Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,577 members, 7,955,124 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:35 PM

Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid (910 Views)

Court Nullifies Benue Rep-elect’s Certificate Of Return, Orders Prosecution / Courtney Dike Rejects N1.2M World Cup bonus / Lagos-ibadan Expressway: FG Kicks Out Bi-courtney, Award Contracts To Berger, RC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid by fkaz(m): 2:17pm On Sep 30, 2014
There was a mild drama at the premises of the Federal High Court in Lagos yesterday when two Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SAN), Olisa Agbakoba and Wale Babalakin, traded words after the hearing of a debt recovery suit between Bi-Courtney Ltd and the Assets Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON).

The two senior lawyers, who were coming out from the court where Justice Ibrahim Buba had vacated an order empowering AMCON to take over the operations of Bi-Courtney and three other companies owned by Babalakin, almost exchanged blows but for the prompt intervention of other lawyers, including Wale Akoni (SAN) and Abiodun Layonu (SAN) .

Apart from vacating the order, Justice Buba had also set aside the appointment former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) Agbakoba (SAN) as the receiver manager for the company.

According to the judge the application and the subsequent order of Justice Okon Abang was an abuse of court process because it was obtained by Agbakoba through concealment of fact.

Justice Buba noted that the order was granted despite the pendency of the suit before him and an earlier order he gave in the matter.

The court also held that it was clear from the processes before the court that Justice Abang was misled by AMCON to grant the interim orders having failed to notify the court of the existing orders.

It will be recalled that Justice Okon on September 22, 2014 had appointed Agbakoba as the receiver/manager over all the companies of Babalakin including Bi-Courtney Limited, Chartered Investment Limited, Resort International Limited and Roygate Properties Limited.

The orders were based on a N50 billion debt, which Babalakin allegedly admitted owing AMCON.

However, after the court’s annual vacation, the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Ibrahim Auta had re-assigned the case to Justice Buba, who was handling all previous cases between the parties.

When the case came up on yesterday, lawyer to Babalakin and his companies – Akoni and Layonu (SAN) prayed the court to suspend the interim orders made by Justice Abang empowering Agbakoba to act as the receiver/manager for the companies.

Akoni had submitted that the integrity of the court had been badly affected with the conflicting order, and that there was a serious need for the court to act fast to check the development.

Layonu, on his part, said the Federal High Court, as an institution, had been scandalised with the orders of Abang, because Justice Buba had made specific order restraining AMCON from appointing a receiver/manager and or taking over the companies.

Responding, Agbakoba said as far as he was concerned, there was no confusion with Abang’s orders.He said the suit before Abang was filed pursuant to the new cause of action that arose out of the admission by Babalakin that he was indebted to AMCON to the tune of N50 billion.

He recalled that before now, the bundle of cases were basically on determining the actual debt owed by Babalakin and debt swap arising from the argument by the defendants that Federal Government was indebted to Babalakin to the tune of over N132 billion pursuant to a judgment.

He added that after series of meetings, Babalakin agreed that he was indebted to AMCON, and that all cases would be compromised and withdrawn.

The lawyer lamented that trouble however started when Babalakin failed to abide by the term of the agreements especially as regard transferring the Federal Secretariat in Ikoyi to AMCON as agreed.

After the ruling Babalakin, who was seated in his car within the court premises while the proceeding was on, had came out to meet with his lawyers.

This happened just as Agbakoba was coming out of the court.
When Agbakoba saw Babalakin, he said to him “Wale, give me my money. I will collect my money from you and that’s the final.

“Responding, Babalakin replied by threatening to come after Agbakoba.

Pointing at Agbakoba, Babalakin said: “Why do you want to ruin me. You want to kill my businesses, I will never allow you.

“To this Agbakoba responded angrily, saying “You this small lawyer, when did you start practicing self? I’m 40 years at the bar, and so you are too small to me.

“As the two lawyers were exchanging the hot words, Akoni and Layonu intervened and brought the situation under control.

http://leadership.ng/news/385607/bi-courtney-court-nullifies-amcon-takeover-bid
Re: Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid by shizzle11(m): 3:24pm On Sep 30, 2014
"You this small lawyer, when did you start practicing self?"
gringringrin
Re: Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid by khamas19: 3:40pm On Sep 30, 2014
....typical...always trying to reap where they did not sow....

what was the basis of appointing agbakoba as receiving administrator...thief people..
Re: Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid by donmalcolm21(m): 3:49pm On Sep 30, 2014
In saner climes Babalakin will be be in jail cooling his heels.
Re: Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid by sholatech(m): 11:54pm On Sep 30, 2014
Babalakin is still suspect till proclaimed guilty. However, if those words actually came from Agbakoba In public, then I am disappointed in him

1 Like

Re: Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid by IGBOSON1: 12:06am On Oct 01, 2014
khamas19:
....typical...always trying to reap where they did not sow....

what was the basis of appointing agbakoba as receiving administrator...thief people..

^^^I don't get your point.....care to explain what you mean?
Re: Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid by cjrane: 12:08am On Oct 01, 2014
[size=18pt]AMCON should immediately appeal![/size]

Looks like some Judges like to assist and albeit corruption in Nigeria.
Re: Bi-courtney: Court Nullifies AMCON Takeover Bid by Nobody: 12:18am On Oct 01, 2014
Middle finger for Agbakoba.

How can someone covet another person's properties?

If FG liquidates any of Wale's properties, it's left for FG to sell such property.

Why must Agbakoba be a custodian/manager by force?

He's an aszhole who wants to reap where he did not sow.

FG should take the right step to forfeit Wale's assets that could compensate for the 50B debt.

This is the same Agbakoba that was lecturing us about national confab. He's supposed to be an Elder but unfortunately he's a Danborouba who's hell bent on reaping where he did not sow.

Ole Olojukokoro.

Ole Buruku.

(1) (Reply)

NIMC Plans To Dismiss 1,000 Staff / Photo / Why Nigeria Is The Best Country In The Whole Wide World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.