Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,875 members, 7,821,043 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:20 AM

Today To Me: Then And Now - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today To Me: Then And Now (430 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Trial...precedent Set Today: To Allow Masked/shielded Witnesses / Buhari Leaves For S-africa Today To Discuss With China’s President / Amaechi's Supporters Troop In To His Home Today To Show Him Support(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Today To Me: Then And Now by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 01, 2014
TODAY TO ME: THEN AND NOW.

by

Timothy Nkenu Woma
(womalastkid@gmail.com)

During my primary school period, some 9 years ago, Independence day meant a day of marching and reading a speech in front of the local government chairman and other 'high-table' guests. I would wake up as early as possible to prepare, my mum would help with extensively ironing my uniform while I look at myself in the mirror carefully admiring my combed hair.

It also meant a day where I would feel 'fly' as that opportunity of speech reading was really a honor to me at primary school.Happy moment, joyous, nice food and yes, the holiday. Nothing much else, just jolly, happy and celebrating what I, and many other Nigerians baseless described and some still do, as the 'giant of Africa'.

Fast forward to this day, a(n) (inter)nationally conscious citizen, me. This day, today, to me means more than all that and it should to every Nigerian. It is a day of reflection on how far we've come, where we are headed and where we are supposed to be.

One can only but celebrate based on the grounds of patriotism and nationalism. An in depth analysis would help one carefully understand that the reason(s) for celebrating are merely based on 'merry merry' grounds.

In a country so divided by extreme religious and ethnic sentiments, in a country where corruption has eaten deep into its very fabric, one can only be hopeful. Water, electricity, health care...everything is in degenerating state. A citizen of Nigeria can only but be happy that the country has the largest black economy of planet earth but would be angry deep down when he/she self-consciously realizes that the wealth is in the hands of those the high placed and also in the hands of those “wey know somebody for up there”.

“Suffering and Smiling”, “Most stressful country to live in”, both have been factually and truthfully referred to of Nigerians and Nigeria respectively and to deny would mean to live in self-denial. To be among the top oil-producing nations and yet be suffering should send a clear signal to us all.

So today, me,unlike most other Nigerians, would celebrate the strength and the resilience of Nigerians who have made it a point to make it through the most unbearable conditions. To the “okada” man on the streets who manages to get up everyday and work despite the fact that he slept in total darkness at night, happy Independence day brother. To the “kus kus pusher” who manages to sell water after working long distances because a government cannot provide tap-water to everyone, happy independence day brother.

This independence day goes to all Nigerians who have found an opportunity where others see failure.
Together, we shall make it as a nation, as a people strong and blessed and we shall change things not only for now, but for purpose of legacy.

Happy Independence my “country people”

1 Like

Re: Today To Me: Then And Now by Nobody: 3:54pm On Oct 01, 2014
cc sincere9jerian berem Seun Mynd44 obinoscopy LogoDwhiz etc...rate me please, thanks.
Re: Today To Me: Then And Now by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 01, 2014
80percent rating.

cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Pilot Beheaded / Palestinian PM, West Bank Officials To Hold First Unity Govt Session / Today's Youths Are Future Leaders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.