Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,497 members, 7,770,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:03 AM

Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils (35462 Views)

Pupils Of A Primary School Climbing Fence / A Primary School Where Pupils Wear Chelsea Jersey As Their Sportswear (Photos) / Parents Reject N5000 Insurance Levy For Pupils In Unity Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Emmysteve(m): 7:27am On Oct 05, 2014
A teacher, Mrs. Ayoade Opeogun, who renovated her classroom at Methodist Nursery and Primary school, Abeokuta, Ogun State, speaks with MOTUNRAYO JOEL about what motivated her action

Please introduce yourself.

My name is Ayoade Opeogun and I have five children. I was trained as a nursery and primary
school teacher at Olabisi Onabanjo University; I graduated in 2003. I teach Nursery Two pupils at
Methodist Nursery and Primary School.

When did you join your current school?

I was transferred to the school in 2011. I was previously at St. Johnson Primary School, Kuto,
Abeokuta in Ogun State.

How many pupils do you have in your class?
I have about 36 pupils.

When you were transferred to the school, what were the things you noticed?

When I joined the school, I noticed that it was not conducive to learning. The buildings were
dilapidated; the floor in the classrooms had potholes, even the classroom’s ceiling was off. It
wasn’t a classroom to teach children. I complained to the school management that I couldn’t
teach in such an environment and they said I should do whatever I felt had to do. That was when
I decided to renovate the classroom.

What did you do?

I got a bricklayer to re-plaster the floor, then I fixed the ceiling and roof. I repainted the walls
inside and outside and I decorated them with educational nursery images and symbols. I also
equipped the classroom with teaching and learning aids such as television, DVD and picture
chats. I also brought in a standing fan and window blind.

There was no electricity in the class; so I went to the Power Holding Company of Nigeria and
pleaded with the workers there to install electricity in the class which they did. I did other minor
things in the classroom. At the end of the day, I spent about N400, 000.

Did the school management make a complaint about the state of the school to the government?

They did complain, but I believe the state government is doing its best to renovate all public
schools. But if a teacher is teaching in a classroom that isn’t conducive, the teacher should do
what is necessary, even if it means spending his or her money. If we have to wait till the
government is ready to renovate our classrooms, pupils will be the ones to suffer.

What motivated you to spend so much?

My love for my pupils motivated me. I couldn’t stand seeing them learning in such an
environment. When I started renovating the class, I started little by little; I never thought I would
go that far. I spent 11 months salaries to renovate the classroom. Each month, after collecting
my salary, I would remove a certain amount to renovate the class. Later when I finished, I told
the State Universal Basic Education Board that I wanted to dedicate the class in memory of my
mother and they allowed me. My mother solely funded my education; I lost my father at a tender
age. If not because of her, I won’t be where I am today. The children are enjoying the classroom
now. They are so happy and eager to learn, I noticed that their grades improved greatly after the
renovation. They are so enthusiastic to learn.

How did the school react?

At first when I started, I got discouraged by teachers, they kept giving me reasons why I
shouldn’t renovate the class, but I stood my ground and followed my heart. I made up my mind
to do it. When it became a reality, they now realised the importance of all what I did. The school
authorities were happy about it. I wanted the classroom to be like the ones I see in private
schools. Even the pupils’ parents expressed happiness. People didn’t expect me to do what I did,
I was happy that I made a difference in the lives of the pupils.

How did the government react?

I don’t know. I’m not aware if SUBEB informed the government or not.

What else do you plan to do in your classroom?

I’m planning to buy a two and a half mattress, chairs and tables for the pupils. Now, we have
wooden benches in the classroom. I hope to have bought all these things before resumption.

Didn’t the money you spent drain your purse?

No, maybe because all my children except one are grown up thus I don’t have many
responsibilities.

Did you get help from any individual or corporate organisation?

No I didn’t. I didn’t even approach anyone. I did it all by myself with God by my side.
If you didn’t spend that money on your class, what would you have used it for?

Maybe I could have bought a new car or bought myself something expensive, but nothing beats
education. I’m happy to see my pupils happy. I kept wondering how I would leave a beautiful
home to teach in a dilapidated classroom. It was saddening, and moreover, I was a level 12
officer then, it would be a shame on my part to teach in such a classroom.

Do you regret your action?

No. Rather, I’m happy and full of joy.

What is your advice to the government?

When a governor comes into power, they make so many promises, but don’t keep half of them.
Governors should learn to keep their promises especially in the area of education. Also,
whenever, they give out a contract that has to do with education, they should follow it up, until it
becomes a reality.

What is your advice to teachers?

They should help the indigent, most of them are found in public schools. Teachers should try
and make a difference in their lives. One may think they won’t appreciate it, but it’s not true.

What is your view about teachers’ welfare?

Teachers need to be celebrated. A large percentage of teachers in the country are poorly paid,
and when there is no money, a teacher will not be motivated to teach. Governments across the
country should boost teachers’ welfare. Whether we like it or not, teachers play a major role in
the society; a lot of us won’t be where we are if not because of the teachers that taught us.
How did your husband feel about the expenses you incurred while renovating the classroom?
He was very supportive. He gave me the go-ahead.

Do you sometimes wish you were in a private school?

I do, however, I left the private sector for the public sector because they didn’t have pension at
that time.

If you were not a teacher, what would you have been?

Teaching is my passion, but if I weren’t a teacher, I would have been a nurse. I like taking care of
people.

We are proud of our mum —Opeogun’s children

Were you comfortable with her spending her salary on renovating a classroom?

Adeola: At the initial stage, I wasn’t comfortable with it. I felt unhappy, but after some time, I got
over it. I realised that I couldn’t stop her. She is the type of person that wants her impact to be
felt wherever she is.

Adebisi: I’m proud of what she did, if I had my way, I would do much more for those children.
Most pupils in public schools don’t have the opportunity of learning in a good classroom. She
brought the private school setting into her classroom.

Adefemi: I must say, not everyone can afford to send their children to private schools. All what
my mother did was to give her pupils an opportunity to see what a private school classroom
looks like. I’m proud of what she did; one rarely finds someone who can give out money to help
others.

How do you feel about what your mother did?

Adeola: When she first informed me about her plans, I felt happy and I felt it was necessary. My
mother is someone who likes to help people. She has a soft heart.

www.punchng.com/education/teacher-spends-n400000-on-classroom-for-pupils/

223 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Moblord(m): 8:32am On Oct 05, 2014
Wow

5 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 05, 2014
How I wish I had a good heart.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 05, 2014
The Nigerian educational section is a Hoax. This is nothing out of the ordinary. A norm. cool
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Babyboy1986(m): 9:22am On Oct 05, 2014
Nice one

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 05, 2014
This is great and lovely. Our teachers should be treated with the highest priorities.

8 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by klem93(m): 9:22am On Oct 05, 2014
Ise oluwa iyanu loje sha!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked this is impressive

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by yuzjet(m): 9:23am On Oct 05, 2014
*Good samaritan*.... May God reward u cos am impressed.

God, u know I have a soft heart already, I only needs money to show it. Kindly provide for me. grin

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by klem93(m): 9:24am On Oct 05, 2014
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by yuzjet(m): 9:24am On Oct 05, 2014
If I had money, will do much more.

3 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Nobody: 9:24am On Oct 05, 2014
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by foliman(m): 9:25am On Oct 05, 2014
Whao... Good move!
MORE GREASE TO YOUR ELBOW.
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by luvlyoracle(m): 9:25am On Oct 05, 2014

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by hadassah27: 9:25am On Oct 05, 2014
Quite interesting
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Nobody: 9:25am On Oct 05, 2014
Nice one ...this is a patriot not all these apc and pdp eThugs.

14 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 05, 2014
Can you imagine,and yet the people that stole billions can remove 10kobo for renovation.

Human empathy is given to all,but not everybody can use it.

May God continue to bless the teacher.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 05, 2014
Picture of the classroom woulda been good. God bless this woman smiley

20 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by bensowe(m): 9:26am On Oct 05, 2014
My favourite
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by wellmax(m): 9:26am On Oct 05, 2014
Great selfless service. Rare in our kind of society

5 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by victorazy(m): 9:26am On Oct 05, 2014
Just for one classrom?
She must have studied in abroad!
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by QMark: 9:26am On Oct 05, 2014
kolykoldy:
How I wish I had a good heart.

Funny
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by yungdamaz(m): 9:27am On Oct 05, 2014
I duff ma hat shocked

4 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by colossus2: 9:29am On Oct 05, 2014
Nice one tisha.
Happy sunday fellas

16 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by omenka(m): 9:29am On Oct 05, 2014
Just look at this man...., yet national awards are given to the Theodore Orjis and Gabriel Suswams of this country...

PDP is a mistake that was never meant to happen!

32 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Nobody: 9:30am On Oct 05, 2014
May the good lord replenish your pocket a billion time. Kudos to a Patriotic Nigerian

11 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Rogers210(m): 9:30am On Oct 05, 2014
That is one jolly good citizen.

3 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by colossus2: 9:30am On Oct 05, 2014
victorazy:
Just for one classrom?
She must have studied in abroad!
In naija, inflation is constant grin

2 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Henrypraise: 9:30am On Oct 05, 2014
I remembered I made a post sumtym ago dat d Doctors hu treated n curtailed ebola in nigeria did notin out of d ordinary though dia actions ar commendable n nlander wanted to crucify me, now dis woman is an example of sumbody doin sumtin dat is commendable, she mustnt die first like d case of d female Doc.

Nigerians shud take a cue, dis woman stand to gain notin, not even consultation fee as in d case of doctors, notin she only want d best 4 her pple.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by Heyliesha(m): 9:31am On Oct 05, 2014
Good example

3 Likes

Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by eleko1: 9:31am On Oct 05, 2014
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by eleko1: 9:33am On Oct 05, 2014
smiley
Re: Teacher Spends N400,000 To Renovate Classroom For Pupils by bist: 9:33am On Oct 05, 2014
Ok, ur reward is in heaven, next post pls!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos To Employ 2,000 Primary School Teachers, Plans To Re-Open Schools / Correction: Clarifying The Content Of The New JAMB Modalities For Admission / Help!!! My Friend Made 2.2 And She's Been Misbehaving..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.