Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

British Man Jailed For Four Months In Morocco ‘for Being Gay’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Man Jailed For Four Months In Morocco ‘for Being Gay’ (583 Views)

Udom Emmanuel Completes House (Mansion) In Just Months In Office -SaharaReporter / Brigadier-General Ransome-Kuti Sentenced To Six Months In Jail / Governor Udom Emmanuel Builds House Just 4 Months In Govt - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Man Jailed For Four Months In Morocco ‘for Being Gay’ by xwolverine: 4:21pm On Oct 06, 2014
A British man has been jailed for four months in Morocco for being gay, his family have said.

Ray Cole, 70, was arrested while on holiday, according to his son Adrian, who said that authorities in the north African country had been reluctant to even reveal where his father was.

He posted a picture of the Central prison in Marrakesh, where he said his father was being held. “My father has a spot on the floor ... But that’s quite reasonable, after all he is a gay and had the temerity to visit Morocco as a tourist for a holiday,” he wrote.

He said that life inside the prison was “pretty bleak … they are served boiled vegetables once a day and his cell is a dorm designed to sleep 44, however since there are 60 men in there my 70-year-old father sleeps on the concrete floor.” He said his father, who lives in Kent, was being held alongside murderers and rapists.

It is understood that when Cole, who came out as gay a few years ago, was arrested police searched his phone and found photographs which they used to prosecute him in court.

Charlie Elphicke, the Conservative MP for Dover, branded the charges “medieval” and said it showed British tourists were not safe in Morocco.

He said: “I have been doing all I can to help free Mr Cole from these appalling charges. I am deeply concerned about his safety and it is clear that if you visit Morocco you are at serious risk of facing trumped up charges for medieval crimes. The message is clear – Morocco is not safe for British tourists.

“I am gravely concerned by the state of Moroccan prisons, and the care and the safety he will have in jail. I’m raising it with ministers, asking them to intervene more directly on his behalf. It is a shocking and appalling situation for a British national to be in and it is really important to get him back to the UK.”

The Foreign Office said: “We can confirm the detention of a British man in Morocco. We are providing consular assistance.”

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/06/british-man-ray-cole-70-jailed-four-months-morocco-gay
Re: British Man Jailed For Four Months In Morocco ‘for Being Gay’ by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 06, 2014
Keep your gayism in your country, it has no place in Africa

1 Like

Re: British Man Jailed For Four Months In Morocco ‘for Being Gay’ by 3coins(m): 4:32pm On Oct 06, 2014
it should have been 40years

1 Like

Re: British Man Jailed For Four Months In Morocco ‘for Being Gay’ by herald9: 4:34pm On Oct 06, 2014
3coins:
it should have been 40years
undecided

Where is your sympathy
Re: British Man Jailed For Four Months In Morocco ‘for Being Gay’ by 3coins(m): 4:41pm On Oct 06, 2014
herald9:

undecided

Where is your sympathy

1 Like

Re: British Man Jailed For Four Months In Morocco ‘for Being Gay’ by tinkinjow: 6:12pm On Oct 06, 2014
Now Britain will not issue threats and threaten sanctions. Their loud mouth media may not even carry it. If this were to be in Nigeria...

(1) (Reply)

AU Forces Doing Well In Somalia While NA Yet To Capture Bama!!!! / 2015: Pdp Caucus Bars Ex-minister From Running For Guber Election / Meet The Young History Maker, Malala Yousafzai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.