Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,805 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:42 PM

Packet Sniffing - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Packet Sniffing (3143 Views)

Network Packet Sniffer (developer Needed). / Sniffing In A Switched Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Packet Sniffing by alexis(m): 9:09pm On Jul 30, 2006
Hi everyone,

I need some professional input from folks that have experience with Internet security, especially packet sniffing and IP spoofing. I know how packet sniffing works and I can read and decipher the TCP/IP packet for information I want. My question is, can you packet sniff on someone else gateway without actually being on their WAN or LAN?

Secondly, I have some experience on how you can change your host file on most Unix machine and add fake routes but what I do want to know is how do spammers inject fake IP addresses in an SMTP message or how do people send fake IP headers to others. I am asking this question for educational purposes only and I will appreciate real world examples and answers.

Thanks
Re: Packet Sniffing by alexis(m): 10:33am On Aug 01, 2006
Hey guys, no one has replied to my thread. Don't any nairaland member have practical ideas on packet sniffing?
Re: Packet Sniffing by h4rdc0d3d(m): 10:31pm On Aug 02, 2006
Of course you can packet sniff on a network other than yours, Its called GRE sniffing or something like that, you know about subnet masks , It comes into play here. You can get a video sample at http://www.hackingdefined.com/index.php/Demos. You sound like someone who wants to learn about computers in a different way,
Thats quite good.
IP spoofing is as a result of creating raw packets. Raw packets are created by creating asocket and specifying it as a raw socket. Instead of SOCK_STREAM, you type in SOCK_RAW as the parameter in yoursocket declaration. Hey, you get to fill out the stuff yourself and this requires a basic understanding of an IP packet structure. You might do a google on raw sockets or GRE sniffing.
A good example of GRE sniffing was given in the book 'Stealing the continent, How to own the box' where Hex a female hackese breaks into a school network ( in short sha, she messes with the subnet mask, and changes the default gateway to point to her own router, then instructs her own router to send back replies to the schools LAN. I think so, )
Re: Packet Sniffing by alexis(m): 5:00pm On Aug 03, 2006
Thanks h4rdc0d3d,

I am downloading the demo now and I will check it out. I am sure there are ways to sniff packets on network you are not on, just that i am trying to find out ways you can do that. Thanks and your response is well appreciated

(1) (Reply)

Programming Team Open. A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Starts One Today. / 17 Year Old aspiring Frontend Developer / Product Designer / I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.