Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. (965 Views)

I'm An Orator: What Are My Career Chances? / Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers / My Career Dilemma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 07, 2014
I just gained admission to Ladoke Akintola University of Technology to study Computer Science and Engineering,although thats the course i put in for because i'v been great using the computer system ever since i got a computer appreciation training and i'm also very good in physics and mathematics.

But,since i gained the admission,i have been wondering wether thats the right thing for me,this is not because of any other thing other than the job opportunities attached to my area of study considering the situation in Nigeria.

One of my brothers as been advicing me to just change to Electrical and Electronics Engineering,he said with my brilliancy in the secondary school,i will definitely perform well and that its easier to secure a good job with Elect-Elect Engine than been a Computer Engineer.

But i have made up my mind to just stick to what my heart desires,all i need and i'm asking for right now is that;

¤What are the job opportunities for a computer engineer?

¤Is there any company in Nigeria that employ computer engineers?

¤Where can i go for an IT when i get to my 400L that i will be able to get full practical knowledge of the course?

¤What are the professional courses i need to go for and at what level should i start taking professional courses?

Please i'm turning 20 this month and i just don't know,i want a bright future for myself,i need advice and encouragement and i'm sure the only place i can get that is here.

I will be greatful if this gets to the front page,thanks in advance.
Re: Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by charleff512(m): 3:48pm On Oct 07, 2014
OP,i am impressed at your desire to have a bright future when many of your peers are carried away with temporary inconsequentials.
However due to proliferation of road side computer engineers e.g computer village and alaba international it becomes less lucrative to study this course at present.My candid advise is what is worth doing at all is worth doing well it therefore means that you should look inward to fields like INformation Technology a hybrid course in a bid to better your chances of being established or employed.You need trainings and certifications like CCNA,MCSE etc.
You can also start making enquiries at computer sales and services firms for ur Industrial attachment.I wish you well

1 Like

Re: Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by charleff512(m): 3:49pm On Oct 07, 2014
Front page please!

1 Like

Re: Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by princesuko(m): 12:18am On Oct 09, 2014
I advise you stick to what you are doing, computer science and engineers get work easily on a 8.6 scale as at now but due to increase in demand for compE and compS i tell you in the next 4 years things will be better
I also advice you go 4 your masters in nigeria but studying abroad will be better hope it helps
Re: Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by Nobody: 11:33am On Oct 09, 2014
princesuko:
I advise you stick to what you are doing, computer science and engineers get work easily on a 8.6 scale as at now but due to increase in demand for compE and compS i tell you in the next 4 years things will be better
I also advice you go 4 your masters in nigeria but studying abroad will be better hope it helps

Thanks so much for your advice,but do you have any knowledge of the professional courses attached to Computer science and or engineering and at what level will you advice me to start taking this professional courses
Re: Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 09, 2014
charleff512:
OP,i am impressed at your desire to have a bright future when many of your peers are carried away with temporary inconsequentials.
However due to proliferation of road side computer engineers e.g computer village and alaba international it becomes less lucrative to study this course at present.My candid advise is what is worth doing at all is worth doing well it therefore means that you should look inward to fields like INformation Technology a hybrid course in a bid to better your chances of being established or employed.You need trainings and certifications like CCNA,MCSE etc.
You can also start making enquiries at computer sales and services firms for ur Industrial attachment.I wish you well

Thankx so much for you advice,i really appreciate it,but at what level will you advice i start taking the professional courses
Re: Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by charleff512(m): 1:46pm On Oct 09, 2014
SIRANT:

Thankx so much for you advice,i really appreciate it,but at what level will you advice i start taking the professional courses
For it to be most useful towards your finals or during your NYSC.By then you would have majored in a particular area of your course.
Re: Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by Nobody: 2:20pm On Oct 09, 2014
charleff512:

For it to be most useful towards your finals or during your NYSC.By then you would have majored in a particular area of your course.

Thanks so much

1 Like

Re: Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by Nobody: 3:04am On Oct 10, 2014
@SIRANT What you need is information, and with your level of inquisitiveness i'm rest assured you'll do marvelously well. Computer Science and Computer Engineering are very great courses as a matter of fact, my twin read Computer Science while my cousin read Computer Engineering, they both finished from LAUTECH with very decent grades. The employ-ability of these courses compared to Electrical Engineering is low no doubt, but it all depends on what you use to your advantage.

Don't stop the search to know more and you'll be amazed as to how professionally proficient you will be even as an undergraduate. Do this and getting a job will be the least of your worries.

Less i forget, LAUTECH is the best university when it comes to ICT in Nigeria and west Africa as a whole. It's a Fact grin, so my sincere congratulations on joining the right train!
Re: Advice And Encouragement Needed On My Career. by Nobody: 11:29am On Oct 10, 2014
taiwolusol:
@SIRANT What you need is information, and with your level of inquisitiveness i'm rest assured you'll do marvelously well. Computer Science and Computer Engineering are very great courses as a matter of fact, my twin read Computer Science while my cousin read Computer Engineering, they both finished from LAUTECH with very decent grades. The employ-ability of these courses compared to Electrical Engineering is low no doubt, but it all depends on what you use to your advantage.

Don't stop the search to know more and you'll be amazed as to how professionally proficient you will be even as an undergraduate. Do this and getting a job will be the least of your worries.

Less i forget, LAUTECH is the best university when it comes to ICT in Nigeria and west Africa as a whole. It's a Fact grin, so my sincere congratulations on joining the right train!

Thanks so much for the advice and encouragement,i really appreciate it.

(1) (Reply)

My Journey Towards Self Discovery / Moral Lesson For Ladies / REN MONEY (any Idea)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.