Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,736 members, 7,955,804 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:31 PM

Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? (1936 Views)

Herdsmen Attack: We May Resort To Self Defence, Town Unions, Abia.. / Fayose Is On The Road To Self-destruction — Prof. Sagay / Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 11:21am On Oct 05, 2014
With the dilapidated state of this country may be is time pple start to look at ways of doing things for themselves.

First let me ask?

How much will it cost to tye/tile/cobble a 1km rd?

What if residents of a street all save money for five years and fix the the street instead of
Living among filth and waiting for a govt that seem to have forgotten its citizens.

Just a thot.
What do u think?

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by teemy(m): 11:52am On Oct 05, 2014
I had never had to hope or rely on the govt to do anything for me. The very first time I really felt the impact of govt in my life was when I collected my NYSC uniform. It is better to go by the saying of what can you do for your country and not wait for what your country can do for you. NIce observation bebe2.

I am already seein an example here https://www.nairaland.com/1933986/teacher-spends-n400000-renovate-classroom
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 12:03pm On Oct 05, 2014
teemy:
I had never had to hope or rely on the govt to do anything for me. The very first time I really felt the impact of govt in my life was when I collected my NYSC uniform. It is better to go by the saying of what can you do for your country and not wait for what your country can do for you. NIce observation bebe2.

Good for you.

Others seem to just sit and wait endlessly.
An example is the street where my father in law lives.
The street was seem quiet motor able but the entrance where it leads to the major rd is bad. I mean really bad? Stagnant water, algae growing on it and a trillion mosquitos breeding. And they waiting fit oshiomole to come and fix it.

Why can they contribute money and get the youths to fix it?

How many oshiomole go fit do?
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gtrust: 12:09pm On Oct 05, 2014
Not a good idea and should NOT be encouraged!!!

If your community is badly in need of government's presence and government continues to be absent then do it the proper way:
1- government is not broke!
2- set up a charity towards your community needs
3- pay your contributions to the charity and keep evidence
4- the charity will do the work
5- recoup your contributions to the charity from tax deduction

Therefore, instead of paying tax to an absent government you rather pay yourselves and "govern " yourselves!
Perfectly legal!

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 3:15pm On Oct 05, 2014
gtrust:
Not a good idea and should NOT be encouraged!!!

If your community is badly in need of government's presence and government continues to be absent then do it the proper way:
1- government is not broke!
2- set up a charity towards your community needs
3- pay your contributions to the charity and keep evidence
4- the charity will do the work
5- recoup your contributions to the charity from tax deduction

Therefore, instead of paying tax to an absent government you rather pay yourselves and "govern " yourselves!
Perfectly legal!

Hmmmm

I thought u said not a good idea.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gtrust: 5:14pm On Oct 05, 2014
bebe2:

Hmmmm

I thought u said not a good idea.

Not a good idea to just do government job directly without impact on government budget as that encourages corruption.

Government is NOT broke

Get your tax back and next time government will do the job!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 5:19pm On Oct 05, 2014
gtrust:

Not a good idea to just do government job directly without impact on government budget as that encourages corruption.

Government is NOT broke

Get your tax back and next time government will do the job!!!

which tax?

oga me no understand dat side o

i just wish pple can have the courage and resources to do their own thing.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gtrust: 5:24pm On Oct 05, 2014
bebe2:

which tax?

oga me no understand dat side o

i just wish pple can have the courage and resources to do their own thing.

I paid tax in Nigeria!
You can reclaim some tax for contributing to charity.
My company did!

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gtrust: 5:28pm On Oct 05, 2014
It's government responsibility to do those stuff and government (federal, state & local) have a lot of money!

When you do those jobs just like that, someone in government has claimed it!
Trust me.
When you do the same job through charity then you can claim.

If you have a company or you're civil servant then you must be paying tax in Nigeria!
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 05, 2014
teemy:
I had never had to hope or rely on the govt to do anything for me. The very first time I really felt the impact of govt in my life was when I collected my NYSC uniform.

The first time you felt the impact of govt was the first day you walked into primary, secondary school, plus university, unless it was your father that built those institutions, or they were all private.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 05, 2014
What za F**k then is the use of having a Govt
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gtrust: 9:58pm On Oct 05, 2014
Ibnsultan:
What za F**k then is the use of having a Govt

My exact point!!!

Yes, do your stuff but make sure you get it back another way from the same government and that is TAX!
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by teemy(m): 10:55am On Oct 06, 2014
ROSSIKE:

The first time you felt the impact of govt was the first day you ...
there is a difference in seeing and acknowledging. we see the works of govt on most paved roads. the full impact was not felt till then.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 4:27pm On Oct 06, 2014
gtrust:
It's government responsibility to do those stuff and government (federal, state & local) have a lot of money!

When you do those jobs just like that, someone in government has claimed it!
Trust me.
When you do the same job through charity then you can claim.

If you have a company or you're civil servant then you must be paying tax in Nigeria!

Ok , so for how long shall we wait do d govt.

According to this ur theory if my husband no give me money for food , me and my kids shud happily starve to death?
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
gtrust:

My exact point!!!

Yes, do your stuff but make sure you get it back another way from the same government and that is TAX!

Does dis apply to average person like self employed or regular employees?

I can understand the big shots in the society knowing how navigate d system but not the average man.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gtrust: 4:51pm On Oct 06, 2014
bebe2:

Ok , so for how long shall we wait do d govt.

According to this ur theory if my husband no give me money for food , me and my kids shud happily starve to death?

Kai my sister!
You're taking this thing too far
Now, I will not allow my sister, my friends' sisters or any lady remotely related to me to marry and depend on husband! never

Back to topic:
It's actually the government's responsibility to provide you and your children with:
1- food (3 square meals)
2- shelter
3- drinking water (atleast 3 litres per day per human)
4- water upto 1 bucket a day per person per day
5- health care including primary (immunisation etc) secondary (malaria treatment etc), tertiary (big things like heart repalcement)
6- education: primary and secondary. University na you sabi
7- motorable road etc

Now, if you're husband is employed and the wife is a home-maker, your husband by law has to provide for you as he claims family tax bracket etc

Nigerians have to start demanding from their government otherwise there will be so much money available to the government to loot
You hear governor "stealing" abi taking so many millions in $ and you wonder whether the thing is real money or paper printed somewhere in lagos.
That is the money we are talking about.

Instead of you to tar/repair the road, go to channels TV or any reputable TV station and pay them to interview people and put it out there on how much you guys are suffering.
otherwise, just take pictures and paste them here on NAIRALAND for FREE or FACEBOOK ETC ETC!!!!

Sorry if I'm talking too much but please, let's make our government work for us.
The government of the people FOR the people BY the people
It is your money they're budgeting and spending!!! abi?
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 06, 2014
Government money is our money njot their money
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gtrust: 4:55pm On Oct 06, 2014
bebe2:

Does dis apply to average person like self employed or regular employees?

I can understand the big shots in the society knowing how navigate d system but not the average man.

When ELection time reach, they will come for campaign, make you too campaign for your needs and extract the incumbent local government chairman to do his work!!!
When you were building your house, did you pay local government tax
what do you think this is for

Funny question: who is your local government chairman
how much is your local government's monthly allocation
how much is your local government's internally generated revenue

You now see my point
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by BlackBaron: 5:09pm On Oct 06, 2014
Nigerians have been doing 'self help' since the beginning of time.

They generate their own water, electricity, pay for security, contribute to buy electricity poles, transformers and all...

It is our leaders that haven't stopped milking dry, fundings meant for development.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gatiano(m): 5:13pm On Oct 06, 2014
what can we expect? we a people are used and over worked for centuries and suddenly just left alone with basic knowledge of himself and his fathers. it shows that so many things in africa is a big fat large lie.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 6:24pm On Oct 06, 2014
gtrust:

Kai my sister!
You're taking this thing too far
Now, I will not allow my sister, my friends' sisters or any lady remotely related to me to marry and depend on husband! never

Back to topic:
It's actually the government's responsibility to provide you and your children with:
1- food (3 square meals)
2- shelter
3- drinking water (atleast 3 litres per day per human)
4- water upto 1 bucket a day per person per day
5- health care including primary (immunisation etc) secondary (malaria treatment etc), tertiary (big things like heart repalcement)
6- education: primary and secondary. University na you sabi
7- motorable road etc

Now, if you're husband is employed and the wife is a home-maker, your husband by law has to provide for you as he claims family tax bracket etc

Nigerians have to start demanding from their government otherwise there will be so much money available to the government to loot
You hear governor "stealing" abi taking so many millions in $ and you wonder whether the thing is real money or paper printed somewhere in lagos.
That is the money we are talking about.

Instead of you to tar/repair the road, go to channels TV or any reputable TV station and pay them to interview people and put it out there on how much you guys are suffering.
otherwise, just take pictures and paste them here on NAIRALAND for FREE or FACEBOOK ETC ETC!!!!

Sorry if I'm talking too much but please, let's make our government work for us.
The government of the people FOR the people BY the people
It is your money they're budgeting and spending!!! abi?

All this na theory , we re talking practical.

As for the husband matter, na example I dey give. Read am again u go get my point.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 6:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
BlackBaron:
Nigerians have been doing 'self help' since the beginning of time.

They generate their own water, electricity, pay for security, contribute to buy electricity poles, transformers and all...

It is our leaders that haven't stopped milking dry, fundings meant for development.

Abi o,

Maybe they need to do more.

As in, move into their environment and start fixing it just as they did wit electricity and water.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 6:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
barcanista:
Government money is our money njot their money

Ok, go collect am for their hand nahh grin
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gtrust: 12:03pm On Oct 07, 2014
bebe2:

Ok, go collect am for their hand nahh grin

If you "make noise loudly!!" Government go quickly solve your problems!
It has been like that since the days of Zebrudiah
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 8:50pm On Oct 07, 2014
gtrust:

If you "make noise loudly!!" Government go quickly solve your problems!
It has been like that since the days of Zebrudiah

So u r saying d reason why schools? Hospitals, roads are all in dilapidated state is becos the citizens haven't asked for them to be fixed?
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by gtrust: 8:55pm On Oct 07, 2014
bebe2:

So u r saying d reason why schools? Hospitals, roads are all in dilapidated state is becos the citizens haven't asked for them to be fixed?

GBAM!!!!!
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by OneNaira6: 9:00pm On Oct 07, 2014
Is the OP talking about the same Nigeria we know or another one?

The Nigeria where brother's can kill another brother simply because he got money or richer than them?

The same Nigeria were parents would sell off their own kids as house boy or housegirl just for money.

the same Nigerian were obas collect bribe to destroy their own way?

Is this the same Nigeria you asking why can't community come together to save money, etc.

Obviously OP, you don't know your Nigeria or it's people

1 Like

Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by egopersonified(f): 9:53pm On Oct 07, 2014
As much as we should be our best critic, I believe nigerians have always involved themselves in 'self help'. From water board, everyone now owns a borehole, our public transport system is majorly private owned, cleaning our streets and drainages, and I think the major part is that we are responsible for our nepa repairs even to the extent of buying transformers and metres. The constraint facing the road construction issue can be that it is capital intensive, again not everyone has a car on the street, so how do you share cost, heard sometimes the govt asks people to pay the money into the govt's account and they would repair the road, with our level of corruption, who would do that? Sometimes people stop others from repairing becos they are awaiting the contract to be awarded to them from the govt, so many issues. But some private individuals still tar the whole of their street alone. With time, we will get there.
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 11:11pm On Oct 08, 2014
OneNaira6:
Is the OP talking about the same Nigeria we know or another one?

The Nigeria where brother's can kill another brother simply because he got money or richer than them?

The same Nigeria were parents would sell off their own kids as house boy or housegirl just for money.

the same Nigerian were obas collect bribe to destroy their own way?

Is this the same Nigeria you asking why can't community come together to save money, etc.

Obviously OP, you don't know your Nigeria or it's people

yes, its dat nigeria.

we r not talking about saving money, we r talking about fixing their rds and other projects that will make their lives easier.

dnt forget, d rich also cry.

an erosion flooded rd is no fun for anyone, whether u r in a hummer or in a beettle
Re: Why Cant Nigerians Resort To Self Help? by bebe2(f): 11:13pm On Oct 08, 2014
egopersonified:
As much as we should be our best critic, I believe nigerians have always involved themselves in 'self help'. From water board, everyone now owns a borehole, our public transport system is majorly private owned, cleaning our streets and drainages, and I think the major part is that we are responsible for our nepa repairs even to the extent of buying transformers and metres. The constraint facing the road construction issue can be that it is capital intensive, again not everyone has a car on the street, so how do you share cost, heard sometimes the govt asks people to pay the money into the govt's account and they would repair the road, with our level of corruption, who would do that? Sometimes people stop others from repairing becos they are awaiting the contract to be awarded to them from the govt, so many issues. But some private individuals still tar the whole of their street alone. With time, we will get there.

well, i hope we do get there,

its taking awfully long though undecided undecided

(1) (Reply)

Rate Electricity Power Supply In Your Area / 2015: APC Contract Prevents Unsuccessful Aspirants from Defecting After Dec 10 / OPEC Sees Oil Prices Exploding To $200 A Barrel!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.