Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

BED OF THORNS (a short story by madgoat) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / BED OF THORNS (a short story by madgoat) (1513 Views)

Thorns Part 1 / Thorns In My Boot....a Soldiers Travail / Forever And For Always - Story By Repogirl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

BED OF THORNS (a short story by madgoat) by madgoat(m): 11:47pm On Oct 08, 2014
##Sit back, relax and enjoy my first story ever. Actually, i wrote this story many years ago and abandoned it. Just dusted the manuscript and decided to share it cheesy

##Let the criticisms and encouragements roll in; i'm an amateur.

##May God punish anybody that steals/posts this story else where without my permission angry
©property of madgoat

...................................................................................................................................................................

On the outskirts of Ondo was a village surrounded by hills. Omode village was known for its fertile soil, brave wrestlers and beautiful girls – this attracted a lot of suitors from neighboring villages. The villagers were hospitable to a fault and strangers began to take them for granted.
Jide was an indigene of Omode village. His ancestors were one of the first settlers there and the lineage had never been broken. His family attached much importance to this continuity of lineage and taught their male children of the importance very early in life. He sat in his sitting room brooding; his life was a mess.
At the beginning of the year, due to the frustrations, he had paid a huge sum of money to a seer to look into the future and see what his fate would be that year because the previous year had been a disaster from the very beginning. The seer confirmed that it would be a year of success and that he would get rich within a few months but ever since his visit to the seer, he had led a dog’s life. It was worse than the previous year. He went back to the seer seeking reasons for his continued misery but the seer had only waved his hand saying he had offended the gods and would have to bring some money to appease the them. He walked away without looking back knowing within his heart that the seer was only making money out of him.
The house rent was due again and he had just paid the rent for last year after borrowing some money from his friend. His yam plantation had been destroyed by flood two days ago and his cassava plantation had been destroyed by a swarm of locust some weeks earlier. He had gone to his farm that particular morning whistling to himself while walking past a farm that had been destroyed by locust. The state of destruction was heart breaking and he shook his head in pity for the owner. The other farms around had not been touched. He walked on, still whistling but suddenly stopped in his tracks. He looked back at the farm that was destroyed and began to sweat. It was his farm and he had not even recognized it – the day before, his farm had stood out among others in the area but today it was like a skeleton. He had hoped to get a good harvest from his plantation to pay all his debts and still have some money for the next planting season but after the double tragedy, all his hopes were shattered. . .
Re: BED OF THORNS (a short story by madgoat) by Crowny1(f): 5:08pm On Oct 09, 2014
madgoat:
Compiling my book.... Watch this space for the most captivating story ever.

#will be posting it very soon wink
Waiting

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday, KingzPen / Diary Of A 'gidi' Hustler (episode 1) / Life Of Crime *season1* [fiction]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.