Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

Igala Language In Anambra State. - Culture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igala Language In Anambra State. (86617 Views)

Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Aurthur Eze In Anambra (Photos) / The Igala People In Anambra State / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Konquest: 4:25am On Nov 27, 2017
bigfrancis21:

I noticed you keep reposting certain quotes, maybe out of your own indulgence or something. In case you don't know, Anambra does not derive from Omambala. It derives from the Anam people, who live close to the Anambra river. The state was originally described by the British as starting from the 'Anam branch' of the river, from whence 'Anam bra' stuck. It may surprise you to know that the Umuleri people call the same river Onwubala. Omambala coming from 'Omaobale' really does not make any sense if you look at it. Omambala as a word itself has meaning in Igbo, if we were to look at it that way, and it means 'beauty of the environment', a beautiful environment which Anambra is even known for.
^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^
@bigfrancis21

Thanks for your response. smiley
This thread should help in clarifying
issues on history and language etymology
as well.

I have noted your citation of the Anam
hypothesis as the source of the
name Anambra. Some sites have even
stated that Omambala is the source
of the name Anambra.

The Omambala/Anambra Igala definition
is what I gleaned from the mainstream
media and even on Nairaland/online from
Igalas within the last 27 years that I first
took interest in the Eri/Igala history.

The British colonists corrupted African words such as Owerri which is actually
spelt as Owerre in Ibo, Enugu is Enugwu,
Sokoto is actually Sakwato in Hausa pronunciation.

I will read more on the Anam origins
of Anambra as you have indicated in your post,
and since you have Anambra/Enugu origins
yourself, it will be easy for you to point
out any discrepancies and urban legends pertaining
to Anambra/Igala/Ibo interactions.

All the best!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Konquest: 4:34am On Nov 27, 2017
MEILYN:
Well, as much as I think I have no reason to explain anything to you, I really think your idiocy on this platform needs to be checked. You thought I was lying when I said I am from Kogi State and I have lived in Lagos all my life.

Lol, here are my birth certificate and state of origin certificate. This will clearly keep you in Check. Why you think I am lying baffles me, maybe everyone should have a Yoruba friend according to you.

They will be deleted soon though..
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
@ Meilyn

It's been up to 4 months since I chatted
with you on a Politics thread topic where you
were "just having fun!" smiley

Good to see your brief posts on this thread.
Hope you can contribute your piece
here as a true Oma Igala. smiley

On the 1st page of the: "I Want to Learn Igala Language" thread which was started 2 days ago by @IgalaSchool, and is already 6 pages as of today, I posted
some information from Saturday Punch
of 26th August, 2017 where HRM Attah
Michael Ameh Oboni talked about the
origins of Igala people being an amalgam of
Wukari Jukun, Yoruba, Bini, and some Ibo.
It was a very illuminating 2-page interview
from your king. You can check out the
thread and Punch article online
if you haven't.

@ Laudate, I can confirm that Meilyn
is an Igala and has never hidden it on NL.
I have been reading
some of his useful posts going back to a couple
of years now on NL. He is who he says
he is.

All the best!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Konquest: 7:08am On Nov 27, 2017
laudate:

Keep who in check? Me?? shocked Don't make me laugh. cool Like I said, I find your lies and ignorance quite entertaining. Do carry on... cheesy At such a young age of 22 years, you still have time to get rid of your ignorance, before it is too late.
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
grin

@Laudate
How are you doing today?

@Meilyn is actually a real-blooded Igala guy
and he is who he says he is. I've known
him from his previous useful posts on Nairaland
going back to some years now as an Igala. smiley
He's also lived in Lagos as well!

You know people leave a digital trail online
that gives them away, but Meilyn is Igala.

All the best!

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by MEILYN(m): 7:30am On Nov 27, 2017
Konquest:

^^^^^^
^^^^^^
@ Meilyn

It's been up to 4-5 months since I chatted
with you on a Politics thread topic where you
were just having fun! smiley

Good to see your brief posts on this thread.
Hope you can contribute your piece
here as a true Oma Igala. smiley

On the 1st page of the: "I Want to Learn Igala Language" thread which was started 2 days ago by @IgalaSchool, and is already 6 pages as of today, I posted
some information from Saturday Punch
of 26th August, 2017 where HRM Attah
Michael Ameh Oboni talked about the
origins of Igala people being an amalgam of
Wukari Jukun, Yoruba, Bini, and some Ibo.
It was a very illuminating 2-page interview
from your king. You can check it out if you
if you haven't.

@ Laudate, I can confirm that Meilyn
is an Igala and has never hidden it on NL.
I have been reading
some of his useful posts going back to a couple
of years now on NL. He is who he says
he is.

All the best!

Wow, thanks a million. I will check that up Friend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by laudate: 10:54am On Nov 27, 2017
Konquest:

^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^
grin

@Laudate
How are you doing today?

@Meilyn is actually a real-blooded Igala guy
and he is who he says he is. I've known
him from his previous useful posts on Nairaland
go back to some years now as an Igala. smiley
He's also lived in Lagos as well!

You know people leave a digital trail online
that gives them away, but Meilyn is Igala.

All the best!

Thanks bro.' But his claims of living in Lagos all his life, without having any friends among the indigenes, are rather baffling

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Konquest: 10:31pm On Nov 27, 2017
laudate:

Thanks bro.' But his claims of living in Lagos all his life, without having any friends among the indigenes, are rather baffling
^^^^^^
^^^^^^
@Laudate

I'm just seeing your post, hope you had
a great day today? smiley

I think his claims might have to do with
his area of residence in Lagos...or it could also
be that he may have perceived hurt from
rejection and/or altercation with some SW people
or indigenes. It's all about subconscious
perceptions and the people we have within our
inner circle of influence!

But I find Meilyn to be a likeable
person though I've never met him before
but only interacted online with him.

All the best!

2 Likes

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by hitmanogo: 7:21pm On Nov 27, 2020
What about indigenous Igbos in kogi state??
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by hitmanogo: 7:27pm On Nov 27, 2020
we don't hv any Igbo who is a idigine of kogi state
says who? There are indigenous Igbos in kogi state please....
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by IDENNAA(m): 9:28pm On Nov 27, 2020
Please , as my as I love my Igala brethren the word Omanbala didn't originate from Igala town like a person here claimed. Omanbala is a common surname in many Anambra towns and we real meaning. Oma afia, Oma iru , Oma mbala all have true meaning that prove they are Igbo words. Mbala means open land /farm land
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by waze63(m): 11:52pm On Nov 27, 2020
Klinee:
The Igala in Anambra comprises of many towns;NZAM(headqauter and also the largest town in Anambra west, also the largest oil deposit in Anambra state), INNOMA, OWELLE,UKWALA, ODEKPE,IGBEDOR, IGBOKEYI,ODE, ALLAH and ONUGWA. We lies at the river Niger and omambala coast. Located in Anambra west L.G.A. We have 98% of oil deposit in anambra state. Predominantly farmers,fishing, we are the food basket of nation. Our language is gradually going into extintion. We speak Igala but most our young ones today speak Igbo more than our language. I dont know if they are feeling shy to speak the language, i remember meeting one of my town person at onitsha, i greeted him in Igala he answered me in Igbo ,it goes like this" ME: John kayi dee? JOHN: nnaa! Udo di,ME: kabe enale? JOHN: nnaa! Ka munwa fu madu ebaa." I think the government of Anambra state is not doing well to Igala language just as they do to Igbo language. I know that we are minority language in Anambra with about 5% of the population. It dosnt mean that we shouldnt be value. The government only recognise and promote Igbo language, where igbo language is being taught in every basic and post primary schools in the state. I remember in my primary school days in village where the teachers(IBOS) normally constrain us not to speak Igala in forecorner of school,is either we speak Igbo or English. In the government media companies; Abs 1 & 2 radio, Abs awka tv, Abs onitsha tv, purity radio, Nta awka tv, Nta onitsha tv and many other private radio and tv stations in Anambra. Out of all these media companies only one station allow Igala language that is Abs 2. And the programme takes 10mins only in a day with just two occurance in a week. We have two languages in Anambra; Igbo and Igala. The government need to help and promote our language. I think inferiority complex is affecting our young ones due to the fact that the language is not being promoted to people of Anambra. If we are conversing in our language maybe in any of the major cities in anambra, the igbos around normally refer us as foreigner in the state because many never know that we are full blooded Anambrian. Imagine commissioner of information,tourism & culture(now former) Hon. Maja Umeh saying in a live interveiw that he did not know that igala is in anambra. We have also had discrimination mostly people from anambra central&south,enugu,abia,imo claiming that we are not anambrian. I want to use this medium to appeal to government of anambra state. If it will be possible to appoint two or three igala indigene as commissioner or any appointive position. Secondly to charge the medias to employ igalas to enable them create a programme where the language will be desseminate to people.
Thanks for this.... This is very educative
Pls can I upload this on my site?
So that more people can read and get to know this uncommon truth
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Klinee: 11:52am On Nov 28, 2020
waze63:
Thanks for this.... This is very educative Pls can I upload this on my site? So that more people can read and get to know this uncommon truth
sure

1 Like

Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by Omahjasper(m): 10:46pm On Sep 06, 2022
Abagworo:

You have refused to seek knowledge and write out of ignorance. The language spoken in many parts of Ohaji area of Imo State is Ikwerre language. Egbema in Imo State also speaks same Egbema with the part carved into Rivers State. Oguta speaks Ukwuani/Aboh and parts of Ngor-Okpala speak Etche. Itu Mbon Uzo is not Igbo but an Ibibioid language.

http://books.google.nl/books?id=9c_HAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq=itu+mbuzo+people&source=bl&ots=QWgUNhWcRX&sig=N8YZpQA_32Y0YB5V-wXc5Gj6bHo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jLFFVNb7I8muPMG4gOgM&redir_esc=y

Read that link

http://www.everyculture.com/Africa-Middle-East/Ibibio-Orientation.html

Now when you come down to Aba area there exists several "Mgboko" villages that speak Ngwa and are Ngwa today. Try to find out the role of Ibibio in Mgboko formation. In fact Mgboko is another name for Ibibioid people.

http://www.ethnologue.com/language/itm/view/***EDITION***
no mgbooko means world � earth in ikwo dialect of Ebonyi state
Re: Igala Language In Anambra State. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:34am On Sep 07, 2022
Omahjasper:
no mgbooko means world � earth in ikwo dialect of Ebonyi state

Mgboko (Mgbọkọ) in Ngwa is not the same one in Ikwo lect. Mgboko are an offshoot of Ibeme, and they are not Ibibiod, which we know as “Mmogho” (corruption of mmong).

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

South African Lady Goes Topless To Celebrate Her Culture With Pride / Ooni Ogunwusi Blasted For Kneeling In Church / Names Of Animal In Efik/ibibio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.