Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:44 PM

Superstitions - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Superstitions (1040 Views)

Share Superstitions We Were Made To Believe In Our Youthful Days / Do You Believe In These Superstitions? / Funny But True To Life Superstitions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Superstitions by yicob(m): 10:32am On Nov 10, 2008
These are irrational beliefs that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.

In my tribe, we believe a male child should not be beaten with a broom or else his John Thomas goes small and could lead to impotency.

Any other superstions?
Re: Superstitions by LoveAlways(f): 11:35am On Nov 10, 2008
In my tribe, we believe a male child should not be beaten with a broom or else his John Thomas goes small and could lead to impotency.

(Laughing)  Well the most common superstitions in America center around "good luck vs bad luck".

Example 1-- Friday the 13th =(bad luck day)
Example 2-- Breaking a mirror =(7 years of bad luck)
Example 3-- Black cat crosses your path =(you will have the worst of luck)
Example 4-- Someone accidently sweeps your foot with a broom =(bad luck until you spit on the broom)
Re: Superstitions by spikedcylinder: 3:57pm On Nov 10, 2008
If you start a statement saying "If I die", you must knock on the table three times or you will die.

If you draw a line on the ground, you must wipe it before a fly touches it so your mother's boobs don't droop. grin

You must not mention the word "needle" early in the morning or else bad things would befall you that day. My mother is surprisingly peculiar about this. undecided

Thats all I can think of for now. smiley
Re: Superstitions by category(m): 2:23pm On Nov 14, 2008
You must not wash plates immediately after meal
or else your ancestors will be angry with you.
Re: Superstitions by mohawkchic(f): 6:08pm On Nov 15, 2008
~Oh Wow,i havent heard the ones posted before,quite interesting!!

~More Interesting Superstitious Beliefs can be found in this thread!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-120198.128.html
Re: Superstitions by Ifygurl: 12:59pm On Nov 16, 2008
The one i grew up with was
If you swallow a gum; the gum will tie your womb and you'll never get preganant.

I break that supersitution all the time. I swallow my gum most of the times (Just a bad habit of mine).
Re: Superstitions by Viques: 1:42pm On Jun 21, 2011
@ ps, interesting!
Dont sweep @ nite else u'll be sweeping away ur wealth.
Dont whistle @ nite else u'll be inviting witches.
Dont stay around ugly people when u are pregnant else ur child will look like them.
Dont call the word 'snake' @ nite else u'll be inviting them.
There are so many, cant remember them now, may be later.

(1) (Reply)

Nkanu People Where Are You? / Happy Birthday NRI PRIEST a.k.a Odenigbo Aroli / Kegites Club Of Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.