Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss (842 Views)

Court Dismisses FG’s Suit To Extradite Kashamu / FG To Extradite Lawal Olaniyi Babafemi, To U.S. / N2.1Billion Of N1,000 Notes Missing At NSPMC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by dkingsman82(m): 6:30am On Oct 14, 2014
A former Managing Director of the Nigerian Security, Minting and Printing Company, Mr. Ehidiamhem Okoyomon, has opposed the request by the Attorney-General of the Federation, Mr. Mohammed Adoke, to extradite him to the United Kingdom to face bribery charges.
The UK government was said to have asked that Okoyomon be extradited to answer questions over his alleged role in the bribery allegation involving officials of the Central Bank of Nigeria, the NSMPC and the Securency International Pty of Australia between 2006 and 2008.
Okoyomon has asked a Federal High Court in Abuja to dismiss Adoke’s extradition application, insisting that “there is no extradition Treaty existing between Nigeria and the United Kingdom.”
An affidavit in support of the suit dated October 7 and filed on October 10, 2014, stated, “That I know that Nigeria is not a party to the 1931 Extradition Treaty between the United States of America and it is not applicable in Nigeria.
“That the London Scheme for Extradition within the Commonwealth, 2002, does not apply in Nigeria.”
“That I know as a fact that Nigeria is not a signatory nor has it ratified the Treaty between the United States of America and Great Britain.”
The affidavit was deposed to by one Josephine Majebi.
Okoyomon’s counsel, Alex Izinyon (SAN) also said that the AGF’s extradition application failed to satisfy provisions of Sections 1(1) – (6) of the Extradition Act.
Izinyon also argued that the extradition application by Adoke disclosed no cause of action against his client and the AGF, who instituted the application, lacked the locus standi to do so.
Further faulting the legal basis for the proposed extradition, Izinyon maintained that there had been “no Order of the President published in any Federal Gazette applying the provisions of the Extradition Act for the extradition of persons to the United Kingdom”.
“That the United Kingdom is not one of the countries listed in the First Schedule to the Extradition Act, CAP E25, LFN 2004, to which the Extradition Act, Cap 25, LFN, 2004, applies,” the supporting affidavit added.
Izinyon, at the Monday’s proceedings, sought to merge the suit with a separate one in which he is seeking “an order setting aside any request or order or purported order by the requested state of the United Kingdom against the applicant.”
But Mr. M.S Hassan, who represented the AGF, said it was premature to request for the consolidation of the two suits when he had yet to receive a copy of the suit.
Justice Chukwu has fixed both matters for October 22 for further hearing
Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by dkingsman82(m): 6:31am On Oct 14, 2014
Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by OAUTemitayo: 6:37am On Oct 14, 2014
yeye dey smell
Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by MaleoPearls(m): 6:39am On Oct 14, 2014
He speaks freely because na him get him bucca-cavity.
Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by tayoxx(m): 8:54am On Oct 14, 2014
Nigeria Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by nigerianvenom(m): 9:09am On Oct 14, 2014
why is he afraid of going to the uk to face the charges if he is innocent?
Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 14, 2014
Central Bank of Nigeria, the NSMPC and the Securency International Pty of Australia between 2006 and 2008.
Before some Jonathan's Zombies will cry foul, As at the period between 2006 and 2008 Professor Chukwuma Soludo was the CBN Governor, Sanusi as at then was still at First Bank of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by Canme4u(m): 9:24am On Oct 14, 2014
Ole!!! He was quoting loophole in Nigeria law in other to avoid been extradicted for the crime he commited since Nigeria the country he robbed, is not ready to do the needful.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by dkingsman82(m): 9:49pm On Oct 14, 2014
Fear dey catch am
Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by supersonic(m): 11:24pm On Oct 14, 2014
Nothing stop the Nigerian government from arresting this man. He should be extradited and wen he comes back,he should be tried and jailed.

Re: Nigeria Can’t Extradite Me To UK – Ex-nspmc Boss by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 15, 2014
Okay.l

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Ceos Of International Companies / PDP Office In Port Harcourt On Fire / Nigeria Detains Military Commanders For Abandoning Mubi To Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.