Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,337 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Earlier Appearance Of The Name Nigeria 1799 - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Earlier Appearance Of The Name Nigeria 1799 (751 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Oba Enitan Ogunwusi Makes 1st Public Appearance A Day After Secret C / Where Did The Colonial Masters Get The Name Nigeria From ? / A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Earlier Appearance Of The Name Nigeria 1799 by gise: 5:28pm On Oct 08, 2014
I was just messing around on Google books and I found out that there is a book called a new universal history of the religious rites,ceremonies and customs of the whole world. Anyway it mentions "Nigeria" or "Nigritia" and this was in 1799 the man responsible was William Hurd. Now for those not in the know Nigritia was the name for any land near the Niger . This would make most west Africans and their descendants Nigerians like it or not and show also that flora Shaw and lugard only popularized the name. If any one of you think this is rubbish a beg please check googebooks .:-)
Re: Earlier Appearance Of The Name Nigeria 1799 by pleep(m): 5:34pm On Oct 08, 2014
thats pretty cool, i wish they would just call it negro-land for the south and negroistan for the north.

(1) (Reply)

Funke Akindele Looks Absolutely Flawless In New Photos / Should I Tell Her How Much I Paid As Her Dowry / South Africans Are More Into African Traditional Religions Than Other Africans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.