Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,198 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological (25993 Views)

Opinion: Women Preaching In The Church Is Not Biblical And Its Forbidden. / A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour / Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by nannymcphee(f): 12:52pm On Oct 17, 2014
mbaemeka:
14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy unclothedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Jesus is saying to the church at Laodicia that their works are Lukewarm because they are inbetween serving him and attributing all their achievements to themselves i.e like saying I believe God but I can prosper without him. Jesus says it is lukewarm because a christian should be fully in God and depend on him FOR ALL thereby making them Cold, or you can be a sinner and depend fully on the system of the world to succeed and be therefore Hot. But these group of people were mixing it kinda like *coughs* some Christians on here.

when people read the book of Revelation they do it in awe & fear but not you! You have seen prosperity & material wealth out of it

The context lukewarm is used is talking about the Christian service & not money or acquisition

a typical example is the one who just got saved, he goes about preaching & ministering salvation to people but down the line, he slacked, he hasn't backslided neither is he still doing those acts of Christian service, this is what it means to be lukewarm

My God, how & where did you see money out of this!!

17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked

This refers to folks who have money, technology etc who put all their trust in their money. In other words, they don't need God

a good example will be the developed nations who believed so much in their technological advancement & have no room for God, spiritual they are dead(hence their wretchedness, but can't see it because of the seemingly wealth or advanced state of living)

This is the correct interpretation to the above verse & not the financial hogwash you put there

It has nothing to do with attributing what God gave you to another source

The church was RICH, INCREASED IN GOODS and HAVING NEED OF NOTHING or so they thought, but in the Lord's eye because they did not acquire it by him they were wretched, miserable, POOR, blind etc. Then he counseled them to buy from him gold tried by fire. What is gold tried by fire in the scriptures? FAITH

1 Peter 1:7King James Version (KJV)
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

That's why he said they should have faith in him (buy gold tried by fire from him) so that they would truly be rich, meaning Jesus doesn't regard Bill Gates as rich nor will he regard any christian that chooses to prosper away from God's word as one So those who try to compare Christian prosperity to worldy prosperity and even claim they are the same, should guess again.

For the bolded, you are wrong, Cornelius was not saved but his Giving, Came up as a memorial before God! Do you know how many people worship & give thanks to God because of Bill gates! Do you know what he has done for the poor?

you need to wash your eyes with the eye salve the bible talked about

When the bible talks about true riches, laying up treasure it's not talking about material wealth!!

Poverty out of choice is clearly taught in the bible. Paul was "poor" by choice, yet the gospel he preached made many rich.

2 Corinthians 6:10King James Version (KJV)
10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Here again Paul wasn't talking about making them materially wealthy but about spiritual riches !!!

No one says God does not provide materially, neither have I said you can't pray for it, after all Jesus said "give us our daily bread"

what I'm saying is, it isn't the right of the Christian to be wealthy, just because he had accepted chtist but it's God that determines who gets what & how much you get

So you are to be content with what you have while praying to him to increase you. Whether the increase comes or not, BE CONTENT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by nannymcphee(f): 1:23pm On Oct 17, 2014
mbaemeka:
Nannymcphee,

I would appreciate it if you asked for clarification so as not to misconstrue anything I have to say like some people do. I am affording you such courtesy because you do not seem to be on any side but merely expressing yourself based on what you think is right.

Yes, I said someone can begin as a Taxi Driver but as he discovers more of his rights in christ he would prosper as is expected. When you did not understand me I gave you an example of a man I know in the ministry who has such a success story. I have more than 30 odd stories to that effect. If you are looking for scriptural backing for such I have a deluge but I also mentioned one to you in my edited post to your rebuttal of my Revelations 2&3 explanations. The passage of scripture is in Psalms 1:1-3 and the scripture says WHATSOEVER the Godly man does will PROSPER.

The question I should ask you is what does WHATSOEVER mean and how do you relate it to prosperity? Jacob started with a few Cattle here and there till he had more than he could count same way the man who used to drive one taxi now owns more than 2000 cars to his name. That is financial prosperity and it is scriptural.

You are better of knowing exactly what another man believes and then critiquing it than to have a false understanding and then use it to cast aspersions. The people who act that way are the same one's that claimed Jesus was a cannibal because he told them to eat his flesh. They were not in his fold. Be wise.

I agree with all you have written above, my apologies if I have cast any aspersions on you

BUT, you stated that the taxi driver will not continue being Taxi driver, hence my earlier response

Again, the analogy of the taxi driver who turned out having fleets of taxi is possible but that's not the only way God can prosper him, he can remain the owner of one taxi can & be prosperous in that.

If you sell this to your members what then happens to the who isn't able to transcend to that level? What do you think will happen to his faith?

Every pastor cannot have a large congregation but that's failure in some people's world

A handyman doesn't have to own his own company before he can be considered prosperous, infact some Christians & unbeliever worldwide will transcend from employee to employer but not all will make such transition, such is life

The key things is they will all be at their level as God has designed or allowed.

I guess this picture will buttress my point

Imagine a lady who is married to man who isn't wealthy or can't provide most of their basic needs.

A wise woman will be content with what they have(she will sew her cloth according to the material she has & not according to her size) while praying to God to uplift them

A foolish woman will constantly nag the husband, always wanting to be like the joneses, resulting in her or the husband involving in unhealthy & unwholesome practices in other to be rich

The above is what the prosperity message is doing, making a lot of Christians to be like the foolish woman.

2 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Nobody: 2:04pm On Oct 17, 2014
Prosperity in itself is not a problem, it is the definition given to it by some present day Christians and the overemphasis on the need to acquire more and more material wealth at all cost that is the bone of contention.

There is such a thing as prosperity even in little possession as there is in great wealth of possessions. God gives different grace to people Christian or pagan thats why you have every class of people both in the christian population and any other category of persons; and believe me not all those who are better off are so because they believed more neither are the poor the way they are because they believe not; Time and chance happens to them all.

I would wish for every man to enjoy some level of material wealth as I do. I counted my first millions before I clocked 30 and it feels so good to be able to achieve certain luxury no matter how little. But it cannot be so for everyone and that is the natural balance that God himself has placed on earth. Everyone in the church cannot be rich; there are poor folks who God have given the abundance of grace to be full even in the face of lack.

Whilst still a member of CE back then, I saw a lot of impoverished brethren all faking wealth but it was all to keep up appearances. Only a few had the money and year in year out it was the same story.

Truth is that the so called prosperity message does not work in the sense they try to shove it down our throat, I mean in the 90's we heard of mega wealth transfer and all the likes; its fun looking back at those ignorant days though smiley
The false message also breeds false testimonies, I'm sure you've heard of 'MONEY ANGELS' crediting peoples bank accounts and all such rubbish.
That to me is the danger in the message. Folks are made to suspend sound judgment and reason in exchange for very dumb ideas.

gotta get back to work..Ain't no angel paying ma bills wink wink

4 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by mbaemeka(m): 3:11pm On Oct 17, 2014
nannymcphee:

when people read the book of Revelation they do it in awe & fear but not you! You have seen prosperity & material wealth out of it
The context lukewarm is used is talking about the Christian service & not money or acquisition
a typical example is the one who just got saved, he goes about preaching & ministering salvation to people but down the line, he slacked, he hasn't backslided neither is he still doing those acts of Christian service, this is what it means to be lukewarm
This refers to folks who have money, technology etc who put all their trust in their money. In other words, they don't need God
a good example will be the developed nations who believed so much in their technological advancement & have no room for God, spiritual they are dead(hence their wretchedness, but can't see it because of the seemingly wealth or advanced state of living)
This is the correct interpretation to the above verse & not the financial hogwash you put there
For the bolded, you are wrong, Cornelius was not saved but his Giving, Came up as a memorial before God! Do you know how many people worship & give thanks to God because of Bill gates! Do you know what he has done for the poor?
When the bible talks about true riches, laying up treasure it's not talking about material wealth!!
Here again Paul wasn't talking about making them materially wealthy but about spiritual riches !!!
No one says God does not provide materially, neither have I said you can't pray for it, after all Jesus said "give us our daily bread"
what I'm saying is, it isn't the right of the Christian to be wealthy, just because he had accepted chtist but it's God that determines who gets what & how much you get
So you are to be content with what you have while praying to him to increase you. Whether the increase comes or not, BE CONTENT WITH WHAT YOU HAVE

It really does not matter what sort of awe or fear anyone feels when they read whatever portion of scripture as long as they are reading it with the right interpretations. Someone can as well read the aspect of "women should not pray or prophesy with their head uncovered" and then develop the same fear and awe but only to use a paper as substitute in a situation where a scarf or what have you is unavailable. All such "awe and fear" will only be sensual, lacking spiritual import or verisimilitude. It means nothing to God. Hope you catch my drift.

The context talking about Christian service is your own convoluted cogitation at work. That it incorporates christian service does not limit the interpretation to just that and if you read the verses with the Berean eye that we all claim to have then you would have seen it in the light of the areas I emboldened. For example, when describing the Lukewarm nature of the works the lord said " You say you have riches, increased goods and you need nothing". Now tell me, how the afore could not be referring to something physical like wealth or what not and what was the Lord's advice to them? He said "buy from me gold tried by fire SO THAT YOU MAYBE RICH". That's why we can tell that he didn't see them as rich even though they lacked nothing in the physical sense.

Concerning what you wrote under the highlight of the Verse 17 you are only spinning yourself. You gave the same interpretation I did yet called my hogwash. I clearly said that he was addressing the same group he called Lukewarm in preceding verses as he used BECAUSE in vv.17 to explain why they were Lukewarm. To add to that he was addressing a CHURCH in Laodecia and not some "Nations" as you claim. He was calling a church that mixes worldly principles with Godly principles as Lukewarm. He was referring to the same band of folks that say they are Christians but they don't need God to prosper seeing that worldly men prosper as well. So my dear your own interpretation is the dangerous hogwash inchoated by a child that eats food from all the neighbours houses and begins to complain about the one given to her by her parents.

Oh please give me a break about Bill Gates for I knew it was going to come to that. I didn't say God doesn't regard his givings or what he has done for the poor. That is commendable. I said God doesn't regard him as rich because he doesn't attribute his success to God. Speaking of Cornelius, hope you realise he was a proselyte Jew. So his almsgiving and prayers were in line with the OT that had just changed. God was trying to let him know that so he sent an angel to him. Maybe we should ask Bill Gates if any angel has appeared to him concerning his giving. Being rich to God includes deriving material prosperity from God and using it for God's purposes. That's the only way we store treasures in heaven. So you should take the same eye salve to wash your own eyes and stop projecting your own inconsistencies on others.

If there ever was an archetype of illogical reasoning, it would be your interpretation of 2 Corinthians 6:10 that I mentioned and it comes to me as no surprise why you have delved into such folly. How can Paul who is "spiritually poor" now decide to make others "spiritually rich"? Does it make sense to you? Why is he dishing out a double standard? If being spiritually poor is good for him then my dear, it would be good for EVERY other christian so I see no reason why he would make others something different. Being Spiritually poor is what God expects of us. Jesus already said the poor in spirit are blessed so it would be wicked of Paul to remain blessed and then make others cursed.

A billion times No. Paul was referring to something physical there. That's why he said even if I am poor many are becoming rich through what I preach. Paul was defending his ministry! Read that whole chapter and see it.

When you say it is not the right of every christian to be wealthy that is what is wrong. If every christian has a right to be called righteous then he also has the same right to be rich. Salvation gave us access to the Abrahamic blessings which includes amongst other things wealth. If any christian decides to remain poor after such knowledge then there is nothing wrong with that but they must know about it for it belongs to them.

Like I have said before God is not going to make anyone rich. He has already made us rich. What we are to do is to discover it. If a man who is a cobbler, comes into Christ today and becomes aware of this truth. He will begin to prosper. Of course contentment is great gain but how do we define it? A man who cannot pay his kids school fee is he to be contented? What about the one that could not pay his rent? If such men believed this aspect of their salvation that we are showing to them all such challenges will be a thing of the past. That's what God's word says and I believe him so that pretty much settles it.

4 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by LambanoPeace: 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2014
mbaemeka:

It really does not matter what sort of awe or fear anyone feels when they read whatever portion of scripture as long as they are reading it with the right interpretations. Someone can as well read the aspect of "women should not pray or prophesy with their head uncovered" and then develop the same fear and awe but only to use a paper as substitute in a situation where a scarf or what have you is unavailable. All such "awe and fear" will only be sensual, lacking spiritual import or verisimilitude. It means nothing to God. Hope you catch my drift.

The context talking about Christian service is your own convoluted cogitation at work. That it incorporates christian service does not limit the interpretation to just that and if you read the verses with the Berean eye that we all claim to have then you would have seen it in the light of the areas I emboldened. For example, when describing the Lukewarm nature of the works the lord said " You say you have riches, increased goods and you need nothing". Now tell me, how the afore could not be referring to something physical like wealth or what not and what was the Lord's advice to them? He said "buy from me gold tried by fire SO THAT YOU MAYBE RICH". That's why we can tell that he didn't see them as rich even though they lacked nothing in the physical sense.

Concerning what you wrote under the highlight of the Verse 17 you are only spinning yourself. You gave the same interpretation I did yet called my hogwash. I clearly said that he was addressing the same group he called Lukewarm in preceding verses as he used BECAUSE in vv.17 to explain why they were Lukewarm. To add to that he was addressing a CHURCH in Laodecia and not some "Nations" as you claim. He was calling a church that mixes worldly principles with Godly principles as Lukewarm. He was referring to the same band of folks that say they are Christians but they don't need God to prosper seeing that worldly men prosper as well. So my dear your own interpretation is the dangerous hogwash inchoated by a child that eats food from all the neighbours houses and begins to complain about the one given to her by her parents.

Oh please give me a break about Bill Gates for I knew it was going to come to that. I didn't say God doesn't regard his givings or what he has done for the poor. That is commendable. I said God doesn't regard him as rich because he doesn't attribute his success to God. Speaking of Cornelius, hope you realise he was a proselyte Jew. So his almsgiving and prayers were in line with the OT that had just changed. God was trying to let him know that so he sent an angel to him. Maybe we should ask Bill Gates if any angel has appeared to him concerning his giving. Being rich to God includes deriving material prosperity from God and using it for God's purposes. That's the only way we store treasures in heaven. So you should take the same eye salve to wash your own eyes and stop projecting your own inconsistencies on others.

If there ever was an archetype of illogical reasoning, it would be your interpretation of 2 Corinthians 6:10
that I mentioned and it comes to me as no surprise why you have delved into such folly. How can Paul who is "spiritually poor" now decide to make others "spiritually rich"? Does it make sense to you? Why is he dishing out a double standard? If being spiritually poor is good for him then my dear, it would be good for EVERY other christian so I see no reason why he would make others something different. Being Spiritually poor is what God expects of us. Jesus already said the poor in spirit are blessed so it would be wicked of Paul to remain blessed and then make others cursed.

A billion times No. Paul was referring to something physical there. That's why he said even if I am poor many are becoming rich through what I preach. Paul was defending his ministry! Read that whole chapter and see it.

When you say it is not the right of every christian to be wealthy that is what is wrong. If every christian has a right to be called righteous then he also has the same right to be rich. Salvation gave us access to the Abrahamic blessings which includes amongst other things wealth. If any christian decides to remain poor after such knowledge then there is nothing wrong with that but they must know about it for it belongs to them.

Like I have said before God is not going to make anyone rich. He has already made us rich. What we are to do is to discover it. If a man who is a cobbler, comes into Christ today and becomes aware of this truth. He will begin to prosper. Of course contentment is great gain but how do we define it? A man who cannot pay his kids school fee is he to be contented? What about the one that could not pay his rent? If such men believed this aspect of their salvation that we are showing to them all such challenges will be a thing of the past. That's what God's word says and I believe him so that pretty much settles it.

The above bold should be archived.

The blue one is a wonderful question. Wonderful piece mba, I am pondering, he who cannot pay his children's fees, should he be contented? Nice question. Wonder why these brethren keep saying Paul wasn’t referring to physical wealth... but when riches is described in bad light, they immediately attribute it to physical wealth. #DoubleStandards

Where on earth is Gombs? Gombs Gombs Gombs... 4 mentions now. angry

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by nannymcphee(f): 4:06pm On Oct 17, 2014
LambanoPeace:

The above bold should be archived.

The blue one is a wonderful question.

Where on earth is Gombs? Gombs Gombs Gombs... 4 mentions now. angry

Pls how old are you? has your brain & manners been archived? The man who can't pay his children fee's, should put them in a government school,(there is none that can't afford that), he should put them in the one he can afford

A man that has limited means should not give birth to battalion, wisdom dictates he gigs birth to the one he can take care of

It's sew your cloth according to your material available & not according to your size

if he can't pay his fees, he should pray & look up to God for the provision

The missionaries came & acted as they did in bible days where they shared among themselves & no one lacked

They setup schools & hospitals etc made it free or affordable, the present wave of churches came & made it exorbitant

These are ways such predicament or situation would have been solved but no, Christ has made all rich so they should all be able to afford it

Even in the OT, those who had farm were told not to harvest all, they should leave some for the poor to glean from! Those poor Jews were they poor because they were living in sin or because they were ignorant of the law or what?

@mbaemeka
for starters, I do believe that the words shared here by all are seeds that have been sown into your heart

it's only a matter of time before they will cause you to think & challenge what you have always believed, when that happens & if you'll be true to yourself, you will see the light

Your "sunesis" is amazing & it's clear you are viewing things in one shade of light

The essence of this discuss is to help you view things in another shade.

just keep an open mind, I fought against the WOF thread kind off, while I still don't agree with some things there but I have come to discover alot of errors I have been practicing.

I love you & I wish you well

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by WinsomeX: 4:16pm On Oct 17, 2014
nannymcphee:

This is sound doctrine. I endorse it.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by christemmbassey(m): 5:48pm On Oct 17, 2014
WinsomeX:

This is sound doctrine. I endorse it.
a church member steals a lot of money and gives part of it to his church and got promoted even when d church knew dat he stole d money and shamelessly refused to return d loot. Brethren, prosperity gospel is d reason Nigeria will remain a corrupt nation. The day pastors in Nigeria will repent, Nigeria will change for good, for ever.

3 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by WinsomeX: 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2014
mbaemeka:

Concerning what you wrote under the highlight of the Verse 17 you are only spinning yourself. You gave the same interpretation I did yet called my hogwash. I clearly said that he was addressing the same group he called Lukewarm in preceding verses as he used BECAUSE in vv.17 to explain why they were Lukewarm. To add to that he was addressing a CHURCH in Laodecia and not some "Nations" as you claim. He was calling a church that mixes worldly principles with Godly principles as Lukewarm. He was referring to the same band of folks that say they are Christians but they don't need God to prosper seeing that worldly men prosper as well. So my dear your own interpretation is the dangerous hogwash inchoated by a child that eats food from all the neighbours houses and begins to complain about the one given to her by her parent.

Nannymcphee, your "ailment" has been sufficiently diagnosed by the resident embassy doctor on this forum. It is that you have "long throat" and after eating at home, you again go to a neighbour's house to eat some more.

The trouble however with this analogy is that it is defective from the beginning. There is only one reason why you shouldn't eat in a neighbours house and that is if your original family are goats living off poisonous herbs, and the neighbours are sheeps with a different kind of food.

The Christian church should be one body of Christ. So that Christian A can eat anywhere she finds herself. If Christian A goes out and eat elsewhere and develops running stomach, we have reason to believe that Christian A has been feeding on a wrong diet. The possibilities are that the circle Christian A came from lives on poor diet and Christian's system had gotten used to it or the vast majority of Christian neighbours live on poor diet. But thankfully Christian A has access to NAFDAC and after careful study, Christian A discovers that her original home diet does not have NAFDAC number. Christian A has the right to leave that house.

The leading assumption associated with cults is that members are not encouraged to associate with outsiders, lest they return with running stomach. If the church is one, Christian A must be able to eat anywhere she wishes without trouble. When you discourage Christian A from eating elsewhere, you tell us that you are practicing sectarianism in your little group that should be best called a cult.

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by mbaemeka(m): 6:46pm On Oct 17, 2014
nannymcphee:

@mbaemeka
for starters, I do believe that the words shared here by all are seeds that have been sown into your heart
it's only a matter of time before they will cause you to think & challenge what you have always believed, when that happens & if you'll be true to yourself, you will see the light
Your "sunesis" is amazing & it's clear you are viewing things in one shade of light
The essence of this discuss is to help you view things in another shade.
just keep an open mind, I fought against the WOF thread kind off, while I still don't agree with some things there but I have come to discover alot of errors I have been practicing.
I love you & I wish you well

If the new light you are referring to is how words don't matter, Christ's salvation has nothing to do with prosperity or how we can call ourselves any names we choose then you can guess again. Unlike some others on this thread, I don't look at what is happening in the world to confirm words I have clearly seen in the bible- no way! Instead I force my experiences to conform to the word of God. That's what true spirituality should be all about. So I don't say "how come white people call themselves any names but it does not seem to affect them"? It is akin to a Buddhist who says "how did christ give them any ability to live sinless when I have lived a sinless life all my life without knowing christ?". You will always find people who claim they could do anything without God including getting healed, prosperous, being wise, living above sin etc. The question you should ask yourself is what does God's word say about the issue regardless of what I can see? Is believing not seeing again or has it been inverted by the so-called non-WOF?

There was a wonderful MOG that got involved in a car accident to the point that they could barely find parts of his body. I am certain if he was to some degree whole, the church would have had enough faith to raise him back to life but that was not to be. During IPPC of. . .(can't remember the year exactly) but the members of that man's church came forward to ask Pastor Chris why the man left that way seeing how unusual such news is to us. Pastor Chris opened the bible and showed some vital portions all saying the same things and then he asked them if they could see his name in the bible to which they declined. Then he went further to explain how that when we get to heaven we would all ask the Master what happened to that brother.

The point I am trying to make is that he didn't switch his belief because of one experience. He showed how much so he believes in everything in the bible to the point that he would rather look like a fool for it than to appear wise to carnal men who cherry pick scriptures based on what they see. I respected him so much that day. I have prayed for a cousin that had full-blown AIDS and he still died yet I have prayed for another person that was sick (not with AIDS) and he got healed instantly! I shut my mind to the AIDS scenario and I only try to remember the success. That's how close-minded I am about such things.

Mike Murdoch used to say "I refuse to be mentored by failures" and I share similar sentiments with him. In the same vein I declare, "I refuse to be in the gang of hypocrites and scoffers" "I believe what the word of God says regardless of my experiences". I know the importance of testing all things and holding fast to what is true but when someone whose life isn't working right neither does anything he puts his hand to do prosper, try to advice me, I always shut my mind because he will make me like himself if I let those seeds that made him a failure get into me.

Remember that these men (including me) didn't start believing these words because things were going smooth. When I had zero naira I still said I am rich and now that I have seen waay more than zero naira wink I will still say so because of what God says I am regardless of what the "facts" say.

I do love and wish you well as well.

Cheers

#Signing out

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 17, 2014
Bye tongue

3 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by christemmbassey(m): 6:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
WinsomeX:
Nannymcphee, your "ailment" has been sufficiently diagnosed by the resident embassy doctor on this forum. It is that you have "long throat" and after eating at home, you again go to a neighbour's house to eat some more.

The trouble however with this analogy is that it is defective from the beginning. There is only one reason why you shouldn't eat in a neighbours house and that is if your original family are goats living off poisonous herbs, and the neighbours are sheeps with a different kind of food.

The Christian church should be one body of Christ. So that Christian A can eat anywhere she finds herself. If Christian A goes out and eat elsewhere and develops running stomach, we have reason to believe that Christian A has been feeding on a wrong diet. The possibilities are that the circle Christian A came from lives on poor diet and Christian's system had gotten used to it or the vast majority of Christian neighbours live on poor diet. But thankfully Christian A has access to NAFDAC and after careful study, Christian A discovers that her original home diet does not have NAFDAC number. Christian A has the right to leave that house.

The leading assumption associated with cults is that members are not encouraged to associate with outsiders, lest they return with running stomach. If the church is one, Christian A must be able to eat anywhere she wishes without trouble. When you discourage Christian A from eating elsewhere, you tell us that you are practicing sectarianism in your little group that should be best called a cult.
true, d church of Jesus is one, any name given to a church is a mere contact address. But d pastorpreneurs won't av dat bc its not good for business. Dat's why u must marry from ur church, ur children must attend ur church' school , u must save ur money in d church' micro f bank etc. Its a matter of time.

2 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by BabaGnoni: 7:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
Lobeez:
Bye tongue

Abi o, scampering with tail between legs
They both were dropping like flies off the thread, disappearing very quickly from it one after the other
These "Evasion Tactics Order" just employed must be something privy, as I recall someone once making a clarion call to exit/sign out a thread before
Twas a case of "Igi, gongonro, ma gun mi ni oju, okere ni ati nwo" he sensed, otherwise nannymcphee avalanche woundjuries will follow grin

2 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 10:37pm On Oct 17, 2014
WinsomeX:

You have sounded here like a true protege of a prosperity church. You have not disappointed at all. If at your level you still cannot tell whom Christ was referring to in Matthew 24, you are part of the deceived.

Phillipians 4:19 was a prayer; a response to a sacrificial work of love in meeting the apostles needs. It was not "Holy Ghost Night" or "Night of Bliss" or Shiloh. It was not one man bellowing at the top of his voice at a congregation who are screaming Amen, claiming prophetic blessings.

The leading errors of Prosperity Gospellers and their children is taking one scripture out of context and building a doctrine and practice out of it. Go to Philippians 4 and find out, in context, the real reason for Paul's prayers. Incidentally, in Philippians 3, Paul left a word for the prosperity preacher:

Philippians 3:17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 3:18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 3:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

I am wondering if Paul did not know that Christians will ask God to provide for their material needs when he wrote the above.

i didn't mention or refer to Matthew 24, i talked about the Lord's prayer. The Lord's prayer is a model prayer for anybody in any age and dispensation. i hope you're not attempting to cut it out of the bible as usual?
Philippians4:19 clearly states that God shall supply all your needs according to His riches through Jesus. Material needs are part of ALL needs. If it wasn't God's will, was the verse lying?
You've typed a lot of bunkum and other irrelevant stuff, stay on point and stop acting possessed.

2 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 10:56pm On Oct 17, 2014
trustman:

Bankruptcy of the prosperity gospel. 

True biblical prosperity does not necessarily include monetary/financial wealth. 

"13 No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."
14 The Pharisees, who were lovers of money, heard all these things, and they ridiculed him.
15 And he said to them, "You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God."
- Luke 16: 13-15

Many today who are lovers of money and are like the Pharisees behave like them - they ridicule others who insist on the same position that Jesus held. 

The WoF movement and devotees overemphasize the place of money in the life of the believer. However, as Luke 16:15b states:
"For what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God."

The WoF teachings, (including the 'Prosperity gospel', whether that name is denied by their devotees on this thread or not), are built on faulty application of scripture and in many instances wrong view of what Christianity is all about. 

That is why scripture is usually twisted by them to suit what they want it to say. That is why also they can choose to interpret words the way they like, particularly to 'support' their stance at any point in time. 

One moment it can be 'God wants all to be rich financially!' the next moment that can turn to 'Riches can be in different dimensions!'. This minute they can say 'Jesus was very rich financially and even had to have a treasurer' and the next one it can be 'Jesus had to be poor to make us rich'. This way when a person queries one statement they quickly present the second as a proof that the questioner is wrong, pushing the fault always on others rather than themselves. When things are too 'hot' for them to handle they 'run for cover'. 

They claim to have, and are enamoured by, a 'revelation' knowledge on issues that even the Apostles who were given the blueprint for the church age did not have. They are the ones who have attained 'perfection' which the apostles and early church didn't achieve. 

It obviously takes a lot for a person to change a long-held view about a thing, particularly religion or spiritual things. 
But honesty demands that anyone who names the name of Christ will carefully examine whatever is presented to him in the light of the foundation already laid by the Apostles, rather than by a 'new' knowledge.

True biblical prosperity includes material wealth, it is in the package. While it is not primary, it would be a lie and ignorance to say otherwise. The primary gospel is the salvation plan and victory over sin, the world and satan. You should preach that, i don't see you guys preach the gospel ever. All i see are your constant hating, blind criticisms and ridiculous "nuggets" joyfully proclaiming the downfall of another. That is not christian, that isn't the gospel.
Being a lover of money is NOT the same thing as having money or being materially blessed. Let this saying sink into your head please. This is no new knowledge. i'm not interested in the issues of your life that you added to make your post bulky.

2 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 11:11pm On Oct 17, 2014
WinsomeX:
^^^ Welcome to Nairaland Word of Faith confused thinking.

Truth is that the WoF seeks to redefine Christianity. They make a priority what the bible does not: wealth. So that to justify such warped thinking Image123 wants to know if I pray for material blessing. As if my doing so justifies prosperity teaching.

They also make little of the matter of sin, which scripture prioritize. They are actually confused in the position to take on it. While the likes of mbaemeka are of the COZA kind of grace where no matter what your sin, you cannot loose your salvation and no Christian who works a miracle can be cast in hell; Joagbaje and Gombs disagree with him. They take the traditional Pentecostal arminian view that Christians can loose their salvation. Then we have Image123 who has no position at all than to troll any thread that is critical of Bishop Oyedepo.

I remind my readers of Jesus' warning in Matthew 24, do not let anyone deceive you.

If you pray for God to bless you materially, you have no moral right to ask others not to teach that God blesses people materially. It is that basic. It seems the devourer has dealt unfairly to your common sense. Today is 17, make plans for end of the month tithe, lol. Oh you no get church sef, see me later.
Do you pray for material blessings? Is financial increase good news to the poor? Is healing good news to the sick?
i continue to find your breed of Christianity more dangerous than those your "nuggets", because you deceive sincere people with your form of godliness but daily deny the power thereof.

2 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 11:46pm On Oct 17, 2014
Candour:

@the bolded. You and others always insinuate and tag those who disagree with the so-called 'prosperity' gospel as suffering from poverty so if you're retracting that notion now, I'll note it for possible reference in future.

No one I know preaches against prosperity or called prosperity a sin. If anyone preaches that, they are wrong. Some are so lucky and fortunate that without thinking of prosperity or applying any fanciful principle, they land in it. Its the doing of God and apart from knowledge; hard work, smart work, diligence, tenacity etc also can make a man succeed according to the bible. Also living in this fallen world can make a man face unforseen circumstances that affect his lot in life despite his well laid out plans hence Solomon said the below

Ecclesiastes 9:11 KJV
I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

If God blessed you with goodies, be grateful. He is the God that also favours atheists, satanists etc with the good things of life like health, wealth etc. Jesus even attested to this in the below

Matthew 5:45 KJV
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

This is why we as Christians who have been favoured with the good things of life should endeavour to be blessings to those we come across as we journey through life.

On the tithe issue, na you mention am. I'm not interested in talking about the almighty 10%.

Just seeing this and it's largely my position. Na where the thread for end sef.
#But the last line shock me like agbalumo, Hahahaha. i remember when i said i wasn't interested in talking tithe and this same fellow was on my case as if it was his prerequisite to salvation. Time and chance.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 12:04am On Oct 18, 2014
nannymcphee:

Nanny, when you say no one, recall that the OP says otherwise. i quote " Simply put, this egocentric gospel teaches that God wants believers to be materially wealthy." The OP describes encouraging prayer to God for material provisions as faulty theology. Well, except the OP is "no one". That Windowsx of a fellow also said " The error of the Prosperity Gospel is "God wants believers to be materially wealthy". What bible taught you that?" You yourself earlier said there is no direct promise of God providing wealth in the NT. You've being so so skeptical, yet you yourself are a product and testimony of God's material blessings. You wan solo the thing abi? No chance.
It is the right of every child of God to be holy, godly, healthy and wealthy. The price was paid and the promise severally made. Of course, it is God that determines whether an individual is saved, holy, godly, healthy or wealthy or whatever, in a sense.
For instance, this promise below is very new covenant and talks of material blessing.

Ezekiel 36:24 For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. 36:28 And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God. 36:29 I will also save you from all your uncleannesses: and I will call for the corn, and will increase it, and lay no famine upon you. 36:30 And I will multiply the fruit of the tree, and the increase of the field, that ye shall receive no more reproach of famine among the heathen.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by shdemidemi(m): 3:24am On Oct 18, 2014
Image123:

If you pray for God to bless you materially, you have no moral right to ask others not to teach that God blesses people materially. It is that basic. It seems the devourer has dealt unfairly to your common sense. Today is 17, make plans for end of the month tithe, lol. Oh you no get church sef, see me later.
Do you pray for material blessings? Is financial increase good news to the poor? Is healing good news to the sick?
i continue to find your breed of Christianity more dangerous than those your "nuggets", because you deceive sincere people with your form of godliness but daily deny the power thereof.

Mr image123, people like you distort the word of God through false assurances of earthly absolutes that are just not there. God has not promised anyone their want, what we are guaranteed by God is our need.

Who then determines our needs, God or ourself? This is a question I actually need you to answer.

There is a general understanding that a child that get scold the most by the father might be the one he loves the most. Similarly, God takes us through relative paths where we sometimes ask if we do have a loving father. But such times are our best times (e.g JOB) as far as God And our spirit man is concerned ( not necessarily the best time for our flesh aka ego, pride et al). At such times we will not only know God's word but we would also have experiential knowledge of what it means to walk with God. People with such experiences do not remain just babes of the Word, they turn out to be well equipped soldiers of the Word.

It is quite unfortunate that some of us do not sit back to discern what God is teaching us at such times, we would rather look for people who claim to have keys to open the heavens for manna. I am quite convinced and I dare say if God gives you all you want, may be he has no special use for you as far as His kingdom is concerned.

Luke 12:15New English Translation (NET Bible)

15 Then he said to them, “Watch out and guard yourself from all types of greed, because one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

Going to God in prayer for money is an act of unbelief in itself. If Scripture says - Philippians 4:19

But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

The above statement is not based on probability, it is certain beyond all doubts that God will supply my need according to the purpose for which He created me. If I believe this, why spend night and day going to request for what God had answered long before I was conceived. Put it retrospectively, we are either calling God a liar, or a blind God who does not see or know what we need or a wicked God that needs us to cry to Him before reacting.

Image123:

It is the right of every child of God to be holy, godly, healthy and wealthy. The price was paid and the promise severally made. Of course, it is God that determines whether an individual is saved, holy, godly, healthy or wealthy or whatever, in a sense.
For instance, this promise below is very new covenant and talks of material blessing..

If this statement were true, Apostle Paul would not say - 'And having food and raiment let us be therewith content'. Further more being an harbinger and a pioneer of the gospel of grace and one who practiced and applied the Word, one wouldn't expect him to teach us to learn to abase and abound if your position is anywhere close to the premise of scripture.

ESV Phil 4:12
I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.

This is a whole Apostle Paul speaking about a balanced mind when in plenty and when in hunger. Did he forget his right to acquire health and wealth?

3 Likes

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Candour(m): 6:45am On Oct 18, 2014
Image123:

Thank God the truth in my post which you quoted is your position. However, knowing you, I trust you to obfuscate the issues very soon wink you no dey carry last for that kind assignment.

#But the last line shock me like agbalumo, Hahahaha. i remember when i said i wasn't interested in talking tithe and this same fellow was on my case as if it was his prerequisite to salvation. Time and chance.

If only you this fellow had been mature enough to read through the post I responded to that necessitated that last line you claimed shocked you like 'agbalumo', there wouldn't have been any need to rush to type what you did. See the post I responded to

Gombs:

Bobo, I dey o, you scarce sha.

Jesus said we'd always have the poor with us, and this is because of lack of knowledge, not lack of money. I never said those against my beliefs are in abject poverty, my beliefs are a unique set of beliefs, well grounded in the scriptures, not many accept it.

Please don't turn this into a tithe thread

I hope you saw the bolded? Hope you know what the word in blue connotes? That necessisated me to write the below

Candour: On the tithe issue, na you mention am. I'm not interested in talking about the almighty 10% here

Now what else don't you understand? Did you need me to put the word in italics before you understand? Can you show me any instance where you told me you were not interested in the tithe discussion and you stuck to it? I've advised you before: when adults make a resolve, they stick to it. Stop blaming me for your inability to be true and firm to your resolve. The bible warned about double minded men, try not to be unstable in all your ways.

When I make a resolve, I stick to it. I wasn't interested in discussing tithe with Gombs when i quoted him. Its as simple as that. Try and get to that level, fellow.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 18, 2014
The truth of the matter is we should all provide emphasis on important Christian truths. I agree that there are preachers that go to the extreme on the message of prosperity but when "groups" rise to correct this overemphasis on prosperity it is unfortunate that in their attempts to correct they often veer of in the opposite extreme- they say because too much of this idea is offensive, let's get rid of it altogether. So on their part it is also wrong. Any christian theology that enhances poverty of saints without the teaching of biblical prosperity is actually demonic.Some folks even on this thread exhibited a shallow warped mentality by saying preachers are rich because they milk their members...well there might be some element of truth in that but to categorically make a blanket statement that all preachers are rich because of tithes and offerings collected from church coffers is a blatant lie from the pit of hell. Since the fellow is a pastor why is he not rich yet.

The truth of the matter is that some preachers are blessed more than other not because they depend on their members but because of the giving lifestyle they practised by following what the word of God says.

I noticed that majority of the folks attacking prosperity here are actually the same folks that are 'mouthing' we do not need healing. It has been done away with and the day of miracle is past in other threads.

They are the ones also attacking ministry gifts saying we don't need pastors and ministers any longer. God is going to use everyone equally.

Even when showed this truth in the bible they bring there own 'eisegesis' inferring what scripture never said. This is as a result of a christianity of convenience.They are not willing to pay the price to study like the berean with a noble attitude. They find it difficult to believe in glaring scriptural truths that God desires his people to prosper materially, maybe as a result of their incosistent walk with God or the "experiences" they had with the former churches they attended.

Paul said we can do nothing against the truth but for the truth. Truth does not change..it is that constant. Truth is no respecter of personsm nations,tribe or tongue..Jesus is truth, God is truth.

And this truth is God's prosperity plan is available for ALL. The prosperity package is available to everyone child of God but the sad part is it is not accessible to everybody.

Having your needs met is not prosperity, it is called welfare. Prosperity is not having money to feed yourself and children. It is not buying lands and building houses all over the place neither is it riding the latest jeep in town. This is the warped thinking of so many including those attacking prosperity.

Prosperity is being blessed in EVERY AREA OF LIFE so YOU CAN BE A BLESSING TO OTHERS.

Abraham is the biblical portrait of God's idea of a blessed man.

Two people the bible says we should look unto is 1.Jesus 2.Abraham.

We are to look unto Jesus who is the author and the perfecter of our faith and we are to look unto Abrham the father of Faith.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 7:02am On Oct 18, 2014
@candor
you said you were not interested in talking about tithes. i said you said so, don't let it increase your b.p.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Candour(m): 7:05am On Oct 18, 2014
Image123:
@candor
you said you were not interested in talking about tithes. i said you said so, don't let it increase your b.p.

Taa.... go sidon for corner jare. If you don't comprehend easily, why you no go talk make I help you out?
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 7:08am On Oct 18, 2014
Bidam:
The truth of the matter is we should all provide emphasis on important Christian truths. I agree that there are preachers that go to the extreme on the message of prosperity but when "groups" rise to correct this overemphasis on prosperity it is unfortunate that in their attempts to correct they often veer of in the opposite extreme- they say because too much of this idea is offensive, let's get rid of it altogether. So on their part it is also wrong. Any christian theology that enhances poverty of saints without the teaching of biblical prosperity is actually demonic.Some folks even on this thread exhibited a shallow warped mentality by saying preachers are rich because they milk their members...well there might be some element of truth in that but to categorically make a blanket statement that all preachers are rich because of tithes and offerings collected from church coffers is a blatant lie from the pit of hell. Since the fellow is a pastor why is he not rich yet.

The truth of the matter is that some preachers are blessed more than other not because they depend on their members but because of the giving lifestyle they practised by following what the word of God says.

I noticed that majority of the folks attacking prosperity here are actually the same folks that are 'mouthing' we do not need healing. It has been done away with and the day of miracle is past in other threads.

They are the ones also attacking ministry gifts saying we don't need pastors and ministers any longer. God is going to use everyone equally.

Even when showed this truth in the bible they bring there own 'eisegesis' inferring what scripture never said. This is as a result of a christianity of convenience.They are not willing to pay the price to study like the berean with a noble attitude. They find it difficult to believe in glaring scriptural truths that God desires his people to prosper materially, maybe as a result of their incosistent walk with God or the "experiences" they had with the former churches they attended.

Paul said we can do nothing against the truth but for the truth. Truth does not change..it is that constant. Truth is no respecter of personsm nations,tribe or tongue..Jesus is truth, God is truth.

And this truth is God's prosperity plan is available for ALL. The prosperity package is available to everyone child of God but the sad part is it is not accessible to everybody.

Having your needs met is not prosperity, it is called welfare. Prosperity is not having money to feed yourself and children. It is not buying lands and building houses all over the place neither is it riding the latest jeep in town. This is the warped thinking of so many including those attacking prosperity.

Prosperity is being blessed in EVERY AREA OF LIFE so YOU CAN BE A BLESSING TO OTHERS.

Abraham is the biblical portrait of God's idea of a blessed man.

To people the bible says we should look unto is 1.Jesus 2.Abraham.

We are to look unto Jesus who is the author and the perfecter of our faith and we are to look unto Abrham the father of Faith.

This is my position updated, hehehe.

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 7:09am On Oct 18, 2014
Candour:

Taa.... go sidon for corner jare. If you don't comprehend easily, why you no go talk make I help you out?

It's Saturday morning, go and wash clothes or something, hahaha.

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Candour(m): 7:12am On Oct 18, 2014
Image123:

If I call you double minded man now, you go begin shock like 'agbalumo'. I even predicted you'll soon change position and you fulfilled my prophecy in less than 30mins.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Candour(m): 7:14am On Oct 18, 2014
Image123:

It's Saturday morning, go and wash clothes or something, hahaha.

Wish I could. However, I'm at base trying to get a connection to my location. Back to work things bro.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Image123(m): 7:40am On Oct 18, 2014
demisquare, the fellow who's eternally confused on who the bible is talking to. The bible is talking to you in case you still dunno. Well, you hardly addressed my post or point, failed to answer any of my questionS but demand that i answer yours, typical.
Your friend thinks Philippians 4:19 is just some man's random prayer, thankfully you think it is a guaranteed promise. Good for you and of you. i quoted Philippians and didn't say anything about wants, i wonder why you bring that up. i find it pathetic that you referred to Job's trial as his best time, weird fellow you. Prayer isn't an act of unbelief by the way. Prayer is asking, seeking and knocking. Read Jeremiah 29. i think around verses 10-15. Jesus said God will give to those that ASK Him(referring to the Holy Spirit). The Holy Spirit was also promised i think.
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by nannymcphee(f): 8:24am On Oct 18, 2014
A little definition will be helpful

1. What does it mean to be materially wealthy?

2. The "physical riches" that Christ gave to us as Christians, who determines the level or amount of these riches, a Christian will have

Is it God or the individual based on his knowledge & understanding of this provision

3. If all Christians acquire this knowledge/understanding of the "physical riches" in Christ(by this I mean if they give equally, pray equally etc) will they all command the same amount of wealth

4.can you please state how one can strike a balance in the quest for material prosperity

Gombs, mbaemeka, Image123, bidam your input will be appreciated

most Christians who have believed this prosperity message, have this view that they must be mega rich, enjoy the best things of life

so answers to the above questions will help put things in the right perspective
Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by brocab: 8:35am On Oct 18, 2014
The truth is any pastor from any church who preach on tithes, is not preaching or teaching the bible. Jesus said in Matthew 17-24, Those who receive the temple tax came up to peter and said: Does your teacher{jesus} not pay the temple tax? Peter said: yes, And when he had come into the house Jesus asked him saying: What do you think Simon? From whom do the kings of the earth take customs or taxes, Jesus said: from their own SON'S or from strangers? Peter said: to Jesus, From strangers," JESUS SAID:" THEN THE SON'S ARE FREE. If we are god's son's then we are free from tithing.
Image123:

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Gombs(m): 11:47am On Oct 18, 2014
Image123:

grin grin

The latter part of your post is spot on!

@Lambanopeace... here I am o! Hope you are good? I see you're about getting acquainted with NL religion section? There are times you just have to watch, and times you have to be 'merciless'... with Nannymcphee, one has to watch her, and watch her new suitors Drummaboy, vooks et al court her properly. I remember the words of Pastor Chris, he said "you don’t have to shout loud and get angry because someone does not believe the truth", this is the opposite with the anti tithe cum anti wealth cum anti miracle etc folks.

Watch it, , they’re gonna create another thread after this, yet, for years no impact. Their anti tithe tract thread was 3 month old on 13th, yet no action, maybe you should visit the thread and see the energy they had!

Me, and all I've met will do this Word, whether it's sweet or not! Giving is not by force, it's a lifestyle we chose, and it's atimes not always convenient, but then, that's why we faint not. For we know the cause we give for, and it's for the vision of the BLW Nation, "Taking God's divine presence to the people and nations of the world, demonstrating the character of the Spirit".

If anyone has issues with my tithing and givings, he should deal with it. I change lives with my monies, not abstractly, but physically. This past 3 months, I've changed 4 cultists and thieves, not to mention the promiscuous ladies, with what? MONEY! MONEY!! MONEY!! Free transportation, free ministry materials, free food money, free airtime etc... and I pray and watch them change. The other day, one of them gave his first, for partnership, N300 for Healing School. I was elated, not because he gave, but because he caught the vision! I watch them make confessions in His name, I watch them bring their friends along to church, tomorrow now, they'd be mega givers, and those writing against prosperity of believers would still keep writing. ALL those who criticize rich believers are broke people (ie they rarely ever give, and before long, they're complaining of lack of money), and they are so because of their criticism, not that they don't work hard.

Watch them, they never create topic to edify the brethren, they always create topics to spurn arguments or spread lies all in the guise of 'exposing the truth'. Never will they discuss soul winning, when you do, they avoid the thread, never will they discuss the supernatural life, when you do they invade it and try to show a new type of message different from the Bible, they never talk about how to take this gospel to Nations with policies against Christianity, when you do, they'd say why should money be involved. They, in short, have a massive and disturbing problem with seeing MONEY and CHURCH in one sentence.

Most folks here against prosperity of believers in the pretence of 'it is not in the NT', HAS NEVER discipled anyone in the way of Christ, if they had, they'd understand alot better. Forget nannymcphee and her 11years in CEC and the imaginary seed she amazingly thought she has sown...those are ridiculous tales by moonlight. I became a son 5years ago, there is always room for overtaking. Mbaemeka, daaalu, Chukwu gozie gi, obele ihe k'oka fo, ozioma Jisos ga enwe mmeri, okwa nairaland a?

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

1 Like

Re: The Bankruptcy Of The Prosperity Gospel: An Exercise In Biblical And Theological by Gombs(m): 11:51am On Oct 18, 2014
Image123:

grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ugandan Pastor Flogs Church Members As Part Of Prayer In Viral Video / "TB Joshua Heals HIV Positive Man" - TB Joshua Ministries Says / Pastor Jerry Eze Pays Food Vendor To Feed 1,000 Orphaned Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 234
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.