Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

What You Should Know Concerning Tyre Gauge/pressure Of Vehicles: - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What You Should Know Concerning Tyre Gauge/pressure Of Vehicles: (1215 Views)

Which Of The Tyre Gauge Instruments Is The Right One (photos) / Police Begin Biometric Registration Of Vehicles / What Does Your Coolant Gauge Read? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What You Should Know Concerning Tyre Gauge/pressure Of Vehicles: by pragmatistm(m): 9:28pm On Oct 01, 2014
I think this thread is needed and overdue as it were. Many times our roadside vulcanizers pump our vehicle's tyres based on their own stereotyped gauges even-though that may be totally different from the car maker's recommendations. For instance I just replaced the front tyres of my car and I directed the vulcanizer to gauge the tyres at 32 as written on the door jamb of my car. But the man and also the man handling the wheel alignment told me to increase the gauge to at least 35. Their point was that the white man had good roads so the factory specifications was good for them but our roads are bad in Nigeria so I should increase the pressure.

I know that using a wrong gauge whether under-inflated or over-inflated has either a direct a indirect impact on the car's performance and safety of the occupants. The maximum pressure on the tyres is what they are rated up to, NOT the maximum that is appropriate for your car. You should always inflate to the pressure in the manual or on the sticker in the doorjamb. Running tyres over-inflated will cause uneven wear on the tread (more wear in the centre) and can lead to blow-outs if the tyres get hot.Thus I didn't change the gauge of the tyres.

Having the proper tyre pressure is a crucial safety issue. Next to the brakes, the tyres are the most important safety devices on your car. Incorrect tyre pressure will compromise cornering, braking and stability. And in the worst-case scenario, improper tyre pressure can lead to tyre failure — and a serious accident. Incorrect tyre pressure also will affect your comfort, fuel economy and tyre life.

What happens if I don't do this?
If tyre pressure is too high, then less of the tyre touches the ground. As a consequence, your car will bounce around on the road. And when your tyres are bouncing instead of firmly planted on the road, traction suffers and so do your stopping distances. You'll also feel a decrease in ride comfort. (Hint: If you notice that every tie you own has coffee on it, check your tyre pressure. It may be too high.)

If tyre pressure is too low
, then too much of the tyre's surface area touches the ground, which increases friction between the road and the tyre. As a result, not only will your tyres wear prematurely, but they also could overheat. Overheating can lead to tread separation — and a nasty accident. One sign of low tyre pressure is if your tyres squeal when cornering.

And you need to check your tyre pressure even if your tyres aren't leaking. Why? Because tyre pressure also changes with the temperature outside. Tyre pressure decreases by about 1 pound per square inch for every 10-degree drop in outside air temperature. So if you last had your tyre pressure checked in July, when it was 80 degrees outside, and it's now January — and the temperature is minus 20 — your tyres may be underinflated by 10 pounds, which is dangerous.

For safety, Check your tyre pressures at least once a month. And every car owner should get a tyre gauge shown below. What's your take, car experts?

Additional info from: http://www.cartalk.com/content/service-your-car-13

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/tyre-pressures

1 Share

Re: What You Should Know Concerning Tyre Gauge/pressure Of Vehicles: by arcis: 10:04pm On Oct 01, 2014
Thanks for this information.

1 Like

Re: What You Should Know Concerning Tyre Gauge/pressure Of Vehicles: by ivoryhouse(m): 5:46am On Oct 02, 2014
Well said op

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get A Best Car Painter In Lagos To Paint My 2014 Honda / Urgent - Lexus / Hybrid Electric Vehicle Chatroom. Let's Talk Hybrids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.