Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? (2254 Views)

Nigerian Music Is Better Than America's / Enya's Music Is Satanic? / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 7:26pm On Nov 09, 2008
Pardon me, but I need your opinion on this. Why is it that ever since the "new millenium" nigerian artistes have never ceased to surprise us with meaningless slangs embodied in their songs?

I mean, when it was just 'Tongolo', 'no long thing', 'nothing dey happen' it was cool and refreshing, (I think). Then weird stuffs like 'efrebor' can to the surface, like wth?? Maybe we shoulda seen this coming from the 'woske - yeewo' lady?

I was suprised to go through Nairaland today and found song titles like 'Disco Peperemepe' (are we supposed to move backwards or forwards?), 'skiboropopo', kalangolo.

Others are just obscene like Lala's Idi nla, what the heck is going on? Like seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they have to be 'britiko' or 'yankee-ish' about this but there should be a little bit of reasoning when naming/making a track.

Even things like 'kamakaze on a kentro level', if you ain't going to say what it means, take it out of the song. If it's some cult slang, damn! every listener has been hypnotized. Lol.

But on a more serious note, we need musicians with deep thoughts and not just those that want to make it quick by saying every rude word under the sun? It's good to try to be on the US standard but Americanization is not the key. neither is being RAZZ and vulgar. It's good to try innovative things in songs but nah, too many slangs just kill the whole idea.

Or what do y'all think?
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Gamine(f): 7:30pm On Nov 09, 2008
There are people with "Deep thoughts"

they are mostly underground.

But in Nigeria, to be Commercial, they have to do what they have to do

hence, the Catchy slangs and all that
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by sosanyabee: 8:05pm On Nov 09, 2008
Shaz:

Pardon me, but I need your opinion on this. Why is it that ever since the "new millenium" nigerian artistes have never ceased to surprise us with meaningless slangs embodied in their songs?

I mean, when it was just 'Tongolo', 'no long thing', 'nothing dey happen' it was cool and refreshing, (I think). Then weird stuffs like 'efrebor' can to the surface, like wth?? Maybe we shoulda seen this coming from the 'woske - yeewo' lady?

I was suprised to go through Nairaland today and found song titles like 'Disco Peperemepe' (are we supposed to move backwards or forwards?), 'skiboropopo', kalangolo.

Others are just obscene like Lala's Idi nla, what the heck is going on? Like seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they have to be 'britiko' or 'yankee-ish' about this but there should be a little bit of reasoning when naming/making a track.

Even things like 'kamakaze on a kentro level', if you ain't going to say what it means, take it out of the song. If it's some cult slang, damn! every listener has been hypnotized. Lol.

But on a more serious note, we need musicians with deep thoughts and not just those that want to make it quick by saying every rude word under the sun? It's good to try to be on the US standard but Americanization is not the key. neither is being RAZZ and vulgar. It's good to try innovative things in songs but nah, too many slangs just kill the whole idea.

Or what do y'all think?

im not sure i agree with your argument here. first of all, you judge a song on its merits. You have to listen to the tracks first. the song is either hot, or its not. when artists pick song names, that is not what determines whether the song is hot or not. M.I.s song doesnt even have a name (i think it is called safe). so i dont put too much weight on the title of the song.

now as per deep thouhgts, well, artists are different. some are philosophical, some are commercial, some try to strike a balance. like i said, you judge a song by the contents, not by the name.
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by A40(m): 10:19pm On Nov 09, 2008
Those are not hip-hop songs they should be grouped under another genre but definitely not hip-hop
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 10:30pm On Nov 09, 2008
shaz i bn dey think say u sabi hip hop b4 o grin
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 10:32pm On Nov 09, 2008
Lol @ youz two, A-40 and Tosin, ask the average Nigerian, that's hiphop. Ask the musicians themselves, it is hiphop. I'm speaking 'hiphop' on a superficial level now.

Hope you grab?
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 10:52pm On Nov 09, 2008
thats y u cnt classify such songs as hip hop
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by sosanyabee: 10:57pm On Nov 09, 2008
tosinadeda:

thats y u cnt classify such songs as hip hop

pls wat are you people talking about here as if you would say lolipop by lilwayne is not hiphop undecided undecided

the bottom line is hiphop has evolved. people have short attention span. hiphop understands this. if this means a catchy chorus, or a catchy title, so be it.
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by sosanyabee: 10:58pm On Nov 09, 2008
A-40:

Those are not hip-hop songs they should be grouped under another genre but definitely not hip-hop

since you are the almighty authority in what hiphop is, please school us, educate us on what we should call hiphop, o mighty one
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by lalaboi(m): 11:01pm On Nov 09, 2008
shaz

u must be the reason why the song 'lori le by xproject' won the best hip hop song in the nigeria music awards

just cos some unaware nigerians call it hip hop doesnt mean u should think its hip hop.

as for me, i will rather cal it naija pop, cos most of it have got naija flavour in them!
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 11:07pm On Nov 09, 2008
sosanyabee:

please what are you people talking about here as if you would say lolipop by lilwayne is not hiphop undecided undecided

the bottom line is hiphop has evolved. people have short attention span. hiphop understands this. if this means a catchy chorus, or a catchy title, so be it.

sebi u sabi use internet?
go check for the meaning of hiphop!!!

besides shaz stop mixing things up jare!!!!! most of wut u posted are slangs used to get the naija audience!!!!!!!!!!!
just realised sef,
nothing wrong with aving slangs
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by AfrknKngs(m): 11:38pm On Nov 09, 2008
I agree, they shud be classified as "Gbedu or Party Vibe" or "Naija POP" Ah well,
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 11:46pm On Nov 09, 2008
sosanyabee:

please what are you people talking about here as if you would say lolipop by lilwayne is not hiphop undecided undecided

See what I'm saying. I'll adjust ma topic anyways.

lalaboi:

shaz

u must be the reason why the song 'lori le by xproject' won the best hip hop song in the nigeria music awards

just because some unaware nigerians call it hip hop doesnt mean u should think its hip hop.

as for me, i will rather cal it naija pop, because most of it have got naija flavour in them!

Sorry, I never even heard that song so you can go ahead and take that back. I dun actually listen to secular music but it takes me by surprise to hear this lewd-titled songs.

@Tosin,

Too many meaningless slangs still end up as meaningless.
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by sosanyabee: 11:52pm On Nov 09, 2008
AfrknKngs:

I agree, they should be classified as "Gbedu or Party Vibe" or "Naija POP" Ah well,

my question is, how will you categorize lolipop by lilwayne?

i know years back, people argued over what nelly's "must be the money" should have been called

but in 2008, i can tell you, the song will be under hiphop
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 11:54pm On Nov 09, 2008
Shaz:

@Tosin,

Too many meaningless slangs still end up as meaningless.[/color]

i disagree o
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 11:59pm On Nov 09, 2008
So Tosin, what you are saying is the slangs do not get to you at all?

It's had a negative influence on the Nigerians I know, they can't make a correct sentence without interjecting some silly slang.

At the end of the day, the slangs get too much and you'll end up getting confused. . lol.

I was actually expecting someone to ask me 'kini big deal'?. . lmao. . it's not on though. It's more on the razz side, eg. Disco peperempe? Wth?
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 12:02am On Nov 10, 2008
so ur own prob is that according to u! those slangs are razz?
wuts that now? slang na slang abeg
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by sosanyabee: 12:06am On Nov 10, 2008
Shaz:

So Tosin, what you are saying is the slangs do not get to you at all?

It's had a negative influence on the Nigerians I know, they can't make a correct sentence without interjecting some silly slang.

At the end of the day, the slangs get too much and you'll end up getting confused. . lol.

I was actually expecting someone to ask me 'kini big deal'?. . lmao. . it's not on though. It's more on the razz side, eg. Disco peperempe? Wth?

if you mentioned yebariba somboribobo i can understand. but explain to us what is wrong with disco peperempe? or how it has a negative influence on nigerians?   maybe you did not grow up in nigeria, hence you have never heard the phrase before.

bottom line is this is a rather pointless exchange. i dont hear anyone complaining about soulja boy's snap crackle and pop nonsense.
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 12:09am On Nov 10, 2008
hey wut bad influence does yebariba hav?
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 12:11am On Nov 10, 2008
Lol. . I said Nigerian songs @ Sosanyabee. By the way, Soulja boi is crap, sorry. Lollipop was an eye-catcher but naht to me. All em slangs are unnecessary.

@Tosin,

See bare kids shouting 'waaaaaH!' like halloween monsters.
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 12:15am On Nov 10, 2008
Shaz:

@Tosin,

See bare kids shouting 'waaaaaH!' like halloween monsters.[/color]

soooooo
wuts the negative effect undecided
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 12:21am On Nov 10, 2008
The -ve effect is that it is just not normal and civil. Just like Rhianna's Disturbia. They both disturbing.
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 12:24am On Nov 10, 2008
i dnt agree!!!!!
i think its more of a personal thing to u shaz grin
u just dnt like dem slangs simple!!!!!
u wan dey claim butty abi?

besides disturbia shldnt be compared to this at all
that song is devlish
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 12:28am On Nov 10, 2008
Lol. .it's not personal. I just think that too much of everything is a bad thing, innit?
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 12:30am On Nov 10, 2008
hmmmmm sumtimes
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by A40(m): 12:35am On Nov 10, 2008
sosanyabee:

since you are the almighty authority in what hiphop is, please school us, educate us on what we should call hiphop, o mighty one
The game is to be sold and not told go and do your research anyone that knows hip-hop would not call songs like Tongolo,Yahoozey hip-hop i am not claiming any authority but i know what i know

@Shaz
Their songs have been mistakenly identified as hip-hop but it is so not hip-hop they should be creative and come up with another name e.g Jamaicans started with Reggae and as time went on another sound evolved which although was sang by Jamaicans didn't necessarily make it Reggae and that's how dancehall came around or would you call Sean Paul,Elephant Man or Beanie Man Reggae Musicians?

Another example Ghanians have their own style of songs too that involve their language and slang and some of them rap too but they don't call it hip-hop do they? they call it hip-life
South Africans have Kwaito and so on and so forth
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 12:37am On Nov 10, 2008
A-40:

The game is to be sold and not told go and do your research anyone that knows hip-hop would not call songs like Tongolo,Yahoozey hip-hop i am not claiming any authority but i know what i know

@Shaz
Their songs have been mistakenly identified as hip-hop but it is so not hip-hop they should be creative and come up with another name e.g Jamaicans started with Reggae and as time went on another sound evolved which although was sang by Jamaicans didn't necessarily make it Reggae and that's how dancehall came around or would you call Sean Paul,Elephant Man or Beanie Man Reggae Musicians?

Another example Ghanians have their own style of songs too that involve their language and slang and some of them rap too but they don't call it hip-hop do they? they call it hip-life
South Africans have Kwaito and so on and so forth

AND WE CALL OURS, ?
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 12:48am On Nov 10, 2008
tosinadeda:

AND WE CALL OURS, ?

Hiphop undecided . . Ain't that what I was saying? If I didn't say nigerian hiphop, how would you have got my drift in the first place? Lol

That's besides the point tho. Like what exactly is whiskolo whiska supposed to mean?
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 12:51am On Nov 10, 2008
thats y its a slang duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh grin
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 12:56am On Nov 10, 2008
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by tosinadeda: 1:00am On Nov 10, 2008
hiss
Re: Nigerian Music Is Deteriorating? by Shaz(f): 1:02am On Nov 10, 2008
tosinadeda:

hiss

You obviously get the point I'm making. TY.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Jay-z Trying To Rekindle His Beef With Nas? / Download Billboard Hot 100 In One Place / Wande Cole's Ololufe Album:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.