Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,422 members, 7,861,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 06:13 AM

Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . (1117 Views)

Evidence That Putin Is Strongest Man And Obama Is A Filthy Whimpering Dog / Obama Is A Weak Chicken / South African White Couple Produced A Black Looking Baby Girl - Sandra Laing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by DavidDylan(m): 7:46pm On Nov 07, 2008
Ok this Obamamania is getting ridiculous.
Some reporter on Fox voiced my opinion when she wondered why there were shots of Kenyan's on national TV in the US and we didnt get to see anything on Obama's family in the US, Hawaians, his ex-faculty mates at Harvard . . . when the results of the elections were announced.

I hate to say it but Obama's election is a VICTORY for American ingenuity not a black liberation movement. Its great to be able to say a black man can be anything he aspires to be but we need to overcome this idea that Obama has become the Messiah of the black race.

Obama or not, Kenya will still remain a poor backwater of civilization . . . it doesnt matter how much sperm they donate to other countries.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by Nobody: 7:48pm On Nov 07, 2008
You're wicked. cheesy
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by Tonim(f): 7:54pm On Nov 07, 2008
haba, david, you are already getting jealous of the guy and he hasn't even been sworn in grin
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by DavidDylan(m): 8:02pm On Nov 07, 2008
Tonim:

haba, david, you are already getting jealous of the guy and he hasn't even been sworn in grin

Jealous ke? I was mighty glad the guy won, i'd been supporting him way before the Iowa primaries when naysayers claimed he had no chance against the clinton juggernaut . . .

but i dont understand why Africans are even more happy than Americans. Kenyans have set Nov 5 as a national lazy day sorry public holiday . . . as if Obama will automatically make them US citizens too.

sorry but the US embassy officials in Lagos and Nairobi wont give you special visa considerations.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by 4Play(m): 8:17pm On Nov 07, 2008
DavidDylan:

Jealous ke? I was mighty glad the guy won, i'd been supporting him way before the Iowa primaries when naysayers claimed he had no chance against the clinton juggernaut . . .

Come,that quote you and Osisi are parading around was from August 2007,imagine this Osisi woman. grin Any oldie on NL who suggests he or she foresaw an Obama victory 15 months ago is yarning dust! grin
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by DavidDylan(m): 8:23pm On Nov 07, 2008
4 Play:

Come,that quote you and Osisi are parading around was from August 2007,imagine this Osisi woman. grin Any oldie on NL who suggests he or she foresaw an Obama victory 15 months ago is yarning dust! grin

To be candid i did not "foresee" him winning but i believed he had at least a chance if he could beat Clinton. That belief became stronger after Iowa.
The Bush approval rating was at least one reason to believe any democrat would wipe the floor with a republican especially when you look at the caliber of those who were in the running.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by Uche2nna(m): 10:21pm On Nov 07, 2008
David, I don't know why U are having problem(s) with the Kenyans a la Africa going emotional over the Obama issue. Whatever happens to any black man on this planet (positive or negative) somehow always finds its way back to Africa.

When James Watson came out with his verdict on the black race (based on the perceived attitude of some blacks in the US and the UK) , he did not exclude blacks from Africa. Matter of fact, he used Africa as an example of how inferior the black race is. I did not hear U complain. But now U are gonna complain cos Kenya a la Africa is celebrating the election of a US president with African roots. Na wa oooooo!!!!

And the reporter that was saying there were no shout outs from Hawaii must be mischievous to say the least. I saw some clips showing Obama's former school in Hawaii and the environment was anything but normal. Sheer ecstasy amongst the students and staff.

Maybe U should also go after West Ham ( a third tier premiership club in England) that suddenly remembered that Obama saw a football match in their stadium while visiting his sister in England in '03. grin Fact is that , it is historic and people should celebrate as they deem fit.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by DavidDylan(m): 10:38pm On Nov 07, 2008
Uche, dont get me wrong . . . i'm not saying blacks shld not rejoice.
I only balk at a situation where we end up rejoicing more than the Americans.

Why have Kenyans declared a public holiday over the election of a nation thousands of miles away? How has Obama's election ensured Kibaki will not doctor the constitution again to perpetuate himself in power or rig elections or plunge the country into another civil war just so he can cling unto power?

while we celebrate US elections even louder than Americans, we have dictators everywhere denying us the very rights we celebrate.

In nigeria, an igbo man cant be president and yet we jubilate that America has elected a black man. Mugabe sends congratulatory messages to Obama and YET intimidates his own opponents, emasculates the media and impoverishes his people just to die in power.

Are these Kenyans "celebrating" not the same ones who needed the international community to mediate after their last elections?
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by DavidDylan(m): 10:41pm On Nov 07, 2008
Uche2nna:

And the reporter that was saying there were no shout outs from Hawaii must be mischievous to say the least. I saw some clips showing Obama's former school in Hawaii and the environment was anything but normal. Sheer ecstasy amongst the students and staff.

that was his school in Indonesia i suppose.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by Uche2nna(m): 11:32pm On Nov 07, 2008
DavidDylan:

that was his school in Indonesia i suppose.

Oh, yeah. Indonesia it was , not Hawaii. Point is dat the response to Obama's election is a global one albeit on different levels.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by Uche2nna(m): 11:39pm On Nov 07, 2008
DavidDylan:

Uche, don't get me wrong . . . i'm not saying blacks shld not rejoice.
I only balk at a situation where we end up rejoicing more than the Americans.

Why have Kenyans declared a public holiday over the election of a nation thousands of miles away? How has Obama's election ensured Kibaki will not doctor the constitution again to perpetuate himself in power or rig elections or plunge the country into another civil war just so he can cling unto power?

while we celebrate US elections even louder than Americans, we have dictators everywhere denying us the very rights we celebrate.

In nigeria, an igbo man can't be president and yet we jubilate that America has elected a black man. Mugabe sends congratulatory messages to Obama and YET intimidates his own opponents, emasculates the media and impoverishes his people just to die in power.

Are these Kenyans "celebrating" not the same ones who needed the international community to mediate after their last elections?

Valid points, I must say.

Kenya would not change because one of their sons (grin) is now the president of the United States. Lets just hope the power hungry, money-sapping, corrupt-looking visionless leaders we have in Africa would borrow a leaf from the American example.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by debosky(m): 11:46pm On Nov 07, 2008
Kenya is not even the problem, you'd be disgusted by the ridiculous ad I saw in the newspaper regarding Bayelsa State using 'Yes We Can' - just yesterday! grin grin

Corrupt politicians will do anything to keep hoodwinking people and keep stealing money.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by DavidDylan(m): 11:49pm On Nov 07, 2008
debosky:

Kenya is not even the problem, you'd be disgusted by the ridiculous ad I saw in the newspaper regarding Bayelsa State using 'Yes We Can' - just yesterday! grin grin

Corrupt politicians will do anything to keep hoodwinking people and keep stealing money.

no they didnt?  grin
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by Uche2nna(m): 11:52pm On Nov 07, 2008
lol

Trust Nigerians to hop on a moving train cheesy
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by chaloo(m): 12:18am On Nov 08, 2008
this 'Obamamania' will die soon. things will remain the same in many parts of Africa as they are now, may be even get worse.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by bawomolo(m): 4:41am On Nov 08, 2008
are u serious about mugabe sending congratulatory messages
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by DavidDylan(m): 6:56am On Nov 08, 2008
bawomolo:

are u serious about mugabe sending congratulatory messages

read here - http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,24618303-401,00.html?from=public_rss
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by sleekp1: 10:22am On Nov 08, 2008
Why shouldn't Mugabe congratulate Obama, most world leaders did, Iranian president etc all congratulated Obama. Obama will restore some credibility to America's often war war doctrine.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by Uche2nna(m): 7:54pm On Nov 08, 2008
sleek_p:

Why shouldn't Mugabe congratulate Obama, most world leaders did, Iranian president etc all congratulated Obama. Obama will restore some credibility to America's often war war doctrine.

For the same reason(s) Osama bin laden did not send congratulatory notes.

What is he congratulating Obama for? undecided
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by beneli(m): 8:41pm On Nov 08, 2008
Obama is an American, yes, but he is also a black phenomenon.

Here me out.

My four and a half year old son has become increasingly colour-conscious and has been asking me very complicated questions about his skin colour, which i try to answer as best as i can. He has become increasingly observant about the kind of images of 'black' people, portrayed in the media. He was happy when last week Lewis Hamilton, a 'black' man raced himself into the history books as the first black formula one winner and at 23 years old, also the youngest.

And yes, he was almsot ecstatic when on Wednesday morning the world woke up to the fact that Obama-a man who is almost the same skin colour as him-has become the next 'most powerful man on earth'. He probably does not understand what it means, but he seems to recognise that Obama has just done something 'good' for black people of all shades and hue.

It is true that i do not live in America. But in the UK, like in most other multi-cultural societies, we have our own fair share of racial challenges. So for me and many others like me, it's the symbolism of what Obama has just achieved that is most important.

It is the kind of dreams which he now lends to us 'black' people all over the world that is of greatest significance.

Somebody said that Rosa Parks sat so that Martin Luther King Jr could march. Martin Luther King marched so that Barack Obama could run. And Obama has run, so that my son and his generation can fly!

That is the symbolism of Obama's victory! And in that he has become a phenomenon, especially for the 'black' man.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by chaloo(m): 8:51pm On Nov 08, 2008
I am not being cynical but him being the President of the States would not make much diffennece to the peole dying in DRC or other parts of Africa.

Now, why Mugabe congrulated Obama? because he is worried of his own pockets. He thinks if does that, America would start pouring in dollars in his pockets. It is his greed that made him do that and nothing else. Why otherwise his own countrymen would be dying of hunger?
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by IsiomaIgwe(f): 9:46pm On Nov 08, 2008
Stop hating David. Tuesday night a barrier was broken for not only America but for blacks and for countries around the world. America is the most powerful country and like it or not what goes down in America affects the enitre world. Just look at what has been happening due to the recent financial crisis in America. People are ready for a change and a new day and Obama represents the fulfillment of a dream. I thought it was wonderful to see other countries celebrating it is time for positivity and uniting not throwing salt. Obama is the first balck man to lead not only America but he is the first to lead any first world country and that is powerful.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by DavidDylan(m): 9:57pm On Nov 08, 2008
IsiomaIgwe:

Stop hating David. Tuesday night a barrier was broken for not only America but for blacks and for countries around the world. America is the most powerful country and like it or not what goes down in America affects the enitre world. Just look at what has been happening due to the recent financial crisis in America. People are ready for a change and a new day and Obama represents the fulfillment of a dream. I thought it was wonderful to see other countries celebrating it is time for positivity and uniting not throwing salt. Obama is the first balck man to lead not only America but he is the first to lead any first world country and that is powerful.

I'm not hating . . . it has taken us this long because we have consistently given the rest of the world concrete reason to have negative attitutides about us. It is no accident that the poorest nations on earth are virtually ALL black countries.
Obama is merely a symbol of what American ingenuity can achieve . . . He is NOT a product of black Africa or black America . . . he is a product of a system that rewards success.

Should Obama fail, it will make it doubly harder for a black man to be elected president of the US. Bush will be judged as an individual, Obama's failures will be more than enough excuse for the rest of the world to label the black race perenial underachievers.
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by AKO1(m): 7:43am On Nov 09, 2008
David thank you jere! smiley

Obama's victory does not mean we have won.

It means that we can also be inspired to win.not just the presidency
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by MandingoII(m): 2:43am On Nov 10, 2008
Ok this Obamamania is getting ridiculous.
Some reporter on Fox voiced my opinion when she wondered why there were shots of Kenyan's on national TV in the US and we didnt get to see anything on Obama's family in the US, Hawaians, his ex-faculty mates at Harvard . . . when the results of the elections were announced.

I hate to say it but Obama's election is a VICTORY for American ingenuity not a black liberation movement. Its great to be able to say a black man can be anything he aspires to be but we need to overcome this idea that Obama has become the Messiah of the black race.

Obama or not, Kenya will still remain a poor backwater of civilization . . . it doesnt matter how much sperm they donate to other countries.

TRUE!

Yet Obama DEFINED himself as African American.

Unlike Tiger Woods, who defines himself as calibrasian.

Obama CHOSE his black heritage, while being raised by whites.

that says alot about Obama. heck, he married a woman as black as tar.

Kenya on the rise!
Re: Obama Is An American Not A Black Phenomenon . . . by DavidDylan(m): 4:00am On Nov 10, 2008
MandingoII:

TRUE!

Yet Obama DEFINED himself as African American.

Unlike Tiger Woods, who defines himself as calibrasian.

Obama CHOSE his black heritage, while being raised by whites.

that says alot about Obama. heck, he married a woman as black as tar.

Kenya on the rise!

How is Kenya on the rise? grin Is sperm donation a symbol of a "nation on the rise"?

(1) (Reply)

World's Largest Building Opens In China / Turkey's Erdogan: "Muslims Found Americas Before Columbus " / Check Out This Ugandan Campaign Poster (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.