Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,108 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Thorns Part 1 - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Thorns Part 1 (3376 Views)

A Heart Full Of Thorns (a Short Story) / A Court Of Mist And Fury (A Court Of Thorns And Roses #2) - Book Free / Kimberly Uses Her Bo*bs To Seduce Friend's Husband Part 1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2015
Hello all, I've started a new series. Please follow the link and share: www.lolaopatayo.com
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 1:19pm On Jul 14, 2015
Thorns Part 2

Kunle and Ada sat at the dining table discussing their plans for the coming month when Teni walked up to them with her ragdoll in her arms.
“Mummy, I want a baby.”
They looked at each other, unsure of what to say. They had known that the day would come when Teni would ask this but they hoped that Ada would conceive before she got to ask the question.
“Very soon.” Kunle answered, seeing that Ada was dumbfounded.
“All my friends have brothers and sisters, I want one too!” Teni replied adamantly, dissatisfied with her father’s answer because she sensed the uncertainty in it.
“Teni you will have a brother or sister soon okay?”
“Okay… But when?”
“Teni…!” Kunle was running out patience.
“Why don’t you pray about it dear? Tell God exactly what you want okay?” Ada intervened.
The fact that she could do something about it seemed to satisfy the little girl. “Okay…” she walked away muttering something to her doll.
“I’m sorry about that.” Kunle said reaching for Ada’s hand.
She smiled sadly. “It’s okay. I knew she would ask about it soon.”
“Your period is just two days away, let’s be hopeful.”
“Okay.” Ada nodded, feigning a smile. They had been hoping for the past two years.
“What made her ask such a question? Do you think she’s lonely?” Ada asked Helen her sister-in-law.
Helen exhaled sadly. “It’s normal for her to wonder about it especially at the age she’s in, you’re a good mother Ada. Just keep explaining to her that she’ll have a baby brother or sister soon.”
“How long do I explain for? I’ve been praying and fasting for two years about this and it’s obvious that I’m the problem. After all Kunle already…”
“Ada! Will you please stop?”
“Don’t try to make me feel good about myself sis. I know I’m the problem…”
“Did Kunle say this?”

Read more here: www.lolaopatayo.com
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 2:27pm On Jul 15, 2015
Thorns Part 3

Kunle sat in the reception staring at the television but not following the programme. His body was tense and he hated every extra minute he had to spend waiting for the results of the tests he and Ada had taken. He was anxious about being recognized by anyone he knew, the hospital was well known and anyone could walk in. He didn’t want to be the subject of anyone’s pity. As far as he was concerned all was well with him and his wife and he was only doing this to satisfy her. He suspected that this would end up being a waste of time, money and energy.

Next to him Ada sat praying that all would be well, that she wouldn’t be the problem. She didn’t want Kunle to regret marrying her, the man had been through enough already in his first marriage. However, if all was well then Kunle would be right and she feared what his reaction would be. So she found herself half-hoping all was well and half-hoping it wasn’t. He had barely spoken to her since they got to the hospital, she knew he wasn’t watching the television and she could tell from the tautness of his body that he was displeased and impatient about the delay.
“Are you okay?” she asked softly.
“Yeah.” Kunle responded sharply.
Against her better judgement she decided to try again. “You don’t look okay.”
“I’m just tired of waiting here!”
He got up and walked to the nurses’ station.
“Madam, how much longer do we have to wait?”
“Please hold on sir, the doctor will be attend to you in a short while…”
“That’s what you said almost an hour ago! I have things to do, I can’t spend time here just waiting! If the results are not ready tell us so we can come back.”
The nurse rose up, seeing how irritable Kunle was. “I’m so sorry for the delay sir. Let me call the doctor again.”
Kunle stomped away not responding to her. Embarrassed, Ada glued her face to the screen trying not to show how sad she felt about Kunle’s uncooperative attitude.
“Was that really necessary?” she asked when he got back.
“I can’t waste any more time here. I have things to do.”
“How can you say this is a waste of time? This is about the future of our family!”
“I’m only here because of you Ada.” He murmured shaking his head disapprovingly and frowning.
Ada decided to be quiet, arguing with him would get her nowhere. Still it was painful that Kunle didn’t seem to care about their inability to conceive. Was there something he was hiding? Was all not as well with him as she had thought?
“Ada!” someone called.
It was one of their neighbours who lived down the street.
“Hi Doyin!” Ada got up to greet her as Kunle’s fury rose and he quelled the urge to hiss in anger at the unwelcome neighbour.
“What are you doing here?” Doyin asked lamely.
“We came to see the doctor.” Ada replied.
“Okay. Well I came here with my friend,” she pointed in her direction. “She’s been married for five years without a child.”
“Really?” Ada replied dully, this wasn’t the kind of news she wanted to hear.
“Yes. Good morning sir.” Doyin said to Kunle who had all the while ignored them.
“Good morning.” He replied coolly, further irritated by her insensitivity to his aloofness.
“I’m Doyin, I live down the street.” She held out her hand.
Kunle took it limply. “Nice to meet you.” He managed to say.
“Mrs Olorunyomi!” A nurse called.
“Oh I think my friend has been called. Good luck!”
“Yeah, thanks!” Ada said with a forced smile.
“Now the whole street will know we were here!” Kunle murmured when Ada settled back into her chair.
Ada stifled her response, in truth Doyin wasn’t discreet.
A nurse walked up to them. “Mr and Mrs Agunbiade?”
“Yes!” Kunle sat up.
“Please come with me, the doctor will see you now.”
“Finally!” Kunle murmured as they got up to follow the nurse.

Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 1:52pm On Jul 16, 2015
Thorns Part 4

“Why do I have two mummies?” Teni asked as Ada pulled her hair into a bun.
She inhaled and took a moment to consider her response. “Well, because you’re special.”
“But who is my real mummy, you or my other mummy?”
Ada exhaled, why was Teni suddenly asking all these difficult questions? “Well, your other mummy gave birth to you.”
“So why doesn’t she live here?”
“Err… well, she and Daddy are divorced.”
“What’s a divorce?”
Ada exhaled sharply, where was Kunle? “It’s when two married people are no longer married.”
“Why are they no longer married?”
Ada had had enough. “You’ll have to ask your Dad that.”
“Don’t you know why they are not married?”
“I do, but it’s best for your Dad to explain it to you.”
“Was it…”
“Teni your other mummy is waiting. We’ll talk about this later okay?”
“Okay…” Teni replied disappointedly.
In the sitting room Kunle was watching TV, doing his best to ignore Banke’s presence. He’d known Banke for almost four years before their divorce and some memories were hard to forget. She was sitting adjacent to him wearing a skirt that didn’t reach her knees and he got a good look at her long glowing legs. He remembered how often he had stroked them when they were together. Quickly he pulled his eyes away and tried to concentrate on the television.
“How are you?” Banke asked.
“I’m fine. You?” he replied without looking at her.
“I’m okay, just lonely.”
At this he looked at her. “Lonely? What happened to Jide?”
Banke smiled sadly. “We broke up.”
“Oh! Sorry about that.” Kunle was tempted to ask what had happened but he had made a decision to create boundaries between himself and his ex-wife and discussing their private lives was crossing it.
Banke was silent for a while. “You know, I’ve never met any guy like you.”

Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2015
I wrote a movie review! Please read, share and leave your comments.
Find it here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/07/20/on-dayo-amusas-unforgivable-ainidariji/

Meanwhile, Thorns continues tomorrow.
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2015
Thorns Part 5

Kunle’s mother had had enough. Her son and his new wife may not be bothered about their situation but she couldn’t be as childish as they were. She needed answers, her son had had a child before so she was certain that he wasn’t the problem. Ada must be the one with the problem and she was determined to step in as an elder would to find a solution.
Kunle opened the door in response to her knock.
“Mummy?”
“Hmmn my son.” She replied making her way in.
“You didn’t say you were coming, is everything okay?”
“Yes, it will be. Where’s your wife?”
Kunle looked questioningly at his mother and sensed trouble. “She’s inside, what the matter?”
“Is anything wrong in asking after my daughter-in-law?” his mother replied defensively.
Kunle was now sure that something was up but he didn’t want to outrightly confront his mother out of respect for her.
“I’m going to work, is there anything you want to discuss with me before I leave?” he asked trying to get the information out of her.
“No, just call your wife for me.”
He nodded and went in.
“My mum’s here and she wants to see you.”
“See me?” Ada’s guard went up. “What for?”
“I don’t know.” Kunle shrugged.
It has started. Ada said to herself. “Okay, I’ll be there in a few minutes.”
Teni was lying on their bed playing with Ada’s phone.
“Teni come and say hello to Grandma.” Kunle called out to her.
“I’m coming…” she said absentmindedly swiping the phone.
“I’ll bring her with me.” Ada said to him.
“Okay, I’ll see you later. I love you.” He kissed her on the cheek.
“Love you too.”
When Kunle got back to the sitting room his mother was sitting stiffly.
“Mummy are you sure everything is okay?” He asked again.
“Ah ah! Do I have a horn on my head? Everything is okay, go to work.”
Kunle was uneasy but he left anyway.
Ada came into the sitting room just as he was leaving.
“Ehn ehn ehn my wife! Ah ah my son is taking care of you o!” she hugged Ada.
“Good morning Mummy.” Ada greeted her with a smile.
“Grandma!”
“Omotoyosi mi Asake! How are you my dear?” she set Teni on her lap. “You are just getting bigger! How is school?”
“Fine! Grandma I like your earring.”
“Oh thank you my dear.”
“Mummy what can I offer you?”
Mrs Agunbiade waved her hand in dismissal. “Don’t worry about that. Sit down let’s talk first, I’ll eat later.”
“Okay ma.” Ada said cautiously.

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/07/21/thorns-part-5/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 2:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
Thorns Part 6

Kunle opened the door to see Banke standing in front of it.
“Banke? What are you doing here?” he asked still holding the door.
“I’m sorry to come here unannounced. Where’s Teni?”
“She’s out with her mum… Ada.”
“Oh! Is she okay?”
“Yes she is. What’s this about Banke?” Kunle asked impatiently, he had been sleeping when he heard her knocking on the door.
“Can I come in? It’s really sunny.”
Kunle had second thoughts about letting her in. He didn’t trust her and he wanted to go right back to bed but his neighbour was outside fixing his generator and it would look odd if he left her standing outside.
“Sure.” He lied.
“What’s going on?” he asked as soon as she was in.
“I’ve been having bad dreams about Teni for some days now.”
“Really?” Kunle said suspiciously.
“Yes, I don’t want to go into details about it but I just had to see her.”
“Well she’s fine and she’s not in. You can call her later.” Kunle headed for the door.
“Can’t I see her? I know it’s not my visiting day but can you please just let me see her? She’s my child and something tells me all is not well. Please Kunle, I’ll just sit here and be quiet till they get back. You can go on doing whatever it is you were doing.”
Kunle was too sleepy to argue with Banke and he really didn’t see anything wrong in her waiting for Teni as long as she was alone.
“Okay, just sit here. You can change the channel.” He said vaguely, pointing to the remote and walking off towards his room. As soon as his head hit the pillow he slept off, completely forgetting to call Ada to give her a heads-up.
Banke couldn’t concentrate on the TV, in fact she didn’t even change the channel. She was too occupied with thoughts of what could have been. It had been four years since their divorce and she was older and wiser, even though she still loved to spend she realized she could have handled her problems with Kunle better. The impatience of her youth now haunted her as she looked at the pictures hanging on the wall. Kunle and his new wife looked genuinely happy together and to her dismay even Teni looked very happy with them. Her eyes wandered around the living room- Ada was a good home-keeper and everything was in its place.
Eventually she got up and walked towards the kitchen. Something had come over Banke, she was tired of wishing things could have been different between her and Kunle and she was determined to finally do something about it. The only way to get Kunle’s attention was to distract him from Ada- she had to discover Ada’s weaknesses and leverage on them. In the kitchen she began to open all the pots and shook her head at the unattractiveness of the food. Ada didn’t know that a Yoruba man liked his food peppery and oily. The jollof rice she had cooked looked so dry to her. She fished for a spoon and tasted it.
“Too spicy!” she thought and tasted the egg sauce next. “Too sour, it needs more pepper!”
She rinsed the spoon, put it back in its place, looked around the kitchen once again and walked out. The way to a man’s heart was his stomach and she knew better than Ada the way.
Back in the sitting room she leaned back and thought of ways to get remind Kunle of her good side, the part of her that she knew he had loved. It would take some serious commitment and cunning because Kunle was so taken with his new wife but she was sure that she could earn his trust once again.

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/07/22/thorns-part-6/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 22, 2015
Girl, you are doing just great! Honestly, believe me. Come proceed.
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 4:42pm On Jul 23, 2015
Thorns Part 7

As much as he tried, Kunle found himself thinking about Banke. Her long glowing legs, the longing look in her eyes when she had seen him in his boxers and her beautiful curves were in his mind like a video on replay. He no longer loved her but he couldn’t deny the connection that he still felt with her especially since he saw her on a regular basis. What could he do? He didn’t want to be distracted by her because he genuinely loved Ada but he had given his word that she could be a part of Teni’s life and he couldn’t imagine what stopping her visits would do to Teni. He considered telling Ada about his struggle but he felt she was already in a fragile state about her inability to conceive. Telling her that he was thinking about Banke would only make matters worse. Already he knew that both women only tolerated each other.
But Ada already sensed trouble brewing between her husband and his ex-wife. She could see beneath his outward show of indifference that something had happened and the fact that he wasn’t willingly to talk about it made her even more insecure. This was her worst nightmare coming to pass- that Kunle might consider reuniting with his ex-wife. it was becoming more apparent to Ada that she needed a child of her own. As far as she was concerned, it was the only thing that Banke had over her and she didn’t want Kunle to get to the point where he began to question his decision to marry her.
Even though she knew Kunle would be angry about her going for the prayer meeting she decided that it was better for her to explore the option if it would solve the issues in her marriage once and for all.
“Where are you going?” he asked surprised.
“I’m going for a meeting.”
“What meeting?”
“I think it’s like a house-fellowship.”
“You think?”
“Yes, I’ve not attended it before.”
Kunle looked at her suspiciously. “That Doyin woman didn’t invite you did she?”
“What has that got to do with anything?” she asked facing him.
“You didn’t answer my question.”
“Kunle please I don’t want to argue with you this evening. I just want to be alone for a while.”
“Ada, I hope you’re not going for that barren women’s meeting?”
Ada didn’t respond, she grabbed her bag and made to walk out of the room.
“Are you walking out on me?” Kunle asked incredulously. “Since when did that start?”
“And since when did you start inviting Banke into our home in my absence? Since when did she start coming into our bedroom? What else has been going on Kunle? I need some alone time please.” She replied and left.
She had left before he realized that she didn’t even take Teni with her.

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/07/23/thorns-part-7/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 5:08pm On Jul 24, 2015
Thorns Part 8

“You’re playing with fire man.” Leke, Kunle’s colleague and friend said to him.
Kunle laughed. “It’s not a big deal. I’m just seeing too much of her, I can handle this.”
“That’s what most guys say right before they cheat.”
“I’m not most guys Leke, you know I love Ada.”
“So you think that all the men who’ve cheated on their wives did not love them?”
Kunle waved his hands dismissively. “That can’t happen to me. This girl cheated on me! There’s no way I’m going back to her.”
“You don’t have to be back with her to sleep with her. She’s like a food you no longer eat that you’re suddenly craving. You need to keep your distance from her…”
“And how do you suggest I do that? Cancel her visits?”
“Not necessarily. Let only Ada deal with her. Let her see Teni outside your home.”
“And what happens when she needs to talk to me about Teni’s welfare?”
“Teni’s welfare? Doesn’t she have a phone anymore?”
“It’s not that easy, I can’t completely ignore her…”
“Why? What allegiance do you owe her? You have to stop seeing her as your daughter’s mother, she’s a threat to your home.”
Kunle laughed again. “C’mon Leke, it’s Banke…”
Leke shook his head. “You don’t owe her anything. Protect your home, Ada is a gift to you. She doesn’t deserve this.”
Kunle smiled haphazardly, he knew Leke was right.
“I got you something.” Kunle said to Ada two nights later. “Close your eyes.”
Ada obeyed, wondering what the surprise was. Kunle did not surprise her often. She felt him push something into her hands.
“Open your eyes.”
She did and stared at the red velvet rectangular box in her hands. “What is it?”
“Open it!” Kunle urged.
She did, it was a silver hand chain embellished with blue stones. “Oh this is so beautiful Kunle! This must have been expensive!”
“You’re worth it.”
Ada hugged him fiercely and then kissed him. She looked in his eyes and tried to read the odd look in them. “Why’d you buy me this? It’s not my birthday or our anniversary.”
“Don’t I buy you things at other times?” Kunle asked sadly.
“Well it’s rare…”
Kunle reached for a strand of her hair. “That’s going to change. This is a thank-you-for-being-there gift.”
“Thank you…” Ada wasn’t sure what to make of this display of affection. “Are you okay?”
“Yes I am.” He held her arms. “I want Banke to meet Teni outside our house from now on and I want you to decide where it’s convenient for you to meet. I’ve been giving a lot of thought to what we discussed and I realize that I have to protect us. What do you think?”
Ada smiled, Kunle loved her after all. “I think it’s a good idea. I’ll think of somewhere suitable and let you know.”
Kunle sighed in relief. “I was hoping you’d go with it.”
“Why wouldn’t I Kunle?” she sighed. “I’m glad you’re finally seeing things from my perspective.”
Kunle laughed. “I hear you.”

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/07/24/thorns-part-8/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 6:41pm On Jul 28, 2015
Thorns Part 9

The following week was torturous for Ada. Having to wait another week to confirm her pregnancy was more than she could bear. She couldn’t concentrate at work and was forgetting things. Could I really be pregnant? She kept asking herself and daydreaming of what the baby would look like and how much different things would be in her home. She’d already started thinking of names for the baby, she wanted a son since they already had a daughter. And Teni, what would her reaction be? Would she be as loving as she hoped she would be to her baby brother? And Kunle, it would be nice to see how he would take care of her when she was heavy. She could already imagine the foot rubs, massages and treats that she hoped he would indulge her with.
God let me be pregnant! She prayed ceaselessly.
Kunle on the other hand wasn’t so distracted, in fact, he was far from distracted. His mother had called his siblings who had kept calling to express their displeasure over what their mother had said happened. Who did he think he was to speak to their mother like that? Was there anything wrong in wanting to take her grandchild? Had he developed so much wings that no one could talk to him? Was his new Ibo wife teaching him to disrespect his mother?
“You must go and see Mummy and apologize immediately!” his eldest brother had said. No one had bothered to ask for his own side of the story. Kunle listened to what everyone had to say and gave no response. He made no attempt to apologize to his mother or to defend himself, he merely listened and carried on with his activities. But the matter bothered him, he was furious at his mother’s effrontery to belittle him and his wife all because they had not had a baby. Whose business was it anyway if they didn’t have another baby? Why was his personal life so important to other people? Why couldn’t they just face their own lives?
Ada had tried to suggest that they make peace with his mother but Kunle would have none of it.
“I’m not going to apologize to her for coming into my own home to insult me. That would only give her the license to repeat it.”
“Okay, let me apologize…”
“For what? Ada please don’t annoy me! I’m not discussing this anymore.”
“But Kunle your people will say I’m the one teaching you to rebel. Please I don’t want any trouble o.”
“Are you married to me or my people?”
Ada sighed.
“Answer me!”
“You.”
“Good. So leave me to deal with my people.”
Ada was concerned about her husband’s attitude to the matter. She knew he had every reason to be angry but she also knew that in Africa and especially among Yoruba people, elderly people are usually considered to be right no matter what. Soon however, she discarded thoughts of her mother-in-law and in-laws and focused on whether or not she was pregnant.
“You have time!” Uju declared “If it was me that your mother-in-law spoke to like that I would give her a piece of my mind.”
Ada laughed. “Uju, it’s easier said than done!”
“Please! Any mother-in-law that will give me trouble should just die before I marry her son.”
“Uju!”
“Yes! Every enemy of my progress should just die! Why should one woman frustrate my life because I married her son? I even like your husband’s approach to the whole thing.”
Ada shook her head lightly amused, Uju could never really understand because she wasn’t in her shoes.
“How are things with you and Ekene?”
“Fine, I guess.”
“You guess?”
“We had a fight this past weekend.”
You guys are always fighting! Ada thought.
“He said when we get married that he expects us to pool our resources together to finance the home. I told him no, he’s the man and he’s supposed to be handle the finances of the home. My money is my money o!”
“Really?” Ada asked again lightly amused. “Did he say you should bring all your salary?”
“Bring all my salary? He dare not say that! He said he would expect me to contribute a percentage of my salary.”
“And what’s wrong with that…?”
“Ada please!” Uju held up her hand. “That’s how they start, bring twenty percent, fifty percent, eighty percent, until you are broke! And then he’ll start using his own money to service one girl somewhere.”
“Are you expecting him to cheat on you?”

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/07/28/thorns-part-9/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 7:48pm On Jul 29, 2015
Thorns Part 10

Banke had been restless ever since she saw that list in Jide’s house. After her earlier scheme had backfired and Kunle had stopped her from coming to his house to see Teni she had been distraught over how to reunite her family. Now that she had found another loophole she was cautious to make her move as smartly and subtly as possible. Kunle did not trust her and she was determined to regain his trust no matter how long it took.

She took a break from work and decided to call him.

“Hello?” Kunle replied gruffly and though she was hurt that her phone call was unwelcome to him she knew that he was bound to change his attitude towards her as soon as she revealed what she knew.

“Hi Kunle, I hope I didn’t catch you at a bad time?”

“What do you want Banke?”

“Am I that much of a nuisance to you?” she said as pathetically as possible. Kunle sighed and she knew she had his sympathy.

“I’m in the middle of something. What’s the matter?” He asked politely.

“I have some information that you might need. In fact, you will need it.”

“What’s this about?” Kunle asked slightly impatiently, he didn’t like being strung along.

“Please trust me when I tell you this…”

“Banke! Will you please get to the point? I’m busy.”

“It’s about the land you want to buy.”

She heard Kunle’s breath catch and she smiled, everything was going just as planned.

“How did you find out about that?” He asked confused.

“I have my sources, I can’t really say who but I thought you should know what I found out.”

“And what did you find out?”

Banke pondered how to answer this, she decided to be confident. “Let us meet and I’ll tell you everything.”

Kunle laughed dryly. “You know I can’t do that.”

“I know this land is important to you… I know how desperate you are about it.”

She could guess Kunle’s line of thought. “I promise you, this is information you want to hear.”

“Why can’t you just tell me now?”

“Because I want to see you.” she said bluntly. “I want to have a civil conversation with you face to face. That’s all I ask for this information I have. I just want to see you.”

“What is your game here? Why do you have to see me? What do you really want?”

“I want to be friends with you.” Banke lied smoothly. “I know I’ve made mistakes in the past but I miss being your friend and I just want that. I want to know that I have a friend in you.”

Kunle couldn’t continue the conversation because of the workload on his desk, so despite the alarm bells that were going off in his head he said: “I’ll get back to you regarding where we’ll meet.”

“Okay, thank you. And please, hold on on the land until you hear what I have to say.”

“Yeah, bye.” Kunle said hurriedly and hung up. Ada didn’t know about the land and he didn’t want her to yet. He would have to meet with Banke without her knowledge. He put his head in his hand and sighed deeply.

“Mummy you look happy.” Teni observed.

“I do?”

“Yes, you smile everytime.”

Ada laughed. “Yes, I’m happy.’

“That’s good. I like it when you’re happy.”

“I like it too.”

“Mummy when can I wear my chain?”

“What chain?”

“The one my other Mummy gave me.”

Ada pursed her lips. “’Ask your Daddy when he gets back okay?”

“Okay.” Teni replied and remained silent for a few minutes. “Do you like my other Mummy?”

Ada smiled awkwardly wondering where this line of questioning was coming from. “Yes.” She said with a shrug.

“Okay, so why can’t she live here?”

“I told you she and your Daddy are divorced.”

“Yes, but if you like her can’t we all live together?”

Ada frowned. “Did she tell you to tell me this?”

“No, I’ve just been thinking about it.”

“You want to live with your other Mummy?”

“Yes.”

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/07/29/thorns-part-10/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 4:22pm On Jul 30, 2015
Thorns Part 11

Ada woke up feeling feverish. Every joint in her body ached and her whole body felt like it was on fire. She turned towards Kunle and tapped him weakly.
“Hmmn…” he woke up disoriented.
“Water…”
“What is it?” Kunle got up hearing the distress in her voice and touching her arm. “Wow, your body is hot!”
“Water… I’m thirsty.”
“Okay.” He got out of bed to get the water.
Ada couldn’t understand what was going on, she had gone to bed the previous night feeling alright though a little tired. She thought on the events of the previous day and wondered what could have brought on the fever.
Kunle returned shortly, set the glass of water on the bedside stand and helped her to sit up.
“But you were fine last night!” he said confused and handed the water to her.
Ada sipped the water slowly, grateful for the cooling effect it had on her inside.
“You were fine last night.” Kunle said again.
Ada was about to respond when she felt a sudden urge to throw up. Quickly she dashed out of bed and ran to the toilet where she threw up the previous night’s dinner. She retched helplessly, her insides contracting with each spasm. Eventually she fell against Kunle’s chest thoroughly drained. Kunle was baffled at his wife’s sudden illness.
“Sorry.” He said carrying her back to the bedroom. He looked at the clock for the time- 5.30am. Ada had curled up on the bed breathing weakly.
“We need to go to the hospital.”
Ada shook her head. “Just get me an anti-malaria drug.”
“I don’t think you should be self-medicating. Let’s just go to the hospital, they’ll do tests and find out what is really going on.”
“It’s malaria.”
“What if it isn’t?”
Ada was terrified of injections. “Just buy anti-malaria drugs.”
“Okay, just rest.” He lay beside her and held her hand and she soon fell asleep.
One hour later she woke up and dashed to the toilet again. After she was done and back in bed, Kunle went to her wardrobe and brought out a change of clothes.
“We’re going to the hospital.”
It turned out that Ada was suffering from the popular morning sickness that is characteristic of early pregnancy and malaria. The doctor decided to admit her immediately since she couldn’t keep anything down. Kunle was worried to say the least, he had never seen his wife so sick. She had become so weak and disoriented and he could only hope she got better soon.
“Is Mummy going to be okay?”
“Yes dear, she just needs to rest.”
Ada was asleep but Kunle didn’t want to leave her, yet he knew that Teni couldn’t stay with him for too long because she would soon get bored and restless. Just as he was thinking of calling his friend Leke to see if it was okay take Teni over to their house, Banke called.
“Hello.”
“Hi. I’ve been waiting here at the eatery for almost an hour, is your wife standing me up?” Banke snapped.
Kunle gasped. He had completely forgotten it was Banke’s visiting day. “No she’s not. She’s actually not feeling well.”
“How convenient! Look Kunle I don’t appreciate this game you and Ada are playing, if you don’t want me to see my child anymore just say so!”
“I can see you’re still as hot-headed as ever. I don’t have time for games, if I don’t want you to see her anymore I’ll say so myself. When Ada’s been discharged and is feeling much better, we’ll fix another time.” With that he hung up. Banke always just seemed to bring out the worst in him, why did she have to make everything about her?
“Daddy who was that?”
“S… someone.” He immediately called Leke.

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/07/30/thorns-part-11/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 5:04pm On Jul 31, 2015
Thorns Part 12

Ada started to feel better towards the end of her two-week leave and although she had much of her strength to regain, she was at least able to do some things around the house and even take Teni to school. As her strength returned she pondered on what to do about Banke. It was obvious to her that Banke had no good intentions for her so she began to make efforts to get her husband’s full attention. She made his favourite meals, spent more time talking to him, made love to him in spite of the nausea and soreness she felt, paid more attention to Teni, prayed and fasted, anything she could think of, to ensure that she gave Kunle no cause to glance in Banke’s direction.
Banke on the other hand could feel herself losing control of Kunle. Although he had agreed to be friends with her, there wasn’t much difference in their relationship. He had refused to give her his BBM pin and never called her. Their conversations were short but civil and they only talked about Teni. They were communicating more often but Kunle was obviously more taken with his wife than he was before. He had also refused to meet with her anywhere. Banke was desperate for a change and although she knew she could use the information she knew about the land Kunle had wanted to buy against Ada, she was aware of what the repercussions might be for her. She was after all trying to regain Kunle’s trust.
She’d been hoping to get Kunle’s attention by getting Teni to come and stay with her but recently all Teni talked about was Ada and the things they were doing together. She no longer expressed the desire to live with her and if Banke didn’t know better she would have said that Ada was aware of her plans to sabotage her marriage to her ex-husband. Still, Teni seemed to be her only way to reach Kunle. She decided to try talking to Kunle about seeing Teni.
“Hello.”
“Hi, what’s up?”
“Kunle I want to see Teni please, I miss her. I know you’re dealing with a lot now but if you won’t let me come over can you please bring her to a place where we can meet? Even if it’s for twenty minutes, I don’t mind. I just want to see my daughter.”
Kunle sighed. “Okay, I’ll get back to you.”
“Can’t you just give me an answer now?”
“No, there are things I need to consider…”
“Like telling Ada first? Kunle I’m Teni’s mum.”
“And so is Ada, more so she’s my wife.”
“I gave birth to her.”
“No one is disputing that with you.”
“So what does Ada have to do with me seeing my daughter?”
“Banke, I will get back to you. Now I have to go.” He hung up before she could say another word.
“Don’t let that woman get your husband’s attention. In fact make sure that they never get to see each other.” Uju said to Ada in her house later that evening after Ada had filled her in on her suspicions about Banke.
“So you think my instincts are right?”
“Yes o I think so. And guys cannot be trusted.”
“Well I trust Kunle.”
Uju looked at Ada strangely. “In this situation? He was married to this woman for more than a year, they had a child together, had sex, they know each other! Please don’t be gullible Ada, you can’t trust your husband with that woman.”
“But we have a culture of trusting each other, I don’t want to be suspicious of him when there’s nothing to be anxious about.”
“Ada, please face reality, you yourself said that you sense that something is off.”
“So what do you want me to do?”
“Confront him! Tell him that you know what’s going on between him and his ex…”
Ada was shaking her head. “Confront him with what proof Uju? And what good will confrontation do?”
“It will keep him on his toes because he knows that you know.”
Ada sighed. “This is my worst nightmare!” she said full of despair.
Uju went over to her seat and held her in her arms. “It’ll be alright, don’t worry. At least now you’re pregnant.”
“Yeah…” Ada smiled sadly.
Kunle told Ada about his conversation with Banke later that night. “She’ll just have to be patient until you’re strong enough to take Teni.”
“I’ll take her this weekend.”
Kunle looked back at her. “Are you sure? You don’t look strong enough to me.”
“I will be by Saturday.”
“No Ada, I don’t think you should be stressing yourself…”
“Kunle I’ll be fine. If I don’t take Teni she’ll just keep calling you.”
“That’s my problem…”
“No, that’s my problem.” Ada said averting her eyes.
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“Nothing.” Ada said evasively, she was afraid of confronting Kunle about her suspicions. She didn’t want to upset him in any way.

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/07/31/thorns-part-12/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 4:04pm On Aug 07, 2015
Thorns Part 13

“Can we talk please?” Kunle said to Ada as she got into bed.
“I’m not ready to talk to you Kunle.”
“Ada don’t let Banke come in between us. Aren’t you even going to give me the benefit of the doubt?”
“You put her in between us Kunle, I don’t know how you expect me to give you…”
“Let me explain myself first.”
Ada’s back was turned to Kunle. “Say what you have to say.”
Kunle was beginning to get angry. As far as he was concerned, he’d done nothing wrong except withhold information from his wife so he didn’t understand why she was overreacting. It seemed to him that she had already assumed the worst about him and his ex and nothing he would say could change that.
“I should say what I have to say? I’ll wait for you to get over yourself first.” He turned away from her not willingly to make a fool of himself for her.
Be the mature one, explain yourself and smoothen things out.
He hissed in response.
“Wow.” Uju said after Ada had narrated what had happened over the weekend.
Ada rested her face in her palm. “Uju I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve this from Kunle.”
“But what did Kunle say?”
“I told you now! He said he would explain himself when I get over myself.”
“But this is not the Kunle you tell me about.”
“I thought I knew him too Uju but like his ex said, I obviously don’t know him.”
Uju sat on Ada’s desk. “Ada I warned you about this ex of his. I just knew she would cause trouble.”
Ada smiled sadly. “My brother warned me about Kunle too but I didn’t listen. I thought our love was strong enough to weather our challenges.”
“So have they been having an affair or what?”
“I don’t know Uju but what else do I think at this point? How else could she have known that Kunle wants to buy land? A man would only tell someone he trusts such a thing.”
“Ada just prepare yourself, at least now you know that he’s not the person you thought you knew.”
“Prepare myself for what?”
“Please don’t play dumb Ada, you know exactly what I mean. If he decides that he wants to give his ex another chance prepare yourself. Get your “just-in-case money” ready.”
“I’m pregnant Uju!”
“Then prepare for your baby too.”
“No Uju.” Ada shook her head violently. “I have to fight for my home, I’m not leaving my home for that woman. Besides I don’t know the full story.”
“Ada please don’t be one of those women who fight hopelessly for a man’s love. If he doesn’t realize what a gift you are to him then he doesn’t deserve you.”
“He’s my husband Uju, not my boyfriend. I can’t just leave him!”
“Why? Are you going to be the first woman to leave her cheating husband?”
Ada and Teniola found Kunle’s sister waiting in front of their flat with her arms akimbo and Ada sighed heavily. She didn’t need this at the end of a tiring day. She turned off the engine and gathered their things from the car.
“Go and greet your Aunty.” She said to Teni.
“I don’t want to. I don’t like her!” the girl declared.
Me too. Ada thought but said: “You don’t have to like somebody to be polite to them. Just go and say good afternoon ma.”
Teniola grumbled out of the cat and did as her mother said.
“Ehn ehn.” She heard her sister-in-law respond to Teniola’s greeting.
Ada took a deep breath in and got out of the car. “Good evening Sister.”
“Ehn ehn welcome o.” She replied sarcastically. Sis Debola as she was popularly called by her siblings was Kunle’s oldest sister, and as the first daughter of the family she was closest to their mother. She also had their mother’s bossy character and it was obvious to Ada that she had come this evening with no good intention towards her.
“I didn’t know you were coming ma, we would have come home earlier. Please come in ma.”
“I didn’t come here to enter the house that you chased my mother from.”
Ada sighed again. “Teni, go inside okay.”

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/08/07/thorns-part-13/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 5:57pm On Sep 15, 2015
Thorns Part 14

Kunle didn’t like Uju very much and had often wondered why his wife confided in her. She was too opinionated for his liking and he was concerned that she might be a bad influence on Ada. Still, he had maintained a civil relationship with her for Ada’s sake but at a time like this he couldn’t be civil, he was at her mercy. If anyone knew where Ada was, it would be Uju. It was almost evening and he still hadn’t been able to reach Ada. He dialed her number with uneasiness, thinking about the numerous questions Uju would ask and what he would say. “You need her, be nice.” he kept telling himself as he waited for the call to connect.
“Hello?” he heard Uju answer with curiosity.
“Yeah… hi Uju. This is Kunle, Ada’s husband.”
“Okay… good afternoon. Is everything alright?” Uju’s tone became awkward.
“Well… not really. Ada is…” he sighed. “I don’t know where Ada is.”
“What do you mean you don’t now where Ada is?” Uju immediately asked disbelievingly.
“I woke up this morning to find her gone and I can’t reach her. I have no idea where she is and I’m worried.”
“You haven’t seen her since morning and you’re just calling me now?” He could hear the irritation in Uju’s voice and he felt scolded and angry. What gave her the right to scold him? He was tempted to hang up on her but he decided to bury his pride, Uju would know where Ada was.
“Can you just tell me where she is?” He asked tonelessly.
“Why do you think I know where she is?”
He had expected that she would make him beg to know where Ada was. “Look Uju I expect you to take sides with her but please give me a chance to sort things out with her.”
“I don’t know where she is.”
“Look Uju, please be reasonable!” Kunle said raising his voice; he had had enough of her insolence.
“I don’t know where she is!” Uju shouted. There was an awkward silence for a few seconds.“This is unbelievable! She loves you so much and you treat her the way you do. I just don’t get you men!”
“You don’t know where she is?” Kunle said more to himself, he had been certain that Ada was with her. “So where is she?”
“I have no idea. Have you tried calling her?”
“I’ve been calling her all day but her number is unreachable.”
“What happened between you guys?”
“That’s none of your business.” Kunle blurted out before he could stop himself.
“Really? Yet you’re calling me to say you can’t find her. Well, good luck finding her.” she hung up.
Kunle couldn’t be bothered about her feelings now. He was more concerned with where Ada could possibly be. “God don’t let her be at her father’s house.” Explaining his family’s behavior to his in-laws wasn’t something he was looking forward to. Could she be at his friend Leye’s house? He doubted it, if she was there his friend would have called him to find out what was going on. But what if Ada had made him promise not to tell? He decided that the best thing to do was to go to Leye’s house himself.

Read the rest here: www.lolaopatayo.com
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 4:38pm On Sep 16, 2015
Thorns Part 15

“Good morning.” Kunle said as confidently as he could.
“What are you doing here?” Obiora asked still frowning.
“Obi please…” Helen intervened. Kunle had come at a very bad time, they had just been discussing Ada’s unexpected absence when he knocked on their door.
“Wait, did you know he was coming here?” Obiora asked Helen who immediately raised her hands in defense.
“Obi just listen to me…”
“I can’t believe you Helen.” Obiora stomped off into the house.
“Come inside and sit here.” Helen ordered Kunle who entered the house tentatively and sat down with his head in his hands. Had it been a good idea to come here after all?
“I can’t believe you would ask him to come here Helen, I’m very disappointed in you. Whose side are you on anyway?”
“Yours, Ada’s…” she sighed and sat on the bed beside him. “Sweetheart, I know you’re angry with Kunle and you never wanted Ada to marry him but remember you said she made a choice. You always say life is a cocktail of choices and we live with the consequences. They are married now and there’s nothing we can do to change that. It’s not like Kunle is maltreating her or anything life-endangering is happening to her with him, Kunle is just insensitive and hasn’t gotten over his issue with Banke. I believe they can still work through their problems. Let’s help them…”
“Helen, she should never have marred that guy. I told you this would happen but you were carried away with matchmaking them.”
“Are you saying this is my fault Obi?”
“Do what you think is best.” Obiora said and walked out of the room.
Helen sat on the bed and thought about what Obiora had just implied. Was it really her fault that Ada was in the situation he was in? Had she really been too carried away with matchmaking?

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/09/16/thorns-part-15/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 4:56pm On Sep 17, 2015
Thorns Part 16

“Can I have some more chocolate?” Teni asked.
“I have a better idea, why don’t I give you some more juice and a slice of pizza?” Banke smiled.
Teni nodded her head happily. This mummy was definitely more interesting than her other mummy, she let her eat anything she wanted and bought her things. She glanced down at the new pair of sandals on her feet and wriggled her toes. Her other mummy had been away for a while now and her Dad didn’t seem to want to talk about her; it made him sad.
Banke returned with a tray, smiling. “Are you enjoying yourself?”
“Yes!”
“Great!” she set the tray down in front of her. “Don’t spill your drink okay?”
“Okay.”
Banke watched her eat for a while then proceeded to probe her. “How is your other mummy?”
“She has travelled.”
“Oh! Where did she travel to?”
“I don’t know. My Daddy just said she travelled.”
Banke frowned. “Did she tell you she would be travelling before she left?”
“No…” Teni munched on her pizza. “She just travelled.”
“Really…?” Banke thought about Teni’s information. Why would Ada suddenly leave without telling Teni she was travelling?
“Have you spoken to her since she traveled?”
“No.” Teni said sadly. “I really miss her, maybe she’s angry with me.”
“Of course not.” Banke replied distractedly. Ada had left suddenly and hadn’t communicated with Teni, something bad must have happened. “So who takes care of you?”
“My Daddy. Can I come and stay with you?” Teni asked suddenly. “When my Mummy comes back I’ll go back to my house.”
“Ah…okay. But you have to ask your Daddy first.”
“Okay.”

Read the rest here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/09/17/thorns-part-16/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 4:43pm On Sep 18, 2015
Thorns Part 17

Kunle waited for Ada in his car. He hoped to catch her on her way out of the office after work. He really hoped that he would be able to get her attention and convince her to give him another chance. He was way in over his head with Teni and he missed her sorely. He also hoped that Uju would not be with her, she could influence her not to give him an audience. He thought about Ada’s face, her skin, her slightly plump stature, the curve of her hips, the way she never nagged him. How could he not have appreciated her?
After almost an hour of waiting, she emerged from the entrance of the office building holding her handbag in one hand and her phone in the other. She was reading something out to Uju who was looking at her amusingly. Moments later they burst out laughing, gesticulating and chatting excitedly.
Kunle turned off the engine, took a deep breath in and out and got out of the car. His heart was beating fast; what if Ada didn’t give him an audience, what if Uju embarrassed him?
“Ada!” he called out to her and he saw the happiness drain out of her face as soon as she saw him. Did he really make her feel that sad? “Hi sweetheart.” He tried again.
“Oh please!” he heard Uju mutter but he ignored her.
“Can we talk?”
Ada was already shaking he head.
“Please, I won’t take your time. Let’s just talk, please.” He moved closer to her and looked intently at her. Ada turned to Uju, about to tell her to give her a few minutes.
“Don’t worry, I’ll wait for you in the car. Just remember where we’re going.” Uju said unhappily and walked away.

Read more here: http://lolaopatayo.com/index.php/2015/09/18/thorns-part-17/
Re: Thorns Part 1 by Missmossy(f): 8:38am On Sep 19, 2015
This is so beautiful cheesy loving this story. Kudos Lola.

3 Likes

Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 1:30pm On Oct 12, 2015
Thank you! Please visit my website for the rest of the story.
Re: Thorns Part 1 by Missmossy(f): 5:39pm On Oct 12, 2015
It ain't there, only saw the previous episode i read.
Re: Thorns Part 1 by OmololaOpatayo: 5:56pm On Oct 12, 2015
You might have to search for the post you're looking for.

(1) (Reply)

Don't Push Me / Robert Greene's Art Of Seduction / Things Fall Apart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.