Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,248 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:39 AM

Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? (2441 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Declares 2016 A Year Of Spreading / Prophet TB Joshua Curses Zimbabweans For Spreading Lies Against Him / An Excerpt: The Sword Of Solomon By F.w. Boreham (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by Samneer: 4:59pm On Oct 01, 2014
Warning: Here's a long article (an extract from my book), please do not copyright. Please read and understand.

If any grammatical error or blunder, please do let me know.

Christianity has never been spread by the sword or violence. The early disciples of Jesus Christ spread the gospel with Passion, out of love and perseverance, they never persecuted anyone; instead they were persecuted whilst standing their ground, holding steadfastly to the mandate and assignment delivered unto them by the Lord.In the first century, the disciples of Jesus went from cities to nations to countries and to continents proclaiming the Gospel of Christ. They had no sword on them, instead they were met by the sword. They were the founding evangelist taking with them 'The Message' not the sword.

The intention of the Crusaders was to take dominion of the whole world hiding under the bushel of Roman Catholics. They moved from countries to continents killing people and possesing their lands. They killed.and dominated some parts of the world. The Crusaders rose up in the times of dark ages; a time when the church went more into relics and rituals having lost the savor of the salvation, the life and spirit behind the churches which was delivered unto them by the early apostles. In the 1st and 2nd century, the church was pure and alas the gospel was not spread by the sword or violence, instead it was spread by the blood of Martyrs (in the sense that if a Christian was killed a thousand of unbelievers will be converted).

Then, all of a sudden the persecution stopped all because a righteous emperor assumed the throne; Constatine. He stopped because, by the help of God and not gods he was able to conquer his battles hence thereafter favouring Christians and thusthus stopped the persecution. Christianity in Latin language was initially called 'Religio illicita' meaning an 'Illegal Religion'. It was Constatine who made it 'Religio Licito, meaning Legal Religion. And so the church became comfortable, not just comfortable but she became prosperous. And because she became prosperous and comfortable she became ritualistic. That's where the ceremonious activities in the church sets in including travelling to Jerusalem to see the tomb of Jesus, the tomb of Peter and the likes. In simpler words the Church became relaxed when Constatine stopped the persecution of the Christians.

During those easy age, the church became relaxed and the Word was no longer available; people then relied more on the words of their Priests, who themselves were corrupted by rituals and lustful powers. Even though these priests said they were speaking for God, but heaven did not recognize them, they were blatant sinners. In their love for power they became imperialistic while using the name of religion to cover up, which is not what has made the gospel to spread till today. Every historian of the early church will always tell you that there was an extra ordinary power backing the gospel. Peter, Paul, John, Mark and some other apostles were persecuted and their lives taken yet the gospel spreads with increasing blood of Martyrs, in so much that if you kill an apostle unbelievers will be moved and hence convicted in their heart, and hence accepting Christ.

The early disciples conquered the whole of the Roman empire not by force nor is it by the sword but by preaching and laying down their dear lives in the process. It was in the time of dark ages that the church went into relics, she relented and that was when Islam came into the show behelding Mohammad and his terrific way of spreading his message/religion. Mohammad received his so called revelation, invented a religion. When Mohammad noticed that preaching won't work on people he took to the sword/violence thus possessing the people by force. One major difference in the root/foundation of Christianity and Islam is Islam's root is violence, horrific and terrific, while Christianity's root is Jesus Christ, Love and Peace. 300 years into the foundation of the early church, the church progressed not by violence but by peace and love nor is it by the sword but by propagating the gospel.

A deeper study of the root of Islam, will showcase a root of blood of the innocent, violence, murders and horror. The Catholics, started spreading with their apostate and many people especially the founding and real Christians were not buying into it for Catholicism involves worshipping unknown idols.

History recalls that the Catholics never persecuted Muslim nations but they persecuted Christians {the Reformers, the Protestants, the Puritants and the Dissidents} with their inquisition. Yes! During the dark ages the church went into violence but those men were never Christians, they were never spiritual, they were led by flesh. They were never Christs'. In the midst of these, some real Christians started gathering, they prayed for revival. That was when the Reformers came into the show and men like John Knox (a man that preached and the whole of British government was shaken), John Calvin a great minister, men like Martin Luther. And these men keep handing over the mantle of the gospel one to another and this has been how the gospel prospered.

The gospel has never for once prospered through violence. John Wesley preached in England, he preached in England not by violence but by Christ, Peace and Love. And of course anyone who's a fair observer of history will tell you that the history of the English people can never take out John Wesley's ministry. For it was his ministry that prevented Britain from going into a revolution when France had already gone through a revolution. His ministry changed and shook England, Scotland inclusive. In a time when divine healing and moves of the Spirit had scarcely been heard of, Charles Parham introduced the American church to the power available through pursuing a Spirit-filled life. He revealed to the church the life giving power found in the baptism of the Holy Spirit that was evidenced by speaking in other tongues. He sought to bring a balance of both the intellectual and experiential to the Body of Christ at the turn of the last century as a teacher, rooted and grounded in the Word of Truth, as well as a healing evangelist moved by compassion, commitment, and an amazing faith.

In Nigeria it was Joseph Ayo Babalola. The revival of his mission began with the raising of a dead child in September 1930. What followed this in 3 weeks was the healing of about 100 lepers,60 blind people and 50 lame persons. This also resulted in the desolation of Churches in Ilesa because their members transferred their allegiance to the revivalist and that all the patients in Wesley Hospital, Ilesa, abandoned their beds to seek healing from Babalola.This divinely kicked off. The Great Revival of 1930, which saw people coming from most parts of Africa and diaspora without posters and TV adverts. From then on, with bell and Yoruba Bible in hand, he toured Yorubaland and eastern Nigeria, preaching about repentance, and renunciation of idolatry, the importance of prayer and fasting, and the power of God to heal sickness.

What are we to say of Pastor (Dr.) Adeboye, Pastor.(Dr) W.F Kumuyi, Pastor Obadare, Pastor Abiara, Pastor(Mrs) Magareth Idahosa, Pastor S. Ayonrinde, Pastor Sam Amaga, Pastor Sam Adeyemi, Pastor Anselm Madubuko, Rev Ezekiel, Pastor Mike Okonkwo, Pastor Nkechi Iloputaife, Pastor Wale Oke and Pastor Emmanuel Kure to mention but a few? These are great men of God that propagates the gospel, with signs and wonders following from their youthful age, not by violence but through Christ that strengthens them. Above all anyone who kills and think he/she is helping God is going to Hell fire. Thou shalt not kill; it is a clear command. Mark my words, here comes a time when people will kill, and thus thinking they are doing it for God; time will tell!

Thanks for reading.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by lanrexdo(m): 5:03pm On Oct 01, 2014
Okay.
Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by jokinexcel(m): 5:35pm On Oct 01, 2014
"Catholicism involves worshipping unknown idols."
Yaba left please

The op know nothing about church history except what his uneducated pastor taught him

2 Likes

Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by peteregwu(m): 9:40pm On Oct 01, 2014
Actually, I enjoyed reading your post, it is true of what you said about catholic(Vatican). They shed too much blood of the saints. My brother in the dark ages they were worst than the Islamic terrorist. I have read about them, it was terrible. I don't know why many catholic are just blinded over this.

Just to inform you, I have read that it was the Vatican that created Islam, that was why the Vatican never fought against them. The Islam was created to destroy the rise of Christians and the spread of the gospel.

http://www.redicecreations.com/specialreports/2006/04apr/catholicislam.html

If you are doubt, ask why the Muslims make use of rosary or chaple; why do have 'Fatima' in common; and they worship the sun/moon god?

I don't know why some pastors love to bear their worldly titles like, doctors, engineers, professor etc. It doesn't make sense to me. When you are a pastor or evangelist, it is a great divine honour and should be jealous of it and hold it tight till end, and it should also humble us the more. After all the titles is not a ticket to heaven.

God bless you!

4 Likes

Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by Samneer: 9:42pm On Oct 01, 2014
peteregwu: Actually, I enjoyed reading your post, it is true of what you said about catholic(Vatican). They shed too much blood of the saints. My brother in the dark ages they were worst than the Islamic terrorist. I have read about them, it was terrible. I don't know why many catholic are just blinded over this.

Just to inform you, I have read that it was the Vatican that created Islam, that was why the Vatican never fought against them. The Islam was created to destroy the rise of Christians and the spread of the gospel.

If you are doubt, ask why the Muslims make use of rosary or chaple; why do have 'Fatima' in common; and they worship the sun/moon god?

I don't know why some pastors love to bear their worldly titles like, doctors, engineers, professor etc. It doesn't make sense to me. When you are a pastor or evangelist, it is a great divine honour and should be jealous of it and hold it tight till end, and it should also humble us the more. After all the titles is not a ticket to heaven.

God bless you!

Thanks bro
Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by peteregwu(m): 9:46pm On Oct 01, 2014
Samneer:

Thanks bro

You are welcome brother.
Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by HARMONIEE: 5:16pm On Nov 06, 2014
peteregwu:
Actually, I enjoyed reading your post, it is true of what you said about catholic(Vatican). They shed too much blood of the saints. My brother in the dark ages they were worst than the Islamic terrorist. I have read about them, it was terrible. I don't know why many catholic are just blinded over this.

http://www.redicecreations.com/specialreports/2006/04apr/catholicislam.html

God bless you!
You are right, i was once a die hard Roman Catholicism fan. I have many relatives there, since I had an encounter with Christ and saw what death, and after life means. I returned with an extreme hatred for the Satanic doctrine, I felt extremely betrayed, I tried to warn my relatives but they rather refer to us as those who are wrong. This made me open a thread to know what others think about it.

www.nairaland.com/1984490/roman-catholics-christians
Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Nov 06, 2014
Yeah, they never fought against Islam. The crusades were fought against buddhists right? And from the Mayan/Aztec/Inca cities of central America to the genocide of the aboriginal native Indians of N. America to the trade wars of the far east and the slave trade and colonisation of Africa, you always find Christian missionaries lurking behind the massacres and destruction, ready to convert the heathen.
Whichever way you put it my friend, the spread of christianity is a product of wars, domination and colonialism. Ask 'Great' Britain... they do not deny it.

1 Like

Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by Samneer: 8:44pm On Nov 06, 2014
Abuamam:
Yeah, they never fought against Islam. The crusades were fought against buddhists right? And from the Mayan/Aztec/Inca cities of central America to the genocide of the aboriginal native Indians of N. America to the trade wars of the far east and the slave trade and colonisation of Africa, you always find Christian missionaries lurking behind the massacres and destruction, ready to convert the heathen.
Whichever way you put it my friend, the spread of christianity is a product of wars, domination and colonialism. Ask 'Great' Britain... they do not deny it.

You're very wrong my friend.
The reformers and the Waldenses that spread the Gospel light to great Britain, Germany swiss and some other parts of Europe never used sword. Their sword is the word of God. instead they laid down their lives in face of adversaries and persecution. Emperor Nero not left out in the history of Christianity ; on how he tormented the early Christians.
Those who killed and exercised terror and violence were never Christians, they did that for their own benefits. You really need to read about Jerome and John Huss, Martin Luther King(the great reformer, the one that lived in the 16th Century). Zwingli and the likes. Those who killed are the relical and possessed fanatics that had no tiny knowledge of the scriptures.

By the way what is your own definition of being Christian?
I really need to know.
Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 06, 2014
The only age that christianity was not spread by the sword was when they were the underdogs. Once they got the pagan infantricidal matricidal 'righteous' emperor Constantine on their side, they never spread anywhere without a similarly 'righteous' army preceding them. And whatever reasons you feel they had, their justification was always to bring Christ to the heathen.
As for definitions of christianity, it does not matter. From Spanish and Portugese Catholics to Dutch and British Anglicans and present day American Evangelicals, they all spread their doctrines in the 'third world' through wars, colonialism, deceit and oppression.
We are no longer in the dark ages where history was controlled by the victor. Oft-repeated lies can be easily exposed by a click on a touchscreen.
As for your belief about the history of Islam, the total number of fatalities in all 14 centuries of muslim wars (including both muslim and non-muslim dead), were nowhere near the number of jews and muslims killed in the name of Christ during the Spanish inquisition alone.

1 Like

Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by Samneer: 10:19pm On Nov 06, 2014
Abuamam:
The only age that christianity was not spread by the sword was when they were the underdogs. Once they got the pagan infantricidal matricidal 'righteous' emperor Constantine on their side, they never spread anywhere without a similarly 'righteous' army preceding them. And whatever reasons you feel they had, their justification was always to bring Christ to the heathen.
As for definitions of christianity, it does not matter. From Spanish and Portugese Catholics to Dutch and British Anglicans and present day American Evangelicals, they all spread their doctrines in the 'third world' through wars, colonialism, deceit and oppression.
We are no longer in the dark ages where history was controlled by the victor. Oft-repeated lies can be easily exposed by a click on a touchscreen.
As for your belief about the history of Islam, the total number of fatalities in all 14 centuries of muslim wars (including both muslim and non-muslim dead), were nowhere near the number of jews and muslims killed in the name of Christ during the Spanish inquisition alone.

Once again, I will lay emphasis on the fact that Christianity was never and will never be spread by the sword. During those times you were talking about, I mean during the times of constatine; Christianity was freed from persecution when emperor constatine got victory through the name of Christ. But, he never actually followed the principle of Christ. Hence, the Roman catholica and the rest.
Christians were given liberty, and they rested from the propagation of the gospel. They relented and the church went into relics. The Catholics took the liberty as a chance to impose their evil doings. The likes of The Reformers and early Christians stood up against them and were persecuted in return. The scriptures was never made available for the people, they lost their liberty and were once again in captivity.
The early Christian noticed this and stood up against them, they were battered in return. They laid down there lives for the propagation and their children took the mantle from them. The early Reformers never give up, they were imprisoned.
Let's not look further, search the scriptures, I mean the Bible, how the disciples of Jesus Christ were killed, some crucified while some were tortured to death. Yet, the Gospel waded not off.

I will ask you again what your own definition of being a Christian is, cos it really matters. Also, could you please state where Jesus Christ commanded Christians to kill in the name of the gospel?
NB: Do not quote Luke 19:27 as it totally out of point.

PS: Christianity is totally against idolatry; if truly you know this, you should know that those who killed were never Christians and that Christianity was never and will never spread by the sword!

Thank you
Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by chinedumo(m): 11:51pm On Nov 06, 2014
Abuamam:

his point is clear.

The op is aware of what you are saying
The op does not view the catholics as christians

britian is hardly a christian nation.

Long seperated the church from the state.

Actually it was the state that controlled d church
Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by Samneer: 7:16am On Nov 07, 2014
chinedumo:

his point is clear.

The op is aware of what you are saying
The op does not view the catholics as christians

britian is hardly a christian nation.

Long seperated the church from the state.

Actually it was the state that controlled d church

Thank you chinedumo
Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 14, 2014
jokinexcel:
"Catholicism involves worshipping unknown idols."
Yaba left please

The op know nothing about church history except what his uneducated pastor taught him

Bro, pls read abt roman paganism and roman papal, u will know that roman catholic have persecuted christians in the past.
Re: Christianity; Spreading By The Sword? by techtalk123: 6:35pm On Jun 22, 2023
Every swing of a katana carries the weight of centuries of tradition and the spirit of the samurai. katana shop

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Abuja Declaration Of 1989 And Have You Seen The Edited Declaration. / A Simple Mathematics For All Christians To Know / The Lies Of The Bible Part 1(christianity Is A Fraud)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.