Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,223 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features (4053 Views)

Opinion : Seun Please We Need This / Seun Please Judge This Case Between Me And Sexkillz / Seun - Please Ban The Dispora Nigerians From Contributing On This Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ymodulus:

Mr I have worked extensively on files as a whole in fact for roughly all my time programming I have been working on files. I have written scripts that takes a picture and extract information like the Camera, the date, time and other meta info. I have stored images on database and even a created a virtual file system that stores image in my own way. NasDaC abuja runs satellites images in unique way i wrote the codes. I am not a kiddie in programming. I have remodified jpg extension to my own extension using a normal file system and still make the drives read them. I don't mean a htaccess tweaking it modifying output buffering.

I stop, just want to say am no kiddie in programming.
I don't care to know whether you program NASA rockets. I only want you to think reasonably please.

Mr you shoot yourself. Addition of 35kb still slows the site.
Are you serious about the Edge network?? You talk like you don't know how our networks in Nigeria are poor. Also you forget to talk about the browsing speed of the device.

Calm down don't just jump assuming trash because you feel toh want to attack seun. I believe you are one if those that set up site pack flash everywhere believing its beauty.

It makes a difference. To every 1MB page of pictures you add 35kb.

Now if you visit 100pages or reload 100times. Mathematically.

35kb * 100 = 3500kb = 3.5Mb shocked.

So you want me to waste 3.5MB of data all on profile pix or avartar ??
Hmmm. I don't even know how to respond to those words of yours lacking valid sense. 35kb will surely slow the site but NOT to the extent that it gets so BAD. A lot of people will like the thumbnail feature implemented and will gladly sacrifice the negligible reduction in speed. I called it "negligible reduction" cos it wouldn't even be noticable. If 3.5MB as you put it there matters a lot to you then I think you should really stop using the internet since you are so poor to that extent.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ymodulus:

Mr do you visit the politics section?? Nairaland . com = Nairaland.com / politics.

Sir are you saying 177 million Nigerians ruling Nigeria is better than 36governors, Appeal court , supreme court etc

Please I dont have time replying to weak statements as that lacking sense. How does giving Nairaland members voting powers to send pages to frontpage, hide posts and ban users share a similarity to 177 million Nigerians ruling Nigeria? I am no more wasting my time on you.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Ymodulus: 12:35pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ontarget:

I don't care to know whether you program NASA rockets. I only want you to think reasonably please.

Hmmm. I don't even know how to respond to those words of yours lacking valid sense. 35kb will surely slow the site but NOT to the extent that it gets so BAD. A lot of people will like the thumbnail feature implemented and will gladly sacrifice the negligible reduction in speed. I called it "negligible reduction" cos it wouldn't even be noticable. If 3.5MB as you put it there matters a lot to you then I think you should really stop using the internet since you are so poor to that extent.

Hey !!! We talk and debate but don't insult me. Please I beg you.

Now to your post reasoning reasonable why don't you suggest we do it this way.

Let people have options to enable the profile image on each post or disable it. This way

Rich guys can enable profile pictures and poor guys like me can disable it. And it becomes A WIN- WIN situation.

Is that not OK

4 Likes

Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Ymodulus: 12:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
In fact in general.

Let any feature to be implemented have the option of it been enabled or not.

That way people that don't like it will leave it and people that likes it all enable it?

End truth more work for seun an increases complexity.

You can satisfy everyone needs Man.

1 Like

Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ymodulus:

Hey !!! We talk and debate but don't insult me. Please I beg you.

Now to your post reasoning reasonable why don't you suggest we do it this way.

Let people have options to enable the profile image on each post or disable it. This way

Rich guys can enable profile pictures and poor guys like me can disable it. And it becomes A WIN- WIN situation.

Is that not OK
What is the need enabling and disabling images when you spend Mega bytes opening threads on Nairaland that contains numerous pictures? Why not ask Seun to disable the ads too so you can save more data? Ask yourself how much data size you have wasted when trying to view a member's profile picture and found none after opening the profile page. People will still save data by easily knowing who has a profile picture so they wouldnt keep wasting data opening profile pages and finding no pictures. You even ignored another benefit I listed before. It would definitely make posters put up their pictures to get noticed, and when their pictures are displaying it would make them make better comments compared to when they are anonymous having no pictures. It would help to improve Nairaland content. The overall advantage of having the thumbnail surpasses the disadvantage of the little reduction in speed.

Ymodulus:
In fact in general.

Let any feature to be implemented have the option of it been enabled or not.

That way people that don't like it will leave it and people that likes it all enable it?

End truth more work for seun an increases complexity.

You can satisfy everyone needs Man.
Majority of us will not have any problems with those features I listed so making it optional is not necessary.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Ymodulus: 12:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ontarget:

What is the need enabling and disabling images when you spend Mega bytes opening threads on Nairaland that contains numerous pictures? Why not ask Seun to disable the ads too so you can save more data? Ask yourself how much data size you have wasted when trying to view a member's profile picture and found none after opening the profile page. People will still save data by easily knowing who has a profile picture so they wouldnt keep wasting data opening profile pages and finding no pictures. You even ignored another benefit I listed before. It would definitely make posters put up their pictures to get noticed, and when their pictures are displaying it would make them make better comments compared to when they are anonymous having no pictures. It would help to improve Nairaland content. The overall advantage of having the thumbnail surpasses the disadvantage of the little reduction in speed.

Nooooo

I love Nairaland because its a faceless forum. When we start showing too many photos we will get hurt.

Aside that.

You can't force everyone to take your decision. Some will still not want images. So there should be an option to disable it.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by DonaldGenes(m): 12:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
Seun:
Thanks for your helpful and generous suggestions. We will surely implement the ones we agree with as soon as we can implement them.
I was banned on Politics Section by Ikenna351 without any idea of what I did to offend anyone- according to what the ban rule stipulated on my profile that I was slapped with a ban for violation of rule No.2
Well, I wonder who I insulted on this forum...
Anyway, I asked the guy what happened and he's yet to reply... So I just have to let it slide
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ymodulus:

Nooooo

I love Nairaland because its a faceless forum. When we start showing too many photos we will get hurt.

Aside that.

You can't force everyone to take your decision. Some will still not want images. So there should be an option to disable it.
Bro. What I am still saying is that majority will not have any problems with those features. The wish of the majority should be carried out. If you dont like them then you may quit using Nairaland. If we wait for everyone to support a useful feature then this site will never upgrade.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Pimples(m): 1:07pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ymodulus:

No. On the hidden comments showing that way no. It doesn't look professional. These was his you should have started the thread, images and proves to show what you saying. Not using terms like good user interface when we can't see a model.
Bros, You are impossible
If you were a university lecturer,
All your students will fail. Walahi
Not because they lack knowledge but because of unnecessary confusion.
Lol.
The way u go about criticising as if someone will pay u for it?

1 Like

Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Seun(m): 1:08pm On Oct 15, 2014
DonaldGenes:

I was banned on Politics Section by Ikenna351 without any idea of what I did to offend anyone- according to what the ban rule stipulated on my profile that I was slapped with a ban for violation of rule No.2
Well, I wonder who I insulted on this forum...
Anyway, I asked the guy what happened and he's yet to reply... So I just have to let it slide
RULE 1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail or tribalize threads.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 15, 2014
Seun, please we need more smileys. These ones aren't enough. embarassed
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 1:28pm On Oct 15, 2014
Any change that is mb consuming should be discouraged!
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by ERCROSS(m): 1:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
Victoriousvic:
Seun, please we need more smileys. These ones aren't enough. embarassed
Nope...
It will cause confusion...
My opinion tho...
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 15, 2014
ERCROSS:

Nope...
My opinion tho...
Confusion? How?
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by naijaboiy: 2:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
ERCROSS:

Nope...
My opinion tho...
How does smileys cause confusion
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 2:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
click2cbn:
The site is already MB consuming. Don't you view pictures in threads? If the thumbnails gets implemented I know you will be the first to cherish it. Thumbnails will only consume VERY LITTLE data. It shouldnt be a matter of too much concern. The advantage to tempt users to upload their pictures and post responsibly still worths it. You can set your browser not to display pictures if you wouldn't want the thumbnails. Our networks these days is fast enough to handle thumbnails.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by ERCROSS(m): 4:32pm On Oct 15, 2014
naijaboiy:

How does smileys cause confusion
Omo...
lipsrsealed
Me self I no knw ooo...

counter disclaimer :: I am not responsible for anything I write on Nairaland
angry
**trolls outta thread**

1 Like

Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Ymodulus: 5:05pm On Oct 15, 2014
Ontarget:

Bro. What I am still saying is that majority will not have any problems with those features. The wish of the majority should be carried out. If you dont like them then you may quit using Nairaland. If we wait for everyone to support a useful feature then this site will never upgrade.

Bro. I have given my own suggestion and I believe freedom of choice is needed, but you believe it should be forced. So go on and force it.

You say wish of the majority should be carried out. And what are the wish of the majority? Why don't you open up a voting thread , and let the first post be yours and last post be mine. Then we ask people to vote using likes while seun put the topic on front page the you can boldly talk of a majority.

Pimples:

Bros, You are impossible
If you were a university lecturer,
All your students will fail. Walahi
Not because they lack knowledge but because of unnecessary confusion.
Lol.
The way u go about criticising as if someone will pay u for it?

Are you serious?? He showed me something and I agree to what he shows me with prove an do not agree to what I do not see with prove you call that confusion?

Am so sorry bro, but I think the confusion I not by me. Its the other way round

Ontarget:

The site is already MB consuming. Don't you view pictures in threads? If the thumbnails gets implemented I know you will be the first to cherish it. Thumbnails will only consume VERY LITTLE data. It shouldnt be a matter of too much concern. The advantage to tempt users to upload their pictures and post responsibly still worths it. You can set your browser not to display pictures if you wouldn't want the thumbnails. Our networks these days is fast enough to handle thumbnails.

Mr you know what am saying about MB consumption. And you just adding more.

Its just like saying let Us let people promote more corruption with saying of there is already corruption.

click2cbn:

Gbam thanks. Brother.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Dbestmax(m): 5:13pm On Oct 15, 2014
Blebleswag:

Dislike, if need be.
Lol...na d botton I dey find so cheesy
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 15, 2014
Dbestmax:

Lol...na d botton I dey find so cheesy
Keep searchin o
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Dbestmax(m): 5:52pm On Oct 15, 2014
Blebleswag:

Keep searchin o
No worry I go soon c am...
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by DonaldGenes(m): 6:03pm On Oct 15, 2014
Seun:

RULE 1. Please post on topic always. Don't derail or tribalize threads.
Clearly understood, anyway Unban me
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by bigt2(m): 10:30pm On Oct 15, 2014
Seye25:
i agree with you except for your first point. Using nairaland as a social content saves alot of MBs than any other blogsite. Introducing the interface with designs could consume more MBs.

though, i still stand to be corrected on this opinion
this can be made simple by creating themes which users apply at will. That will be a new dimensioñ
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by daveP(m): 11:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
Oga Seun ejoor- a like feature for signatures. Some thought-provoking, sensible signatures lay overlooked at times. Also some can be hilarious, etc.

And more smileys- an applause, a dozing smiley....etc. Thank you
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 16, 2014
LastOkpaBender:

It won't destroy it. Like on most websites, we could have three options when we want to view comments, either by the order of the oldest, newest, or best. The default option could be by the order of the oldest, and if you want to see the most liked comments, you could switch to the order of the best, while those checking for the most recent by the order of the newest and so forth. The thread will still flow and nothing will have to be jumbled.
ontarget: 4.Comment Ranking
Most times when a thread has accumulated about 10 pages of comments we find it hard finding that particular intelligent comment hidden somewhere among the tons of dumb and derailed comments. I think it would be great to sort every comment according to the number of likes they have. The comment with the highest number of likes appears first after the body of the thread and then the comments with the lowest number of likes appears last. The number of likes a comment has most times reflects its quality and vice-versa
Often times the number of likes a post attract does not especially portray it as being among the creme de la creme. I have seen an otherwise naff post with a slew of likes. One thing is certain, Nairalanders like posts for varied myriad of reasons which does not invariably give a veritable evaluation of a post's superior quality - in your words "best post". Some hit the like button 'cause a post appeals to their sense of humour, for others 'cause the poster conjecture reflects theirs, the factor of the poster's popularity also play a role et al.

Argueably, most lengthy and intelligent posts seldom attract much likes 'cause many a reader have no time enough to glean through it. You hear people snivell "i didn't read all that textbook". Thus, we have a rather good post with little or no likes.

It is also not incorrect to say those posts in the first and second pages of a thread often attract more likes than those running into other pages. This is not unconnected to fact that quite a number of Nairalanders view only the first and second pages before hurrying up to glean through another thread (i'm not way out of this). Consequently, it is common to see a nice post in the third page having only a smidgen of likes.

Mind you, no post is totally an utter flimflam. What is a twaddle for one might be a good post for another.

Given the foregoing, how do we pick out the best comments since likes are, more often than not, not a true reflection of how best/good a post is? Don't you think it is best we leave it the way it is and allow viewers to sort out the best themselves?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Electronzeez(m): 3:24pm On Oct 16, 2014
Epaul is very intelligent.
Epaul:

Often times the number of likes a post attract does not especially portray it as being among the creme de la creme. I have seen an otherwise naff post with a slew of likes. One thing is certain, Nairalanders like posts for varied myriad of reasons which does not invariably give a veritable evaluation of a post's superior quality - in your words "best post". Some hit the like button 'cause a post appeals to their sense of humour, for others 'cause the poster conjecture reflects theirs, the factor of the poster's popularity also play a role et al.

Argueably, most lengthy and intelligent posts seldom attract much likes 'cause many a reader have no time enough to glean through it. You hear people snivell "i didn't read all that textbook". Thus, we have a rather good post with little or no likes.

It is also not incorrect to say those posts in the first and second pages of a thread often attract more likes than those running into other pages. This is not unconnected to fact that quite a number of Nairalanders view only the first and second pages before hurrying up to glean through another thread (i'm not way out of this). Consequently, it is common to see a nice post in the third page having only a smidgen of likes.

Mind you, no post is totally an utter flimflam. What is a twaddle for one might be a good post for another.

Given the foregoing, how do we pick out the best comments since likes are, more often than not, not a true reflection of how best/good a post is? Don't you think it is best we leave it the way it is and allow viewers to sort out the best themselves?

1 Like

Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 4:46pm On Oct 16, 2014
Epaul:

I am aware of this but I believe that MOST TIMES the number of likes a comment has is directly proportional to the quality of the comment. A good comment is not all about the best opinion or idea. A good comment can also be about the comment that makes people laugh and entertained. I still believe the number of likes a comment has is the best gauge to select the good comments because it works MOST TIMES.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 17, 2014
Electronzeez:
Epaul is very intelligent.
I'm humbled. Thanks a bunch sir.
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Electronzeez(m): 10:20am On Oct 18, 2014
Its crystal clear you are,.....welcome.
Epaul:
I'm humbled. Thanks a bunch sir.

1 Like

Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Complexalfa(m): 7:58am On Nov 01, 2014
'
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by SlyIg(f): 8:11pm On Nov 01, 2014
Ymodulus:

Well I will be forced to ask you what the definition of a good User Interface is?
1. Do you term a User Interface full with all unnecessary Javascript / jquery effects and heavy background images as good ?

The visitor should not wonder if that's the beat thing Nigeria can come up in terms of design, The most popular forums are ugly. Just name it. From

- American biggest forum(. I.e American version of Nairaland. reddit.com )?
-Ghanian Version (I.e Ghana bas(z)e. Com )?
- Most popular Mobile Forum (I.e Xda-developers.com) ?
- Middle east/ Arab (Araimehqu )? Can't recall actually spelling.

A Visitor that thinks that this is the best Nigeria can come up with is short sighted. Even in China, Japan most forums are ugly go check Baidu Forum ( Chinese version of Google. Most popular site in China is called Baidu, Her forum is called Baidu Forum. )

I still don't see how your point makes a difference. No offence. Also the idea of thumbnail in my opinion will make the site unnecessarily Bogus and too flashy. Also it will make the site slow.

Every thumbnail be it loaded on Nairaland's CDN (content delivery network) or on a Dropbox server or Windows Azure or Amazon Drive or Google Drive will still have an impact on the speed of accessing / viewing each thread on Nairaland.
Every thumbnail you see will be more than 5kb. Programmatically, every picture with a white background have a content of 1024bytes [ 1kg ] * 5 = 5kg. Then how much colorful background. This in one way or the other will impact on The cost of me viewing Nairaland. Call me a MISER or a Stingy Fellow but I must tell you I don't want to spend 1MB viewing to page of a thread on Nairaland. I can barely afford a N100 day meal not to talk of MB, so also the Majority on NL.

I understand your point here perfectly. But I have to say, an Utilitarian System of Justice (a system of Justice where the idea of something been good or bad is determined by the vote of the majority.). This is not justice, we no longer live in Rome and nairaland is not a gladiator arena. We are in the 21st century, where rules, laws and regulations are been made and people are expected to Break, twist or bend but not break them.

What am saying sir, is voting system is not the best as it can also be abused. Introduce such and we will see some FACTIONS arising, we will see THE PRO- PDP's on Nairaland going against the PROGRESSIVES like I, we will see a situation of blinded system of justice.

Let me not go further its bad. To introduce such type of Justice. I agree with you that some moderators have abused their powers.

Nairaland Rules and regulations are enough and OK. Its like a constitution.

Nooooooooooooo !!!! Don't do this its not right. Sir please you destroying beauty and chronological flow. Ooooooooooo you abuse Simplicity and its unending Joy.

Now bro, I understand what you mean but I havto say the Voting system is mostly used on Questions and Answers site like Qoura.com (biggest question and answer site ), or StackOverflow.com (one of the largest website in the world also questions and answer), Yahoo answers, Google groups.

This ranking system is based on Answers or Opinion that are nice and meaningfull appearing first before others.

Sir, Nairaland is no Question and answer site or does not share same idea as those sites. Also this ranking of comments and changing their position will disrupt coherence of several post. Imagine a User B replying to another User A and User B comment is liked 500times and so becomes first on page. If a visitor should visit that thread and sees user B comment as first he will be confused cause he never understands how the discussion started.

Its like jumping into a talk and you have no idea of what the talk is about. So for me this is a no. If Nairaland had been an Opinion / Question answer site I would have supported this.

Well this is great, As I see it been useful in the business sections, technology market, phone market , web market, programming market, fashion market and all kind of market place on Nairaland. It will help people identify fake buyers or sellers or dubious nairalanders.

But, you should know even at this there will still be Nairalanders who in need of bad reputation. Also sir I will like to know what logic, you will want seun to use in creating this Reputation Badge system idea.

Reason I ask is that all logic I think off have short comings

1. In Some websites, the older the User have registered the more his reputation. (Hmmm this means people like Marieolae who just registered September and have become famous on romance will be considered not famous)

2. Voting system, hmmm this can be abused but it's the most logical way.

3. I can't recall the Name but its the biggest forum for the Middle East. In that forum the more the number of Mentions the more popularity you get. (I think this is good. As I can't find a logical flaw with this yet).

Let me stop here, I will please like you to reply me on Point No 5.

Could this be our oga Seun?
Re: Seun Please Upgrade Nairaland And Introduce These Features by Greyworld: 8:41am On Nov 02, 2014
D funniest point of dis presidential debate is ........haivin abt a milion nairalanders function as mods, dat wud only lead 2 a 2nd cataclysmic failure of our lovely nairaland, d 1st beind wen our datas we're illegally wiped.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nylon / The Programming Section Of Nl Is Now Bloody Worthless / How To Change OR Number To Your NIN NIMC Mobile App (Free DIY) Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.