Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words (1559 Views)

My Husband Has Idolised Me And Now I'm Fed Up. Need Help / Former NFL Player's Mistriess Kidnap And Kills Wife Including Herself (photos) / After Being Single For 6 Years, Woman Marries Herself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 05, 2014
A woman so fed up with the dating and being single has taken the bull by the horn by becoming the first person in Britain to marry herself.

Grace Gelder began from top of the ritual – the engagement. She ‘proposed’ to herself on a park bench and staged a full wedding ceremony with 50 guests.

Grace Gelder throws the bridal bouquet at her wedding where she marries herself (Photo Credit: Mirror UK)

Gelder, a photographer, said that after being single for six years she had built up a brilliant relationship with herself – and creating that bond with someone else seemed like too much hard work.

She said a lyric from a Björk song Isobel, ‘My name’s Isobel, married to myself’, struck a chord with her and it was then she decided to walk solo down the aisle.

The matrimony was approached like an ordinary wedding. She proposed to herself in November 2013 and said ‘I do’ in March 2014.

Grace bought a dress, a ring, rehearsed vows and eventually wed in a farmhouse in rural Devon watched by her sister and friends -sealing the deal by planting a kiss on a mirror.

Speaking to the Guardian, Gelder said: “A few did comment, in a light-hearted way, that it was a bit narcissitic. Obviously, if you have just announced you’re marrying yourself, it is plainly a statement of self-love, and I was under no illusion how self-indulgent that might appear.

“But I was completely comfortable with my motivations. I’d been on a journey of personal development using meditation, dance and performance to increase my self-awareness.

“Included in this was a Shakti Tantra programme focused on sexuality and how this was bound up with making agreements with yourself and other people.

“Sitting on that park bench, it dawned on me that a self-marriage ceremony witnessed by other people would potentially be this massively powerful means of making those agreements stick.”

She was wed by her friend Tiu, a celebrant, who backed her plans and said the deal would set her up for a new phase of life.

Gelder, like every other bride-to-be, suffered pre-wedding jitters only a month before the big day and had to be convinced she was doing the right thing.

The wedding is not recognised by law anyway but Gelder is glad she is no longer a ‘single’ lady.

She added: “It felt like a really big deal saying my vows, which were mostly about me promising to take more risks in matters of the heart. I really don’t see it as any kind of feminist statement, but creating a wedding of this kind on my own terms felt incredibly empowering.”

Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by tomsniel(m): 11:51am On Oct 05, 2014
Wonders shall never end with this oyinbo people o. Imagine she stil dey throw her bouquet sef.
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Sparrow13: 11:55am On Oct 05, 2014

4 Likes

Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 05, 2014
na so i see am oooo Wonders shall never end,nothing wey we no go see for this World
Sparrow13:
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Nobody: 12:06pm On Oct 05, 2014
Schizophrenia in the making !!
Later-on , we may have news caption :

''woman who marry herself is now suffering from mind-madness'' !!
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Tallesty1(m): 12:12pm On Oct 05, 2014
grin

2 Likes

Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by datguru: 12:12pm On Oct 05, 2014
English people must be crazy
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by foxyac3(m): 12:13pm On Oct 05, 2014
But why? End time signs
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 05, 2014
this one go craze from "self service".
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 05, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin shey naija babe fit do this one sha just wondering
krall:
this one go craze from "self service".
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by kika23(f): 1:31pm On Oct 05, 2014
But what's the difference? She's still single anyway....

2 Likes

Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Nobody: 1:36pm On Oct 05, 2014
kika23:
But what's the difference? She's still single anyway....
I'd that you in your dp?

Your signature though...
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by kika23(f): 1:58pm On Oct 05, 2014
krall:
I'd that you in your dp?

Your signature though...
Yes sir, that's me... My signature... grin grin but it's true..
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Vikky014(f): 2:08pm On Oct 05, 2014
this is funny o grin
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by tobechi20(m): 2:16pm On Oct 05, 2014
I will marry myself too
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Nobody: 2:23pm On Oct 05, 2014
I wish her and herself a happy married life.

1 Like

Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by iamrealdeji(m): 4:41pm On Oct 05, 2014
tobechi20:
I will marry myself too

Reverend father
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by Nobody: 5:14pm On Oct 05, 2014
I love me some me hehehe
Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by SisterCaro(m): 5:17pm On Oct 05, 2014
She is better off than some women who marry useless men who cheat and abuse them sef. All their good for is drinking palm wine and farting in their sleep.

2 Likes

Re: Woman Gets Fed Up With Being Single And Marries Herself. Photos And Her Words by bennyrazz: 5:32pm On Oct 05, 2014
madness have grades shaa

(1) (Reply)

Pictorial Tests(riddles)....step In---- / Alert!!! Spoiling Food. / Mother Slays With Her Cute And Beautiful Daughters.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.