Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,523 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:52 AM

Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology (1170 Views)

5 Lies You Need To STOP Telling Yourself As A Site Owner / Tutorial: Building A Facebook Chat With Jquery/php / Building A Search Engine Like Google (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by sodson11(m): 10:56am On Oct 12, 2014
My final year project is to build a website for my department. I need advice on the language to use or open source framework and the contents of the website. I also need tips on how to make the site relevant in the long run
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by Dlastofmykind(m): 12:00pm On Oct 12, 2014
Do you anything about web designing / development?

What are the features that u want the site to have?
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by fattbabakay(m): 3:26pm On Oct 12, 2014
Following...
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by edoconnect: 6:23am On Oct 13, 2014
sodson11:
My final year project is to build a website for my department. I need advice on the language to use or open source framework and the contents of the website. I also need tips on how to make the site relevant in the long run
wil suggest Joomla. If you need help, pm me on info@predesignblogs.com
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by sodson11(m): 12:00pm On Oct 13, 2014
Dlastofmykind:
Do you anything about web designing / development?

What are the features that u want the site to have?

I know bits about web designing,I can use joomla,wordpress and other open source but the problem is getting the right content of the site. What can you suggest a department site of a school should contain?
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by maekhel(m): 1:11pm On Oct 13, 2014
sodson11:
I know bits about web designing,I can use joomla,wordpress and other open source but the problem is getting the right content of the site. What can you suggest a department site of a school should contain?
u r a mech student right? d site will contain normal departmental stuff.
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by sodson11(m): 11:50pm On Oct 13, 2014
maekhel:

u r a mech student right? d site will contain normal departmental stuff.
yes,i am but since its online,i dont know how best to do the content. Should there be student login? Forum? Chat? Etc
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by cbrass(m): 3:23am On Oct 14, 2014
How could your final year project be a website design even as a Mech student ..

Hmmm well if that's what your advisor trully wants you to do then throw a way the ideat of using any of those cms and design a website that speaks ,looks and feels like an engine it self.

By the way because its a website doesn't mean it has to have a chatroom, who are you even chatting with sef There are so many functionalities I should be seeing on the site even though am not a mech student.

1.The look and feel of the site must reflect Mechanics

2. Should have a robust database of scan codes and their meanings.

3.It should have a daily buzz on mechanics.

4.FAQ about engines probably generatots should be there

5. A robust database of mechanical workshops in lagos or the country should be there

6. The site should be able to serve you the visito the nearest mech whorshop to you even without asking for your location

7.Should have a blog to discuss new technologies in the market

8. Virtual market where prices of spare-parts can be compared

9.You may include a forum if you want to get it social abit but strictly on mechanics topics/threads.

Well if you are not a Pro I doubt if you will be able to accomplish this grin
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by Dlastofmykind(m): 10:57am On Oct 14, 2014
sodson11:

It's not all about using open source.... It's something you can also build from the scratch if you know how to develop a website very well.

Concerning the contents, cbrass has said it all.
You can also include slides of pictures that deals with anything mechanics so that visitors will be aware that they are not just visiting a forum or chattting website but a mechanics website.

Other contents that can also be dia are:

About Us Page. This is where the brief information/history about the department and their lecturers will be displayed.

Forum. This is the section where students can interact with each other. Peradventure, u'r taught something in class but u r unable to comprehend it.... You can create a topic concerning that in the forum so that anybody that knows that thing can explain it to you.

Latest information about the department and what's going on in the mechanics world can also be included etc.

You can also think of what you can add or ask from your fellow coursemates.

Make sure that the website is attractive and orderly arranged and its display on all devices is good so that users will not be scared off.

Peradventure, you need someone to help you in the development of the website from the scratch..... I can be of help.

Wishing you best of God.

2 Likes

Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by younglino: 11:03am On Oct 14, 2014
You should ask your supervisor for his expectations on what he wants you to accomplish with the website, not just putting contents of your own imagination.

http://www.qservers.net/process/?aff=027
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by sodson11(m): 11:47am On Oct 14, 2014
Dlastofmykind,how can i contact you? Whatsapp? Email?
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by onyengbu: 12:53pm On Oct 14, 2014
A website for Mech. Engineering final year project doesnt sound right to me.
Who even approved that?

If you create website for your project what will computer science students do, build a grinding machine I guess?
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by cbrass(m): 1:23pm On Oct 14, 2014
onyengbu:
A website for Mech. Engineering final year project doesnt sound right to me.
Who even approved that?

If you create website for your project what will computer science students do, build a grinding machine I guess?

The thing sef shock me o grin
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by cbrass(m): 1:25pm On Oct 14, 2014
younglino:
You should ask your supervisor for his expectations on what he wants you to accomplish with the website, not just putting contents of your own imagination.

http://www.qservers.net/process/?aff=027

Seconded
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by Dlastofmykind(m): 2:25pm On Oct 14, 2014
sodson11:
Dlastofmykind,how can i contact you? Whatsapp? Email?

Whatsapp - 08132016744
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by sodson11(m): 4:19pm On Oct 14, 2014
I was shocked too but maybe because I like ICT thats why he asked me to do it
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by Dlastofmykind(m): 4:41pm On Oct 14, 2014
sodson11:
I was shocked too but maybe because I like ICT thats why he asked me to do it

I'm also surprised... mayb computer science students of ur sku will b given inverter to build as a project...
#Jst Kidding.
Re: Building A Site For Mechanical Engineering,yaba College Of Technology by sodson11(m): 9:16am On Oct 15, 2014
Dlastofmykind:

I'm also surprised... mayb computer science students of ur sku will b given inverter to build as a project...
#Jst Kidding.
lol

(1) (Reply)

Which Best Nigeria Hosting Company You Can Refer Me To / Ecommerce Web Design In Just 4 Days Or 2 Weekends For 2017 / Need Clone Script For MMM Or Any Code For Ponzi Scheme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.