Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,077 members, 7,957,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:11 AM

On The Veracity Of Sahih Ahadith - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / On The Veracity Of Sahih Ahadith (1195 Views)

Sahih Bukhari - A Complete Hadith Book / How True Are Narrations Of Sahih Bukhari And Muslim? / From The Fountain Of Our Weekly Study Of The Explanation Of Sahih Muslim Of Imaa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Veracity Of Sahih Ahadith by AgentOfAllah: 5:09pm On Oct 13, 2014
Can they be wrong?

This question, as simple as it sounds, did have a profound impact on my religious outlook.

Many Muslims of the Sunni sect will vouch for the veracity of the sahih hadiths, citing the meticulous effort that was invested in the chains of narrations by the duo of Muhamad ibn Bukhari and Muslim ibn al-Hajjaj to produce two of the most revered scriptures, second only to the Quran in status, in Sunni Islam.

The meticulous attention paid to the chains of narrations, otherwise known as Isnad, was so impressive to the greatest Islamic scholars of the time of compilation, that in spite of the fact that these works were compiled some 200 years after the death of the prophet, they still thought it was accurate. One of them being Ahmad ibn Hanbal, the initiator of the hanbali school of Sunni jurisprudence (one of the four main schools).

For all the meticulousness paid to the Isnad though, the relative ease with which contradictions and inconsistencies can be found in these hadiths tell another story. My thought is that not as much attention was paid to the content of the hadiths, otherwise called the matan, as was given to the Isnad.

The implications of this being that the prophet was either a very inconsistent person of questionable character, or the hadiths had been corrupted over time. Neither of these implications is a tenable proposition to the Sunni, as it casts aspersions on the person of the prophet, or the veracity of sahih hadiths, our even worse, both. Either way, the resulting response is the effervescing of the foundation of their faith. In fact this is exactly what happened to my Islamic faith.

As it turns out, I had built my notion of god on questionable sources. The moment this fact became apparent to me, I veered out of the fold at a rate faster than the half-life of Seaborgium

My question to Sunnis is: Why do you still hang on to sahih hadiths as sacrosanct in spite of the conspicuous inconsistencies in them?

2 Likes

Re: On The Veracity Of Sahih Ahadith by Mintayo(m): 5:53pm On Oct 13, 2014
Where is mydd44? Can this please be "catapulted" tothe islamic section??
Re: On The Veracity Of Sahih Ahadith by AgentOfAllah: 6:06pm On Oct 13, 2014
Mintayo:
Where is mydd44? Can this please be "catapulted" tothe islamic section??

"Islam for Muslims: A forum for Muslims to share their faith. Muslims only please, even the moderators are Muslims"

It says Muslims only, and I'm not Muslim anymore, so why should it be catapulted there?
------------------------
Mynd44 why?
------------------------
AlBaqir , I should like to engage you, nevertheless, it appears Mac, in his infinite wisdom, has determined I cannot make any useful contribution to this group. As a result I've been banned. The best I can do its edit my previous posts.

I left religion because of the many inconsistencies Ahmed vagueness found therein.

1 Like

Re: On The Veracity Of Sahih Ahadith by AlBaqir(m): 5:20pm On Oct 14, 2014
Really it is inconceivable whereby one part of the Sunni science of hadith (Sanad hadith - Chain of transmission) is given more authority while the other part of the science (Matn l hadith - content of hadith) is not concerned about ESPECIALLY for Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim.

In the Sunni world, Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim are untouchable. The sanad of their hadith might be authentic but definitely not the matn (content) of ALL the hadith they recorded.

Even the modern sunni most celebrated Hadith scientist, sheik Nasirudeen al-Albani also question and criticized many hadith in the two Sahih.

How True are the narrations of Sahih Bukhari and Muslim?
www.nairaland.com/1501204/how-true-narrations-sahih-bukhari
Re: On The Veracity Of Sahih Ahadith by AlBaqir(m): 5:24pm On Oct 14, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

It says Muslims only, and I'm not Muslim anymore,
------------------------

And may I know why you revert @bolded?

2 Likes

Re: On The Veracity Of Sahih Ahadith by AlBaqir(m): 9:20am On Oct 16, 2014
AgentOfAllah:

AlBaqir , I should like to engage you, nevertheless, it appears Mac, in his infinite wisdom, has determined I cannot make any useful contribution to this group. As a result I've been banned. The best I can do its edit my previous posts.

I left religion because of the many inconsistencies Ahmed vagueness found therein.

You can add me on my facebook page perhaps we can open a dialogue there.
Re: On The Veracity Of Sahih Ahadith by AgentOfAllah: 7:41am On Feb 20, 2015
AlBaqir:

You can add me on my facebook page perhaps we can open a dialogue there.

There would be no need for that. I've been *forced converted* by Nairaland. We can now engage in this thread if you're still interested.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Worst Fitnah? / Kano Pastor Castrated By Muslims / Misconception Around The First Revelation Of Our Illustrous Prophet (saws)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.