Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,893 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice (3134 Views)

Why Is Everyone Rushing Into Programming? / Why I’m Bad At Coding And People Think I’m Good / If You've Always Wanted To Learn Programming But Failed, Be Here!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by OGWILLS123: 5:52pm On Sep 09, 2020
angryHello guru's in the house I will like to take a career paths in Programming
but I hate maths angry Is they any hope for me cry

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by devdev: 6:05pm On Sep 09, 2020
OGWILLS123:
angryHello guru's in the house I will like to take a career paths in Programming
You must know and love maths to be able to code. Coding is like the practical part of maths. So please learn your maths very well else you'd have a hard time in programming.
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by Najdorf: 6:05pm On Sep 09, 2020
Math skills are not necessary for a lot of fields.

Why do you hate math tho?
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by OGWILLS123: 6:51pm On Sep 09, 2020
Najdorf:
Math skills are not necessary for a lot of fields.

Why do you hate math tho?
Donno why i hate math angry. my maths teacher was very aggressive and he did not take enough time to deeply explain. cry

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 6:56pm On Sep 09, 2020
OGWILLS123:
I can‘t remember when last I used maths.

More like saying I want to learn “French language” but don’t know “Yoruba”

Mathematics is a language of science, Programming languages are language of machines.

If your are not building scientific softwares/products then many library are now so abstract that you don’t need any math knowledge at all.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 6:57pm On Sep 09, 2020
devdev:

You must know and love maths to be able to code. Coding is like the practical part of maths. So please learn your maths very well else you'd have a hard time in programming.
wrong wrong wrong wrong.

If you are not doing AI, robotics, Mathematical/scientific softwares nor Data science. Why should maths comes in

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by OGWILLS123: 7:09pm On Sep 09, 2020
stanliwise:

Mathematics is a language of science, Programming languages are language of machines.

If your are not building science products then many library are now so abstract that you don’t need any math knowledge at all.
Thanks bro you just give me a hope cool

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 7:13pm On Sep 09, 2020
OGWILLS123:

What I told you is the truth. The truth born when people began abstracting difficult things. Aside being hope, it is the truth. As much as your programming is solving problems not scientific or mathematical in nature don’t fret.
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:34pm On Sep 09, 2020
Bro you can learn to code with out knowledge of mathematics but passing programming interviews is another thing entirely but thankfully everything can be learnt.

Learn to code and build projects. Once you are ready to start applying to jobs, get a copy of grokking algorithms and then start doing leetcode. The one you no Sabi memorise am by force. Some programming interviews don't test for data structures and algorithms. Some give a code test, some talk about your projects. Different companies, different scope but the data structures and algorithms way is becoming very popular down to even freelancing sites like Upwork. The below picture is an interview I had from a company on Upwork.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by devdev: 8:43pm On Sep 09, 2020
stanliwise:
wrong wrong wrong wrong.

If you are not doing AI, robotics, Mathematical/scientific softwares nor Data science. Why should maths comes in
Wait are you sure you're programmer or a wordpress user. There is difference between being a programmer and a CMS user. You must be know maths to understand programming. You must know maths to build softwares, Banks apps, Ecommerce, Anti virus and the likes. OP you must know maths to be a programmer, However you don't need to know maths to be a wordpress user. The truth bites i understand but if you follow the proper steps, you will not have a problem in programming

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 9:13pm On Sep 09, 2020
devdev:

Wait are you sure you're programmer or a wordpress user. There is difference between being a programmer and a CMS user. You must be know maths to understand programming. You must know maths to build softwares, Banks apps, Ecommerce, Anti virus and the likes. OP you must know maths to be a programmer, However you don't need to know maths to be a wordpress user. The truth bites i understand but if you follow the proper steps, you will not have a problem in programming
Abeg Wetin you don program. I need to know. You are here mentioning theory, please tell me the maths in E-commerce software. Did OP tell you he needs to build Anti virus or Bank app?? It is people like you that like to complicate matters for people who need to learn.

Before end of tomorrow I need you to give me a solid and comprehensive reason why solid mathematical theories are needed in E-commerce applications, blogs, landing pages, chat applications, even in UI/UX design, school management portal, Inventory management websites, database management app, Mail servers etc.
I don’t mean divide and minus o. Real confirm integration and complex big(O) notation. With complex regression analysis and deep mathematical algorithms to back them up. Also use Alan Turing machine as a state representation to make things more understandable.

And please use a lot of mathematical/computational Jargons. If not then you are a joke. Let’s see if my four years of studying computer science and my three years of building backend codes is for waste.

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by Karleb(m): 9:50pm On Sep 09, 2020
stanliwise:
Abeg Wetin you don program. I need to know. You are here mentioning theory, please tell me the maths in E-commerce software. Did OP tell you he needs to build Anti virus or Bank app?? It is people like you that like to complicate matters for people who need to learn.

Before end of tomorrow I need you to give me a solid and comprehensive reason why solid mathematical theories are needed in E-commerce applications, blogs, landing pages, chat applications, even in UI/UX design, school management portal, Inventory management websites, database management app, Mail servers etc.
I don’t mean divide and minus o. Real confirm integration and complex big(O) notation. With complex regression analysis and deep mathematical algorithms to back them up. Also use Alan Turing machine as a state representation to make things more understandable.

And please use a lot of mathematical/computational Jargons. If not then you are a joke. Let’s see if my four years of studying computer science and my three years of building backend codes is for waste.

Calm down! cheesy grin

@OP you already know the math you'll need.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by Nobody: 9:54pm On Sep 09, 2020
OGWILLS123:

grin grin
not just you bro......

maths was so annoying.....worst is now, I cant remember when last I solved serious maths.
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by devdev: 9:55pm On Sep 09, 2020
stanliwise:

I am sorry i cannot banter words with you. I understand the kinda programmer you claim to be and i would advice the OP not to fall for your kind. You say i should tell you the maths in ecommerce software grin grin grin. Please take up the magento software and look into the code. Now back to the topic. OP never said he wants to learn how to use wordpress like you. He said he wants to be a programmer and programmers are people who build these softwares i just listed. They are people who solves tech problems and if the OP must be in this class, he must learn maths. The truth bites i understand but it's FACT
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by Nobody: 10:00pm On Sep 09, 2020
stanliwise:

If your are not building scientific softwares/products then many library are now so abstract that you don’t need any math knowledge at all.
Bro maths has a close relationship with programming, the association between French and Yoruba is too much of an exaggeration compared with math and programming.
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 09, 2020
devdev:

This is not true brother, maths is mostly needed in software that handles real life data. And by the way, I think the person you are quoting is a CS graduate (I am not sure but I know him very well)
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 09, 2020
devdev:

I am sorry i cannot banter words with you. I understand the kinda programmer you claim to be and i would advice the OP not to fall for your kind. You say i should tell you the maths in ecommerce software grin grin grin. Please take up the magento software and look into the code. Now back to the topic. OP never said he wants to learn how to use wordpress like you. He said he wants to be a programmer and programmers are people who build these softwares i just listed. They are people who solves tech problems and if the OP must be in this class, he must learn maths. The truth bites i understand but it's FACT
Please tell us how maths is needed for antivirus software.
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 10:23pm On Sep 09, 2020
devdev:

https://github.com/magento/magento2
That url is the GitHub link to the official Magneto version 2 community edition software. I dare you to find a script with heavy mathematical calculation that will prevent anyone from learning programming language. Failure to do this I will ignore you as I don’t want to derail this thread and you have nothing to offer to better this discussion.
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 10:32pm On Sep 09, 2020
SegFault:

Please tell us how maths is needed for antivirus software.
For antivirus software a time comes when you need some form of maths especially for virus signature and gibberish, and you need to work with low level libraries at some point which deal with a lot of bit manipulation.
But the OP just need to learn how to create simple software and write every day code. And this nigga start mentioning bank apps and antivirus software. Haba I fear some people o
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 10:35pm On Sep 09, 2020
SegFault:

This is not true brother, maths is mostly needed in software that handles real life data. And by the way, I think the person you are quoting is a CS graduate (I am not sure but I know him very well)
Don’t mind that guy o. I understand how maths is very useful for data apps and heavy computational applications.
But OP need to just learn how to communicate with computer.
For example python is very close to English language and with so much Robust one line import library that even young people with barely advance maths skill Can work with and do stuffs. No one is talking of using Assembly, Rust or C here, or Big(O) notations. But he just wanna scare young mind coming to know programming.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by devdev: 11:23pm On Sep 09, 2020
stanliwise:
For antivirus software a time comes when you need some form of maths especially for virus signature and gibberish, and you need to work with low level libraries at some point which deal with a lot of bit manipulation.
But the OP just need to learn how to create simple software and write every day code. And this nigga start mentioning bank apps and antivirus software. Haba I fear some people o
Where did OP mention that he just needs to learn how to create a basic software. I am not telling the OP to go and study maths in UNI. But c'mon the OP said he knows nothing in Maths. How do you handle transactions without knowing anything about maths, How do you create a fullstack role management with specific capabilies without knowing anything in Maths. I have never seen an interview where you will not be given a maths problem to solve with programming. I ask again, are you a programmer. If you are then speak fact.
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by devdev: 11:27pm On Sep 09, 2020
stanliwise:

https://github.com/magento/magento2
That url is the GitHub link to the official Magneto version 2 community edition software. I dare you to find a script with heavy mathematical calculation that will prevent anyone from learning programming language. Failure to do this I will ignore you as I don’t want to derail this thread and you have nothing to offer to better this discussion.
If you looked through the magento codes and you feel people that wrote those codes are people who HATE MATHS and KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT MATHS like the OP then i have nothing to say to you. Keep mentoring the OP. But i will tell the op fact. Learn maths before programming because you will surely meet logical maths in programming
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by Sulele04(m): 12:02am On Sep 10, 2020
OGWILLS123
Pls ignore people like mr stanliwise they know nothing about programming. Nah small php and wordpress they learn make them they speak GIBBERISH.

mathematical knowledge is needed to develop softwares which programmers do, matrix computations,linear algebra,approximation algorithms, infact almost all algorithms involve maths.
infact mathematics is bedrock of core programming.
people like staliwise know nothing about computing and programming, they think using functions and classes of all-ready made libraries and frameworks like laravel and codeigniter served on a PLATTER OF GOLD makes them programmers when they are nothing but CODERS.

i advice you to start by downloading and reading
(developmental mathematics for college students. Author: alan s tussy,r david gustafson, diane r koenig) from pdfdrive.com
This is the best book to start learning mathematics.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 12:13am On Sep 10, 2020
Sulele04:
OGWILLS123
Pls ignore people like mr stanliwise they know nothing about programming. Nah small php and wordpress they learn make them they speak GIBBERISH.

mathematical knowledge is needed to develop softwares which programmers do, matrix computations,linear algebra,approximation algorithms, infact almost all algorithms involve maths.
infact mathematics is bedrock of core programming.
people like staliwise know nothing about computing and programming, they think using functions and classes of all-ready made libraries and frameworks like laravel and codeigniter served on a PLATTER OF GOLD makes them programmers when they are nothing but CODERS.

i advice you to start by downloading and reading
(developmental mathematics for college students. Author: alan s tussy,r david gustafson, diane r koenig) from pdfdrive.com
This is the best book to start learning mathematics.
I don't roll with kids in mud.
You are not my match. Cheap attention seeker
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by Sulele04(m): 12:19am On Sep 10, 2020
stanliwise:

I don't roll with kids in mud.
You are not my match. Cheap attention seeker
Mr staliwise is this the best response you can come up with.
honestly this is lame, you can do better
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by devdev: 12:34am On Sep 10, 2020
Sulele04:

Mr staliwise is this the best response you can come up with.
That's the best he can come up with. No proof to backup his claims. He is Wordpress user claiming programmer and wants every newbie to be like him. I hope he's not mentoring anyone
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by Sulele04(m): 12:42am On Sep 10, 2020
devdev:

That's the best he can come up with. No proof to backup his claims. He is Wordpress user claiming programmer and wants every newbie to be like him. I hope he's not mentoring anyone
He is a junkie for the spotlight not a programmer.
his type like misleading newbies so that when they start having challenges because of lack of simple mathematical and algebraic knowledge, they would end up like him a low-budget wordpress user.
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by hustler2828: 1:07am On Sep 10, 2020
The truth is for you to go far in programming you need mathematics. We are not talking about storing and printing variables programmers. As a matter of fact programming is applied mathematics . If you don't want to be an average programmer learn mathematics. Almost all successful programmers have one thing in common, they love mathematics.
Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 1:22am On Sep 10, 2020
hustler2828:
The truth is for you to go far in programming you need mathematics. We are not talking about storing and printing variables programmers. As a matter of fact programming is applied mathematics . If you don't want to be an average programmer learn mathematics. Almost all successful programmers have one thing in common, they love mathematics.
OP said he wants to take a career path In programming not computing science. You people need to use Wikipedia to understand who a programmer is vs a computer scientist.
I am tired of spelling this out.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 1:37am On Sep 10, 2020
Sulele04:

Mr stanliwise is this the best response you can come up with.
Discredit me all you want but know
I know a true computer scientist when I spot one. Most people here on nairaland are just not informed at all.
All you just mention is a computer scientist work not a programmer work. I don’t know how many time I will keep telling guys the difference between a computer scientist and a programmer. Hian

I am a computer scientist and a programmer does not mean all programmers are computer scientist. In fact most software coder were not responsible for the computational complexity of most system. For example
Mark Zukerberg and Bill gate created a lot of complex software by just being a programmer. Did they know alot of mathematics? capital NO!
Current Facebook and Microsoft can serve the world with a click of a button that you can thank the computer scientist not a programmer.

I snipped this from the bosses themselves (Stack Overflow)

Re: I Want To Go Into Programming But Very Bad At Math, Any Advice by stanliwise(m): 1:55am On Sep 10, 2020
Sulele04:

He is a junkie for the spotlight not a programmer.
his type like misleading newbies so that when they start having challenges because of lack of simple mathematical and algebraic knowledge, they would end up like him a low-budget wordpress user.
I am computing scientist. I will be happy if I could be a spotlight programmer but my codes are wacky.
In fact my codes look bad if written but performs so well and secured when used. wink wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Build A Forum Like Nairaland? / SOLOLEARN: The Easiest Way To Learn Programming for Beginners / Programmers Chat Room.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.