa. The Federal Government later admitted knowledge of the botched transaction and ownership of the money, while Oritsejafor also admitted ownership of the private plane used in conveying the money.
from: http://nigerians4change.com/2014/09/30/i-have-no-hand-in-9-3m-seized-in-south-africa-oristejafor-insists/

Re: I Have No Hand In $9.3m Seized In South Africa, Oristejafor Insists by godofwar666(m): 2:17pm On Sep 30, 2014
Pix of you for not putting your Hand in the arms deal or.......... Fill in the gaps? You no d rest

(1) (Reply)

Federal Prosecutor To Probe The Financial Dealings Of Bill And Hillary Clinton / President Goodluck Jonathan Listed 6th Richest President In Africa / Systematic Stealing? Bayelsa New Governor’s Office To Gulp N33bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.